Trek Remedy 9.8 All Mountain Full Suspension

If your idea of a great day is testing the limits of your skills on a bike that can take you up, down, and wherever you want to go, Remedy is your ride.
  • OCLV Carbon seatstay
  • Fox Float RP-23 with Trek DRCV
  • Fox 32 Talas Fit RL fork with E2 tapered steerer and 15QR
  • DT Swiss M 1800 wheelset

Submitted by Jean-Guy the Canadian Bushwhacker! a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2013

Strengths:    Agile, Decent Weight, Components, Plush Suspension

Weaknesses:    Sketchy Front End on Steep Climbs

Bottom Line:
I bought the 2013 Remedy 9.8 at the end of the season. Noticeable difference over previous reviewers in terms of spec: Full XT Groupset, RockShox Reverb Dropper, Bontrager XR3 Tires.

I did a ton of research before finally settling on this bike despite not having tested it as a demo model was not available. Instead, I tested the Fuel EX9 which has identical geometry to the Remedy but much less travel. You'll notice in the field below the bikes I tested. This bike has surpassed my expectations and with winter hitting Canada, I'm already dreaming of the next riding season. I went with this bike over the Fuel EX because the sales guy made a point, the fuel will always ride like a 120mm travel bike, whereas with the Remedy, you can ride it as a 150mm bike, or set it up to ride like a 120mm bike. I have to tell all of you that I got the amazing price listed below because I bought it on clearance in September - MSRP on this thing is $5400 otherwise.

In terms of ride quality, this is an extremely plush set-up in terms of absorbing hits. Compared to the Norco Sight, this bike soaks everything up and the Active Braking Pivot (ABP) is extremely noticeable and definitely improves the ride. I have my for and shock set to Trail and have only on 2 occasions use the Climb setting on extended (4km) fire road climbs. This bike's pedaling platform is extremely efficient on climbs - I have cleared section of trail on this bike that I was never able to clear on my hardtail. The only downside to climbing on this bike is the steering can get sketchy on steep climbs - you'll have to move up on the saddle to ensure the front wheel can bite enough to steer.

For downhill and all other situations, this bike is super responsive and flickable as it is a 26er. The Sight is impressive also with its tweener size but I personally prefer this bikes handling. At 28.8lbs with XT pedals for 18.5" frame, it's definitely not the Superfly 100, but the tradeoff is a bike that can handle anything you throw at it. This bike will likely be too much bike if all you ride is x-country type trails. To take full advantage you have to ride technical singletrack with downhills that would scare hardtail riders.

I would definitely recommend this bike to anyone - especially if you pick it up at the end of the season on clearance!!

Favorite Trail:   Mont Ste-Anne, QC

Similar Products Used:   Trek Superfly 100 SL, Norco Sight B-1, Trek Fuel EX9, Cannondale Scalpel

Bike Setup:   Stock, Tubeless

Submitted by George Mercado

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2013

Strengths:    Climbing, control, manueverbility,braking,weight...

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Thing climbs like a billygoat on steroids. handling is great. I have the 18.5 and its perfect for everything I do. whether it be uphill or downhill. I have the 2012 fuel ex8 and was happy but the remedy is the adrenaline rush I wanted....thenx TREK

Submitted by Idaho rider a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2012

Strengths:    Durable. Good component spec. Reasonable weight. Talus=steeper headangle for climbing. Wheelset.

Weaknesses:    Shock valved a bit soft for my taste. Frt. Derailleur mount. Press in BB interface has ?able lifespan.

Bottom Line:
This is a long time test. I love this bike, but it is not everything it can be as a stock bike. So I am upgrading it to be stiffer and lighter. I prefer very technical trail. Almost trials (not trails) really. If I can bash through on a squish bike, it is too easy, and I haven't challenged my self. Talus is key on this bike in order to steepen the head angle to work up steep techy stuff. This demands a fairly STIFF bike with a lot of rebound, which is counter to how they valved the shock on this bike. Couldn't live with it that way so I opted to pay to send it back to Fox to have them revalve it from SOFT tune to MEDIUM tune (like the Fuel EX). Now that the bike is tight, it is time to make it light. Bike size 21.5", is about 30 lbs., tubless, with spd.s. Going to go with XX1 and Easton Haven Carbons (will need to wait for Easton to get them compatible) and a couple of minor tweaks to get it down to 27 lbs. WITHOUT sacrificing durability. While I like the XO's, I would have preferred the shimano brakes instead of XO's, as they are quieter, demand less maintenance, are easier to adjust, oh, and just work better. The Joplin dropper post adds weight, I haven't had to touch it in a year and a half, and totally disagree with with reviews that it is too wobbly side to side. The only time it is noticable is when I am OUT of the saddle. When I am seated, it NEVER even occurrs to me. Wheelset rips! They are holding up to jumping ect., and the DT Swiss star rachet freehub is bombproof. My first was a dt-340, spent five years in the rainforest, and was still going strong after five years when I sold the bike...
Negatives-The direct mount frt. der. is not adjustable side to side, so I am limited to Bending the cage to get proper clearance to use enough of my gears out back. Blew up the main spring on the XT rear der., Shimano was great about the warrantee, but I ditched it to get the new XTR with the clutch, so I wouldn't have to keep going through that process. I also blew up the FIT damper in the FOX 32, great warrantee service as well, but am thinking the FOX 34 might be a better option for more agressive riders.
Who will like this bike.? Folks who are on the edge between trail rider and light freeride. For slow technical trail, pump the shock up higher, more than your body weight in psi. Not sure about the new THREE way valving on the 2013 model. They may have dialed the permanent super-squish out of it. This is NOT an XC/trail machine without substantial upgrades. While the 9.8 is commendably light, the lower spec'd models are a bit tubby. Be honest about what you need. 6" of travel and 30+ pounds do not a versatile trail bike make. But if you are on a smaller frame size, can keep the weight under 30, feel the back end is not too squish, and want a durable, proven (ABP) design, this is an excellent bike....

