Yeti Cycles AS-R 575 Pro All Mountain Full Suspension

4.95/5 (19 Reviews)

Features: Yeti 575 Pro Complete Bike -Frame: Yeti 575 7005 Alloy -Rear Shock: Fox CTD -Fork: Fox 34 150 CTD ADJ 15mm Tapered -Front Brake: Shimano XTR -Rear Brake: Shimano XTR -Shifters: Shimano XTR -Crankset: Shimano XTR (26-38) -Bottom Bracket: Shimano XTR -Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR -Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR -Cassette: Shimano XTR -Chain: Shimano XTR -Wheelset: DT Swiss X1700 Tricon -Front Tire: Maxxis -Pedals: Not included -Headset: Cane Creek -Stem: Thomson 4X -Handlebar: Easton Haven Carbon -Grips: Yeti Lock-on -Seatpost: Thomson Elite -Saddle: WTB -*Parts spec subject to change without notice.*

Submitted by Dave a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs great, descends great. 26.25 lbs w/ nearly 6" of travel!

Weaknesses:    Rear can flex (I have the carbon rear triangle). I flip the pro-pedal on when climbing and off to descend. (not really a weakness, but the bike would "bob" too much while climbing without having it on for my taste.)

Bottom Line:
This has been a great bike, so it's about time I show some love with a quality review! I bought this new with the full XTR build in the spring of 2008. I ride 2-3 days a week and now have over 4,000 miles as I look forward to my sixth season on this setup. I have done a handful of 50 mi. races and usually do a Moab and Fruita trip every year. I still look forward to riding this bike, but it is starting to get a bit tired as I have all of the original components except for the seat (torn apart from a crash), and the rear derailleur (internal failure). Rear brake leaks and has to be topped up occasionally. I have serviced it regularly and would love to get another season or two out of it, but I have gotten my money's worth for sure.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to pick just one.

Duration Product Used:   5 seasons, going on 6.

Similar Products Used:   Tried various full suspension and hard-tail 29er's before buying.

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, egg beater pedals.

Submitted by the corn dog a Cross Country Rider from snowmass village

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2009

Strengths:    I really love the way the bike goes up and down hills. With the propedal on the bike doesn't bob at all. Going down hill the bike is very confidence inspiring. It has a great smooth ride. You can climb up steep hills without the bike wandering very much. It has great clearance when going through rock gardens too.

Weaknesses:    With the bike having a high bottom bracket it seems a bit tipy. You can pedal through anything but at slow speeds through technical stuff it seems a bit wobbly.

Bottom Line:
I have really enjoyed this bike but the fox fork, when you got to lock or unlock it, it changes the settings on it. That can be really annoying. The Avid juicy sevens howl really bad and make the frame vibrate, that is also very annoying. The fox rp23 has been really great. The avid juicy sevens have been a huge dissapointment. I have tried everything I can to get them to stop howling. EVERYTHING!!
The sram x9 has been pretty good, xo is much better, I've had both.
So, if your looking for a all day do it all bike, this bike will not let you down..... just get the right components!!

Favorite Trail:   maybe lunch loops?

Purchased At:   ute city cycles in c

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Epic, Stumpjumper Pro, Yeti ASR.

Bike Setup:   Fox Float rlc, Fox rp23, Mavic crossmax slr, Sram x9, Avid juicy 7. Thompson seat and stem, monkey light bars.

Submitted by Evan a Racer from Ontario, OR

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2008

Strengths:    Pretty much everything. Goes up, goes down, no problems. Size small frame ('07 model) has TONS of clearance! I race XC and Super D, and this bike does both very well. Switch the RP3 Propedal from on to off and the bike goes from lycra racer boy to downhill demon. I haven't weighed it, but it doesn't disappoint.

Weaknesses:    None so far. None.

Bottom Line:
Why waste time writing about it when I could be riding it? New 2008 model may not have as much clearance, a big deal for me at under 5' 6". 2007 model has plenty, even with fork at 140mm.

Similar Products Used:   Bought the bike after my 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper Pro (POS) had multiple problems and Specialized wouldn't warranty it. Pray you never have a warranty on a Specialized bike. By the way, this bike kicks a$$ over the Stumpy anyway, and it uses a nice, dependable, replaceable FOx shock.

