Turner 5 Spot All Mountain Full Suspension

4.72/5 (76 Reviews)

TheTurner 5.Spot revolutionizedTheTrail bike class in 2003 and now, several years later, it continuesTo raiseThe bar for unparalleled ride quality. WithThe addition ofThe dw-link and updatedTrail geometry,The 5 Spot pedals like a xc rocket while still handling like a gravity built machine.The dw-link isThe only design onThe marketThat is ableTo control unwanted bob and still remain active in more gear combinationsThan any other design. Dave Weagle has been refiningThe mathematics of optimum pivo

Turner Fivespot All Mountain Full Suspension Pro Review

A few years ago five-inches of suspension travel was “big hit” territory. These days it represents the meat of the curve in terms of do-it-all trailbikes. Keeping this in mind, the original Turner 5 Spot was pretty darn revolutionary back in 2003 with aspirations of merging the benefits of then-considered long travel suspension with a lightweight chassis designed for pedaling proficiency. Continue reading →

Submitted by shupack a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2014

Strengths:    one bike to rule them all!

Weaknesses:    stickers don't hold up to the abuse

Bottom Line:
Some day I'll send it back to the factory for a refresh, repaint and laser-etched graphics, but I don't want to be without it that long. I've had many bikes over the last 20 years, and this is hands down my favorite.

Favorite Trail:   Bent Creek

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   trek fuel, trek Y-frame (total crap), GT zaskar, Trek 830, several other unimpressive bikes i can't remember

Bike Setup:   RS Revelation 150mm, 1x9 x9, m785 brakes, CK hubs, Crest rims

Submitted by Riding In Israel a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2013

Strengths:    Do anything bike

Weaknesses:    Have not found any yet, only been 8 years!

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in 2005 and have ridden a lot. For many years I was riding 5-6 times a week, each ride 15-35 km. Now I only ride about 3 rides a week. The setup has evolved over the years. When I upgraded from a Marin I swapped over a lot of the parts. Now I think it is perfect, well after I get my Gravity Dropper.
My local trails, ie out the back door are all hilly. My 5 Spot climbs great and then the fun starts. I am always amazed at the lines I can take and the ones I get on by mistake and make it! This bike soaks it all up! I love that I can do aggressive XC and killer single track and never feel like my bike is too much or too little. If you want a do anything bike this is the one.
Turner's customer service is unequaled. I have had great experiences with them and my buddy has broken a few parts and they always stand behind their stuff!

Favorite Trail:   Srigim in Park Britania

Duration Product Used:   8 years

Purchased At:   Pedalim

Bike Setup:   Speed Dream custom wheels, maxxis HighRollers always tubeless, Fox Vanilla 140 Fork, RP23, Cane Creek 110 Headset, Louise Brakes, Carbon Bars, XT front and rear derailleur, 3X9.

Submitted by Brock Ainsworth a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2012

Strengths:    Ride quality, rigidity, versatility, durability, its a great bike

Weaknesses:    Weight, rear triangle hits seat tube on some large hits.

Bottom Line:
I have been an avid rider for about 18 years and have ridden a lot of different bikes over the years. I wanted a bike that suited my riding style, which is primarily very aggressive XC/All mountain/ and some freeride. I live in the midwest, and my daily rides are very rocky rooty singletrack with + and - 100 to 200 feet in elevation. It seems the chosen bike around here is a short travel 29er or hardtail. These bikes are fine for most people, but I'm not a racer and I like to drop off things, and jump. I also spend quite a bit of time riding all over the mountain west and when I go out west I want to ride the longest decents and most technical trails I can find from bike parks to epic mountain trails. In a nutshell I wanted one bike that could be as versatile as I needed and this 5 spot is it. No, it isn't an XC carbon fiber rocket, nor is it a 7 inch freeride bike, but for a guy like me that rides everything, it does a hell of a good job.

After running a 140mm fork on it for about 4 months, I decided to go for a used Fox VAN 160 with a straight steertube. This was a great decision. It took a few rides to get used to the change but the bike feels so good with this fork. It raised the BB a tad and it just rips downhills and rails corners. I have no problem riding this bike on XC trails and I've had no problem riding bike parks either. This bike is exactly what I wanted. Its versatile, durable and climbs like a goat. This is the bike to have if you wanted the coveted "ONE" bike. If you have the $$$ for two sets of wheels, you can really set this bike up for anything. I would really like to get a coil shock for the rear for riding more downhill, but the RP23 does a pretty good job overall.

