Trek Slash All Mountain Full Suspension

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

2,000 meter descents. Epic mountain views. Megavalanche enduros. You want a bike that can handle it all, and still pedal to the top. Rider, meet Slash.

Submitted by jake

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2013

Strengths:    climbs very easy. goes fast downhill. good spec.

Bottom Line:
i have not bought this bike (yet). took one out for a trek demo day at mt stromlo (canberra, oz) last weekend. lovely ride. climbs awesome. i was passing hardtails on the way up, and the tracks were pretty busy. hit the downhill A lines on the way down. couldnt believe what it could handle.
gonna start saving.

Submitted by Chris

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2013

Strengths:    Climbing, descending, adjustability, ergonomics and geometry

Weaknesses:    Parts spec could be lowered in some areas to improve value

Bottom Line:
A bike that can do just about everything and do it well. Such adjustability in the fork and rear shock can turn it from a DH to an XC, even the geometry of the frame can be changed with the "Mino Link". Most adjustment can be done on the fly so it eats rock gardens and jumps for breakfast then climbs back up for brunch. Feels great.

Favorite Trail:   Lancaster / Kalamunda circuit

Duration Product Used:   1 week

Similar Products Used:   Giant AC, Specialized Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by joshman108

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2012

Strengths:    Adjustable fork, 160-120, makes it a perfect trail bike. I thoroughly enjoyed that feature.
Adjustable BB. I forgot to test it myself on my demo, but I've heard its an amazing feature.
Wider bars than the remedy, sick color scheme.
Other than that, pretty standard strengths from a bike on this level. Good components (except for xo brakes) good wheels, superb tire choice, reverb comes standard etc.

Weaknesses:    First, the brakes.
I have used avids on my last 3 bikes and have had nothing but problems. I was hoping a new pair of xo's would be different. They werent. They squeaked every time I used them, and despite the fact that the rotors were quite large (200 i believe) they had less stopping power than a lower-tiered brake. I have read reviews on these brakes and apparently this is common. On the other side of the fence, even a cheap slx brake delivers consistent, stop-on-a-dime performance. Trek and sram missed the boat on this one.

Slightly pricey, but who am I kidding. You can already pick a 9 up used for just north of 2k if you look hard.

Bottom Line:
Let me begin by saying that I have not tested any other bikes in this 160mm, 32 lb am category, but have tested a decent number of bikes in general.
My take-away was this. Like many trek bikes, I felt instantly at home. The slack geometry, which I had never ridden before, made me feel like I was nestled snugly in god's pocket. It felt great. I prefer that to a super steep, twitchy head angle.

The cornering was great. For the first time, I was confident in losing control in the corners because the bike magically righted itself every time. It was really cool. I was also able to make my first ever clockwise (aka, my weak side) power slide with clips, because the tires delivered such control that I didn't have to worry about putting my foot down.

The descending was about what I expected. Amazing, although I'm sure many other am bikes can deliver the same. I was able to descend a steep hill fast enough that I actually got nauseous.

The climbing was what really impressed me. Personally, I am in no hurry to get up a hill, and you definitely won't climb fast on the slash, but it was still very impressive.

Pedaling flat out was more annoying that I thought it would be, like there is always a slight force holding you back (that would be the 32 lbs.) But after my 2 hour test, I realized I liked it better than way. I have owned 22lb bikes, 32lb bikes and everything in between. While it is fun powering flat out on a super light, you don't get the sense of reward. When I pedaled the slash to the top of a hill, I felt like I earned it. Anyone can make it up on a light bike, but it takes a more hardened resolve to accomplish it on a heavy bike. That sense of satisfaction was something I have been missing ever since I threw away my first clunker. After my ride, my legs felt that "buzz" I had been missing for so long. It was a slower (uphill and flat out), but a more rewarding and enjoyable ride.

Here is a comparison to the remedy, which I was about to buy. They seem like similar bikes on paper, but in reality are worlds apart.

Climbing.
Remedy: 7 (Fairly good, even compared to a hardtail)
Slash: 4 (Very very good considering what it is, but worlds away from a rigid or ht)
After riding the slash, the remedy felt like a turbo-fueled chainsaw on speed.

Drops.
Remedy: 7 (A few steps above the fuel, but worlds away from the slash)
Slash: 9.5 (Confidence instilling. Could only be better with a full out 200mm fork)
I hit all the same drops on both bikes (nothing over 3 ft) but the remedy always scared me a little bit, whereas the slash was a beast.

Descending
Remedy: 7 (It's alright. I definitely bombed hills with it, but I was always a little nervous something was going to happen)
Slash: 10. (This is where it shines. The wide bars, capable tires, slack head angle, drcv, and that mystical quality I couldn't put my finger on, allowed me to rip downhill with no qualms or reservations. If I picked a bad line or slammed the edge of a baseball sized rock, it didn't even notice)
The remedy is good at descending for what it is (a modified xc bike) but the slash is just good at descending period. I imagine a full DH bike could be better, but not by a whole lot. I've heard of guys giving up their DH rigs just for the slash because it was so good downhill and pretty darn good uphill. I believe it. Also, I was surprised when I pushed down on the front of the remedy vs slash. Although the travel is almost the same, the remedy felt very stiff, wheras the slash gave instantly, even though they were both pumped up the same. The talas is obviously made for downhill, and float for uphill.

