Yeti Cycles AS-R 575 Race Disc All Mountain Full Suspension

4.91/5 (46 Reviews)

Submitted by Ryan01 a Weekend Warrior from Denver CO USA

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2009

Strengths:    Great Bike! Beautiful looks and great construction/ build quality. The anodized blk is so scratch resistant its crazy! Ive had this bike for 3 years and have crashed more times than I want to count and the bike has 1 tiny spec of a scratch! Amazing! Gets looks all the time! Climbs like a mtn goat!

Weaknesses:    nothing really, don't use the pro pedal out here in Colorado much due to too many rocks to climb over so i like the open rear suspension.

Bottom Line:
This bike makes me a better rider and the fact the the Yeti company is a great company to deal I will always buy their bike, unless the product goes to crap.

The warranty dept is amazing and these guys (Seth) stand behind their product! And that says a lot compared to many companies out here!

Only thing Yeti! I like the orange color but it needs to be anodized and more of a burnt orange color! i would buy one just to have it!

Favorite Trail:   Halls Ranch, Dakota Ridge

Purchased At:   Racine Cyclery, Raci

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Specialized, Elsworth (too pricey!)

Bike Setup:   stock except for Sram 990 rear cause the red looks great and a little lighter than stock!

Submitted by sammyk a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2008

Strengths:    Climbs better than my hardtail with propedal on and comes down most technical sections with ease. Very stiff and light frameset.

Bottom Line:
Best overall trail bike I've ever ridden, hands down. What more can I say?

Favorite Trail:   Red Box - El Prieto

Purchased At:   Various

Similar Products Used:   Sepcialized Stumperjumper, Giant Trance and Santa Cruz Nomad

Bike Setup:   Full carbon rear triangle, XT drivetrain, Fox Float fork, and RP23 shock.

Submitted by BigJ from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2008

Strengths:    Light yet has the travel to handle big drops. Yeti customer service! SMOOTH on the downhill.

Weaknesses:    I'm a bigger rider, it would be nice if they add a XXL to their lineup sometime in the future.

Bottom Line:
You can read the other reviews about how great this bike is, I agree with all of them. I just want to give kudos to Yeti for their customer service. I recently returned from Gooseberry Mesa and broke the frame at the weld (rear triangle where the chainstay meets the swingarm). It was a bummer, as you can imagine, but things happen. When I returned I called Yeti, a bit concerned about how much this would cost me--I mean, I've had the bike over three years, moved a few states away from where I purchased it and didn't have a receipt. Seth answered the phone and I told him what happened. He asked me where I bought it, I gave him my answer, and he apologized for my bike breaking. Without hesitating he told me the name of the local shop to take it to, the name of the person to talk to, and that he was shipping me a new rear triangle for free (cross-transit, so I would get it quicker). The local shop I went to was outstanding (Zumwalt's) and I was up and running in about 6 days! No hassles, no drama, no excuses. This company stands behind their product and treats their customers well!! And so does Zumwalt's

Purchased At:   Wheat Ridge Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Intense 5.5, Titus Moto-Lite

Bike Setup:   Race Disc

Submitted by Chet Wright a Weekend Warrior from Las Cruces, NM

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2008

Strengths:    Great descender, good climber. Anodized black frame looks new although the bike is 2005 model. Get into the groove with this bike, it's fast.

Weaknesses:    I've ridden the heck out of this bike, I can't find any.

Bottom Line:
This bike is amazing. I have ridden with kids 30 years younger, and while they wax me on the climbs, I match the elsewhere. This bike is confidence inspiring, and it loves to go fast.
The Yeti 575 doubles as a good XC bike, is great at technical stuff, certainly better than my riding ability.

Favorite Trail:   Sierra Vista

Purchased At:   From another biker

Similar Products Used:   I moved up from a Fuel EX-8

Bike Setup:   Nixon Platinum Fork, Fox RP-3, SRAM X-O shifters and RD, Chris King headset, Thomson seat post, Titec carbon bars. Mavic 819 wheelset, Hope hubs

Submitted by Maximiliano Cabezas a Weekend Warrior from Santiago, Chile

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2008

Strengths:    Excellent ALL AROUND Bike! Great climber, and even better on DH. Very confortable riding position. Feels very much in control of handlebars on tight and fast descending trails. Considering the travel of the RP23 Fox, it feels amazingly light. Cool looks and great paint job from Yeti. Just doesn't seem to scratch with the anodized cover.