After riding a 4 bar Kona Dawg for about 7 years and riding the trails of Teton pass one summer, I realized I needed a more capable bike. The first ride on Spot blew my mind, the suspension just glued the rear wheel to the trail and the stiffness was amazing. If you just want an excellent, aggressive bike, this is the one to go with. I found mine very lightly used on ebay for 1200 bucks, so I feel I got an amazing deal. I don't know if I could swing the 2500 retail, but if you look hard enough you can find last years models or used models. Had a very slight issue with the reducers in the bushings, contacted Turner, had excellent service every time I have contacted them. Great bike, great company and looks tough and industrial. Buy it.

Favorite Trail:   Lithium Trail Teton/Alpine Trail Oakridge OR/Squamish BC

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   LX/XT mix, Fox VAN RC2 160, Easton Havoc Wheelset, 70mm Thompson Stem. Flats and SPDs

Submitted by Vespasianus a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2012

Strengths:    Good climber. American made. Room for wide tires. Good all around bike. Stiff. Did I mention American made? Straight 44mm head tube give lot of room to modify geometry.

Weaknesses:    Not really great in any one area. More controlled than plush. Heavy.

Bottom Line:
So, I have had the bike for close to a year now and feel that I know it enough to write a review on it. I purchased the frame when they had the blow outs last year and always wanted a turner and felt that at those prices, I could not pass it up. So for $1500, the frame came to my door. I had a LBS build the bike and overall, it went without a hiccup. I previously rode a Titus ML and used many of those components for the Turner. Initially, I ran the bike with a 160mm Manitou Nixon (20mm front). While that bike was nice and felt pretty bomb proof, I eventually moved to a 145mm Nixon (20 mm) that was more suited for my terrain, which involves more climbing that ball out descending.

The bike takes some time to break in, about 25-50 hours, which is not a bad thing. It seem like many people have had bushing issues and it is a bit of a waiting game in the beginning but luckily for me, my bike did seem to get plusher. I had previously ridden a dw linked Iron Horse and did not like the peddle feedback in the granny gear. This feedback is still present (albeit to a lesser degree) in the 5 spot. When I first started riding the Spot, you could feel and hear the chain tightening in the granny. However, after a while, I got used to it and it no longer seems to bother me. Also, and more importantly, you don't really need the granny gear on this bike. You can hammer and grunt in the middle ring and the anti-squat will keep you going forward. This is very different from a HL type bike where you need to spin to avoid the squat (bob).

The bike is a good climber. The frame is still heavy and the geometry is not totally favorable for climbing but the bike is still a good climber. Technical climbing is good as well. However, you have to be careful and put the power down at the right time as the system does seem to firm up and is not as good of a technical climber as a HL type bike, but it is not bad by any means.

From a rear suspension point of view, it is not bad. The ride is more controlled than plush. The 5 inches feel exactly like that and in no way shape or form would I call it bottomless. Small and medium sized hits are taken much better than bigger hits. I have shimmed the shock as well and this helps with bottom out but I think PUSH will be needed to really sort out the rear of this bike. As it stands, the RP23 has no middle and either blows through its travel or pings off things. In many ways, I would say it is about as plush than my old ML, which had a PUSHed and highly tuned shock. Taking this further, the overall ride of the Spot is similar to the ML when ridden with PP on. This is not a bad thing at all, as Spot has better geometry and is much stiffer than my old bike.

Overall, the 5-spot is a very good bike that is at home on many different trails. You can ride an extremely technical trail one day and a groomed single track the next and the bike will work nicely in both. Is it everything I hoped it would be? No, not really. I was probably expecting too much, but it is a really good bike and one that I would highly recommend.

Favorite Trail:   All

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Titus Motolite, Specialized FSR, Santa Cruz Blut LT, GT Sensor, GT Force.

Bike Setup:   Large 2011 black frame. Rp23 shock. Low/low tune. Manitou Nixon (145 or 160 with IT) fork with 20mm axle. Sram XO twist shifters with 9 speed cassette. 745mm wide bars and 60mm stem. Running 2.4 Maxxis Advantage Exo with Stans (tubeless) up front and a Continental MK II 2.4 Black Chili protection in the rear, also tubeless. Rims are 819 UST and hubs are Hope in front and King in rear. Cranks are SLX and pedals are XT trail.

