Yeti Cycles AS-R 575 Disc All Mountain Full Suspension

4.67/5 (63 Reviews)

The ultimate cross-country machine starts with a solid, well thought out chassislike the yeti AS-R C Frame. With XC legs, progressive travel from a stiff chassis, and a slacker-than-the-norm head angle the AS-R C covers ground quickly, efficiently, and confidently. Start your build with a frame that's packed with industry leading technology and you'll be miles ahead of the pack.

Submitted by Jimmy the Hoff a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2010

Strengths:    Fast... up and down. Comfortable to ride - excellent climber, easy to control on the DH.

Weaknesses:    I sat here for 10 minutes trying to come up with something... I got nothing. This is the best trail bike every built.

Bottom Line:
Porsche designed and built the 911 many years ago, and ever since other car manufacturers have tried to design and build a car that could compete or surpass the quality, capability, raw appeal that the 911 has - but, they could never compare to the Porsche 911.

The Yeti 575 has become the epic trail bike that all other bike makers's wish they had designed.

I have ridden my Yeti on three continents (NA, EU, Asia) over the last six years. When I'm on it - my Yeti becomes an extension of my body on the trail. I ride single-track, epic DH's (Moab etc.), commute to work, I don't want or need another bike. Most of my friends ride Yeti's

I've only had to replace components that I have worn out over time and replaced the frame bearing set once - after 3 years.

When (if, really) I break this bike - I will buy another Yeti 575.

Favorite Trail:   7 bridges-666-section16

Purchased At:   ProCycling in CS

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Large Frame (I weight 215); originally the Enduro package - recently upgraded to SRAM X.0, and Mavic CrossMax ST wheelset.

Submitted by chino a Weekend Warrior from Draper

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2009

Strengths:    Great do it all machine. Climbs well and descends even better. This frame can build up into a light and sturdy do it all machine.

Weaknesses:    Not so keen on DT Swiss E-540 wheels. Rear would not convert to tubeless and the rims are pretty soft and ding easy.

Bottom Line:
I would definitely recommend this to a friend. This has been a great bike and I have ridden it all over Utah. It will handle light free ride - lift access type trails with stunts. It is still fun to ride up singletrack and fire roads. I also take this on technical slick rock like Gooseberry Mesa in Southern Utah. I usually put about 700 mile on per summer and it has stood up to the abuse well.

Favorite Trail:   United States

Purchased At:   Desert Cyclery, St.

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakar

Bike Setup:   I like the parts on this machine. Manitou Minute Elite fork 140 mm had performed flawlessly. Fox DH Air has been great. Suspension has been awesome and reliable. Avid Juicy 7 brakes have good stopping power and are easy to bleed. The DT swiss hubs are nice and the rear has pretty quick engagement. My bike came with a Titec carbon fiber handlebar which was a nice touch. The WTB/Yeti saddle was comfortable and has held up to some severe abuse well. This bike came with a Sram X.0 rear derailuer that is PERFECTION. And somehow it has not come off, broken or needed too many adjustments after 3 years of abuse.

Submitted by Bond007Jms a Weekend Warrior from SLC, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2008

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2005 Yeti 575.

I demoed this bike on my favorite trails in southern Utah. While the bike was alright at climbing and descending, the geometry wasn't right for me. It felt twitchy even at mild speeds. This did little to inspire confidence. It could be that I was on too small of a frame (it is my understanding that these bikes run small) for my body. I was on a Large and I am 6'.

Regardless of the sizing issue, the fact that this bike has as much travel as it does, makes it a standout in the trail bike category.

The main issue may come down to the type of suspension you like to ride. In this case, the faux bar is not distracting, but it may not be the best for your riding style.

My opinion, demo, demo, demo before you buy!

