Turner RFX All Mountain Full Suspension

4.75/5 (16 Reviews)

Purpose: Rough XC and all-mountain riding

Overview: The Turner RFX has been completely redesigned for 2007. The challenge was to maintain the RFX’s dominance among super-strong great-pedaling ubër XC/all-mountain machines while shaving its weight by 1.5 pounds. We accomplished this feat by engineering a completely new rocker arm and rear triangle that works in perfect harmony with Fox’s Air shock. The result is a Turner frame that delivers 6.4 inches of rear wheel travel. Despite its amazing combination of long travel and lightness, the 2007 Turner RFX is no disposable trail bike. Thanks to its custom-shaped tubing and super–strong machined head tube, the 2007 RFX is built to deliver unparalleled pedaling efficiency, trail dominance and handling for years and years.

Features/Benefits:
  • 7.2 pounds
  • 6.4” of rear wheel travel
  • Completely re-designed suspension with lowered ratio
  • Fox DHX Air 5.0
  • Revised geometry for perfect all mountain handling

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Tony a Weekend Warrior from Mesa, Az, USA

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2012

Strengths:    Great handling and plush suspension

Weaknesses:    After about 5 years of good hard riding the rocker arm broke. I contacted Turner and they said too bad. They do not stock the part. They recommended that I buy a new bike from them.

Bottom Line:
    I have really enjoyed a lot of hard riding on this bike. I feel like I have it optimized for fun. With the broken rocker arm and no way of getting it fixed the bike becomes disposable. I thought I spent a lot of money for a good bike and good service. I have to recommend against buying a Turner.

Favorite Trail:   National at South Mountain

Purchased At:   Kore Bikes

Bike Setup:   Fox 5.0 coil shock, Fox 36 Float fork, Dream Wheels,

Submitted by andykrow a Downhiller from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2011

Strengths:    Great build quality, not "too" heavy, AMAZING progressive suspension feel, greasable bushings

Weaknesses:    two VERY minor things thing I'm not ecstatic about. 1) the 27.2 seatpost. I would like to put a Kind adjustable post but this limits me to the gravity dropper. 2) there is some bob happening when climbing in the granny gear. Not too much of an issue for me - with the 66 and downhill wheels/tires climbing is just not going to be fun anyway.

Bottom Line:
    Finally got my do everything bike. Up till this I was riding a Ndiza, but the 66 slacked it out a little too much for my tastes, and no front derailleur was starting to get old. So I picked up this 2006 RFX frame for a song, and the first ride blew me away. This has the best suspension feel of anything I've ever ridden, it truly feels bottomless. I can't wait to blow up the DHX so I can put a better shock on, but there's no rush - the DHX is killing it on this frame. Seems like after 06 the rfx's get a little lighter, but this is just the strength frame I like to ride. It's not full on DH, just freeride burly. Probably weighs 40 pounds the way I have it setup but I don't really worry about that. Not the best for climbing but no freeride bike is, and I only climb to get to a downhill anyway.

With the 66 the geometry is perfect for drops, I'd say around 67 degrees on the head angle. (stock is 68 with a 535 a2c) The first ride had me hitting drops with a new-found confidence, and just looking for bigger and bigger stuff to hit.

It would be hard for me to pay full price for a new Turner, but they're built so well I don't see any problem picking up a used one. Something about American built frames... they just look so well made compared to Asian stuff.

I plan on picking up a couple bushing kits in case they stop making them, and I'm sure I'll be riding this bike for the next ten years.

Favorite Trail:   Dadd area

Similar Products Used:   Brodie thumper, SC heckler, Morewood ndiza

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi 66, DHX 5.0 coil, mavic 729 wheels, Formula k18 brakes, holzfeller cranks, other DH bits.

Submitted by serhij a Racer from Gdansk, Poland

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2010

Strengths:    tough, plush, superb quality and CS

Bottom Line:
    THE bike, can do absolutely anything from trail riding to DH. Superior fun bike !

