Diamondback 2001 Mr. Lucky BMX Bike

3.38/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by chris a Racer from mankato, mn usa

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2011

Strengths:    I have pretty much kept the bike stock besides the handlebars and the tires. I have had no problems with anything major. I weigh over 200lbs and am 6ft 4in tall. It is a great bike and I like it a lot. I have been riding it from 2001 when I bought it. I use it for trails, street, dirt and pretty much anything that I can get my tires on.

Weaknesses:    the only weak points that I came across have been the handlebars, I had to replace them after flatlanding a dirt set of doubles and I bent the right side down when I landed. I replaced them with a set of snafu's and have not had any issues since. that was within the first two years. Also, in 2009, on my way to work the original chain snapped on me at one point. I bought a heavy duty one to replace it and have had no more issues. The stock sprocket was not round and would cause the chain to hop a bit so I replaced that too. Also, the brakes really are not that good. They work, barely, but enough to feather while riding wheelies.

Bottom Line:
I love it and wont be buying another bmx for a very long time. I have already owned her for 10 years or more. I just take care of it and it takes care of me.

Favorite Trail:   spring lake park

Purchased At:   Mt Kato

Similar Products Used:   Older bmx bikes.... diamondback assault 98 and 2000,

Bike Setup:   stock plus snafu handlebars, odessey 90 psi tires, and a heavy duty chain. oh and a newer sprocket that was more round.

Submitted by Fyro a Downhiller from Adelaide, South Australia

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2010

Strengths:    Think it was the 06ish model. This thing is a tank. Haven't really threahed it as much as I could, but the parts are alright, take a beating.

Also fairly hard to break. Nice clicker too

Weaknesses:    This thing weighs more than a tank. Something like 15-16 kg, not good for BMX racing, ok for DJ and average for street.

Tektro cable brakes are crap, work alright if you take care of them, but cable streches too easily.

Get something else for DJ

Bottom Line:
Overall, looks fairly good, nice design, but if you want something to race or DJ, get something that weighs at least 5 kg lighter.

Get new brakes too. But it rides fairly smooth, loud clicker, solid frame and alright for street and cruising around.

I suggest to at least pick up a bike to see how heavy it is, I didn't, and hated the fact that it weighs too much to even simply lift up the front easily. But still quite a smooth ride.

Favorite Trail:   Willunga (SA)

Purchased At:   Standish Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Mates Free Agect chrome bmx.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Rohan Neilson from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2003

Strengths:    cheap. same frame as sherman

Weaknesses:    parts are crap

Bottom Line:
lasted me (an almost 190lb rider) over a year but only frame & stem are still standard -everything else has broken but find a bike for less than my cranks and wheels cost that won't. I dont regret buying this bike -theres not alot of options over here and all of them break. ive seen similar priced bikes do alot worse. you can either fork out $1500 now for a really nice bike or slowly upgrade the parts on a crap one such as the mr lucky as you progress.
(on the other hand maybe not everyone needs ss cranks and hazards cos they break everything else)

Favorite Trail:   www.timarubmx.cjb.net

Similar Products Used:   a gt a trek and a few borrowed haros

Bike Setup:   milk bars & thermal forks, fsa pig, primo seat & pedals, profile cranks

Submitted by Rohan . from new zealand

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2002

Strengths:    cheap, stronger than anything in same price range
good geometry for dirt jumps, spec + frame

Weaknesses:    broken: wheel, cranks, forks, headset, seatpost, seat, sprocket and original chain a few times,
bars awkward

Bottom Line:
sure tha cranks snapped but Ive bent my profiles since. the bars never bent but the slim bars i put on did. forks have lasted well really, good buy but be prepared to replace stuff

Favorite Trail:   levels

Similar Products Used:   a gt, a trek, tried lots of other bikes

Bike Setup:   profile cranks, milk bars, b-52 pedals, some other guys back wheel, db sprocket, 41 dirt forks soon.

Submitted by Lance a Weekend Warrior from Michigan

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2001

Strengths:    Nice Handlebars, Good tires and rims.

Weaknesses:    sucky brakes, gyro, seat, front fork looks weird and doesnt help with aerodynamics at all.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy this bike it is not worth the price at all. it was almost the worst bike i have ever had except for my mongoose hoop d. DO NOT BUY THIS BIKE!

Similar Products Used:   GT mach one, Haro backtrail* 3, Mongoose Hoop D(SUCKS), Mongoose speacial Edition, Dyno Compe and many more!

Bike Setup:   Just normal

Submitted by Steven Glanzer a Weekend Warrior from Lawton, OK

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2001

Strengths:    strong frame, seat is a great piece of art work but do not keep on leg for to long. Three piece crank is hard to beat as a stock item

Weaknesses:    brakes suck and micro-adjust seat post gave out on me

Bottom Line:
great bike can not beat parts for the price. stock brakes need to be replaced immediatley

Purchased At:   Terry's bike shop

Bike Setup:   odyessey eveolver 990 brakes wwhich work well other than that stock

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Warren,R.I.

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2001

Strengths:    Frame holds up real well.Chromo fork and handlebars held out well also. Cranks can take a lot of abuse.

Weaknesses:    Brakes are not what they should be. And the rims couldn't take as much abuse as they should.

Bottom Line:
The held up pretty good but i would change the brakes and the rims. Overal this bike is an american bad ass!

Favorite Trail:   Dunkin Donuts Center