Turner 2003 5 Spot All Mountain Full Suspension

-Seat Angle = 73.5 deg
-Head Angle = 69.0 deg

Submitted by Mountain Bike Mike a Racer from SF, CA

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2006

Strengths:    Everything. This frame rocks. The frame is balanced, the suspension sucks everything up, makes going downhill a kick. Climbs like a bat out of hell. This is a total suprise. Ok, so everything so far.

Weaknesses:    Havn't found anything yet. I weight 165 lbs soaking wet and it climbs and descends better than any bike I have ever owned.

Bottom Line:
Buy this bike if you can only afford one, are into Freeriding, and want to go fast all the time, especially downhill. If I had to get rid of all of my bikes, and could keep one, including the skinny tired asphalt runners and cross country racers, this would be it. Brings shear joy everytime I ride it. Totally forgiving on any trail. Frigging blasts downhill, sucks up everything, loose rocks, drops, logs, nothing matters anymore, brakes are now almost unnecessary. I will be racing this bike Super D this year, and looking forward to it.

Favorite Trail:   Mt.Tam Everywhere

Purchased At:   craigs list

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Mt. Tam, Specialized M4, Cannondale Scalpel, Moongoose Titanium Hardtail, Santa Cruz Chameleon.

Bike Setup:   Bought the frame on Craigs List, built it up with all XT drivetrain, Mavic 717 with WTB hubs, Avid cable disc brakes, Fox 130 RLC, RP-3, Easton handlebars, WTB velocoraptors front and back.

Submitted by Darkside from surrey, UK

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2005

Strengths:    Geometry, weight, suspension design, mud clearance - the perfect trail/all mountain bike

Weaknesses:    Price (especially in the UK!), paint finish and decals could be better/more durable

Bottom Line:
Im 5'11 and demoed the medium frame for a long and wet ride around leith hill, UK. As soon as i sat on the bike it felt like it had been custom built for me! The fairly slack head angle and steepish seat tube makes you feel you are sitting in the bike rather than ontop of it. Climbing was great especially with the propedal rp3 shock, traction was amazing and the front never felt light on the steep stuff. The bike felt really manovurable in tight singletrack and downhills were such a blast with the 5inch front and rear taking care of pretty much anything the trail could throw at me. The rp3 shock felt super smooth and the propedal setting for climbing or road work really helped and was easy to adjust whilst riding. Mud clearance on the 5 spot is massive and seems to have been biult especially for the UK's climate.
After the demo i had no aches or pains and felt that i could keep on riding all day (and night) which speaks volumes of the effectiveness of the suspension design.
Demo one if you can but be warned - you WILL not want to hand it back afterwards!

Purchased At:   nirvana cycles

Similar Products Used:   fsr 120 expert, 05 enduro expert

Bike Setup:   maverick sc32, mix of lx,xt groupset, rp3

Submitted by Kim a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2005

Strengths:    Frame geometry (rake), weight, travel, color, overall quality

Weaknesses:    decals peel easily

Bottom Line:
Once I got the bike dialed in she has exceeded my expectations. I on the smaller side at 5'5" and 135, so it took some time to get the fork and shock set correctly. Finally settled on 10psi for the shock load and 100 for the rebound compression. The first week was brutal until I got that taken care of, more falls in 7 days than the last 7 years! But now that we have made friends, I am completely impressed with what one of my friends now calls "5 inches of pure pleasure".

The bike has great clearance and geometry to inspire confidence and can take tough terrain without weighing in too heavy. My second favorite part about this bike is the way it accelerates when you point it downhill. What a blast. It climbs well and seems to be very well balanced and intuitive to handle.

If you are looking for a great "heavy duty cross country bike" this is the ticket. Girls should not be afraid of the bike, sometimes I catch slack over the travel and why anyone would want or need that for cross country, but once you experience the comfort and the capability you will be laugh at them. The price is fair and the quality of the Frame is great. You won't be dissappointed.

Favorite Trail:   Gauntlet

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Individual

Similar Products Used:   First current technology full suspension

Bike Setup:   Marzocci Free Ride Z1 Fork, Romic D Rear Sock, Flat carbon bar, 70mm stem, Sun Rhino front rim with 2.3 tire, Mavic rear rim with 2.0 rear tire, terry liberator saddle, easton seatpost, hayes HFX9 disc brakes

Submitted by corey martin a Racer from portland, oregon, usa

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2005

Strengths:    the perfectly slack head angle for descending without sacrificing climbability, durability, bushing design, balance, simple frame design, customer service, climbing, descending, cornering, verstility for many riding types

Weaknesses:    the same old thing here: logos could be more well considered and detailed.