Favorite Trail:   TPK http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=693285

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Nomad, Santa Cruz Heckler, Santa Cruz VP-Free, Santa Cruz Bullit (I)

Bike Setup:   RS Lyric U-turn, replaced with Z1 Light ETA and finally RS Revelation Team 2010, Chris King hubs and headset, ZTR Flow rims, XT/X.9 components, Formula The One brakes

Submitted by surfhb a Weekend Warrior from Utah, slc

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2009

Strengths:    Bushings, durability, stiffness, this bike rails corners, climbs great, descends even better. Really, pretty much everything

Weaknesses:    Stock bronze color is not my favorite, stickers fall off.

Bottom Line:
    I love this bike. I don't ride my 5 spot any more because this bike does everything the spot does and more. Slap lighter wheelset and rp23 on it and do 40 mile xc rides. Put on heavier wheels/tires and coil front and rear and rock it! This bike is stiff and loves to rail turns. This bike also climbs surprisingly well, especially through chunk. This bike will not disappoint.

Favorite Trail:   lots

Purchased At:   fleabay

Similar Products Used:   Specialized enduro, stumpjumper, 5 spot, titus el guapo, hardtails, nomad.

Bike Setup:   RS Lyrik, sram x9, chris king wheels and headset, race face stuff, many different tires, rp23/dhx coil, gravity dropper.

Submitted by cowens677 a Weekend Warrior from riverbank

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2009

Strengths:    build quality, the turner name and customer service, looks, climbing ability, and confidence inspiration.

Bottom Line:
    This bike is a work of art and I love it. I owned a santa cruz heckler before the turner and it was fine, a great all aroung bike. The thinks I did not like about the heckler is I tended to loose rear wheel traction on techy stuff and I had problem with the front wheel coming up on me on steep climbs. With the turner I have not had these problems. I am able to climb the same stuff and have much better traction. I also have been hitting bigger jumps with ease, I love this bike!! Plus I got the frame for 1/2 off so that is a bonus.

Favorite Trail:   dry creek

Purchased At:   competative cyclist

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz heckler

Bike Setup:   lyrik two step, pushed fox dhx 5.0, race face cranks, thomson seatpost and stem, juicy 7 brakes, WTB seat, avid x-9 components.

Submitted by Jose Sanchez a Downhiller from Tallahassee, FL, US

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2009

Strengths:    Climbs better than any XC bike I have ever ridden and desends better than any downhill bike I have ever ridden, except maybe the demo 8 ( have ridden a lot of them trust me).

Weaknesses:    A bit pricey!

Bottom Line:
    This is the best bike I have ever ridden. The bike delivers what you want when you want it. If you are riding xc it rides like a carbon Rush & if you're into drops it can take a hit like a demo 8. But what most impressed me was its ability to climb with no slip nor did it wheelie out the front. If you've got the money spend it on the RFX...mine was expensive because of my setup. The frame was $1650.

Favorite Trail:   Tom Brown

Purchased At:   Higher Ground Bike S

Similar Products Used:   Specialized pitch, Specialized big hit, Kona stinky, Trek Remedy, Specialized Enduro, Gary Fisher Fat Possum, Specialized XC, Cannondale Rush.

Bike Setup:   Chris King all the way around; BB, headset and hubs, Mavic DTrac rims, raceface cranks, SLX brakes 203f & 185r. FOX 36 Vanilla R (Sweet). FOX coil rear shock.

Submitted by sunshynjunky a Weekend Warrior from Colorado

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2009

Strengths:    The usual boring Turner stuff, Super strong, super stiff, bombproof, perfect finish, Blah blah blah

Weaknesses:    Um..? weakness? yeah right!