Bike Setup:   2008 Talas RLC, SRAM XO, Mavic Crossmax SSX and Industry Nine wheels, Formula Oro Puro brakes (Sweet!), '08 XTR crank

Submitted by Jordan a Cross Country Rider from Bend, Or, USA

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2007

Strengths:    Exceptional power to weight ratio, rails the corners, climbs like a rock lizard and nails the downhills like a cheetah after her dinner.

Weaknesses:    Should offer other shock options such as Marzocchi Rocco Air and DT Swiss shocks.

Bottom Line:
When the fork and shock are set up patiently and accurately this bike is like no other bike I have ridden. Sprinting and cornering on this bike is similar to being in a Dodge Viper and you really have to be quick with your reflexes or you will be in the dirt or on the rocks. I hammer on the descents so I really need a bike with exceptional handling through the rough stuff and off 4' ledges. I am around 190lbs and 6ft 1", I workout 6 days a week so when riding this bike my body is in tune with it. Now if only I could find a woman such as this? Climbing is fun on this bike too due to its sprighty rear end and again with the DHX Air setup correctly it flys over the technical stuff. If you are climbing up a technical singletrack just slow down the rebound and it rolls over everything then soon as you start descending through the rough stuff speed it up a little. Seth with Yeti is fantastic as are the other guys and their support is unmatched. You guys rock not only do you make fantastic frames but you offer outstanding customer service and knowledge. If I win the lotto(BIG) I will be visiting you personally.

Favorite Trail:   McKenzie River Trail

Purchased At:   Through a friend who races.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro SL Pro, Intense 5.5, Orange 5.5, Trek 9.5 and Foes FXR.

Bike Setup:   Chris King Headset, Marzocchi 55SL ATA(08), DHX Air 5.0 shock, Thomson 4X 90mm silver stem, Easton Monkey Carbon high rise bar, Formula Oro Puro 7" brakes, Sram X0 gearing, Odi lock on grips, Shimano Saint Double crankset, Medium cage rear derailleur(X0), Mallet Acid pedals, DT Swiss 5.1 rims with the 240 hubset(20mm front hub), Schwalbe 2.4 Nobby Nic tires, Bontrager Light tubes, Thomson seat post, WTB Pure V Team saddle, Salsa seat clamp(silver).The frame is a special offer 2008 Turquoise with the DHX Air and it was offered from a friend in the racing industry but I paid handsomely for it.

Submitted by Erik Bedell a Weekend Warrior from Aurora CO

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2007

Strengths:    This bike is a blast. It climbs great, it descends even better. It's super light for a 5.75 bike. I feel I can climb technical sections better and can descend faster.

Weaknesses:    Slight bob. I contribute this more to the shock which is a RP3. I demo'd a 2007 with a rp23 and it definetely had less BOB in the hardest propedal option.

Bottom Line:
Best bike money can buy. Really. If you can buy one now. Plus you get the added customer service of Yeti.

Favorite Trail:   Centennial Cone, Deer Creek Canyon

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel, Gary Fisher Sugar

Bike Setup:   2006 Yeti 575 with a 2006 TALAS fork and RP3 shock, XTR cranks and calipers. XT master cylinders. SRAM X9 derailleur and grip shifts. Chris King Headset. 819 rims with XT hubs. Thompson seatpost and stem. Race Race next carbon bar. Panaracer tubeless XC fire Pro 2.1. WTB Devo seat Bike weighs 27.5 lbs

Submitted by Captn Chain Smack a Cross Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2007

Strengths:    This is a very interesting bike. It shines on steeep technical uphill and down hill of any kind. This is my second Yeti so I know what I'm comparing. So much bike for the money. Light bike for full freeride setup.

Weaknesses:    My bike is 31.1 lbs w/ the complete freeride set up and is sluggish on the long uphills.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that you point and shoot. Carry more speed downhill to clear objects that you normally have to ride around and now you have the suspension to take it. I thought that riding a bike that was 5-6 lbs more than my last bike I wouldn't be able to climb tech. WRONG! Just find your groove and the suspension hooks up. I climb tech better now. No joke. My bike is heavier so it is sluggish on the long climbs but if you had a xc kit, watch out. This is worth 5 chilis.