Submitted by Funkrodent a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2012

Strengths:    Climbs very well. Descends superbly. Is very forgiving. Superb control, corners on a sixpence/dime. Very stiff, yet very comfortable, can be flicked around and yet holds the line with composure when needed. DW Link. Great geometry. Is outright fun, fun fun!

Weaknesses:    Lets you/makes you go fast, fast, fast. Sometimes too fast :)

Bottom Line:
Spent ages upon ages researching a full suspension bike. Tested quite a few (Trance, Fuel, Stumpy etc), the 5 just felt better in every way (up, down, around, along etc). But the price! Found a 2010 frame in the sales, bought it and built it up. Been riding it now in NW UK. Big hills (not Colorado, but big enough), lots of rocks, mud, loose surfaces, rain, climbing, descending, barrelling along. The bike is superb, and in hindsight wouldn't change a thing. In fact it is so good that I am now seriously considering buying a Flux too. Previous to this I had a Cannondale hardtail that climbed like the proverbial goat and I have to say that my main concern re full suspension (lack of climbing ability) has been sorted by the spot which got me up a climb in Wales yesterday that I had never got up on the hardtail. I'd say its worth every penny and then some.

Favorite Trail:   Llandegla B-Line

Purchased At:   Wiggle (frame only).

Similar Products Used:   Tested the Trance, Fuel and Stumpy (2011 models)

Bike Setup:   Revelation forks. Deore groupset. Mavic XM719 rims on Hope Pro2 hubs. Easton EA70 100mm stem and EA70 monkey bars. DMR vault pedals

Submitted by moses a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2012

Strengths:    the best bike ever

Weaknesses:    non

Bottom Line:
I bought the frame about six months ago, a simple round tubes , DW suspension
Soft pleasant and responds exactly where needed
Very bike slightly uphill and Rsitliim very enjoyable and falls
Just fun

Similar Products Used:   trek fuel ex 8, intense 5.5 evp

Bike Setup:   turner 5 spot frame l,full xt/xtr,mavic crossmax st wheels,thomson seat post & hope qr,easton bar

Submitted by 2holdens a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2012

Strengths:    strong, well engineered, astonishing climber, wicked descender

Weaknesses:    slightly heavy? but it doesn't matter in practice

Bottom Line:
After 15 years of mountain biking and who knows how many bikes and frames., I found it. this is it.

I settled on this frame as Turner truly cater for the shorter rider with ample stand over, and a short head tube. That and the engineering, serviceability and DW link. So many brands out there have inexplicably long head tubes which make the front end wander on climbs, and frame sizes too large for anyone under 5'7". This bike addresses these issues and excels.

It was admittedly a toss up between this and the pivot 5.7, but the turner won out in the end . The factors that swayed me were the journal bearings; the rugged overbuilt quality (you can run 160mm forks if you like); the endless praise out there; the 44mm head tube on my 2011 model (allowing greater compatibility with forks); cable routing; short head tube; geometry; longer top tube; brake connectors and standard BB threading. the pivot in my size would've left me with a shorter TT (and felt cramped), press fit BB, sealed bearings, less fork compatibility, and having to run a longer stem, though it would've been a little lighter.

This bike took a little fiddling with rear shock pressures, but once I found the right setting it was fine. What blew me away was the climbing. There is NO noticeable bob in climbing, in or out of the seat. Due to the lowered cockpit setup, some very tech steep hairpin climbs I struggled with before are easy now. You will have to work for your climbs as always, but the DW link and geometry really does make it all easier.

Descending, the spot is a friggin rocket. It's less plush in some ways than other bikes I've ridden, but I can use the different shock pressure to ping it off rocks and roots. It loves to be thrown around and leaned in hard to corners. It laughs at jumps and drop offs, and reminds you always that it's faster than you can be. with a 50mm stem, this thing is confidence inspiring.

I love riding this bike. I look around at the other bikes around me on the trails and shake my head, I don't want to ride anything else. And that is a new thing for me.

I recommend this bike for all mountain use, for those that love to go up as much as they like to go down. To anyone who wants the best, most dependable mtb frame out there - one that doesn't fall into the expensive/scary/risky carbon and titanium trap.