Bottom Line:
    It rocks! I had a Six Pack before this RFX. Some jerk weed stole it. I got the new RFX in its place. I was a bit worried about losing the Horst link. The new Turner came. first I would like to say this thing is solid, solid, solid! There is no rear end flex. This thing is stiffer that most hard tails I have played with. I am a bike mechanic, I have played with a lot. For how light this thing is, it is ridiculously strong. The finish is perfect.
    I built it up and immediately took it to The mountains of Alabama to ride at the East coasts highest mtb park and OHV trail, Cheeaha State park.
    Trails on the MTB park were tight and technical, climbs were long and steep, lots of rocks, roots and obstacles on very tight trails. The OHV ( 22miles of deep woods motorcycle trails- in the mountains- most fun since MOAB!) trail was wide super fast with lot of jumps, rollers, banks, drops, long climbs, ruts, gullies,and mud. It was rough and fast. This thing tracks like a motorcycle. I was able to climb everything ( some stuff were were all walking after all we were the only ones on bikes. we heard a lot of "what y'all doon ahn dem pedal bahks").
    That Totem on the front is sick! As to the geometry and rear end. I am glad Turner is doing away with the horst link. It is all marketing. This TNT rear rides better IMO. the bike doesn't dip under heavy high speed braking, it is stiffer, the ride quality is identical, supple, no bobbing, takes huge hits in stride. Also the geometry in more "BMX'ish" My SixPack was a little sluggish. This RFX feels like a Arabian stallion ( Ive never ridden an Arabian but I'll bet its fun!) The bike is fast handling, yet stable.
    I was smoking my buddies down hill all weekend. With all the mud, clay dust, sand, gravel, Not a single squeak ( my buddies Special#$%@, eee er eee er click clack). I love my Turners
    What else can I say but thank you Turner!
    PS If you get one get a good lock!
    Also Buy the grease kit they sell. I used car grease the first time. Second time I used the Prep M Turner sells, it is noticeably superior grease.

Favorite Trail:   Commando Loop

Similar Products Used:   Giants, Special@#@%, Turner

Bike Setup:   I9 Enduro, Code brakes, XO group, Thompson seatpost, Totem set to 6"(160mm), RP23, Race Face D2 STEM, RF Head set,RF handelbars, Syncros Mental Mag pedals, XT crank/BB

Submitted by TLL a Downhiller from NorCal

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2008

Strengths:    Incredibility stiff. No flex in rear end. Tracks incredibly well and does a superb job holding the line in corners. Great for plowing through chunk or drops, or having more fun than is legal.

Weaknesses:    Stock RP23 not the best
    Not an XC bike

Bottom Line:

Simply the best bike I have ever owned. The TT fits me perfectly, after the first ride I felt like I had come home. This bike will handle anything except a super steep DH run (duh), but for that get a DHR. It handles super chunky terrain, drops, steeps, with few if any issues at all, other than you will be busting a smile so big you might miss a turn.

As I am a large rider, I swapped the RP23 for a CCDB and could not be happier. The CCDB and RFX are a match made in heaven, I suggest getting one and not looking back. I ride this bike everywhere, from China Camp to N* and it does not disappoint. It has helped me up my skills so I'll be looking at a DHR next.

Favorite Trail:   Solstice

Purchased At:   some guy

Similar Products Used:   None that compare

Bike Setup:   CCDB shock, TALAS 36, WTB Laserdisc FR on Hadley hubs, X9, MEGA brakes, you get the idear.

Submitted by phatyres a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA, U.S.

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2008

Strengths:    It is a Turner so you know the bike is gonna perform!! I love that I can bomb this bike and it is just stout! It is fun to ride both down and surprisingly up! The RFX climbs very well for a 6.4" travel bike and mine weighs 33 lbs! Not that it is super heavy, but compared to my Specialized Epic Marathon Carbon there is a difference, but something I'm not willing to cry about since it handles so well in all the other categories of cornering, jumping and bombing!

Weaknesses:    None come to mind!

Bottom Line:
    I originally purchased this bike as my fun bike. I now ride this bike for training and having fun at the same time! If you can wait for an 09 RFX go for it! I just happen to find a great deal and this is the only bike I ride now!! There are great deals on this frame everywhere right now! Get one and build it up, you won't be disappointed!!

