Trek Remedy 9.9 All Mountain Full Suspension

If your idea of a great day is testing the limits of your skills on a bike that can take you up, down, and wherever you want to go, Remedy is your ride.
  • Frame: OCLV Mountain Carbon main frame & OCLV Carbon seatstay w/alloy chainstay, Carbon Armor, ABP Convert, Full Floater, E2 tapered head tube, magnesium EVO Link, oversized pivot bearings, replaceable derailleur hanger, 150mm travel
  • Wheels: DT Swiss XM 1550 Tricon, 24 hole, 15mm front hub, 142x12mm rear hub; center lock, tubeless rims (no spoke holes)
  • Tires: Bontrager XR3 Team, 26x2.3""
  • Shifters: SRAM XX, 10 speed
  • Cassette: SRAM XX 11-36, 10 speed

Submitted by John Alderson a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2013

Strengths:    Trek Warranty!!! Cracked my first one in two weeks which was a 9.8 and Trek sent me a 9.9!!! Couldn't believe it! Climbs Great! Descends very well and the addition of the dropper post will make you fly faster downhill with on the fly adjustments. Solid bike and it will put a smile on your face from ear to ear!

Weaknesses:    None really to speak of, this bike is solid as a rock. Even after 2 years very quiet no creaks frame wise. If I were to get picky about it maybe the paint could have been better on the 9.9 Don't get me wrong it is a beautiful paint job but the clear coat was noticeably light in one area.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2011 Remedy 9.9. I bought this bike because I was tired of cracking frames and being stuck having to cough up cash for a new frame every 2-3 years. I just received it and I was on a epic bike trip starting in AZ to CO and half way threw in Moab is where the rear triangle gave out. I was just getting ready to hit the downhill at Porcupine Rim and I heard this crunch. I thought it was the chain at first but then after further inspection the carbon was cracked in several places. Bummer!!! Defective Frame. Trek hooked me up though with the 9.9 no questions asked!!!! :) I had rented a IBIS Mojo to hold me over for the rest of the trip.

This bike just ROCKS! I hit stuff that I never did before! Very confident descender on downhill drop the post and you can just warp speed it! It handles big hits pretty good too. Climbs extremely well too like lesser travel bikes. I did change out the bars and stem because on steep stuff it felt a little sketchy. I do wish it came with 160 mm travel on the front for out west trails. The rear travel seems bottomless and handles 4-5 foot drops good and jumps well. That's about my current limit! Here in NC 150 MM travel is fine. On tight twisty trails this bike carves it up like a race bike. Just amazing the trail versatility and go anywhere ability of this bike! You will love this bike!

I am glad Trek did address head tube steepness on the 2012 and newer frames with the new adjustable link which gives you 5 degrees more. May need to upgrade!

The 2.35 Bontis XR4 tires bog it down a bit but provide great grip. With 2.1's it's a lot snappier. I swap tires and seat posts quite a bit depending where I ride. It tipped the scale at 26.5 lbs with 2.1 on the rims and no dropper post.

This really is not about the $$$ here but

Favorite Trail:   Little Bear Loop Flagstaff AZ, Prescott AZ, Road 18 Fruita CO, and Sherando Lake VA

Purchased At:   Trek Bikes Raleigh N

Similar Products Used:   I had a Specialized Enduro SL before but the E-150 fork was in the shop every other day getting its problems worked out. Sold it!!

Bike Setup:   Stock except for E90 carbon post I swap out for around NC and stem and higher riser bars.

Submitted by rudeboybl a Racer

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2013

Strengths:    Best bike I have ever owned. Super supple off the top, yet doesn't bottom easily - feels like a coil shock. Pedals well. Frame is super stiff and durable. ABP works - no brake influence or pedal feedback. Good geometry. Lightweight!

Weaknesses:    Doesn't pedal great out of the saddle
No ISCG tabs
Wish it was a little slacker

Bottom Line:
Great all around trail bike. This is definitely a one bike quiver type bike - especially if you run a 160mm fork. The DRCV shock works - feels the closest to a coil to any shock I've ridden thus far. The ABP works. Pedals great and the bike it lightweight so it will get you to the top quickly, yet the stiff frame and good geometry means it will descend like a bigger all mountain bike. I've ridden this bike in 40 mile XC races and at the bike parks. Great bike.