Favorite Trail:   Tathra NSW australia

Purchased At:   scv imports australi

Similar Products Used:   many,many frames

Bike Setup:   Grey ago size S 2011 Turner 5 spot, cane creek 110 44 headset, Fox talas 140mm, RF Next carbon risers, 50mm thomson X4 stem, Thomson seat collar and seat post, Selle italia flite saddle, saint RD, xtr 11-34 cassette, xtr chain, xtr m970 70mm cranks, 30T widgit front ring (www.widgit.com.au - awesome product), Avid Elixir CR brakes, mavic crossmax st wheels, WTB mutano raptor 2.4 tyres

Submitted by turnerrider33

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2012

Strengths:    Everything.
Climbs extraordinarily well, better than anything else I've ever ridden. Downhill is fast, solid, and extremely accurate. Travel is perfect, including the rear DW link with the RP23 high volume, and the front Fox 32 150mm float. I thought my 2005 5 Spot was amazing until I got on my new 2011 frame. The improvements in 2011 and forward are mind blowing. Light weight for the type of bike. Anodized black! Dave Turner will speak with you if you have a question! Outstanding company to deal with. Made in the USA.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I've owned a 5 Spot since 2005, yet never reviewed the bike for whatever reason. So here it goes. I've owned two 5 Spots. The first was the 2005 version with the horst link, built with Fox DHX 5.0 air rear, Fox Talas 110-130 front, XT groupo, Avid Juicy 7s, and Thomson/King components. I rode this until last year. Over the winter, I built a 2011 5 Spot with the new XT 780/785 mixed groupo, Fox RP23 high volume rear, Fox Float 150 RLC/FIT front, custom King/Stan's Flow wheels, Formula The ONE FR brakes with 180mm rotors, Thomson stem/seatpost, King headset, Easton EC70 carbon bars, Selle Italia Flight seat, and Kenda Nevegal 2.35 tubeless tires. The 2011 build comes in just shy of 31 pounds according to listed weights, but I have not actually weighed it.

I have had the bike out on only two rides, but being a long time 5 Spot owner, I understand the bike pretty well already. I'll spare you my thoughts on every component and focus in on the new rear linkage since that's the main part that jumped out to me while riding (yes, you also have the insanely well built frame, featuring killer welds, large diameter tubing, 1.5-1 1/8 tapered compatible head tube, and many more attributes that I could rave

I was pleasantly shocked during both rides to see that Turner has outdone itself with the new DW rear linkage. Over the winter while I was building the bike, I began to fear that I had overdone the travel, since I would now be sporting 5.5in on the rear and 5.92in on the front. I ride the rocky northeast, so I like travel. But I also like to lead the pack on a 10+ mile ride. Turner's new 5 Spot is a pack leader, and that's probably the only way to explain it. I climbed extremely technical rock sections with it and it blew away my old 5 Spot. The rear linkage kept traction throughout every technical climb and I never felt either that I was bobbing or that I did not get all of the energy I put in to each kick. The climbing ability honestly shocked me. I always thought my old 5 Spot climbed well, but the new build felt significantly better. Its a machine built to climb, and the 5.5 on the rear makes it climb like a it has spider legs touching every rock for every piece of traction available.

Can it go downhill you ask? Down was as buttery smooth as up. I'm running the recommended 150mm front fork, which I highly recommend despite my early trepidations. The 150 pairs extremely well with the 5.5 on the rear. I rode one of my favorite high speed downhill sections last weekend and the bike was extremely agile. The bike lives for speed, which in part probably comes from the slight slackening of the head angle in 2011. All in all, you could not ask for a better downhill machine in the AM range.

One last thing I'd like to point out is Turner as a company. I've called Turner Bikes on probably about 5 occasions. In 2010, I had them rebuild my old Turner, including a repaint to blue and full linkage rebuild. Then I recently called with some questions. Everyone has been great, which is rare for companies these days. Also, at least twice, I've spoken directly with Dave, who's been really helpful. Plus, everything is made in the US.

Conclusion: Honestly, my mind just went blank thinking about what I like most. The conclusion is buy it. It's impossible to go wrong.

Submitted by Jay a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2012

Strengths:    A very durable product with a sweet DW suspension system. I like the zerk system.
A very stiff design.
Great company

Weaknesses:    A little heavy for 5.5" of travel.
Crappy cable routing
Too linear rear shocks needs a sleeve to keep me from blowing through the travel

Bottom Line:
It sounds like I don't like this bike from above but I like it a lot. A very durable bike. This review is for the 2010. I think the 2011 would be sweet with the 44mm and slightly slacker angles. This poor bike is ridden in muck all the time and comes back for more. Overall, a great product.

Favorite Trail:   Dog River

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   I rode a 2003 Turner 5 Spot for many years.