Favorite Trail:   Demo

Purchased At:   Private Party

Similar Products Used:   Tested and demoed Nomad, 575, Mojo, Stumpjumper, and Enduro SL.

Bike Setup:   08 Raw RFX, 08 Fox RP23, 08 Fox 36 Talas, Chris King Headset, Thomson Stem, Easton Monkey Lite DH Bars, Formula Oro The One Brakes 180, Philwood Front Hub, Stealth Rear hub, Mavic 521's, WTB Prowler 2.5, Race Face Atlas AM Cranks 36/24, Gamut Bash Guard, Crank Bros. Mallet 2 Pedals, Gravity Dropper, WTB Devo Seat.

Submitted by tomsharo a Weekend Warrior from Presque Isle, Me USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2008

Strengths:    Quality, attention to detail, weight and durabiity

Weaknesses:    None, maybe price but you get what you pay for

Bottom Line:
    This is the best bike I have ever owned and I do it all on the bike. I weighs in at 28.7 lbs a great weight for a 6.4" travel bike. Climbs very well but shines downhill and on technical rough single track. Makes this old coot look young. Turner rules and so does the Nordic heritage Center. Come ride our northern Maine trails for free and enjoy our fat tire festival sept 27-28.

Favorite Trail:   Toms trail NHC

Price Paid:    $1995.00

Purchased At:   Rocky Mtn Sports

Similar Products Used:   Turner 5 spot, Ellsworth Epiphany,d rocky mtn flow fs, haro sonic, jamis xlt 3.0 and chumba xcl

Bike Setup:   Marzzochi all mtn sl, or fox talas 36 r, XT derailleur, shifters, avid juicy 7 brakes, race face carbon crank and bb, fsa carbon bars, thompson seatpost, stem, white industries hubs on sun rims, nevagal tires, and crane creek headset..

Submitted by gt2brew a Weekend Warrior from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2008

Strengths:    Craftsmanship, climbing, descending, stiff, and light

Weaknesses:    Could use a qr seatpost clamp(had to dig for that)

Bottom Line:
    This bike does it all. It climbs VERY well. It descends with confidence, never nervous, just point and go. Having spent the last 5 years on a Horst Link bike, I was somewhat leery of deviating from what I thought was the best suspension design. But once I dialed this bike in it showed me these folks know how to design a bike. Are you concerned about the use of bushings instead of bearings? Not a problem, the suspension is ultra smooth and squeak free and it feels stiffer than any other bike I tried. It has an RP23 Fox shock on it with 3 Propedal settings which is somewhat of a waste because the suspension is mostly bob free without it.
    Everything is well thought out from the shaped down tube that allows for coiled shocks, to the rear yokes that give room for huge tires. I run 2.5 WTB’s and there is plenty of mud room. I have it built up at 33lbs. which is light for a 6” travel bike.
    Buy one, enjoy, and you’ll soon understand what everyone means by “It handles like a Turner.”

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Turner

Similar Products Used:   Replaced an Iron Horse

Bike Setup:   Talas 36, XT Cranks, X9 everything else, Hayes 9 7" brakes, Hope ProII hubs, Rhyno Lite XL rims, WTB Weirwolf 2.5's

Submitted by Tal from Israel

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2008

Bottom Line:
    The 2008 RFX is an amazing aggressive trailbike.
    Extremely plush, stiff & confidence inspiring in technical terrain. Corners beautifully and climbs very efficiently.
    As compared to my previous 5spot, my technical terrain capabilities and confidence have jumped considerably, aerobic rides on broken rocky terrain are so much more fun, and I still feel at home hammering on non-technical trail rides (albeit just a little slower). Hats off to Dave turner for the best trail bike I have ever ridden.

Bike Setup:   Currently set up light at ~31 lbs with a Fox Talas 36, RP23, Hope/Stans Flow/Minion wheels and XTR.

