Whyte Designs Whyte 46 All Mountain Full Suspension

• Brake Levers: Hope Hydraulic Disc
  • Crankset: Shimano XT, 44/32/22
  • Rims: Mavic XM 717 Disc, 32 Hole
  • Spokes: DT Double Butted 14-15
  • Tyres: Continental Gravity Pro 26 X 2.3"
  • Seatpost: Whyte 2014 Alloy, 31.6mm X 350mm
  • Saddle: SDG Comp Bel-Air

Submitted by deanmor a Cross Country Rider from South Africa

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2009

Strengths:    comfort, handling, durability, looks, climbing ability, braking, tracking

Weaknesses:    Front shock seals - I've fitted Enduro seals, and haven't had a problem since. Paint has chipped easily.
Original Conti tyres. Non-UST rims.

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike some 3 years ago, and then hardly used it. I've just recently got back into cycling, and having replaced the front fork seals with Enduro seals, and have started riding the bike hard. At first I didn't like the bike as much as my NRS, but now that I've spent the time in setting the bike up properly, I absolutely love the bike! I'm a heavy rider (110kgs) and this bike can handle all I can throw at it (I'm an experienced single track rider, and I work the bike hard through the twisties). The braking is superb, the forks are stiff and the bike tracks extremely well through bumpy bends, and one of the best aspects is being able to continue pedalling seated even on very bumpy descents. Whether it be flat, hard pack, soft, climbs or descents this bike is very, very competent.

If you're loooking for a bike that is capable of all terrain, this is a great buy. This bike also excels at handling heavier riders.

I've fitted tubeless kits and now run Kenda Nevegal tyres, and the bike handles a treat.

Favorite Trail:   Cumberland

Purchased At:   Melvilel Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS1

Submitted by Tony Chau a Weekend Warrior from Loughton, UK

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2007

Strengths:    Plush, light and very good in climbing and descending step single trails

Weaknesses:    insulate you too much from the trail that sometimes push you over your limit

Bottom Line:
As I am getting older, I want something light that can get me up the climbs and something plush that saves my back. The Whyte 46 lets me do all that and I can now go down on much steeper stuff that I couldn't do before.

I had a lot of trouble in the beginning with front disc rubbing and binding but a quick email to Maverick (great support) sorted me out. (Should read the manual on how to put the front wheels back properly and always clip the disc side first!)

After riding it for more than a year and taking it to various man-made and natural trails in UK, I don't think I can find a better all mountain machine.

The spec. is spot on and I have not need to change anything. If you want a light 6in FS bike that can climb, this one is it!

Favorite Trail:   Cli-machx trail Machynlleth

Purchased At:   Heales Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Marin Mount Vision

Bike Setup:   DUC 32 fork, Full XT, Panaracer Trailblaster, Hope M4

Submitted by adrian james a Weekend Warrior from cheshire uk

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2006

Strengths:    This bike just feels glued to any trail up or down. There is very little bob riding up step hills

Weaknesses:    The paint chips very easly and for the amount of money the bike cost should have been powder-coated.
The continental tyres feel as if they want to slide of the rims when pushed hard on corners

Bottom Line:
This bike is great at high speeds down hill and will frighten the life out of you, but at the same time give you a great smile, knowing it can be pushed even harder if required
My bike has been riden hard and had nothing major gone wrong.
I hope i call still have few more years of fun riding on this bike.

Favorite Trail:   red bull

Similar Products Used:   dainese race cut,raceface roach fR leg armour,
Marin rocky ridge

Bike Setup:   Changed tyres to maxxis high roller, and down hill tubes as always having punctures

Submitted by Mike L'Alouette a Weekend Warrior from Manchester

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2006

Strengths:    As an all rounder, very hard to beat ! It's still light at 30lbs, has plenty of travel, stops and goes well almost everywhere.

Weaknesses:    Original seat was hard. Currently trying a SDG RL - better but still a bit hard after about 2 1/2 hours .....
The cross-bar can still be a little high if you come off quick - watch yer nuts !

Bottom Line:
Some people criticise the forks for flexing somewhat. They do a little. But you gotta be tonkin' it quite a bit to feel it. I have no complaints on the bike though.
I've been through stuff I would have bailed out of most spectacularily on my old bike, so I can't say enough praise about this one. The suspension needs to be played with to find the best results, and these will vary person to person .....
I borrowed a Marin TARA (Wolf Ridge ?) bike and an original '04 version of the Whyte 46 for a full day before I bought this, an '05 46. There was soooo much difference between the two. The Marin was good, but the 46 was the most cerntainly better !
I bought my bike in the UK and paid £2700 - currently about $5130 (@ $1.90 to the £)

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere I can go !

Purchased At:   noah's ark, UK

Similar Products Used:   Borrowed a Marin TARA bike and an '04 Whyte 46 before buying this, an '05 46.

Bike Setup:   Play with it as you wish. I pump up the suspension a bit for road work, soften it for off-road. Changed the discs for Hope floating versions - just vanity !

Submitted by Gaz Saunds a Cross Country Rider from Nottingham UK

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2006

Strengths:    A great all rounder that begs to be pushed to its limits and beyond. The front fork, the frame stiffness, ease of maintenance i.e. there aint hardly any, the wheels etc. The brakes, whoa they are good in 6 inch or 4 inch travel.

Weaknesses:    The seat, was a tad rubbish so i've upgraded to a Specialised body geometry. Trying to fit a bottle, or a speedometer or anything to this bike is a nightmare as it is so custom in its construction, even my roof rack had to be rebuilt to make the bike fit. Dont need the TARA system as the 6 inch does all you want it to! Had to change the stem bolts as they were cheap steel and not stainless so got some titanium, you cant them but i know they are there :)

Bottom Line:
This bike has seen me back out on the trails as I couldn't be bothered last year. I sulk when i cant get out at least once a week on this bike. You tend to stop looking at magazines when you have this bike as every bling bling item you have ever wanted is on this bike. Hitting trails and you wont tire of the bike, doing downhill and it will take it, uphills - as long as you put the front into 4 inch mode you can climb and climb, just stand up and keep tramming up hills.
People complain about the paint coming off, well yeah when its being hit by all sorts of grit and brick when riding your bound to get the odd chip, the only thing I'd say is on the back swing arm fit a lizard skin chain stay protector and cut it into 2 parts, 1 part is 2/3 rds and the other 1/3 rd chain stay will be fine then and you dont wince when the chain slaps the frame whilst your bombing down Cromford incline at 50 MPH - er yes thats 50mph - tram on kids!

Favorite Trail:   Tissington and cromford