Trek Remedy All Mountain Full Suspension

• Manitou Swinger 3-way
  • Shimano Deore

Submitted by Ben a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2014

Strengths:    Climbs well, handles XC and light freeride trails great.

Weaknesses:    It's a bit fragile if you plan to progress into downhill and freeride. Has a lot of standover height. You have to really pull hard on the brakes to stop on steep trails.

Bottom Line:
It all depends on what you bought this bike for. If you enjoy aggressive XC and all-mountain riding you'll thoroughly enjoy this bike. However, don't expect to be able to ride downhill, freeride, or at a bike park. This bike can get you through some gnarly trails, but that is definitely not it's strength.

Purchased At:   Pinkbike

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Revelation, NS terra bars, truvativ holzfeller stem

Submitted by Jack a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2013

Strengths:    Smooth ride, parts aren't hard to find, came with a decent air fork, really good shock, plenty of travel, strong brakes, doesn't weigh a ton.

Weaknesses:    Need to get a shorter water bottle (although I usually ride with a Camelbak anyway), rebound went on shock (probably my fault), no lockout on shock, saddle is painful on long rides, feels sketchy on big rollovers.

Bottom Line:
Good bike to ride aggressive XC and do some drops, one of these in decent condition shouldn't run more than a grand. Just replace the saddle and you're good to go!

Favorite Trail:   The Star Wars trails at Sunday River

Duration Product Used:   About a year

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel 98, Trek Fuel EX 8

Bike Setup:   RockShox Tora 302 fork, Jacksh!t pedals, everything else stock.

Submitted by Jean-Guy the Canadian Bushwhacker! a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2013

Strengths:    Agile, Decent Weight, Components, Plush Suspension

Weaknesses:    Sketchy Front End on Steep Climbs

Bottom Line:
I bought the 2013 Remedy 9.8 at the end of the season. Noticeable difference over previous reviewers in terms of spec: Full XT Groupset, RockShox Reverb Dropper, Bontrager XR3 Tires.

I did a ton of research before finally settling on this bike despite not having tested it as a demo model was not available. Instead, I tested the Fuel EX9 which has identical geometry to the Remedy but much less travel. You'll notice in the field below the bikes I tested. This bike has surpassed my expectations and with winter hitting Canada, I'm already dreaming of the next riding season. I went with this bike over the Fuel EX because the sales guy made a point, the fuel will always ride like a 120mm travel bike, whereas with the Remedy, you can ride it as a 150mm bike, or set it up to ride like a 120mm bike. I have to tell all of you that I got the amazing price listed below because I bought it on clearance in September - MSRP on this thing is $5400 otherwise.

In terms of ride quality, this is an extremely plush set-up in terms of absorbing hits. Compared to the Norco Sight, this bike soaks everything up and the Active Braking Pivot (ABP) is extremely noticeable and definitely improves the ride. I have my for and shock set to Trail and have only on 2 occasions use the Climb setting on extended (4km) fire road climbs. This bike's pedaling platform is extremely efficient on climbs - I have cleared section of trail on this bike that I was never able to clear on my hardtail. The only downside to climbing on this bike is the steering can get sketchy on steep climbs - you'll have to move up on the saddle to ensure the front wheel can bite enough to steer.

For downhill and all other situations, this bike is super responsive and flickable as it is a 26er. The Sight is impressive also with its tweener size but I personally prefer this bikes handling. At 28.8lbs with XT pedals for 18.5" frame, it's definitely not the Superfly 100, but the tradeoff is a bike that can handle anything you throw at it. This bike will likely be too much bike if all you ride is x-country type trails. To take full advantage you have to ride technical singletrack with downhills that would scare hardtail riders.

I would definitely recommend this bike to anyone - especially if you pick it up at the end of the season on clearance!!

Favorite Trail:   Mont Ste-Anne, QC

Similar Products Used:   Trek Superfly 100 SL, Norco Sight B-1, Trek Fuel EX9, Cannondale Scalpel

Bike Setup:   Stock, Tubeless

Submitted by Diegobustillos a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2013

Strengths:    Comfortable cockpit. Lively feel.