Favorite Trail:   Green Valley

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Prophet MX and 1000, Santa Cruz Blur LT, Intense 5.5 and 6.6, Turner Spot, Specialized Enduro

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Middleboro, MA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2007

Strengths:    Light, strong, good travel, cool looking, good price, all around all mountain bike

Weaknesses:    Enduro package good for the price but you will change it all out and that will be costly. Initial wheels toooo heavy.

Bottom Line:
Researched this product for 1 year and did not test ride it, just bought it. Incredible bike, have tried many others and would not go back and buy anything else. This bike is very capable of almost anything...to the point, it has changed my riding style. Use to ride xc, now I like moderate stunts, drops and anything aggressive. Will take time getting use to if you are a xc racer, it initially feels less efficient..that is because you are use to a hardtale, truth is you are more efficient w/full susp. For a more agressive bike, get the Fox 36 on front and 5.0 on rear. Enuro is light but you can break almost everything on it except for the frame.
As for the one of the last reviews with harsh ride, that person does not know how to set it up, I feel it is the opposite. Don't go by specs, set up for 20% sag..VERY important. Use RP3 properly as well. I read these reviews on MTB all the time to get a better perspective and they help alot, I hope this will convince you to make a wise choice. Soughegan cycles is awesome, Yeti is personal as well as the people at FOX, you can't go wrong.

Favorite Trail:   Borderland, Vietnam

Purchased At:   Souhegan Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Spec Stumpy, GT-1, Titus Moto-lite, Ellsworth Eph.

Bike Setup:   Stock set up with enduro package but have swapped almost everything on it.

Submitted by Bob from Indianna

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2007

Strengths:    relatively light, fast, about it.

Weaknesses:    harsh ride, you can feel and hear every bump through the frame, I had big issues with clipping my pedals on every trail that I had no issues with on my blur lt. Not active enough for my liking, tried every psi, rebound and propedal setting and was either set up with way too much sag, or a harsh ride.

Bottom Line:
Just not a good fit for me. Read the reviews on here and thought it would be a LOT better at descending than it is. It deffinately feels more like a 5 inch xc bike than an all mountain rig. Hitting my pedals on everything was bad enough to the point that it was dangerous. (175 cranks with time atac xs and 130mm revelation, maybe I needed a longer fork?) My riding buddy said that he thought I was faster on this than on my blur, but it just wasn't as fun as my blur. Buy this if you are an xc guy who doesn't like to leave the ground and wants a light fast 5 inch bike.

Similar Products Used:   blur lt, trek fuel ex, cannondale prophet, diamondback mission.

Bike Setup:   x9, easton havocs, rock shox revelation, juicy 7s, 27 lbs

Submitted by Chad Salsbury a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2007

Strengths:    Very durable, light, beautiful look, welds & machined parts, overall performance!!!

Weaknesses:    As far as I'm concerned none!

Bottom Line:
I researched full suspension XC/all mountain bikes for about six months. I read hundreds of reviews, demoed, and spent way to much time online. All I can say is after I demoed this bike I was so stoked! The 575 is just sweet! It climbs like a goat and descends like a bobsled! It has easily chewed up anything I've thrown at it. I am very pleased with this bike. I highly recommend picking one up!

Favorite Trail:   "National" South Mountain

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper FSR

Bike Setup:   06 Large, Maverick DUC32 double crown fork, Fox RP3 shock, XT-XTR components, Chris King hub/headset, Mavic 819 disk wheels, WTB Weirwolf tires.

Submitted by Randy a Cross Country Rider from Grapevine, Tx

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2007

Strengths:    575 is awesome, inspiring me to go faster and further than I've ever gone. Quality across the board. Love the juicy brakes.

Weaknesses:    Gets more looks than my girlfriend ...

Bottom Line:
Love the Yeti and gets me out on the trail more because it is such a thrill to ride. Climbs great and rails on the downhills. I'm a big guy, 6'3" and a member of the two-fiddy club and this bike has handled all the abuse I can throw at it.

Purchased At:   MadDuck

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Prophet, Specialized Enduro, Santa Cruz Heckler

Bike Setup:   Stock "disc" setup. Satin, unfinished tubing.