Bottom Line:
I ride ultra distance xc to freeride. I have ridden FSR's in many iterations with travel increases and other modifications. I demo'd many bikes to get to this choice and I am very pleased.

Rode it in the Transrockies 7 day race and it was one of the few frames that didn't have bushing/bearing problems: I had to replace the entire drivetrain after the race...tons of mud and deep river crossings with power washing at the end of each day...but the Turner is like new..amazing. FTF tried to discourage the bushing design for our wet climate but now they are a Turner dealer! The key: Precise machining, spiral cut grooves for grease injection and rubber o-rings at the outside of the bushing. Grease injectors work too but the design is so tight I haven't really needed them yet.

I ride technical DH too and this bike is perfectly balanced. If you have to have 1 bike this could be the one..it does it all and can accept many variations in suspension components. If you want to do an ultra distance race one week and then head over to A-Line or some stunt riding the next day..this bike will not limit you.

Favorite Trail:   juniper ridge epic, randle, wa

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   FTF

Similar Products Used:   fsr's, sc, kona, rocky, yeti, giant

Bike Setup:   Z1 FR, xtr, sram rear, avid juicy, thompson, high rise bar/stem, shimano dh clipless pedals

Submitted by Lou from Freehold,NJ

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2004

Strengths:    great all around bike. I am plus 240lbs. Balance on bike is incredible. Turner customer service is great. They sent me great new sticker for the bike. What more can you say. Just a great bike

Bottom Line:
Just a do everything bike. Great for clydesdales. Bike inspires confidence and makes a better rider out of you.

Similar Products Used:   giant, intense, Santa cruz

Bike Setup:   full xtr, Chris King wheelset. z-1SL zoke, hayes,race face crank

Submitted by Bill a Weekend Warrior from Saybrook, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2004

Strengths:    Perfect handling and great solid feel off drops.

Weaknesses:    (3 weeks late) Can't trust Turner to ship when they say, but that is not a product weakness really. It was a year ago and seems less important now anyway.

Bottom Line:
Free ride, jumps, and log piles are great on this bike. The technical stuff is so much fun on the Turner. It goes up hills and on xc coarses too, but not race pace. With big rims, tubes and tires, skinnies and balancy stuff are nothing for the Turner. This thing has the feel of regaining control even when things go a miss. It took me a while to find the fork that felt right for my style, but once I did, it became my favorite of 6 mountain bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim, Moab, UT

Purchased At:   Over the Edge Sports, Fruita, CO

Similar Products Used:   Kona Bear DeeLux (also wonderful for plush big guy xc with a liking for the wild side)

Bike Setup:   19" 5-Spot Turner Frame
Marzocchi Z-150 FR fork (after trying the Manitou Sherman Flick and the Fox Talas 125 RLC)
750x2.25 spring on the Romic (I'm 6'1" 250lbs)
Sun Double Wides, King Hubs (ss freehub body) and King Steelset Headset, Tioga DH 2.3 ties. (true 2.3 not that crap some others have where you have to buy 2.5 to get one that measures 2.3) Thomson seatpost and stem, Easton EA70 bars and ODI lockon grips. Avid Mech 185 rear 203mm up front with the Avid Ultimate Levers. XT deraileurs, dura-ace chain, Sram cassette(fits on the stainless steel king freehub body better than xt).

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from So Cal

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2004

Strengths:    geometry, durability, quality of build, plush riding, climbs very well, 4 bar Horst link rear, an unbelieveably balanced trail/all mountain bike!

Weaknesses:    None. Really, I have found no weaknesses in this bike.

Bottom Line:
All I can say is that this bike ROCKS!

Ascending: My 5 spot climbs better than my FSR did, hands down. It's about 4-5 lbs heavier, but I really don't notice it all that much. The rear tire sticks like glue, even when I start hammering out of the saddle. I am very impressed with it's overall climbing ability. I get virtually no bob from the Romic.

Descending: No question, the bike makes me a much better rider. The 5" of travel is awesome. It feels like so much more travel than it actually is. I used to go around tricky parts, now I just go right over them. Sometimes I have to remember that I have 2 kids and a wife at home so I have be careful, but the bike just wants to go.

General: The balance of this bike is unbelievable. It's like this thing was custom made for me. The BB is not too high so you feel much more stable and in control. Great center of gravity. The 69 degree head angle makes for a little slower response than did my FSR, but I just compensated a little by putting on a shorter stem. This bike is really built well. I am about 200# and I don't worry at all about breaking anything. It is really one solid bike!