Favorite Trail:   Dakota Ridge

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   Yeti Koko, Blur LT

Bike Setup:   Enduro Pro with a fox 36 and DHX air! Point and shoot.

Submitted by Sean a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2007

Strengths:    Yeti 'soul', rideability, suspension efficiency. Feeling of 'acceleration'.

Weaknesses:    None found yet.

Bottom Line:
This is the last bike I will ever buy. I'm (just) over 40 and I could see me replacing forks, shock etc over the next few years but the frame will stay (barring accident, theft etc!). I loved my old GT LTS, I had the original 1995 model and it felt like part of me. I stupidly sold it. I have been searching ever since for my 2 wheeled soulmate! I have found it in the Yeti 575. Yeti have to thank Fox Shocks for making this bike 100% perfect. The RP23 is amazing. I have it set for full on or full off. In full on I get no bob on flats or uphill. In full off I get the feeling that I'm cocooned in a world of plushness. If you're my age and want a bike to hammer without feeling hammered - buy one now! Someone asked me if my bike were a car, what would it be - Porsche Cayenne perhaps? NO - a Bowler Wildcat!!

Favorite Trail:   Cannock

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Bromley

Similar Products Used:   GT LTS 1995, Specialized FSR XC 2000.

Bike Setup:   Frame is 2007 with alu rear triangle and team turquoise painted main frame. RP23 shock. Forks Magura Laurin 130mm (in matching turquoise!), Yeti Arc stem, Yeti Arc carbon riser bars, King headset with Yeti top cap, Syncros inline seatpost, Yeti embroidered San Marco Integra saddle. KCNC bolted seatclamp, Specialized Strongarm2 cranks with 40t Middleburn DH ring, 32t, 22t. Avid Juicy 3s 203mm front 160mm rear, SRAM X-7 shifters, rear derailleur, XT front derailleur. Ultegra 12t-27t rear cassette, Hope Pro2 hubs/Mavic 317 rims - Homemade tubeless conversion with original Yeti Fro IRC Claw Comps. Set up for lightness where I can, strength where it's needed. Sub 27lb.

Submitted by Shannon a Downhiller from Stumptown, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2007

Strengths:    Yeti reputation. The new shocks made a big improvement, no bobing and still very plush.

Bottom Line:
3 years of hard abuse, countless drops still going strong. I broke the dogbone, Yeti sent a beefier one. I broke the chainstays, Yeti replaced. The original 5th Element wore out, Yeti sold me a correctly valved RP3 and tool to replace. Yeti has exellent maintenace instructions on the
website. Yeti rocks!

Favorite Trail:   McDuff Peak

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Racer-X, Nomad

Bike Setup:   07 Talas RCL, 07 RP3

Submitted by Graham Mitchell a Weekend Warrior from Perth, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, long suspension, geometry, build quality and design.

Weaknesses:    None as yet.

Bottom Line:
Chris Jones at Riders Choice Cycles (Perth's premiere bike shop) helped select components for and built up my stunning 575 (Large/20.5 inch frame). An intelligent blend of light yet strong parts, for allround trail riding, has produced a 27.5 pound 'Uber-cycle'. Finished in 'Raw' with black components and enough bling to satisfy Cedric Gracia, the Yeti is a 'dream' bike.
And it rides every bit as good as it looks. Propedal and Talas are simply fantastic - I cannot sense any difference in the forks action from my beloved Vanilla. Stand-over is unrivalled for a trail bike with so much travel and the frame design is beautiful and functional. She corners like a Japanese Bullit Train and stops like the Road Runner. Single Track and fast choppy fire roads are her natural habitat and I only wish I had the skill and confidence to wring the most from this poised machine. That said this bike will forgive my bad riding and have me hollering and yelling down Mount Gungin.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Riders Choice, Leederville

Similar Products Used:   Marin Mount Vision (8 years), Scott Genius (tested).

Bike Setup:   Large frame, 32 Talas RLC, RP23, Juicy Ultimates, XO, DT/Mavic wheels with Nevegal 2.35F and Conti 2.3R, Easton carbon bar, King Headset.

Submitted by Lightdr a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2007

Strengths:    Geometry, components, handling, ride

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
First and foremost, for 2007 the 575 now has 6" of travel. And their build kits are slightly different than the MTBR classifications. Mine is the Enduro Pro, and weighs in at around 28lbs with speedometer, 2.35" tires and Enduro grips.