Weaknesses:    Tires. But not much of a problem if you're willing to swap them for some Maxxis Larsen TT's for summer or some heavy duty fatties for winter. No such problem with wide tires.

Bottom Line:
My bike is a 07'. Iv'e seen now that Yeti has increased the price or the same model but 08'. Costing aproximatly 400 dolars more, for basically the same bike.
Never the less I fully recomend this bike, but also consider taking a test ride of the Santa Cruz Blur LT, Heckler, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, or even the Giant Reign 0. All these Bikes come pretty close in certain areas of performance to the yeti. So it all boils down to how it actally feels on the road.

Favorite Trail:   San Carlos de Apoquindo, Chile

Purchased At:   Yeti Cycles: HandBuilt RaceBred

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro Pro 04', Giant Reign 0 07', Gary Fisher HiFi

Bike Setup:   Standard Enduro Race Kit from www.yeticycles.com
Fox Float 140 RLC - Fox Shock RP23 - Handlebar: Raceface Carbon - Seatpost: Thompson Elite - Rims: DT 540 - Complete Shimano XT Set except REAR DER which is XTR - Brakes: Shimano XT - 160 rotor on rear and 180 rotor up front (this I upgraded).

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2007

Strengths:    All round ability (climbs and decends like a dream), stiffness, light, looks

Weaknesses:    Gives you too much confidence, but maybe thats not a bad thing.

Bottom Line:
I havent ridden this bike for long but I already know that this is the bike for me. When I test rode it I felt at home within a 100 meters which didnt happen by the end of any other test ride. The bottom line ... it just does everything, very very well.

Favorite Trail:   Kirroughtree, Scotland

Purchased At:   Adrenaline Bikes

Similar Products Used:   I demo'd a number of bikes including, santa cruz heckler - nice but wasnt as smooth. Turner spot - just felt big, really big. Specialised enduro - had the wrong size so wasnt a good test, but the forks still need work, they are too hard on climb setting and too soft on descent. Santa cruz nomad - nice bike but a fair bit more expensie and no better.

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575 2008 carbon race rp23, with race face deus crank and talas rlc forks.

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Boulder,Co,USA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2007

Strengths:    Well balanced for variety of trails, but excells on long, rough rides. Craftmanship and durablity. Great components.

Weaknesses:    Juicy 7 brake squall in rear. I didn't have this problem with the bike I demoed, just the one I bought and also w/ Blur LT I demoed. Fixed using orgainic pads.

Bottom Line:
I demoed both the Santa Cruz Blur LT and 575, with nearly identical builds. I spent a few days on each and found them both so equally good, that I had to compare notes on the same trails. Both bikes are excellent for long epic rides with a variety of terrain. I ended up choosing the Yeti because it was more confident when the trail gets nasty. It handles steep rock stairs, rock chutes, balancy catwalks much better when descending and slightly better when climbing. It is easier to loft the 575's front wheel and I'm more confident attempting stunts. Definitely has a high fun factor on rough trails. Although the Yeti is quite good in the corners, the Blur LT is exceptional, especially when changing directions in loose materials. So for me, the bike choice came down to trail conditions and many of my favorite trails have rock gardens and other rough technical sections, that gulp, really grab your attention.

My biggest concern with the 575 was that it bottomed out easily when I set shock sag to "all mountains plush" settings. It bottomed off small drops with the front derailleur hitting the swing arm with 25-30% sag. It was fine with less sag, but less plush. Based on reviewer, "ns" comments I got the DHX Air shock (thanks much ns !). Couldn't be happier with this choice. I can set up the shock super plush and use the boost valve to prevent bottoming out. With propedal on the rear end rides higher and doesn't bob.

The bike is built with a lot of love, sports beautiful craftsmanship, and it holds up well. No service issues after 50-60 of hard trail hours. The simple suspension design should require less service.

I've been having a blast on the Yeti. Just love to open her up down rocky chutes and I now attach rock gardens. If I fail on a section, I just turn around and hit it again because the Yeti can climb or descend just about anything I've hit so far. I keep adding extra miles in my outings because the bike is so light and efficient. This is a great bike for epic rides that include rough, technical riding.