Weaknesses:    Small bum compliance. Turning.

Bottom Line:
This is a great overall bike. I think it does not excel anywhere, however. The bike has a tendency to drift on turns. The rear suspension is lively and it is easy to pop off of roots and rocks. On gnarly terrain the bike get hung up easily and looses it composure. Jumping the bike is relatively easy. Climbing position is extremely comfortable and is a great climber overall. Not as goos as some other suspension systems but better than most horst links in my opinion. T

Similar Products Used:   Turner 5 Spot. Specialized Enduro Evo. Pivot Firebird. Ellsworth Epiphany.

Bike Setup:   Sun Ringle Wheels. Xtr Grupo. Marzochi 55 fork.

Submitted by greenblur

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2013

Strengths:    Excellent suspension design with the full-floater, APB and Fox DCRV shock (mine is pre-CTD). It works exactly as advertised, zero brake jack and super plush. Very nimble and playful; it really likes to wheelie, pump and jump around the trail. It can also just plow through chunk, if that's your riding style.
Bontrager seat and cockpit is surprisingly good quality.

Weaknesses:    Elixer 3 brakes = worst brakes ever. Swapped them before my first ride.
Bonty/Deore wheels were OK. I really liked the Bonty rim strip for tubeless setup. On the other hand, the Deore hub was toast in less than 60 days. They are no longer on the bike.
The 7 model comes with the QR rear axle vs 12x142 and its about $120 to buy the upgrade parts.
Deore shifters are serviceable but not noteworthy.
Suspension bobs a bit more than a DW/Maestro/VPP bike
Trek killed the 26" version in exchange for a 27.5"

Bottom Line:
I bought my bike used for super cheap, knowing that the brakes and wheels were likely junk. If I were to buy new, I would probably opt for the Remedy 8 to get better starting parts.

I absolutely love the way this bike rolls down the trail. No way to describe it other than FUN!

Submitted by Serf a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2013

Strengths:    A great Rig at a great price!! Trek and Red Shield!!!! Jaxs Bike Shops!

Weaknesses:    Cosmetic Warranty?????????

Bottom Line:
This will be my 2nd review for my 2011 Remedy 8. Before this bike I had a love affair with Kona's. 1st was a Coiler and 2nd a Coilair. Very durable dependable rigs but man oh man heavy (dont think I could break a Chainstay thou). When I got my Remedy I was in love with riding all over again. I even had a 3rd chainring!!!!! From Southern CA to St George Utah and many places between we have covered many miles in da dirt. April 30, 2013 after the Rwanda ride we took a spin in Aliso Woods. Up Cholla and Down LYNX. I am not a bomber I do not huck I just like to get out and ride. We finished up with a sprint out Coyote when I noticed my rear felt soft on my last climb before the fire road. Well it was! At the last water crossing at the entrance to Dripping Cave I lifted my front tire and BROKE not Cracked, Both Chain Stays. Waz so Sad. John at Jaxs in Laguna Niguel was on it. After talking to Trek and figuring out Frame Warranty 2 yr (COSMETIC Warranty 1 yr) I now have a 2012 Remedy 8 black Frame, Black chain Stays that are not the same finish as the frame and my 2011 Seat Stays (not black). I am just glad I will be riding again within a 2 week time period biek is ready for pick up 5/14/2013. Thanks Jaxs and Trek for standing behind ur products, I have heard horror stories with Warranty Frames. As for the looks hell with it get out and Ride!!!!

Submitted by George Mercado

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2013

Strengths:    Climbing, control, manueverbility,braking,weight...

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Thing climbs like a billygoat on steroids. handling is great. I have the 18.5 and its perfect for everything I do. whether it be uphill or downhill. I have the 2012 fuel ex8 and was happy but the remedy is the adrenaline rush I wanted....thenx TREK

Submitted by John Alderson a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2013

Strengths:    Trek Warranty!!! Cracked my first one in two weeks which was a 9.8 and Trek sent me a 9.9!!! Couldn't believe it! Climbs Great! Descends very well and the addition of the dropper post will make you fly faster downhill with on the fly adjustments. Solid bike and it will put a smile on your face from ear to ear!