Depending on your riding style, you'd be hard pressed to beat this bike for the money. I was concerned about the weight and climbing, but it climbs like a monster. I can actually clean technical stuff that I couldn't clean on my much-lighter NRS-1. On technical downhill stuff the bike is very sure-footed, challenging me to find ever harder stuff to try. That said, I must admit that it took me 4 or 5 rides to get used to the weight and the rolling resistance of the Maxxis Minion DH 2.35 tires. (I'd been riding 2.1 tires for years) But now with 300 miles on it in 2 months, I don't notice the weight anymore.

A word on Pro-Pedal; it actually works, but you have to dial your suspension in correctly. I first thought it was pretty lame, but then I did about 6 rides and got my suspension really dialed in. Once that was setup, the Pro-Pedal worked like a champ. I use it on every hill climb, and find it greatly increases my efficiency. Unlike a lockout, the suspension stays active on the big stuff, but eliminates bob on climbs and flat stuff. I did some 3' drops with Pro-Pedal turned on (by accident) and the suspension was still active and performed well. Although I don't intend to do it again, I was pretty impressed.

I love this bike and ride it at least 4 days a week. It's the perfect mount for southern California hill climbs and rock gardens, and it's great in our infamous "babyhead".

Buy this bike if: you're not a weight weenie, you want to ride more technical downhill and drops, you want to climb and clean the technical uphill stuff or want to experience 6" of travel.

Don't buy this bike if: weight is your riding criteria, you aspire to be a downhill rider, you want to be a cross country racer or don't need 6" of suspension.

Purchased At:   College Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Turner 5-Spot, Yeti ASR, Giant NRS-1

Bike Setup:   SRAM XO, Race Face Deuce, Fox RLC 140mm fork, Fox RP23 shock, DT Swiss wheels

Submitted by Mcnuff a Weekend Warrior from Beijing

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2006

Strengths:    Unique (not many Yeti's driving around here in mainland China - the first 575 that I know about..), sexy look, plush, climbs the trails like a goat, gives a bunch of riding confidence (switchbacks, rocks, slippery roots are all no problem anylonger). The descents are a pure pleasure with this bike.

Weaknesses:    None so far ( will submit a follow-up review in 3 months)

Bottom Line:
Coming from a hardtail and just having undergone a hernia surgery this bike is a blessing in many ways. It just feels like riding on a persian carpet - PLUSH!
Certainly no XC country racer and you will not win a short XC race with it (it also does not have the snappyness of a XC bike). But if you are looking for endurance racing, and want to have some fun on the trails and avoid stepping off the bike at the more challenging sections of the track, then this is your bike.
Have put the RP3 at the maximum recommended sag. Still no problem with bob - I also hardly do not leave my saddle. On the lightest setting, you can sit back and bomb down.
Still playing around with the TALAS RLC and coming close to the setting I want. Great fork, however I am afraid of the servicing here in China. Might go for a Vanilla next year and spare the hassle in case something malfunctions.

Favorite Trail:   Houffalize

Purchased At:   Flying Ball Hong Kong

Similar Products Used:   First FS. Previously a Trek 6500.

Bike Setup:   Here in Asia the frame is only available for purchase. Bought a medium (am 1.73m). Talas RLC, Easton EC70 seatpost, ITM Carbon Stem, Answer Carbon handlebar, WTB Pure V Team saddle (very comfy for my small butt), Michelin Tubeless Comp S Light 2.0, rest all XT (including Dual Control - do not buy this!).

Submitted by Kevin Witherstine a Weekend Warrior from Prosper, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2006

Strengths:    rides lighter than it is, climbs better than my old hardtail, 6" of full suspension soaks up most of the chatter. Easy to work on. Warranty support, full 5 years!

Weaknesses:    had to replace the frame after about 6 months. there was a cracked weld on the bottom bracket. Yeti didn't blink twice on the warranty, the Yeti reps were in town for a race and called in for a replacement immediatly.
I'm not a big fan of how the rear D. cables have to be run. Also didn't like the XTR drive train components that came with the bike. The rear D would ALWAYS need adjusting. Between the Shimano components being touchy, my hard riding style and the cable routing the combination just wasn't working. Switched to Sram, everything rocks now.