Favorite Trail:   Upper Sourdough & Jamestown Creek

Purchased At:   Sports Garage

Similar Products Used:   Blur LT (demoed), Nomand (demoed, too sluggish on flats for long rides, otherwise awesome), Specialized Enduro (own).

Bike Setup:   Carbon Race version, DHX Air, anodized finish (holds up well). Hope hubs, Mavic 819 UST rims, and tubeless 2.1 Nevegal tires. XTR pedals for less technical rides, 545s for the rest

Submitted by P-man a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2007

Strengths:    This bike kicks a$$ at everything ! Nearly 6 inches at 26 pound, there is a god.

Weaknesses:    Certainly none i can think of. Maybe price, but you only get what you pay for. Saying that, Spoken gave me a killer deal.

Bottom Line:
For my style of riding, which covers everything from all day epics, enduro racing, dirt crits & riding with buddies on weekends, this bike does it all with a big elephant stamp. It brings a smile to my dial everytime i throw a leg over it. If you got a bit to spend, and want a rig that will do everything, this is the puppy.

Purchased At:   Spoken

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   575 carbon, SRAM X9, Avid Juicy, Spinergy Xyclones, Thompson

Submitted by Marc a Cross Country Rider from Ohio

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent bike for epic rides and aggressive cross-country riding. I also use it for sport class time trial and cross country racing. Exceptionally stable for nearly 6" of travel. Does most everything well- climbs, downhills, etc.

Weaknesses:    Mine weighs in at 30 pounds. To do it again I would have built it for no more than 27 pounds. However, I'm using my bike for 50 mile trail rides AND 10 mile time trial races- that's asking a lot from one bike.

Bottom Line:
After two seasons in the saddle, I would highly recommend the 575- particularly if you are looking for one bike to do it all.

I would also recommend that you buy from a local bike shop. I had a some problems with Adrenaline and will never buy a bike on-line again.

Purchased At:   Adrenaline

Similar Products Used:   Demo'd everything for a year- Blur LT was a close second.

Bike Setup:   Race Disc- X0 RD and shifters, Kenda Nevegal front, small block rear, RP23.

Submitted by matt sleutjes a Cross Country Rider from westlake vl ca usa

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2007

Strengths:    light frame for the travel (146mm) very ballenced, strong!!!, love the setup and SRAM ROCKS mutch better then shimano

Weaknesses:    nothing at all

Bottom Line:
best bike i have had would done and herd nothing about good things on it. best allround, i race, jump, freeride, and do long local rides in thousand oaks

every 1 should have 1

Favorite Trail:   space mountain

Purchased At:   cynergy cycles

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz blur lt, specialized enduro sl

Bike Setup:   08 fox 32 float rlc, xo rear, xt front, rp23, x9 shifters, juicy 7 brakes, dt swis enduro 540 wheels

Submitted by Mark Lyndon a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand Auckland

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2007

Strengths:    Balance, pedaling platform, huge travel, ridng position, quality

Weaknesses:    hard to justify the time I spend reading MTB mags when I got the "one"

Bottom Line:
I have spent yesrs planning for a new bike have read way to much mags etc and have ridden the above bikes.
I liked the Blurs suspension felt like it pushes you along.
I liked the Stumpy 120 was plush compared to the Kona
The Ephinany was fanatstic, persuaded me that 5 " of travel was what the doctor ordered. Couldnt justify the $, but luckily a 575 come up for sale and as this was the bike I had been drooling over for years I snapped it up.
Previous owner has lavished care on the steed so was like brand new especialy with 07 wheels off his new 575 carbon!

Well I can say that the 575 lives up to and exceeds all expectations, it pedals beatifuly and feels firm under power and where do those roots etc go! when climbing a 6" ledge/root just disappears with a thup, it devours square edge bumps and all others.
I have ridden all my fav loops from XC to techy downhills and it rips on all and flies over 2-3 ft jumps etc.
The RP3 is good I ride in the mid seeting ad only use the full open for the full on down hill track and the firm settng for long fireroad climbs

The riding position was one I had qualms about, as all reviews say ride from center etc, wasnt to sure if that was what I wanted but I have to say it is very comfortable and feels efficient and relaxing.
The steering is a bit slower than the 71 deg of the Kona and needs a bit more leaning into corners but this feels very natural and enjoyable.