I can't compare the slash to it's am brethren because I havn't tested them, but it felt sublime. Ripped down, cornered epicly, climbed better than I expected, and was a blast. I thought the remedy delivered what I was looking for, a bike that could rip downhill and still pedal. Wrong. It ripped uphill and only made you believe it could descend. The slash showed me what descents can really be, and that you don't have to give up an overall good ride to enjoy it.

Submitted by Unlearn a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2012

Strengths:    Climbs AMAZINGLY for type of bike. 33 lbs. (15.5" frame). Great component group. Forgives all my stupid riding mistakes. Available 5 yr. extended warranty.

Weaknesses:    $5K and no pedals???, stock tires are garbage, stand over height is retardedly high, chain guide/bash guard.

Bottom Line:
Frame - Mono link adjuster is a nice option. For me it wasn't just the steering angle, but the fact that I can lift the BB 10 mm is cool. Relatively light for a DH / AM rig (33 lbs). Accommodates a Rock Shox Stealth seatpost. Creaks like no other but that is more my LBS fault than anything. Comes with a downtube protecter (that isn't crap!) and a wicked nice chainstay protector. Stand over is high, I am 5'5" and I cannot stand flat on both feet with the fork set at 160. If they had a smaller model I would have gotten that... HOWEVER, when riding, the size feels just fine, and that where really matters. 142x15 rear hub, plus you can get an adapter for the 135 hubs. OMG this bike can CLIMB. Seriously, climbs as well as my '02 Santa Cruz Blur XC. People behind me have commented on the lack of bob in the linkage and ask if I have a lock out... it does have the Pro Pedal but I almost never use it.

Suspension - Awesome... and if it is not awesome enough for you, the next model up has the Kashima coating on the front and rear. The DRCV works amazing when blazing downhill (I used to be really good at finding quick smooth lines in the decents... now I just Point and Shoot) but will take a TON of getting used to for jumps (if you hit the same jump at slightly diffferent speeds or preloads, the bike can behave in a number of different ways depending on if the DRCV valve opens or not). Like anything else, at first it was frustrating but then I got used to it. The fork is Talas so it can be adjusted to 120 or 160. Not sure if I would have rather had the adjustability of the Float, but I can say that I like the feel of my current setup and I do switch between between travel settings.

Components - X0, X9, X7. All good stuff but I would be fine with even lower grade to help save a few bucks. Reverb stealth is nice but they should have put the longer travel model one this bike. Also, the seatpost "lever" is actually a long travel button that is hard to push when hammering on the bike. This would have been much better if Rockshox made it more like the shifter lever. Probably wouldn't hurt if it could be flip flopped to the left/right/over bar/under bar either. The matchmaker stuff is trick but I find it doesn't work for my tiny hands. Most of the Bontrager gear (bars, stem wheels, grips etc) is pretty good for stock. The chain guide/bash guard is TERRIBLE. I don't think anyone test rode this option, if they did, they never would have equipped it. The guide can be adjusted but at any setting the chain can come off and actually jam the chain preventing it from threading on the chainwheel. DUMB DUMB DUMB design. A simple four bolt bash ring would have been cheaper and better, while allowing a variety of tentioner options. Instead, I am stuck with the combo which comes up short on both fronts.

Brakes - Elixer 9 - I have always been partial to BB7's because I work on my own stuff and I have a pretty strong grip from riding Trials.. but these are nice. I never notice my hands getting tired, and I stop when and where I want to.

Tires - Might as well put on slicks set at 60 psi coated in WD-40. Nice try Trek but... no

Wheel - not bad, not great. not heavy, but not light. Meh.

Overall - I love this bike and have no buyer's remorse. I can ride XC on it and not feel too inefficient, big hits feel real small :). Rubbing on a magic lamp I would wish for... 14.5" frame, BB7's with 203 rotors, a decent set of platform pedals, longer travel seatpost, four bolt bash guard and e13 guide, x5/x7 drivetrain, Kashima coating.

I ordered this bike expecting certain options to be included (according to the website). I later found out that this model year did not include said options (the website was just not updated). One email to Trek and they made good on it. Fan for life! Also, I opted for the 5 year extended warranty, time will tell if it was worth the 350 bucks.

Favorite Trail:   not telling you :)

Purchased At:   Support your LBS!!!!

Similar Products Used:   Blur XC, K2 Razorback, DBR XR-7, Rumblefish, SC Superlight, Gian Reign, Giant NRS, Rocky Mountain ETS, And a bunch of others.

Bike Setup:   Bone stock save for the tires. Maxxis advantage 2.4

trek slash brake question

Ok I'm not a fan of this avid exlir5's What would the parts list I need be to swap out to some Shimano XT's or SLX?Read More »

Lets see your Slash

All the other models have one, why not the beastly Slash! 2014 Slash 7 [ATTACH=CONFIG]928509[/ATTACH]Read More »

Trek slash 650b question

How does this bike climb? I keep getting talked into remedy or fuel, but like the pike better then fox. I keep getting told I will hate trail rides due to the amount of travel. Is it a lot worse on regular single tracks?Read More »

Trek Slash 2015

Can't wait. the official ship date is September 8 and i'm going to order it soon! i'm getting a Slash 7, and there will be pictures when it arrives, is anyone getting a slash 8 or 9 or 9.9? any tweaks anyone is going to make?Read More »

Am I crazy to contemplate a Slash 26" as an everyday bike?

I changed my bikes last year and jumped on the 29er bandwagon - I bought a Fuel Ex 29er and got a Superfly 6 as a replacement for my crashed CX bike. I immediately liked the increased rollover and speed of the 29ers, but a year later, I can't shake the feeling that I am 'missing out' on something. ... Read More »