Watch the bolts on the linkage, they do loosen up.

Bottom Line:
this rig is awesome! The first time I test rode it I just fell in love with it. Then took it out to my local singletrack and trimmed 10 minutes off of my lap time first time out.

Favorite Trail:   Johnson's Branch

Purchased At:   slightly used from local rider

Similar Products Used:   liked this so much, I went out and bought a Yeti AS-r carbon.

Bike Setup:   Sram XO grip, XO rear d, XT front d. Crossmax XL wheels, Maxxis Crossmark UST, thompson stem and seatpost. XTR cranks. Gobi saddle. Hayes brakes. Eggbeater pedals.

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Park City

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2006

Strengths:    Great geometry for trail riding. Build quality. Long travel without feeling sluggish.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Kudos to the folks at wrenchscience for the great custom build. Wheels from oddsandendos, Mike Garcia.

I'm coming off a 24.5 pound modified Sugar 2. 53 yrs old, 5'9" and 155 lbs.

The wheelset is stupidly light....under 1500 grams...but after riding a bunch of downhills with ramped jumps, they appear to be plenty strong for my weight. I'm used to the SRAM twists, now, and love them. I'd describe them as digital, obvious and solid on the shifting. Different than the Shimano, which I would describe as more analog, smoother. The pedaling is very smooth, the ride is really plush. With almost 6" of rear and 130mm of front travel, that's no surprise. The RP-3 shock is very adjustable and the propedal seems to make a huge, but subtle difference. I know that sounds as though it's a contradiction, but it's the best description I can make. On minimum propedal, I have about 1/2 inch of sag, and there is noticeable bobbing on hard climbs. On maximum propedal, the sag is 1/4 inch and there is no noticeable bob. I'm still experimenting with sag, pressure, rebound, etc. My preference seems to be for maximum dampening on the rear rebound at this point, because I'm most interested in the performance while climbing on steep, rocky climbs where slower speed bump compliance is my main concern. It allows me to remain seated much more while climbing. Also, at the recommendation of wrenchscience, went with a shorter cockpit. The interesting thing being that, in spite of the shorter cockpit, I don't have to get as far forward for climbs or as far back for descents. I already have about 100 miles of trail riding and some major crashes on it, so far no problems. The Fox float RLC has so many adjustments that dialing it in will take time. But at this point, I'm using about 3/4 inch of sag with minimum compression damping and max rebound damping, for climbing, again. It has a poor man's inertial position. A Lockout with an adjustable blowoff feature, but I haven't used it. Even with low pressure, it doesn't seem to have noticeable brake jack. I'm doing steep, technical downhills that I used to lower my seat for, without lowering it now, and they seem much easier. High speed downhills, are much more comfortable. Steep smooth climbs are no easier on this bike, but steep rocky climbs are. I'm running 34-35 psi front and back on the tires with good results.

Favorite Trail:   Sweeny/Johns

Purchased At:   Wrenchscience.com

Similar Products Used:   The closest I've tried would be a Santa Cruz Blur. I'd guess the Ibis Mojo would be similar.

Bike Setup:   Built up for climbing. Light. 575 Carbon frame, Monkeylite bars, SRAM XO twist with XO rear D and XT front D. Raceface headset. WCS stem. Avid BB brakes with Paul's levers for twist grips. Thompson masterpiece seatpost. Stans ZTR rims/WTB hubs. Fire XC pro tires. Fox Float 130 RLC fork. Eggbeater single Ti pedals. Advertised weight 24.7 pounds. Came in at 25.2 pounds.

Submitted by curtis mckee a Weekend Warrior from cincinnati,ohio,united states

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2006

Strengths:    proven Yeti technology

Weaknesses:    zip

Bottom Line:
26.4 ponds of true excitement. I will not need anything for a while. I cannot believe how this bikes handles rides and just looks. It is the pimp daddy on the trail. kicks my buddys ellsworth. I bought a enduro and put the upgrades on myself. I love this bike. I sat in my garage the other night drinking a beer and polishing it. I do 24 hour and 100 mile racing. got a 100 in 2 weeks. i am craving this ride. I am only giving 3 chilis on value cause this bike is about 4000 built the way i have it. what the hell you will never need anything else.

Favorite Trail:   idlewild