Submitted by Scott Smith a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, Wa. USA

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2008

Strengths:    Light, stiff, nice slack and low angles, low maintenance and nice progressive bob-free travel

Weaknesses:    choosing right size is tricky... go by the top tube length!

Bottom Line:
    The '07 RFX really showcases how far "all mountain" bikes have come. Mine weighs in at 33lbs with a coil shock, 2.4 tires, and no stupid light parts... but this bike feels like a 40lb freeride bike on the downs. Very laterally stiff, and the suspension ramps up nicely at the end. The geometry is perfect for all mountain use- slack and low enough it can handle anything at whistler, but it's still a fun bike to climb on all day. The talas 36 is a great fit on this bike, with the fork at 130 it steepens up the angles just a bit and this bike becomes a technical climbing machine. Compared to my old '02, the new model feels a LOT lighter, and not as easy to bottom the suspension. Like all turners, this frame is virtually maintenance free- just give the pivots a few squirts with a grease gun 2-3x a year and thats it. This is why so many turner owners keep buying turners, they are super low maintenance. My only complaint, I felt I was between sizes based on seat tube lengths, which seem short on this bike.. so I went up a size. I'm quite happy with it, but next time I will go back down a size. Short seat tubes are becoming the norm to accommodate the adjustable seat posts like the gravity dropper. If I could only own one bike this would be it. rock on turner!

Favorite Trail:   cheap thrills

Purchased At:   redstone cycles

Similar Products Used:   owned: Older RFX, titus motolite & switchblade, sanat cruz sinle pivots...ridden buddies intense 6.6, giant reign, yeti 575 etc.

Bike Setup:   Talas 36, roco TST coil, SRAM, etc.

Submitted by Jesse a Racer from NorCal

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2007

Strengths:    Climbing, descending, quality of construction, and the legendary customer service Turner provides.

Weaknesses:    The only thing I would change is the BB height.
    I would prefer a bit lower bb, but I like lower bbs than most.

Bottom Line:
    The RFX is the perfect all mountain bike for riders who like to rip the descents, but still climb to the top first.
    My bike built up to just over 30#, plenty light enough for all day rides. My medium frame with powdercoat weighed in at 6.75 pounds ½ pound lighter than claimed, how often does that happen?
    The RFX pedals great, as well if not better than a number of 5" bikes I have ridden. This bike would make an excellent super d choice, or just the go to bike when you want to have fun on the trails. The RFX doesn't climb like a lightweight xc race bike, it climbs much better! By this I mean that the ample suspension provides tons of traction when climbing over ledges, roots, loose rocks and other trail features.
    I was on a 6.6 before the RFX and while it had a firmer pedaling platform, it would skip around and lose traction on rough climbs.
    I was happy to find that Turner's move away from the Horst link did not negatively affect pedaling and braking behavior of the RFX. After a couple of years on VPP bikes (first the Nomad and then the 6.6) it was refreshing to be on an active suspension design again. To me VPP bikes feel a lot like a high forward single pivot on the trail.
    I like the RP23 shock a lot on the RFX, the selectable pedaling platform is very complementary to the suspension design. The suspension is very active with the Propedal off, then with a flick of the lever you can chose how firm you want the bike to pedal. In the #3 setting there is very little movement from the suspension even under hard pedaling efforts.
    The RFX really shines on the descents. It carries it's weight low and has a very stiff rear end, this combined with well sorted out geometry gives you a ton of confidence to charge whatever the trail may throw at you.
    The bike is very neutral in the air over jumps and drops, and lands softly with no flex or protest. Pounding through the rockgardens is a blast, the bike tracks true and soaks up rocks that look like they should put you over the bars.
    The excellent all around performance of the RFX combined with the best customer service in the bike industry lets me recommend this bike without hesitation.
    This is the bike I was hoping for when I bought the Nomad, and then the 6.6. Both of those bike had their strengths, but they also had major short-comings as well that caused me to move on looking for the better bike.
    The RFX is it.

Favorite Trail:   Anything rough and fast, too many good trails to pick just one