I recommend this to anyone who likes to ride trails, climb descend and have fun.
The build quality is good, this is an 07 and looks new, no problem with the ANO finish.
Nice to have some Bling to show off as well BUY ONE!

Favorite Trail:   B rude not 2

Purchased At:   Pre loved

Similar Products Used:   Kona Kahuna (5yrs), ELs Ephinany, Blur XC, Stumpy 120, Heckler

Bike Setup:   06 Frame Black Ano, XT drivetrain, Thompson Cockpit, 07 DT Swiss 540 wheels set

Submitted by ns from east coast

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2007

Strengths:    A ridiculously fun bicycle! Super stable at warp speeds, predictable, plush and climbs exceptionally well. The 575 is an amazingly versatile frame and for some it may even be that elusive "one" bike. It can be built heavier for aggro search and destroy trail riding...a lighter build yields a longer travel endurance racer, secret weapon for the more brutal venues....and the folks at Yeti are over the top in customer service.

Weaknesses:    Way too much fun....conducive to burning through rest days and over training?I've heard of heavier riders experiencing some flex in the rear. I'm 180lbs dressed and have zero issues with a flexy tail. I do, however, go through hangers. They seem to be a little soft.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden this bike at least four days a week, usually five or six, year round since November 04, logged some miles for sure. It still makes me smile. Huge. I was thinking about replacing it the other day.....with a different color. I'm bored with the black. Over it. Truthfully, that is the only thing I would change on my frame. The guys in Golden nailed this one.

As mentioned above, I'm about 180lbs or so dressed with sac of water and I'm 5'10". No unique anatomy. The medium fits me well. Ample standover. I ride with a 90mm stem but have a longer (120) stem that stretches the cockpit nicely, dig it for epic rides. Suspension - wise I ride with the DHX most of the time, however, I have the stock RP3 that is considerably lighter than the DHX. If I had to choose between the DHX or the RP3, I would likely keep the RP3. It's a better all around shock for this bike. That being said, I am stoked on the DHX ( no stuck down issues). Lottsa tunability, and changes the ride of the bike tremendously. Preferable for mowing down baby heads at warp speeds, a bit more solid and even more plush. More plusher? Again, makes me smile and giggle. Man, I retract the previous statement, I'd keep the DHX. If you know you will be riding this bike consistently at the upper end of its capability consider the DHX. I'm told that fox will tune it to the 575, don't know for sure. And add a 36 or similar fork. If you will be spending more of your time in less hostile terrain the RP3 may be a better choice.

In regard to the capability of the 575, I don't know what to say about the "upper end." I'm not a hucker. Besides, if you truly are, you're not likely to be reading this. I'm all about the bleeding lungs and blurred vision brand of trail riding. Think full face with a heart rate monitor. There is a certain amount of air requisite to my favorite trails and the bike handles it better than I do. I accidently went big once.

On the uphill the 575 is a dream. It may be a bit happier staying seated and spinning but there is no penalty for out of the saddle uphill charging. It tracks and it's hard to lose traction with 5.75" of travel. But there are always other variables...

And mentioning variables....not considering tires, dirt and suspension the 575 is super predictable in corners. No surprises, things break loose at about the same time. If one is used to or looking for very quick XC type steering they will likely be disappointed. 69 degrees is not super slack, but it does not make for twitchy quick steering. 69 degrees does, however, make for great trail bike steering. Back to the stable and predictable part. It's hard to screw up with this bike. It's exceptionally forgiving.

There is much talk of brake jack and I've been intimate with it in past bikes. I very purposely attempted to induce it in the 575 and noticed very little. Not an issue in this particular single pivot design. I do notice that the 575 is less supple over smaller features, bumps, etc. than some other bikes. This may be a trade off for smoothness through the majority of the stroke and pedaling efficiency. Again, it's not been an issue and in my opinion not a consideration in the overall ride. Besides, If you only hit big bumps you won't notice.

Durability? I've read some comments regarding the triangle on the top tube. It s strength was being questioned. Indicative of a solid middle school level understanding of physics and geometry. Strong as it needs to be. I break a lot of stuff but this frame hangs in there. I have heard of a few cracked frames and a single instance of a failed carbon pivot. All of which were quickly and happily dealt with by Yeti.