Weaknesses:    None really to speak of, this bike is solid as a rock. Even after 2 years very quiet no creaks frame wise. If I were to get picky about it maybe the paint could have been better on the 9.9 Don't get me wrong it is a beautiful paint job but the clear coat was noticeably light in one area.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2011 Remedy 9.9. I bought this bike because I was tired of cracking frames and being stuck having to cough up cash for a new frame every 2-3 years. I just received it and I was on a epic bike trip starting in AZ to CO and half way threw in Moab is where the rear triangle gave out. I was just getting ready to hit the downhill at Porcupine Rim and I heard this crunch. I thought it was the chain at first but then after further inspection the carbon was cracked in several places. Bummer!!! Defective Frame. Trek hooked me up though with the 9.9 no questions asked!!!! :) I had rented a IBIS Mojo to hold me over for the rest of the trip.

This bike just ROCKS! I hit stuff that I never did before! Very confident descender on downhill drop the post and you can just warp speed it! It handles big hits pretty good too. Climbs extremely well too like lesser travel bikes. I did change out the bars and stem because on steep stuff it felt a little sketchy. I do wish it came with 160 mm travel on the front for out west trails. The rear travel seems bottomless and handles 4-5 foot drops good and jumps well. That's about my current limit! Here in NC 150 MM travel is fine. On tight twisty trails this bike carves it up like a race bike. Just amazing the trail versatility and go anywhere ability of this bike! You will love this bike!

I am glad Trek did address head tube steepness on the 2012 and newer frames with the new adjustable link which gives you 5 degrees more. May need to upgrade!

The 2.35 Bontis XR4 tires bog it down a bit but provide great grip. With 2.1's it's a lot snappier. I swap tires and seat posts quite a bit depending where I ride. It tipped the scale at 26.5 lbs with 2.1 on the rims and no dropper post.

This really is not about the $$$ here but

Favorite Trail:   Little Bear Loop Flagstaff AZ, Prescott AZ, Road 18 Fruita CO, and Sherando Lake VA

Purchased At:   Trek Bikes Raleigh N

Similar Products Used:   I had a Specialized Enduro SL before but the E-150 fork was in the shop every other day getting its problems worked out. Sold it!!

Bike Setup:   Stock except for E90 carbon post I swap out for around NC and stem and higher riser bars.

Submitted by Kyle Kinne

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2013

Strengths:    this bike rocks i have had no problems with this bike and I've been using it as an enduro race bike. the frame cracking problem above scared me when i first read about it so i went out and checked and everything looked normal to me. the bike handles everything and eats everything up. super stiff carbon frame means amazing power transfer. the bike is a low maintenance bike and will treat you a million times better than you treat it.

Weaknesses:    the bike does have some weird size issues on some of the parts like the 95mm bb and the 7.75 x 2.5 shock eye to eye that makes it had to change parts out.

Bottom Line:
if you want an amazing bike buy this bike. this bikes can do anything I have climbed for hours and descended for days on this bike. the carbon is super light, stiff and strong. the bike feels very nimble even in the large sizes like i ride and makes you feel stable from dragging bar in a berm or mobbing over the techiest tech. i upgraded to a lyric rc2 dh because i was doing more downhill related riding and it still pedaled great.

Submitted by rudeboybl a Racer

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2013

Strengths:    Best bike I have ever owned. Super supple off the top, yet doesn't bottom easily - feels like a coil shock. Pedals well. Frame is super stiff and durable. ABP works - no brake influence or pedal feedback. Good geometry. Lightweight!

Weaknesses:    Doesn't pedal great out of the saddle
No ISCG tabs
Wish it was a little slacker

Bottom Line:
Great all around trail bike. This is definitely a one bike quiver type bike - especially if you run a 160mm fork. The DRCV shock works - feels the closest to a coil to any shock I've ridden thus far. The ABP works. Pedals great and the bike it lightweight so it will get you to the top quickly, yet the stiff frame and good geometry means it will descend like a bigger all mountain bike. I've ridden this bike in 40 mile XC races and at the bike parks. Great bike.