Bike Setup:   XO shifters, DT 240 with Mavic tubeless rims
SLX crank and brakes
Gravity Dropper seatpost
Thomson stem
Crappy Nevegal UST tires (hate these tires)

Submitted by Single-Trak-Mind a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, California

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2011

Strengths:    I weigh between 250 and 320. All I have to do is adjust the pressures/rebound and no problems. Frame takes this abuse and has since 2003. Hard rider for the past 8 years and still, the frame is still alive. The massive joint welds ensure that even under extreme circumstances, this frame will never explode on impact.

Weaknesses:    Chain suck at the bottom bracket/chain stay pivot point. I had to file these areas down so that I could remove the chain. Bumpy downhill jams always leave my chain bouncing off the chain ring. It always ends up jammed between the two afore mentioned areas and it takes finding a couple straight rocks to pound out the pinced chain. WIDEN these areas... but I have noticed that on the newer frams, the bottom bracket is/appears to be 2" below the chain stay/swivel point.

Bottom Line:
If you are a heavy guy/gal, this is the frame for you!! You can build it as cheap or expensive as you wish. Bottom line, the geometry of this frame was designed with "big hits" in mind. HEAVIER RIDERS REJOICE!! This frame will not let you down!! (figuratively speaking)

Favorite Trail:   All Southern California and now, Dallas Texas area trails!!

Purchased At:   Purchased from a bud

Similar Products Used:   Specialized "hard tail".. Three Rock-Hopper frames busted at the chain stay/bottom bracket weld point. One frame broke there and at the rear deraliluer hangar joint.. Crazy wrecks when the frame explodes on you.

Bike Setup:   IMAGINE THIS IF YOU WILL: Still using all 8 speed Shimano XTR Rapid Rise components for the drive train. SRAM chain (seems to not wear out as fast as the Shimano ones do) Marzocchi Z3 Bomber front fork and of course, the Fox Coil-Over set up (800lb spring). Panaracer tires, MAVIC wheels .......... Selle Italia seat, Carbon fiber riser bar,,carbon fiber seat post.. All this is still from 2003...and it just keeps going, and going, and going.. Sorta like the EverReady Rabbit!

Submitted by cbussiere a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2011

Strengths:    Exceptional rear suspension performance
Exceptional frame stiffness
Durable design
Excellent geometry
Confidence inspiring stiffness

Weaknesses:    Expensive
Heavier-than-some-competitors (not that it matters)
2011 Model does not accommodate all piggyback style shocks

Bottom Line:
NOTE: I AM A LIFE-LONG NEW ENGLAND WOODS RIDER. MY REVIEW IS BASED ON THE TIGHT, SUPER-TECHNICAL, SLIPPERY, MUDDY TRAILS OF MY HOME TURF.

ABOUT ME: 6'3", ~200lbs ready-to-ride, 20 years of riding all over the country, ride about 3x a week.

*********************************************************

I have spent the better part of 3 years drooling over the Turner 5.Spot Frame for many reasons... I am a Mechanical Engineer, and as such I immediately recognized the strength and durability built into this frame. Strong design, grease ports at every pivot (and each one well protected), clean tube routing, and a sterling reputation!

**********************************************************
Santa Cruz Troubles...

At the start of 2011 I found a deal (on Chainlove.com) for a Santa Cruz Blur LT 2 frame that I just couldn't pass up. At the time the Santa Cruz frame was only $850 where the Turner frame was $2550! I decided to give the Santa Cruz a try since so many of my riding buddies ride this frame...

At first I thought I had gotten a good deal, but throughout the year I had many issues with the frame (busted pivot shafts (2x), broken grease ports (3x), busted bearings(2x)). I did a couple stunts, but nothing really serious, some mild drop offs and some easy wheelie drops. Not a big deal, no huge hucks or jumps or anything. In addition, everyone else that I know who rides this frame broke it at the rear-triangle-upright. I was beginning to regret my decision...

This combined with the fact that the frame never rode the way I wanted, specifically, the Blur always seem to wallow in its mid-stroke and even on flat ground I found myself reaching for the Pro-Pedal lever to keep the back end up. I played with air pressure and rebound settings but the frame always seemed to squat, and it was ESPECIALLY bad on the real steep, technical climbs. When I was in the granny ring and really digging hard to clear an uphill root or rock, the backend just didn't seem to be up to the task. If I added more air, the suspension got really harsh and I lost all the small-bump sensitivity, if I increased damping, it would pack down.

