Trek Slash 8 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

2,000 meter descents. Epic mountain views. Megavalanche enduros. You want a bike that can handle it all, and still pedal to the top. Rider, meet Slash.

• DRCV rear shock w/3-position ProPedal
  • Fox 36 Talas fork w/160mm travel
  • Avid Elixir 9 brakes
  • Bontrager Rhythm Comp wheelset w/20QR & 142x12
  • RockShox Reverb Stealth seatpost

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by jake

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2013

Strengths:    climbs very easy. goes fast downhill. good spec.

Bottom Line:
    i have not bought this bike (yet). took one out for a trek demo day at mt stromlo (canberra, oz) last weekend. lovely ride. climbs awesome. i was passing hardtails on the way up, and the tracks were pretty busy. hit the downhill A lines on the way down. couldnt believe what it could handle.
    gonna start saving.

Submitted by Chris

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2013

Strengths:    Climbing, descending, adjustability, ergonomics and geometry

Weaknesses:    Parts spec could be lowered in some areas to improve value

Bottom Line:
    A bike that can do just about everything and do it well. Such adjustability in the fork and rear shock can turn it from a DH to an XC, even the geometry of the frame can be changed with the "Mino Link". Most adjustment can be done on the fly so it eats rock gardens and jumps for breakfast then climbs back up for brunch. Feels great.

Favorite Trail:   Lancaster / Kalamunda circuit

Duration Product Used:   1 week

Similar Products Used:   Giant AC, Specialized Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Unlearn a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2012

Strengths:    Climbs AMAZINGLY for type of bike. 33 lbs. (15.5" frame). Great component group. Forgives all my stupid riding mistakes. Available 5 yr. extended warranty.

Weaknesses:    $5K and no pedals???, stock tires are garbage, stand over height is retardedly high, chain guide/bash guard.

Bottom Line:
    Frame - Mono link adjuster is a nice option. For me it wasn't just the steering angle, but the fact that I can lift the BB 10 mm is cool. Relatively light for a DH / AM rig (33 lbs). Accommodates a Rock Shox Stealth seatpost. Creaks like no other but that is more my LBS fault than anything. Comes with a downtube protecter (that isn't crap!) and a wicked nice chainstay protector. Stand over is high, I am 5'5" and I cannot stand flat on both feet with the fork set at 160. If they had a smaller model I would have gotten that... HOWEVER, when riding, the size feels just fine, and that where really matters. 142x15 rear hub, plus you can get an adapter for the 135 hubs. OMG this bike can CLIMB. Seriously, climbs as well as my '02 Santa Cruz Blur XC. People behind me have commented on the lack of bob in the linkage and ask if I have a lock out... it does have the Pro Pedal but I almost never use it.

Suspension - Awesome... and if it is not awesome enough for you, the next model up has the Kashima coating on the front and rear. The DRCV works amazing when blazing downhill (I used to be really good at finding quick smooth lines in the decents... now I just Point and Shoot) but will take a TON of getting used to for jumps (if you hit the same jump at slightly diffferent speeds or preloads, the bike can behave in a number of different ways depending on if the DRCV valve opens or not). Like anything else, at first it was frustrating but then I got used to it. The fork is Talas so it can be adjusted to 120 or 160. Not sure if I would have rather had the adjustability of the Float, but I can say that I like the feel of my current setup and I do switch between between travel settings.

Components - X0, X9, X7. All good stuff but I would be fine with even lower grade to help save a few bucks. Reverb stealth is nice but they should have put the longer travel model one this bike. Also, the seatpost "lever" is actually a long travel button that is hard to push when hammering on the bike. This would have been much better if Rockshox made it more like the shifter lever. Probably wouldn't hurt if it could be flip flopped to the left/right/over bar/under bar either. The matchmaker stuff is trick but I find it doesn't work for my tiny hands. Most of the Bontrager gear (bars, stem wheels, grips etc) is pretty good for stock. The chain guide/bash guard is TERRIBLE. I don't think anyone test rode this option, if they did, they never would have equipped it. The guide can be adjusted but at any setting the chain can come off and actually jam the chain preventing it from threading on the chainwheel. DUMB DUMB DUMB design. A simple four bolt bash ring would have been cheaper and better, while allowing a variety of tentioner options. Instead, I am stuck with the combo which comes up short on both fronts.

Brakes - Elixer 9 - I have always been partial to BB7's because I work on my own stuff and I have a pretty strong grip from riding Trials.. but these are nice. I never notice my hands getting tired, and I stop when and where I want to.

Tires - Might as well put on slicks set at 60 psi coated in WD-40. Nice try Trek but... no

Wheel - not bad, not great. not heavy, but not light. Meh.

Overall - I love this bike and have no buyer's remorse. I can ride XC on it and not feel too inefficient, big hits feel real small :). Rubbing on a magic lamp I would wish for... 14.5" frame, BB7's with 203 rotors, a decent set of platform pedals, longer travel seatpost, four bolt bash guard and e13 guide, x5/x7 drivetrain, Kashima coating.

I ordered this bike expecting certain options to be included (according to the website). I later found out that this model year did not include said options (the website was just not updated). One email to Trek and they made good on it. Fan for life! Also, I opted for the 5 year extended warranty, time will tell if it was worth the 350 bucks.

Favorite Trail:   not telling you :)

Purchased At:   Support your LBS!!!!

Similar Products Used:   Blur XC, K2 Razorback, DBR XR-7, Rumblefish, SC Superlight, Gian Reign, Giant NRS, Rocky Mountain ETS, And a bunch of others.

Bike Setup:   Bone stock save for the tires. Maxxis advantage 2.4

Trek Slash 8 or Giant Reign X0

What do you guys/gals think? I am an aggressive rider that is looking for a bike that can climb with decent efficiency and freaking shred the DH haha. Happy posting! :DRead More »

Annoying movement from rear hub on a Duster Rim (Slash 8)

Got a Slash 8 which rocks, apart from the rear hub on the stock Duster rim. No matter how I tighten the end nuts on the hub I consistantly get a slight play on the hub after the wheel was properly secured and tightened with the 12mm skewer. I don't want to over tighten the wheel or else it doesn't s ... Read More »

Trek slash 8

finally picked up my new 2012 TREK slash 8..love this bike rides like my buddies older remedy.. [IMG]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff103/cg404/photo-12.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff103/cg404/photo-13.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff103/cg404/photo-1 ... Read More »

Trek Slash 8 -- tell me more pls

I have a 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite, and has served me well. Recently went to a Trek demo at my favourite local trail. Test rode the Trek Slash 8 and was totally blown away. Tons of fun. Suspension was buttery smooth, pedaling efficiency up hills was excellent (given the bike's heft), an ... Read More »

Trek Slash 8 -- tell me more pls

I have a 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite, and has served me well. Recently went to a Trek demo at my favourite local trail. Test rode the [U]Trek Slash 8[/U] and was totally blown away. Tons of fun. Suspension was buttery smooth, pedaling efficiency up hills was excellent (given the bike's he ... Read More »