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO USA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2007

Strengths:    Smooth going up and down; great build kit value (no real need to upgrade anything off stock Enduro build); a very "quick" feeling ride in the technical spots; it goes where I point it; Buy Local- support your local bike company (yeti) and bike shop (Road 34). BTW, I am 6'4" and the XL is a nice fit and fun. I was concerned it might ride too "big" but have been pleased with how comfy it is.

Weaknesses:    We will see about the juicy 3s... maybe I am just going too fast ;-0

Bottom Line:
Love it. My son lives and races in Crested Butte and he recommended this bike because of its popularity with fellow riders. I owe him a beer!

Favorite Trail:   Blue Sky/Coyote/Devil's Back

Purchased At:   ROAD 34

Similar Products Used:   I tested Santa Cruz Blur, Ventana El Ciclon, Specialized FSR Stumpjumper. All seemed to be good bikes, but hard to tell with short rides.
My last bike was a Rocky Element, which was a great bike. No local dealer for Rocky, though.

Bike Setup:   Stock Enduro package

Submitted by Andy Dallibar a Weekend Warrior from Gloucestor

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2007

Strengths:    Build quality is nice. It inspires just by looking at it (I have proposed to it, but it turned me down)

Weaknesses:    There wasn't a buy one get one free option

Bottom Line:
I sit and stare at it in my living room and my mates are jealous and so they fliipin well should be it's amazing. It climbs well and with a flick of a lever on the rear RP23 shock it descends well. The carbon swingarm makes it look very Bling. I only bought the frame and bolted my own stuff to it.

Favorite Trail:   all of Wales

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   MountainTrax

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed Niota (less said about that the better) Santa Cruz Heckler (lovely)

Bike Setup:   Vanilla RLC, Shimano XT transmission and Race Face cranks, Hope hubs Mavic rims.

Submitted by Peter Atkin a Cross Country Rider from Farnborough, Hants, UK

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, supple suspension, detailing, all round ability, reasonable price, full length cable outer to rear mech (Virtually essential in the UK!) Looks and Heritage.

Weaknesses:    Not much mud room round the chain stays. Carbon swing arm amplifies freewheel noise, but that's really only because Hope Pro 2 hubs are fairly noisy anyway.

Bottom Line:
I found it took me about 5 rides to get the suspension set up the way I like it and I've never had a bike so sensitive to small changes in set-up (This is a positive thing for me!) I can really feel just a 5psi change in shock pressure, for instance.
Once dialled in I have to say it's a truly remarkable bike to ride. It feels as though there is less travel than my FSR, when in fact there is nearly 50% more. It's just better controlled ans soooooo supple. Great for all-day trail riding.
There is a slight amount of pedalling bob when seated, but this is cancelled out when I flick the Pro-Pedal lever, which also massively aids climbing! For such a long travel bike it climbs superbly.
But what about downhill?
Oh WOW.....!
Boy, does this bike fly....Pretty much anything I have the balls to ride doesn't faze this machine. I find myself laughing out loud it's so good and at the speed I can ride some pretty rocky terrain. And it's light enough to ride all day too. Considering the price, the brand and the performance I'd say you'd have to search very hard indeed to better a Yeti 575.
It took me 6 months to save the cash and collect the parts to buy this bike, and it was a huge amount of money for me to spend. I bought it without a test ride, based on research and reviews.
I took a chance buying this bike, so am I happy?
Hell yes!
Granated it's not a freeride bike, but I'm not a freerider. If you like to ride the trails all day and pedal to the top before screaming back down again, you'll love a 575.
I wouldn't say it's a bike for beginners, either. if you don't know how to handle a bike well a 575 could get you into more trouble and speed that you can handle very easily.

Favorite Trail:   Glentress Red

Purchased At:   Mountain Trax, Crowthorne, Berkshire

Similar Products Used:   Kona Dawg, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR.