Summary: If you're thinking about a trail/all mountain bike, this is just what you should be looking at. If your LBS doesn't have a built 5 spot that you can ride, find a friend, or anyone for that matter, that has a spot and ask them to try it out. Turner owners are some of the friendliest people I have run across and I'm sure they'd let you take a spin on their bike. You will be impressed.

I'm giving it 5 for value - you get what you pay for!
And 5 for overall - I would rate it higher if I could.

Favorite Trail:   any/all singletrack

Similar Products Used:   EW ID (demoed), Specialized FSR XC (former ride)

Bike Setup:   SRAM X.9 RD, SRAM X.9 triggers, SRAM cassette, SRAM chain (you see a trend here?), XTR FD (until the SRAM is released), FSA carbon riser bars, Hayes hydro discs, WTB laserdisc lite rims on WTB laserdisc hubs, WTB Pure saddle, FSA headset, FSA seatpost, FSA carbon pro cranks, Romic shock, Psylo SL fork, Eggbeaters = ~30 lbs.

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from CdA, ID

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2004

Strengths:    Beefy frame, 5" plush active travel, not everyone has one, MADE IN USA!

Weaknesses:    Performance-wise, none.

Bottom Line:
This is a followup almost one year after purchasing the bike. I bought the frame from Jenson and all the components from Vertical Earth in CdA. I took the stickers off the bike because they were peeling. I flat out love this bike. For a heavier trail rider I don't think this bike can be beat. No complaints, as it does what it was made to do. Thank you Turner!

Favorite Trail:   dirt

Purchased At:   Vertical Earth

Similar Products Used:   a few Kona 4 bars

Bike Setup:   2003 frame, vanilla 125, race face, speed dream wheels (king/velocity), wtb epic wolf 2.1, sram xo, thomson post = 30 lbs

Submitted by Mark Elfstrom a Cross Country Rider from Anchorage Alaska

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2004

Strengths:    If you have the legs, it will climb stairs, icy hills, steep technical rooty terrain, granular hills, and anything else you would ever want to ride up. The bike feels as if it has a motor when going downhill soaking up every root, rock, and hazard never missing a beat and keeping you on step down anything. Most of my riding was done this winter, and with a pair of studs on this bike, you can do anything you would in the summer.

Weaknesses:    None. It's expensive, but you get what you pay for. It's not just another chunk of aluminum thrown off of an assembly line.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up review from a review I wrote a month after I had the bike. I was stoked about the bike the day I bought it, and still just as happy about it now. I used to look at the Chugach Mountains to find lines to ski, now I look for lines to bike up and down. I highly reccommend this bike to anyone who will ride it like it was meant to be rode. Aggressively everywhere.

Favorite Trail:   Dome Trail

Purchased At:   RTR Bikes-Anchorage

Similar Products Used:   Other bikes, never as cool as this one

Bike Setup:   Same as before

Submitted by Travis Zettel a Weekend Warrior from Bellevue, Washginton

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2004

Strengths:    Solid quality with flawless welds. Climbs almost as well as it decends. It has been said that a bike does not make the rider. That may be true, but this bike definetely makes me a better rider. It is the most forgiving bike that I have ever ridden.

Weaknesses:    Stickers

Bottom Line:
I owned a Cannondale Jekyl 1000 and then decided to buy a Blur after testing riding it. Before I laid my cash down, my buddy advised me to check out the 5-spot and I am glad I did. This is possibly the smoothest most forgiving bike out there. Test ride one and see for yourself.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Blur, Specialized FSR, Jekyl 1000, Giant VT1

Bike Setup:   XT drivetrain, Crossmax XL's, Hope mini disc, Talas Fork, Romic shock with ti 550# spring, Maxxis 2.1 (62a) highrollers 2.1 with Stan's, Candy Ti pedals = an actual 26.5 lbs

Submitted by Rico from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2004

Strengths:    Does everything great, predictable handling, Turner quality

Weaknesses:    Stickers

Bottom Line:
This bike really blew me away. I had a 3" Turner 02 and was a little hesitant on the way it might pedal w/2 more inches and the slacker head angle. The stuff I ride is very rocky, lots of drops and pretty tight. Bottom line is that it does everything better than my 02 and I left the fork @ full travel. It climbs like a billy goat, descends like monkey w/his tail on fire and pedals better than my 02. It eats up rock gardens and has very neutral handling. I have never had so much fun on a bike before. 2 guys outside of Hammerheadbikes.com have ridden it and both now own a 5 Spot.... Check out Hammerheadbikes.com, nothing but quality.