Favorite Trail:   East Glacier, Juneau, Alaska

Duration Product Used:   1.5 years

Purchased At:   World Cycle, Boise,

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Raven, Cannondale Prophet

Bike Setup:   Stock + XTR clutch

Submitted by Rushan a Weekend Warrior from Layton, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2012

Strengths:    Weight, Geometry, and components.

Weaknesses:    Included tires (Bontrager XR4 EXP) and wish the front shock was a 36 instead of a 32 (minor weakness).

Bottom Line:
I did a lot of research before buying my mountain bike as this is a 2011 Remedy 9.8 and has been a great bike to take on any trail so far. Since is my first full suspension mountain bike I do not have much to compare it to, but it rides really well both up and especially down hills. I liked the price for the components it came with as I really like the Shimano XT line and the Avid XO brakes, but the frame, ride, and warranty finished my decision. The Joplin 4 drop seat post is really easy to use and is a big plus to have on an all mountain bike going down hills. I was also happy that they used DT Swiss wheel sets this year which are really easy to set up tubeless (my first time doing that) and provide great wheel movement while riding. The fox suspension works well and is only a little off in the front with the 32 fork instead of the stiffer 36 Talas, but I love having the adjust ability even if the bike climbs well with the full travel (most of the time). Having a 36 instead of a 32 would help on the downhill runs as it does flex with the 32. Will have to see if the warranty will allow me to put a 36 fork in the future on it? I will say that I wish the Remedy came with better tires; not bad but not great for the price of the bike. Not sure if I would buy a newer Remedy as they changed some of the things I liked of the 2011 and would go with a different bike like the Slash (if it had a carbon frame). I really like the carbon fiber as it feels really strong and stiff and has handled well so far. Remedy is a great trail bike that is a good mix between cross country and more down hill oriented all mountain bikes. I do not recommend the Remedy for hard core down hill riding, but is a great all mountain trail riding bike for those that want an outstanding all around bike instead of owning two specific purpose bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Any mountain single track trail

Purchased At:   Hyland Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   none for more than a test ride

Bike Setup:   Stock with Time ATAC XS Carbon pedals and Stan's No Tubes

Submitted by king a Cross Country Rider from hong kong

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2011

Bottom Line:
I had an old 2010 trek 9.8 remedy, the paint cracked and trek replaced me with the new 2011 version which I thnik is fantatic service. I have not try the new one yet, which I think it should be as brilliant as the prvious version. I am not a very experience rider but I feel very sure and confident riding down mountain with 9.8 ex

Favorite Trail:   trek 9.8 ex

Submitted by dirt dog a Cross Country Rider from Winter Park CO

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2011

Strengths:    Does it all - very well...if you're a "technical trail rider" and like the gnarly line, this will git er done.

Weaknesses:    none - it ain't cheap but it's a bargain compared to the 9.9

Bottom Line:
Hard to believe it out climbs my old Fuel 9.9 EX which weighed around 24.5lbs. If you're not getting shuttled, this bike will get you to the top with minimal effort. When it's time to go down, point and shoot. I truly love this bike!

Favorite Trail:   High Lonesome

Similar Products Used:   Blur LT; Intense 5.5; Mojo HD; Fuel EX 9.9

Bike Setup:   Factory Spec 2011 Remedy 9.8

Submitted by Rocrnr a Weekend Warrior from Victoria, BC Canada

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent suspension
Strong Brakes
Reliable

Bottom Line:
New mountain bike rider as of last summer. After some time and tumbles I can say riding the Remedy is more enjoyable than my Madone road bike. 2 - 3 hour rides, the suspension soaks up everything...climbs really well, strong brakes and super reliable. Technical climbs with suspension wide open no problem - the Bontrager XR4's are a MUST have, they hook up exceptionaly well in the mud and wet. Light weight but solid with only a few chain links blown so upgraded the chain. I highly recommend this bike!

Favorite Trail:   anythng at Hartland

Purchased At:   Trek ProCity Victori

Bike Setup:   Stock with Bontrager XR4 tires front and rear
New Durace Chain

Submitted by underwaterexplosions a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, versatility.

Weaknesses:    The stock tires (Bontrager XDX)

Bottom Line:
Have only ridden the 9.8 four/five times since I've bought it 3 weeks ago, but it is easily the best all-mountain bike I've ever ridden. You'd be hard-pressed to find a more capable bike in this price range. For those of you looking for a bike that can truly do it all, look no further (unless you have a ton of cash and want to go with the 9.9). What has most impressed me with this bike is its versatility. Charge up fireroads with the Propedal and Fox 32 Talas locked out. Ascend rooty singletrack like a hot knife through butter. Attack the downs with the assurance that the 150mm of DRCV travel will iron out the gnarly stuff. Hit that drop with confidence. Soar through the snaky stuff with the slightly steeper headangle and the stiffness of the 15mm QR. For those of us that can't afford the DH bike and the XC bike and the Trail bike and the Slopestyle bike and the DJ bike and the AM bike.