Turner Awesomeness!

I wanted to make sure I clarified what I didn't like on the Blur so I could emphasize how different the Turner is! My first ride on the Turner was a night ride on some of my backyard trails that I know very well. The leaves have fallen here in NE and the trails are slick and damp so I was keenly aware of EVER move the bike made on these trails.

First impressions: rear suspension is COMPLETELY different... no squat, no bob, no monkey-motion at all. This is one case when you can really believe the hype! I have ridden DOZENS of bikes over the years and this is the first full suspension design I have been on that really doesn't move due to rider input.

Also, the more relaxed head angle really makes the bike confidence inspiring over the severely technical terrain.

The rear chain-stays are significantly shorter than the Blur's chainstays (to my surprise, I had to remove a link from the chain!)

MY BIGGEST CONCERN, turned out to be this bikes greatest surprise! On paper, the Turner has a 0.3" lower BB than the Blur... I was VERY concerned about the possibility of rock-pedal strikes. This was a MAJOR problem on the Blur and was a major reason for my deciding to replace it. But TO MY SURPRISE, the Turner suffers far FEWER rock-pedal strikes! The rear suspension just naturally sits so much higher that the pedals don't spend as much time near the ground!

So far I can say that this bike climbs fantastically well in my native terrain (excellent small bump compliance, even under full power, doesn't wander, great traction).

I haven't really tested the descending capabilities, but on the slow, super-technical descents that we have in my neighborhood it was VERY confidence inspiring, it didn't wander at all and REALLY held the tight technical lines very well! What you read about this frames stiffness is spot-on. Its amazingly stiff, and it really shows when riding off-camber rocks, or trying to navigate a steep chute with technical features.

The more relaxed head tube did mean that I needed to recalibrate my body-english for some technical features, but that will come with more rides I'm sure.

I would also like to emphasize that I don't buy frames frequently, and one of the major reasons I bought this bike was I believe it is really built-to-last. The frame design is EXCELLENT (plenty of clearance, good well protected grease ports, pivot-bushings-are-the-best-thing-since-beer-in-a-can, strength where its needed). Again, I am an engineer and I was a bike mechanic for 13 years. I know a good frame when I see one and this bike is worth every-penny of its $2550 asking price... the deal I got was so good I couldn't possibly pass it up.

Last word:

yes, this is one helluva expensive frame... if you flip frames every season, you probably won't see the benefit of all the attention to detail. If you plan to buy one bike and ride it mercilessly for the next 5-10 years, then this is the ONLY bike I would recommend! PERFECT.

Made in America...

The fact that this fantastic bike is Made in America makes me extremely proud, and the quality shown in its design and execution really demonstrates what we can achieve if we really put our hearts and minds to something.

I have now ridden this frame

Favorite Trail:   Willard Brook SF

Purchased At:   Blueskycycling.com

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Blur LT 2 (owned for one season and replaced it with this frame)
Specialized Enduro Expert (owned for almost 10 years)
Cannondale Super V Ravel
Cannondale Jekyll

Bike Setup:   2011 Turner 5.Spot Frame, Fox 32 Vanilla RLC fork, Fulcrum Red Metal XL 1 wheels, XT/SLX drivetrain mix, Thompson controls, Syncros Saddle.

Submitted by hora a Weekend Warrior from UK, UK

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2011

Strengths:    Please note this is a review on the 2011 fivespot. I'm not a fan of the 5spot whilst climbing. However going down its reassuring, very quick (alot quicker than me if this makes sense) and assuring. This 2011 fivespot frame replaced a 2010 under warranty and its an improvement in every area- I really struggled to get on with the 2010 version. I just found it too 'tall', nervous and awful when leaning- angles too sharp/steep.

Weaknesses:    The price. Its expensive. Too many areas to clean around the bottom bracket/base of the chainstay/yoke.
Front mech compatibility- its a royal PITA.

Bottom Line:
I'm abit of a nervous rider and the 2010 version made me even more so.

The 2011 is encouraging, neutral and I actually found myself pinging off off rocks, drops etc in the trail without thinking about it- just did it.

Its also waaay faster than I am skillwise. I realised I was flying on it and had to anchor on as I was concious it may hurt if I fell at that speed!

Its early days yet but I am happy as Larry :oD

Finally, you really can't fault Turners Customer Service through their UK agent Silverfish. Amazing.

Favorite Trail:   Glentress red

Purchased At:   Merlincycles

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Blur4x, Specialized SX etc.