In sum, The 575 can be built into about any type of trail bike one desires. It is not a freeride bike, not an XC racer. It is a weapon of choice for many super d courses and it may be an endurance racer. If you are reading these reviews in an effort to sort things out for a trail bike purchase this bike is certainly worthy of consideration. And Yeti backs their product up in a way that is all too rare. Fortunately for us, there are many fantastic bicycles out there. It's difficult to go wrong. As well, remember that when demoing bikes the ride is suspension dependent. Super bike rides like super crap if you or shop person don't tune correctly. Be sure it's adjusted for you and the trail...all of it, not just sag. The only person I've met who didn't absolutely love his 575 had in a bad way.

Similar Products Used:   Many great bikes: SC blur (original), Superlight, Heckler, Stumpies, Enduros, Tracer, 5.5,...

Bike Setup:   At the moment: 575 w alum rear, Push tuned TALAS RLC, DHX, XT crankset w Race Face bash ring, 07 X9 shifters, Nokons, XO carbon mid cage rear, Xgen front, Juicy 7 185mm up front and the orig Hayes hfx carbon 160mm in the rear. CK headset, SIC bars, Thomson seat post, Thomson 90mm stem, Schwalbe UST Fat Albert F, Nobby Nic R.

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Castle Rock, CO

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2007

Strengths:    Great ride -- turns well, very stable at speed and descending
Great service -- see below!

Bottom Line:
Here's a letter I sent to Yeti that I'd like to share with everyone who comes to mtbr.com:

Yeti Staff,

I'd like to say THANKS! to all the folks at Yeti who helped me out while I was in Moab a couple of weeks ago. You guys are GREAT!!

I went to Moab, UT, to ride bikes with the Believers On Mountain Bikes (BOMB) club the week of April 15-20, 2007. BOMB is a Christian group that I've been riding with for a couple of years. The trip has been planned for months, people from BOMB chapters all over the country were converging on Moab, and I was very excited about it.

After riding in Grand Junction (Ribbon and Holy Cross) on Monday, then Sovereign in Moab on Tuesday, a group of us who are pretty hard-core technical riders headed out to the 5 Miles of Hell trail on Wednesday. 3 miles into the 5MoH trail (which is actually 8 miles of highly technical rock riding), one of the welds on my rear triangle broke. My ride was over and I had to hike 3 miles back to my truck.

On the way back to Moab, I called and talked to Seth Mukai at Yeti. I told him where I was, how long the trip had been planned, and what a bummer it was that this occurred in the middle of such an eagerly anticipated vacation. Seth said "No problem, take it to Poison Spider". I arrived at Poison Spider in Moab an hour later and they said "We already talked to Yeti, the replacement part is on its way via UPS overnight, we'll get right on it as soon as it arrives." I was very happy to hear that.

Unfortunately, Poison Spider informed me that UPS overnight arrives about 12pm each day and my bike would be ready about 2pm. There was a big BOMB ride scheduled for 9am! I called Yeti back, talked to Seth again, he talked to the guys at Poison Spider, and the next thing I knew I was rolling out of the shop with a brand new 2007 Yeti 575 to ride on Thursday courtesy of Yeti. OUTSTANDING!!

After a great day of riding on Thursday, I returned to Poison Spider only to find out that they had discovered a crack in the front triangle of my bike. The good news was that they had already called Yeti and a replacement was on its way -- once again, overnight.

After riding a rental again on Friday, I got back to Poison Spider and there was my bike -- brand new front triangle, brand new rear triangle (with carbon fiber chain stays -- very, very cool). Basically a brand new bike.

Everyone I talked to in Poison Spider and several other bike shops said "No other manufacturer would do that for you -- they'd just say 'Sorry about that, we'll ship the parts to your original dealer and you can take care of it when you get back home.' " Everyone was shocked and impressed by Yeti's commitment to customer satisfaction.

THANKS, YETI !!! I'm a member of the Yeti tribe for life. I would highly recommend that anyone who wants a great bike backed by fantastic service check out the Yeti line-up and make a selection. The ride of the bike and the folks at Yeti will ensure you're happy with your decision!

Jim Mason