Bike Setup:   Medium frame in Yeti turquoise. Carbon swing arm, RP23 shock, Rockshox Pike 454 Air U-Turn forks, Chris King headset, Wheels - Hope Pro 2 hubs built with DT 5.1 rims, WTB Moto Rapto 2.24 tyres, Magura Louise brakes, Shimano XT HT2 cranks, SRAM X9 drivetrain, Crank Bros Candy pedals, Easton bars, Yeti grips, FSA 280FR Seatpost, On-One 456 stem, SDG Bel Air saddle.
Exactly 29lbs fully built on some accurare scales!

Submitted by Pauley a Weekend Warrior from Reno, NV

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2007

Strengths:    Cherry red paint, lightweight, great price for what you get, awesome craftsmanship; "rows of nickels" welds. (even though its Yeti's dirty little secret they are welded in *Gasp* Taiwan)

Weaknesses:    Nothing at this point, but I have only about 10 hours in the saddle.

Bottom Line:
It took me a few hours to get used to the sensation of so much travel and the more upright position since I was coming from a 3" travel xc bike, but his thing really started to flow with me after a short while. Flip the propedal on, set the talsas at 100 and it climbs as good or better than any xc bike. Its so supple on the way up that it actually left me less fatigued than my old rig.

But, holy crap. The real fun begins once you're at the top, set the talas at 140, flip the propedal off and point it where you want to go. This thing screams though sections that would have had me bouncing around, cursing, and braking on my old bike! The handling is extremely neutral with both tires breaking loose at the same time. I havent broken in the brakes yet so I ended up plowing off trail into some baby heads, no problem, the high bottom bracket let me pedal out of the sketchy situation without bashing my pedals or losing my balance.

Basically its the perfect bike for me; climbs like mountain goat, but it can bomb downhill insanely fast also.

I could go on and on. But, coming from a guy who bought this bike sight-unseen and based my opinion purely on other reviews. GET THIS BIKE!, on second thought, don't, I like passing.

Favorite Trail:   Hall Ranch, Lyons, CO

Purchased At:   Full Cycles (highly recommended)

Similar Products Used:   '03 Devinci dragonfly (xc full sus)

Bike Setup:   2007 Enduro Carbon build; sram x-9 shimano xt drivetrain, mavic crossrides, fox RP23 shock, race face carbon next bar.

Upgrades from the standard kit; '08 fox talas rlc 140, avid juicy ultimates, race face deus xc cranks, maxxis ignitor 2.3s, selle italia xo ti saddle, time atac pedals. About 27 lbs built.(This shaved about 2 lbs off the stock enduro build)

Submitted by richard samford a Weekend Warrior from redmond, wa USA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2007

Strengths:    component specs are better than comparable priced bike.

Weaknesses:    have ridden once in wet conditions and noted light rusting on some hardware. Small note Stock tires have issues with traction on wet north west conditions. I.E. Roots and slick rocks.

Bottom Line:
Wow!! Been on several rides now and this bike really delivers! I find it hard to not be head of the pack on most rides as it climbs well and dessents like a dream.

as mentioned in another post I read. I also did not get any manuals. I have owned a few FSR bikes now and are familiar to basic shock maintenance but I would have loved more documentation on features.

Sterring is faster than any other bike I have owned.. Can't tell if geometry is the reason or maybe the carbon handle bar I am using shortens the handlebar width may make turning more efficient.

Yeti 575 is a solid bike... at first glance at the linkage going to the rear shock [ I believe they call it "Dog Bone" ] had me a little skeptical of sideways play but after thorough testing seems rock solid.

I am going to buy some new tires as soon as my wallet recovers because they seem more geared twords dry non-rooted conditions. But other than that... a solid performer.

Favorite Trail:   tolt mcdonald

Purchased At:   adrenaline bikes

Similar Products Used:   owned a specialized enduro, demod reign, demoed various Iron models.

Bike Setup:   all stock except for carbon race face handlebar.