Bike Setup:   Lyriks, Hope, Saint and XT mix.

Submitted by gregmazo a Racer from British Columbia, Canada

Look/finishing.
Grease ports.
Versatility.
Customer service.

Weaknesses:    Buying new is steep, but you totally get what you pay for, and believe me, you'll never regret.

Bottom Line:
First off, I must say I really fell in love with Turner bikes when I got my '08 Dhr last summer, and can easily tell you I will never have anything else than Turner.
But it doesn't mean I'm biased.

I'm in my early 20's, healty, I ride a lot (I even wish I could ride more), 90 downhill days and 50 all-mountain a year, at least. I breathe and dream mountain bikes. Nothing beats the feeling of being on a bike, no matter what.

As for size; I'am 5'11, 160 pounds, and I choose a large '09. I cannot say the sizing is perfect for me, but I can easily tell the medium would have been too small. Let's say I wish there was a 18 inches frame. Current medium being 17 and large 19. That's my preference, I've seen 5'10 people riding large as well. I'm honestly really happy with my larged size frame. And I guess turner sizing chart seems really accurate.

As for climbing; I really love to climb! Climbing is my strenght when going cross-country, I give everything I have to make it up. And the 5 spot is such an amazing pedaling bike, it sure doesn't climb as well as a 4 inches travel xc race bike, but I can tell you that, even with my killer 32.5 heavy build, the bike goes up easily, and sometimes, the 5.5 rear wheel travel really helps going up technical stuff. The DW-link is truly awesome.

As for downhill; This bike rips. I'm a really avid downhiller, and I built this bike good for both up and down.
Other than really, really steep stuff (I'm talking here about gnarly, gnarly stuff), this bike excels going down. It feels really stiff, brings confidence, and asks for more. It's not your average trail bike.
I've been going down A-line, Ninja cougar, Fade to black, the dual slalom course and lower canadian open DH in the Whistler bike park and had a total blast with this.

As for maintenance; Turner is known for their low maintenance, and this is true. The grease ports make greasing easy, I love it.

As for customer service; Phone turner in Murrieta, California and chances are that Dave Turner himself will answer, and will take care of you. Turner is known to have one of the best customer service in the industry. Greg and Dave have been really helpful and fast with my questions so far.

As for warranty; I got my frame used, and a VERY good thing about turner is their transferable warranty. Which means the second owner is still under warranty with the receipt of the first owner. No other company do this.
Some '09 had some issues, mine doesn't (yet), and I'm sure I'm abusing the bike more than the average Joe.

As for versatility/build; This bike is intriguing, some people ride it as their 26 pounds XC bike and some like me ride them as their hardcore all-mountain machine. It says lot.
I ride mine with a 160mm front fork, short 50mm stem, 710mm handlebar and the seat all the way down for downhill, thanks to my lovely remote seatpost.

As for price; Yes I got mine used, a very good deal if you ask me. But I would have bought new if I didn't find one in the couple weeks I've been looking. This is, hands down, the best bike I've ever had, and I had a lot.

Exclusivity; It's not that I care, but I've never seen other 5 spot in my area, and people are always asking and impressed about it. Turner's got a good reputation, and this bike doesn't lie about it.

Conclusion; If you are looking for a bike that climbs really well, and therefore goes downhill like a rocket, don't look further.

Thanks to all the guys at Turner guys, and to Dave Weagle.
You've made the best bike I've ever ridden, and this one makes me smile everytime.

Favorite Trail:   Ninja cougar

Similar Products Used:   Nothing compare to this, really.

Bike Setup:   Large '09 5 spot.
Rp23 (you really don't need it, just get yours with the 'R' to save some dough).
Float 36 RC2.
Mavic 819/XTR.
Xt brakes, crankset, derailleurs, cassette, rotors.
XTR shifters and chain.
Time atac pedals.
KS i950R seatpost.
50mm gravity stem.
710mm (28 inches) bar.
32.5 pounds of pure happiness.

Submitted by DSDuke a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2010

Strengths:    Decent weight. Climbs like a dream yet feels plush on the way down.

Weaknesses:    MSRP?

Bottom Line:
If you want a do it all trail bike, look no further. Of all the 26" full suspension bikes I've ridden, this was by far the best. It climbed like a goat--stable and firm on smooth climbs and nimble through the chunkier climbs.