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   Poison Spider Bikes

Bike Setup:   2011 9.9 with RS Revelation 150 with a 20mm thru axle (I swap in the fox 36 for park days and gnarlier trails). Stans flow wheels. XTR trail brakes, XTR trail RD with SRAM XO 2x10. RS Reverb. 30" bars with a 50mm stem.

Submitted by Tom Fajarillo a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2012

Strengths:    The bike climbs like a mountain lion. I weight 200 lbs and the bike can carry me up the mountain like a jet. The downhill is a sweet sensation feeling. I cracked 3 frames and the last victim was my Niota Litespeed titanuim which litespeed claimed the king of the mountain...right!!!

Bottom Line:
I purschased the framed at 60% discounted rate from a trex dealer. Then, I did my homework shopping for components from Ebay, craiglist and websites. I mixed XX disc brakes, XX crankset but stayed mostly for XTR shimano for wheelset, derauillers and cassette. I dressed it up with all carbon handlebar and stem. After 8 months later, it only cost me $4600 with all new components.

Favorite Trail:   Ranger creek, all moab trails

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Bicycle west (frame

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed Niota, Litespeed Obed, Intense Spider, Specialized stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   XX sram disc brakes and crankset and XTR shifter, derauillers, cassette, wheelset.

Submitted by Cody a Cross Country Rider from Tucson

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2011

Strengths:    climbing, downhill, durability, component package, feel.

Weaknesses:    Not much here except I did have to send the rear shock in (under warranty) for a rebuild because of leakage.

Bottom Line:
This bike climbs! I couldn't believe it and I wouldn't have even looked at this bike if I hadn't been coaxed into trying it. Its a bit heaver than I was looking for, but it feals much lighter on the trail. I'm not sure how it works but I was sold the first ride. I have ridden every trail in Tucson and my confidence has gone through the roof after riding this bike. I went from walking down most drops on mt lemon to cleaning every drop except one (and its just a matter of time before I clean that one too). Its an expensive bike... but you know what, thats what I was looking for, and I got a hell of a deal so it was even more worth it.

Favorite Trail:   50 Yr and all of Mt Lemon

Purchased At:   Fairwheel Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Previously owned a Trek Fuel. I've ridden quite a few other brands, but too many to count.

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock setup except I swapped out my large ring for a bash guard and changed my small and medium to 36 and 46 respectively so basically a 2x9 setup... also upgraded to the joplin 4 seatpost. I haven't had any problem with the originaly joplin except it was just an inch too short for my confort.

Submitted by DHmonkey123 a Downhiller from San Anselmo, CA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2011

Strengths:    stiff, slack, good suspension, loving the joplin

Weaknesses:    it isn't mine :(

Bottom Line:
This bike rips. rode it up techy single track and it was very good rolling and no pedal bob with propedal and the 120mm setting up front. descending was great with the 160mm setting and no propedal. joplin was dropped as well. it was smooth, fast, didn't blow through the travel, and was nice and slack. a wee bit overkill for what i rode but only by like 20 mm. i was used to it the second i jump on it. just had to get used to the fact that it was only a demo bike. tires are very grippy but i had too much air in them. over by 10 psi. you have to be exact with tire pressure. whips/jump real easy too. definitely look into it if you are a freerider with no way of shuttling. definitely #1 in its class.

Favorite Trail:   Alchemist

Purchased At:   Sunshine Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   session88 scratch coil, remedy

Bike Setup:   THIS IS A REVIEW FOR A TREK SCRATCH AIR NOT A REMEDY 9.

Submitted by don a Downhiller from Akron, OH USA

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2010

Strengths:    Light, stiff, perfect geometry for aggressive riding. Easy to maintain speed, feels even lighter than it is.

Weaknesses:    The saddle is a piece of wood. My crotch is still numb and that was yesterday. Grips not so great. Personal preference on the tires. Fork and shock needed a little more tuning to work together better. They had a hub on it that had the loud pawls, really annoying when the bike was silent otherwise.

Bottom Line:
I could've rode that bike all day. ( If not for the crap saddle). Once up to speed it was easy to keep it fast and just focus on handling the trail. And it does that very well. Stable when you need it and able to steer quick between trees with a slight tug on the bars. That nice swooping feel in banked turns with some g out. It felt very similar to my Kona Coilair, but at what felt like half the weight, and a little more sitting in the bike rather than on it. The fork and shock weren't operating together as well as I thought they should have. The fork eating everything and the shock reacting to stuff, not as plush. The exact same for the Fuel EX9.9 I rode the same day. Probably a set up issue. Not much difference with the Propedal on or off. If you look at the rocker it moves with each crank, but otherwise you wouldn't know it. This is now a real close decision between this bike and the Pivot Mach 5 I demoed. The Trek is that good. Probably an even better all mountain, aggressive riding bike. Change the saddle, grips, tires, some tuning and this bike could be close to perfect.