Submitted by Bill Santiago a Cross Country Rider from Reading, PA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2007

Strengths:    The bike can be easily tuned for your style of riding, it looks almost to pretty to get dirty but it can easily handle rough trails. This is just a great all around bike.

Weaknesses:    Mavic Xride wheelset, and the maxxis tires, the wheels are ok, I don't think they will last very long, after a few rides on a bumpy trail they are out of true. The tires are more suited for I don't know, they don't track very well at high speeds, and don't grip very well climbing steep hills with rocks and roots. Tires are definitely personal preference, I just don't like the Maxxis tires, I've always had a lot of luck the IRC Trailbears.

Bottom Line:
This is just a great bike, it's my first full suspension bike and it was a breeze to set-up. The ride is out of this world, this is how a real mountain bike should ride. It feels like it could handle just about anything. Definitely the do-it-all bike. Purchase from Full Cycles, these people are just great to deal with, answered all my questions and were more than happy to upgrade the bike the way I wanted. Even got a free shock pump with the Yeti logo on it out of the deal. Thank Gary at Full Cycles. I gave 4 chilis for value, come on Yeti you can put better wheels on your bike than low grade Mavics.

I Love This Bike!! You can see Yeti cares about the quality of their bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Marsh, PA

Purchased At:   Full Cycles, Corvallis OR

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale M900, Airborne Liberator Custom, Gary Fisher Tass, Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe (the Hi-Fi has some serious quality control issues),

Bike Setup:   Race Face Evolve, Avid Juice 7, Fox Talas 32 RLC, SRAM X9 shifters and rear derailer, XT Front derailer

Submitted by erik a Weekend Warrior from Denver Co

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2007

Strengths:    Bought the frame only. Climbs like a CC bike, feels stable at speeds and superb control.Love the light wieght for a frame with this much travel. Looks too damn good for a mountain bike.

Weaknesses:    Setting it up and the damn seat post sucks...But other than that, I'm very happy

Bottom Line:
Best bike I ever own..PERIOD. Do yourself a favor and sell your junk ass bike and get yourself a Yeti 575!!! Why pay more for a Blur L/T or a Moment for less bread. Both are great bike, but both are not worth that kind of bread when the Yeti is just as good.

Purchased At:   AdventureCycles

Similar Products Used:   Giant AC1 and Giant Tance<--both are great bikes. Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Specialized Bikes<---Overprice and they are everywhere. FSR my ass!!!!

Bike Setup:   Sram XO drivetain,07 Avid Juicy 7,RockShox Pike 454 Dual air<--Amazing fork for the money, and Easton Havoc wheels

Submitted by Trey a Cross Country Rider from Denver, Co. USA

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2007

Strengths:    Very good bike for steep technical trails. The bike just wants to roll over everything. Right from the beginning the bike handles like you've owned it for a decade. It's also a great value. Compare the 575 to the Blur, the Epiphany, or similar bikes and you'll see that Yeti's come up with a great bike for $400-800 less than the competition.

Weaknesses:    This can't be the best cable routing plan, can it?
There's not enough room for a waterbottle inside the front triangle. (Use a small water bottle with a side-release cage and you can jam one in there)

Before I got the suspension dialed in, I thought it was a slug on the climbs but that turned out to be operator error.

Everyother rider in the Front Range is on a 575, if you want to be original and live in the 303 area code this ain't the bike for you.

I worry that my bike handling skills are becoming lazy since this bike takes anything you throw at it.

Bottom Line:
This bike does everything well. Once you get the suspension dialed in, you won't believe how well it climbs. You can really fly down hills on this without scaring yourself. It just soaks up all the bumps you throw at it and holds a line like you wouldn't believe.

I'm really jacked about this bike. I would ride it all day every day if my family and employer wouldn't miss me.

I never do this for any product, but I'm giving it 5 flamin' chilis for both ratings.

Favorite Trail:   Monarch Crest

Purchased At:   Craigslist (frame only)