Whyte Designs E120 All Mountain Full Suspension

Submitted by tim hughes a Racer from UK

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2009

Strengths:    This bike just wants you to ride it fast. It leads you into the turns and allows you to fly. It's like a goat going uphill and have already beaten all times on my local routes. The 'laidback' position when compared to my epic and trek hardtail is totally confidence building and allows you to push your boundaries once again. This bike was bought so that I can take full advantage of the British trail centres and it certainly looks like it will meet my wishes.

Weaknesses:    I bought the XT because it was 800 british smackaroonies cheaper then the retail price and they through in a 200 quid store voucher on top! The spec is cool but the wonger spent could have seen better brakes - XT are cool but there's better. Whyte have changes this on the 2009 spec so my comment might have some validity.

Bottom Line:
This bike will allow you to push your limits. If you've come to the end of your current bike's limitations and want something to get that scary feeling back then the Whyte E120 will do just that... there's a long way to go with this baby before I find it's limits!!!!

Favorite Trail:   All riding

Purchased At:   Faversham

Similar Products Used:   Marin mount vision - awesome bike but the E120 offered more than my current bikes for the money.

Bike Setup:   XT standard - I like to leave the bike as it is 'til the bits start to drop off. Tyres seem fine; they've been tested in wet and dry conditions and fine so far.

Submitted by Nigel Sims a Cross Country Rider from Bristol, UK

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2008

Strengths:    Stiffest, best pedalling, super plush 5" travel frame out there. Climbs like a rocket, yet gives total confidence on normally scary descents.

Weaknesses:    Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
Awesome. Built up sub 24lb without any silly light week kit. Simply the best bike I've ever ridden.

Favorite Trail:   Afan Argoed

Purchased At:   Terrys Cycles, Yate

Similar Products Used:   Whyte E5, Mount Vision, Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Tune hubs, DT rims (tubeless conversion kits), FSA K-force light, Easton bar + stem, speedball post, Gobi saddle, Hope mono mini pro, sram X0

Submitted by Andy Roberts a Racer from Hampshire, UK

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2008

Strengths:    Build quality, frame, suspension linkage & ride quality

Weaknesses:    It is early and everything is still bedding in. I am still getting used to riser bars as I am far more used to flats on racing rigs. Website does not have that much going for it. Good news is that the local bike shop makes up for the shortfalls.

They have sold out of the Trail model for 2008 and you will have to wait for the 2009 model to get new one. I think they underestimated the demand maybe?

Bottom Line:
Out and out the best bike I have ever ridden. Mind you this is serious money and you should be happy with your choice if you spend this sort of wonga on a toy. If you haven't looked at Whyte products before you may not know of the attention to detail, or the innovation that the company is renowned for. They product is designed in a very tough environment; prone to lots of mud, harsh weather and somewhat unfriendly trails at time. With this bike they have given you a piece of carbon sculpture, built to the highest quality that should survive whatever you throw at it. I will update this after some hard miles and a few races to see how it goes.

I give it 5 chillis for value because it was what I wanted at a price I would pay. I have the Trail version with SRAM X0, Thomson, Hope & FSA kit. I will have to see how they fair against XT and XTR kit I have on other bikes.

Bottom line of the bottom line: If you haven't tried one get demo. A viable alternative to the big brands

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere out on a bike

Purchased At:   Cycle World, Romsey

Similar Products Used:   Looked at Stumpjumper S-works 2008, Trek 9.8, Marin Mount Vision Pro, Orange 5 Pro, Pace 405& 506, Turner Nitrous. Kona hard tail race bike (pimped so much that the only original thing left on it are the transfers)

Bike Setup:   Entirely standard at the moment. Will go with tubeless rims & tyres later on, but will run with the standard setup to see how it goes. The guys spent a lot of time designing and speccing this rig so I should at least give Whyte a chance before I go with my prejudices.

whyte e120 $

Hi I'm in the market for a 2008 whyte e120 xt does anyone know what sort of money I should expect to payRead More »

e120 service manual

does anyone have the service manual for the 09 e120 fork im looking to do the lower leg service thanksRead More »

09 S-works SJ E120 set up

Hi All, Recently I replaced my 06 S-Works Epic with a 09 S-works SJ. I have been trying to get the SJ set up, but can't get the fork to sag at the recommended/suggested pressures. ( my weight 65 kg, front 60 psi 2 clicks reb. 2.5 turns from slow, rear 140 psi 2 clicks reb. 13 from slow) The ... Read More »

Trainer to be used with Whyte e120

I want to get a fluid trainer for use over winter and I would like to use the bike I ride most often, on it, which is a custom built bike on the whyte e120 frame with the big gripper latched rear drop outs. Is this a problem? What trainer do you recomend? Budget not overly important. C ... Read More »

Whyte E120 Team equivalent build

Hi, I was thinking about getting a Whyte E120 Team. Have demo-ed the XT which I liked a lot. However, it was a medium and I think I need a small and wanted to go for the E120Team option. [URL="http://www.whytebikes.com/2008/bike.php?ModNo=8E120Team"]http://www.whytebikes.com/2008/bike.php?Mo ... Read More »