Favorite Trail:   Snow Shoe WVA

Similar Products Used:   Currently ride a 94 coiler for urban, 95 enduro for cross country, 96 coilair for all mountain

Bike Setup:   Stock except for a prototype hub they were testing.

Submitted by Da Chetster a Cross Country Rider from Buena Vista, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, Trek technology (OCLV Red frame, ABP, Full Floater, Evo Link, proprietary DRCV Fox shock, E2 headset, proprietary Fox Talas RLC fork w/ through axle), Crank Bros "Joplin" seatpost, Avid Elixirs

Weaknesses:    Price - but it's still less $$ than a comparable bike from other brands would be - killer Trek value once again. I may change the tires for something more locally-specific but the Bonties are a fine all-around, all-mountain tire. Some one argue there could be more carbon (in the spec mainly) but this is an all-mountain ride built for all-mountain conditions. Fully kitted out, my 18.5 comes in at just over 28 lbs.

Bottom Line:
Remedy 9.9 makes no compromises. Trek continues to build the best values in the cycling industry. If you tried to build up a bike like the Remedy 9.9 the cost would be prohibitive; if you bought it from another vendor the price would be much higher. The Remedy 9.9 is almost a concept/technology demo bike but it works now and is available now. Adding the "Scratch" to the line-up allowed Trek to dial the Remedy in for all-mountain and epic riding. I bought it because riding our local conditions frequently, even what is "cross-country", demands the more robust attributes of an all-mountain bike. Day long rides on rough trails take a toll on the bike and the rider. I'm getting older and I've worked hard, so I need and can afford the bike. The ride is smooth and comfortable, and I'm going over and off obstacles I'd begun refusing, despite my best intentions. I will be riding longer and more difficult rides more often again. If you can find any way to buy a Remedy 9.9, do it. No compromises.

Favorite Trail:   Midland/Broken Boyrfriend

Purchased At:   The Trailhead/Trailh

Similar Products Used:   K2 ProFlex Beast many years ago; Rocky Mtn Slayer; Trek Fuel EX 8; many others

Bike Setup:   Stock w Shimano M-647 pedals.

Remedy 9.9 Vs Stumpy Evo Carbon

2012 Trek Remedy 9.9 [video=youtube;-n6HH2kQotU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n6HH2kQotU[/video] Vs 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Evo Expert Carbon Which would you choose? I think I've narrowed it down to these two for my trail bike. Found both used, I think it'll cost me about 5-6 ... Read More »

Paid SPAM: $2500 Trek Remedy 9.9 carbon, dt swiss, fox, sram X0 XX, slacked out!

Just lowering my price on this. I'll accept an offer of $2500, this is an excellent bike, perfect for good times on trail Scoop it up! The ad and pictures: 2011 Trek Remedy 9.9 carbon, slacked out blinged out, price reduced! - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories Frame (model ... Read More »

Paid SPAM: $2500 Trek Remedy 9.9 carbon, dt swiss, fox, slacked out blinged out!

Just lowering my price on this. I'll accept an offer of $2500, this is an excellent bike, perfect for good times on trail Scoop it up! The ad and pictures: [url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=86337&title=2011-trek-remedy-9-9-carbon-slacked-out-blinged-out-price-reduced&cat= ... Read More »

Paid SPAM: Price reduced! $3k obo 2011 Trek Remedy 9.9 carbon

[url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=85902&title=2011-trek-remedy-carbon-slacked-out-blinged-out&cat=3]2011 Trek Remedy Carbon, slacked out blinged out! - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url] Pretty sure I've decided to sell this, so my price is pretty ... Read More »

Remedy 9 29er first ride

Picked up a Remedy 9 29er last weekend and finally manged to get out on the local trails. The trails are kinda fast and jumpy with some rocky sections, with tennis to rugby ball sized rocks. First off, this is a very nimble bike, easy to launch off drops and jumps, (nothing too big, just 2-3ft ... Read More »