Turn downhill and let her rip--the Spot can handle it all. The suspension always felt bottomless and yet the bike always felt quick and nimble, light and flickable.

You will get looks of envy from other riders on trail. I lost count of how many times I heard "Oooh, a Turner!" I don't say this to sound shallow and lame. There's a reason they get attention on trail--it because they are a damn fine machine.

Are there other bikes out there that ride well too? Absolutely. Are there bikes out there just as good as the Turner Spot? Absolutely Are there bikes out there better than the Turner 5 Spot? As far as 26" wheeled bikes go, not in my opinion.

Buy with confidence. The Turner 5 Spot is where it's at as gar as 26" wheeled bikes go.

I went with a full 29" stable and sold off all of my 26ers--including the 5 Spot. I don't regret doing it, but I miss my Spot still.

Favorite Trail:   The ones with dirt on them

Purchased At:   Bought frame from a

Similar Products Used:   Yeti 575, Specialized Enduro, Giant Reign.

Bike Setup:   Turner 5.5" rockers, Fox RP23 rear shock & 32 TALAS fork, Shimano XT cranks, UST wheels & hydro brakes. SRAM X9 shifters and der's. SRAM 990 cassette & chain.

Submitted by fuscopd a Weekend Warrior from san diego, ca

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2010

Strengths:    The bike climbs very well. It is not a XC racer but climbs very well. It descends amazingly.

Weaknesses:    Not sure if this is a weakness, but the bike is very finicky. It took a lot to dial in the bike, but now that I have it, it is amazing.

Bottom Line:
The bike really took some time to get setup. I am not sure why, but this bike is very finicky to setup. Small adjustments yield huge gains. More than other bikes I have ridden, this bike took a little work to get setup, but it has rewarded me greatly.

Now, I am in love, it is just amazing at how it descends. It rides like a 7inch travel bike over everything other than really big hits. I have bottomed out the shock so hard that it has nocked the rubber ring off and I didn't even feel it.

I hit berms faster, follow lines better, and overall descend faster.

I demoed this bike with a XT build, more XC setup with a Fox 140mm float. It climbed a little better but was not nearly as fun on the descents. However, the demo blew my expectations away so much so that I had to buy one.

Just Fyi:

5'7" 170lbs

Fork at 55psi/ 2 clicks low speed/ 3 clicks rebound (25% sag)

Shock at 155psi/ 3 clicks rebound (4 when jumping or more free-ride type stuff) (15mm sag)

Favorite Trail:   Anderson

Similar Products Used:   This is the only DW-Link bike I have ridden. Enduro, Stump Jumper, Fuel, Norco Shore.

Bike Setup:   Fox 36 TALAS 160/120mm, XT Rims with 20mm front and QR rear/ XTR all around, E-13 chain guide and bash guard, Race face atlas 70mm stem and bars. Formula RX 180/160 brakes. FS i950r seat post
Kendal Negal 2.35 UST (34psi) front/ Maxxis Highroller 2.35 UST (36psi)

5 Spot Frame compared to Giant Reign sizing and performance

Hello All, I have the chance to pick up a new 2012 5 Spot frame for a good deal. I currently have a Giant Reign (2013) and Trance X(2011) both size large. I have also had a Santa Cruz Nickel (XL) Is the 5 Spot worth the switch? Would I go XL on the 5 spot of L? I am 6'2" and like a t ... Read More »

5 Spot Country

Cumberland BC A great article on Pinkbike today about my town and local trails. He says it better than I can. Characters 11: The United Riders of Cumberland - Pinkbike Come and ride here if you can! My 11 Spot has a 160mm Pike and 2.4 Chunky Monkeys and rips it up here 4-5 days a week.Read More »

Need help pricing '04 Turner 5-Spot

Hi All, After delaying this too long, its time to sell my '04 Turner 5-Spot, with Horst Link suspension. Wanted to get some feedback on what is a fair price to ask. I'll post an ad on mtbr and local CL here in Denver. While the frame is 10 years old it has been well maintained and virtuall ... Read More »

nice shock for a 5 spot:mtbr ad

[url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=95222]Factory Tuned RockShox Monarch - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url]Read More »

My son's 5 Spot

28.5 lbs. parts bin build with the exception of the fork. Reasonably priced 1 1/8th steerer forks are hard to find. Tires are old and heavy. Will get him some new TR ones down the road. He's 11 so I wanted to give him a good climbing gear. Size small X-Fusion Velvet fork Arch rims laced to pr ... Read More »