Purchased At:   Hammerheadbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Turner 02, Titus Swithblade & Racer-X

Bike Setup:   King, Thompson, XTR/XT/Raceface drivetrain, Talas RLC, 959s, 2.4 Kenda Cortez, Fox Air AVA rear shock ect... durable stuff thats not too heavy

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Oregon

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2004

Strengths:    Its a turner, five inches of coil sprung plushness front and back, well balanced, plenty of standover, etc

Weaknesses:    flimsy stickers. pretty expensive when you think about it.

Bottom Line:
was flying down this steep trail, stopped to change directions and was able to trackstand on this slope while i made up my mind which way i wanted to go. unreal. i like the durability of the coil, no need to worry about air presure just set and ride. i have 2.1 swampthings on there now and am pretty sure 2.5's would fit just fine, no worries about mud clearance. i keep coming back to this, no worries when you ride this bike, it does what it does so well your mind is free to concentrate on where your going. the bike works in harmony with your mind. keep those stickers coming.

Purchased At:   123bikes.com

Similar Products Used:   heckler, test rode lots of bikes

Bike Setup:   race face, chris king, shimano, mavic, maxis, avid, fox, romic

Submitted by scott silvers a Cross Country Rider from plymouth, Michigan

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2004

Strengths:    frame made with an artist's touch and thought

Weaknesses:    I thought a 69 deg head angle bike would steer slower, but it's quick.....and what's up with the upside-down shock. I flipped mine right side up right off the bat....

Bottom Line:
I really liked my 1999 Turner Burner, I just wanted "MORE". I checked out a lot of really nice top bikes just to see if I was missing out on anything, but ultimately went back to what really works. This bike delivers way beyond my expectations. My medium burner was a bit too quick handling, and I was kinda concerned that the spot would be to sluggish w/ the 69 deg. head, but it is just as whippy thru the trees as my old turner, but it has a noticeable increase in stability. I dont know how they did this, but I marvel at it's handling. You really notice how "in" you feel on the bike once it leaves the ground over jumps/drops...total confidence.

Sure, it's a bit heavier than my ol burner, but I built it up kinda burly anyway, so I guess I better just suck it up, cuz I am the weak link now, not the bike. Also, throw some nokian 296's on this bike and watch it walk away from all your buddies on their wussy cross country bikes in the snow! A great bike for snow riding. Year round fun for sure....

Lastly, I can't believe how nice the '04 Z-1 FR rides, a truly amazing fork....

My credit card is finally maxed out, but I dont care....drool drool....

Favorite Trail:   potowatomi

Purchased At:   123bikes

Similar Products Used:   1999 Turner Burner, AMP B-3, tried out a blur, intense spyder xvp, and ellsworth joker, amongst others

Bike Setup:   Large frame, 04 Marzocchi z-1 FR, RF BB & North Shore cranks, Romic shock, Tioga Platforms, king headset and hubs/mavic 3.1/tubed michelin hot-s, thompson stem/seatpost, xt 4-pot hydros, xt pod shifters, xt der's, and lots of other stuff...

Submitted by Tim a Weekend Warrior from Marin

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2004

Strengths:    Perfect geometry, solid construction, classy and understated appearance, excellent ride characteristics, particularly for steep, technical terrain

Bottom Line:
I originally ordered a 5 Spot in January '03, but after a long, frustrating wait I bought an Id (with the exact same components now on the 5 Spot). Very nice ride, but the too high BB and too steep head angle were detriments in steep terrain. Hard to remount the bike on steep climbs, pitched too far forward on steep descents. Julia at Gravy Wheels, where I had ordered the Turner earlier, contacted Dave Turner, who remembered my situation and helped me get on a new 5 Spot. I can now ride up and down the stuff I was having trouble on before. The bike is smooth and just perfectly balanced. As one of the magazine reviews said, the rider sits IN the bike, instead of OVER it. This makes all the difference in the world on fast, rough, and/or steep descents! The Talas fork has broken in and rides unbelievably well, and the travel adjustment lets me dial in the right angles for climbs and descents. It is a great fit for this frame.
My 5 Spot is silver, and came with very classy and understated (i.e. low contrast) gray lettering--the nicest looking Turner I've seen yet.
Needless to say, I love this bike, and it is stretching my limits as a rider. The Id was a beautiful, quality bike (and a very good climber) but the 5 Spot is designed for more aggressive, technical riding. And it delivers! Special thanks to Dave and Julia for helping me out--I am a customer for life!

Favorite Trail:   Pine Mountain