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   Poison Spider Bikes

Bike Setup:   2011 9.9 with RS Revelation 150 with a 20mm thru axle (I swap in the fox 36 for park days and gnarlier trails). Stans flow wheels. XTR trail brakes, XTR trail RD with SRAM XO 2x10. RS Reverb. 30" bars with a 50mm stem.

Submitted by DHN3G a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2013

Strengths:    the bike has a good starting specifications. rear shock feels like a coil

Weaknesses:    after 9 months, the bearings in the rear ABP pivot started to go, there were loose and didnt run smoothly, the bike was heavily creaking, as well as the the bontrager wheels were not keeping spoke tension very wheel, i would true them, and 2 weeks later they would be out of true again with this the bontrager freehub had only a moderate freehub pick up, the bike also came with small handlebars considering what it was designed and advertised to do. Spare parts are also really hard to get hold off, the headset requires e2 bearings, which are very hard to get in Australia and DRCV fork bottomed out really fast and you had to pump up the pressure in the spring to stop it diving when braking hard, this meant you couldn't get through the whole travel when you wanted it. The local bike shops said they looked at the bearings, they said there was nothing wrong with them, i go for a ride and the first thing i hear is a cracking sound coming for the rear wheel pivot,

Bottom Line:
I would not recommend this bike to anyone who is looking at buying a bike like this, sure it has good specifications but the long term reliability of the frame bearings is poor and require very high maintence even in dry weather.

Favorite Trail:   Tuggeranong pines

Purchased At:   On the rivet phillip

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Nomad, yeti sb-66, giant reign,

Bike Setup:   Sram x0 type 2 short cage, renthal fatbars, straitline ssc 35mm stem, rockshox reverb, maxxis minion tyres,MRP G2 chainguide

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2013

Strengths:    Climb, Descend, do it all plush travel. Bullet-proof Shimano XT components.

Weaknesses:    Noodly Fox 32 fork. Creaking BB - just got to tighten it up now and then.

Bottom Line:
I keep this bike at my 'other' residence as a pretty much one-bike-do-it-all machine. I traded my '09[?] Remedy 8 - which I loved - for the '12 Remedy 9. The only real disappointment has been the 32 fork. My old one had the Rockshox Lyric which was better when things got interesting going down and had travel adjust for the up. So,with a new $$$ Talas 34 160 fitted, that problem is solved! It is now, with a dropper post, the bike Trek should be selling.
Buy this bike if you can talk your LBS into a deal with a Fox 34 fork or similar.

Similar Products Used:   'Trek Fuel EX 9.7, Slash 9. My 'home' bikes.

Bike Setup:   Dropper seat post, Fox Talas 34, Kenda Nevegals.

Submitted by E-ROG a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2013

Strengths:    Frame Design
Lightweight 150mm Fox Fork w Thru Axel
Rear Shock & Travel
ABP, EVO Link, Full Floater are best in the industry

Weaknesses:    None, just fine tune it to fit your size & riding style.
This bike should come stock with a 24,36, bash ring 2x10 drivetrain.

Bottom Line:
BEST bike I have ever owned by far!
I have owned Intense 5.5's & Tracers, Santa Cruz Hexler, Giant Reign, Trek Fuels, Specialized Stumpjumper & FSR and several others and I have ridden many more.
The Trek Remedy is KING!
Light, nimble & strong. This bike is confidence inspiring.
Treks massive R&D budget is packed into this rig and it pays off.
Amazing bike for the $$ and if you feel so inclined a few custome upgrades and its easy to shave weight.

I will concede that the "fit" of a bike is paramount so some of the other frames I have mentioned may well fit another rider better than a Remedy.

The new Fuels also took several leaps forward when they went to the frames with the EVO link, ABP, and Full floater.
New bontrager tires preform beautifully (wide, fast & super grippy), just pick the combo that fits your ride style.

Favorite Trail:   Snowmass Mtn.

Purchased At:   MSO