Trek Remedy 8 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.67/5 (30 Reviews)

• Front Suspension: Fox 32 Talas RL w/air spring, lockout, rebound, alloy E2 tapered steerer, 15QR, 120-150mm travel adjust
  • Rear Suspension: Fox Float RP-2, "trail tuned" w/Trek DRCV, ProPedal, rebound; 7.75x2.25"
  • Wheels:Bontrager alloy 15mm front hub, Shimano alloy M525 rear hub; Bontrager Duster 32-hole rims
  • Tires:Bontrager XR3 Expert, 26x2.3"
  • Saddle: Bontrager Evoke 2, chromoly rails

Trek Remedy 8 All Mountain Full Suspension Pro Review

The Trek Remedy 8 is a trail bike by nature but if you want to really want to be technical, this is a model that fits the “all mountain” designation established a few years ago. It boasts close to 6-inches of suspension travel front and rear, aluminum construction, Trek’s Full-Floater suspension linkage and Active Braking Pivot (APB) technology. For $3,150, you can pick up a 2012 Trek Remedy 8 exactly like ours, which consists of 5.9 inches of suspension travel via a Fox 32 TALAS RL fork and Fox Float RP2 DRCV shock. Continue reading →

Submitted by Serf a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2013

Strengths:    A great Rig at a great price!! Trek and Red Shield!!!! Jaxs Bike Shops!

Weaknesses:    Cosmetic Warranty?????????

Bottom Line:
This will be my 2nd review for my 2011 Remedy 8. Before this bike I had a love affair with Kona's. 1st was a Coiler and 2nd a Coilair. Very durable dependable rigs but man oh man heavy (dont think I could break a Chainstay thou). When I got my Remedy I was in love with riding all over again. I even had a 3rd chainring!!!!! From Southern CA to St George Utah and many places between we have covered many miles in da dirt. April 30, 2013 after the Rwanda ride we took a spin in Aliso Woods. Up Cholla and Down LYNX. I am not a bomber I do not huck I just like to get out and ride. We finished up with a sprint out Coyote when I noticed my rear felt soft on my last climb before the fire road. Well it was! At the last water crossing at the entrance to Dripping Cave I lifted my front tire and BROKE not Cracked, Both Chain Stays. Waz so Sad. John at Jaxs in Laguna Niguel was on it. After talking to Trek and figuring out Frame Warranty 2 yr (COSMETIC Warranty 1 yr) I now have a 2012 Remedy 8 black Frame, Black chain Stays that are not the same finish as the frame and my 2011 Seat Stays (not black). I am just glad I will be riding again within a 2 week time period biek is ready for pick up 5/14/2013. Thanks Jaxs and Trek for standing behind ur products, I have heard horror stories with Warranty Frames. As for the looks hell with it get out and Ride!!!!

Submitted by ash trail rider from australia a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2012

Strengths:    Light for its descending capabilities. Eats up rough stuff. Good spec. Fun to ride once set up is done. Brakes are strong, shifts great, abp works great ( feel in control when heavily braking).

Weaknesses:    Treks warranty service is a bit slow. Drcv shock had a slow air leak from new. Bontrager tyres are ok on rear but very sketchy on front. Bike was massively improved by fitting a Kenda Telonix front tyre, but any grippy front would do, example Maxxis Ardent.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a fantastic design, I look forward to hitting the trails with it, it makes me want to ride. It handles the loose rocky fireroads and flowy singltrack I ride really well, I actually look forward to rough ground so I can hammer through it. I threw a set of light tyres on it for 3 laps of a xc track an was amazed how light and zippy it felt, climbed almost as good as an Rocky Mountain element 50 I rode on the same track. I competed in my first gravity enduro on it and took out C grade, bog standard except for Kenda front tyre.

Favorite Trail:   Pine Creek

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain element 50 2012

Bike Setup:   Adjusted suspension to suit, Kenda Telonix front tyre, just ride it!

Submitted by Highwaystreets a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2012

Strengths:    Climbing ability
Descending ability
TALAS fork
DRCV Shock
Frame Color

Weaknesses:    Somewhat weak brake choice
Would prefer 2 x 10 setup

Bottom Line:
Incredible versatility for a bike with this much travel. Went from a Trek Fuel Ex8 to the Remedy and i don't notice much of a downgrade in climbing ability but a bike step up in descending. Really like the TALAS fork as i sometimes ride easy singletrack with the family so the lower suspension travel is great for this. The DRCV shock performs as advertised and is much better then the RP2 which was on my Fuel 8.

I recommend this bike for riders who like All Mountain style riding with a good mix of up hills and downhills.

I was able to get this model at a great discount so the value for me in particular was fantastic. I really like the 2011 paint scheme and it looks even better in person.

All in all this is the best bike i have ever rode! So far i plan on going 2 x 10, adding a bashguard and a chain tension device

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel Ex 8

Bike Setup:   Stock, for now

Submitted by Luke

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2012

Strengths:    Active breaking pivot, full floater and drcv are what sold me to trek! This bike climbs as well as it descends, it holds such a strait line at high speeds, this is a great all around bike I'd say 50/50 on climbing and descending, if you want more of a downhill bike get the trek slash or of course a session! But the remedy sits beautifully right in the middle.

Weaknesses:    The crank that it comes with is pitiful, also I would like to see it come with a 34 series or even a 36, the 32 that is on it is just barley enough for what this bike is capable of

Bottom Line:
Iv owned my trek remedy 8 for a little over a month now, i climb about 14 miles every other day on it and have no complaints in that department, but I also take it on shuttle runs on Sunday's and it does just fine, like I said before is it could reall use a bigger fork up front but that's only how I feal on shuttle days. Other then that this bike is a perfect light duty all mountain bike. Can't complain too much at 30.9 lbs.

Submitted by Sexington a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2012

Strengths:    The fact that it can do so much so well

Weaknesses:    The only problem I have had with this bike is dropping the chain. put on a chain guide and all is well.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in the spring of 2010. I have ridden it cross country, Whistler downhill, freeriding on the North Shore and Sumas Mt, and even used for a couple enduro type races (4-5 hour courses). It feels good in the air and climbs admirably. The angles make it a bike that can do lots realy well.

Favorite Trail:   Race of Spades

Similar Products Used:   Giant Reign X0, Cannondale Gemini

Bike Setup:   only thing I put on was an E-Thirteen chain guide and went tubeless with Schalbe Hans Dampf tires

Submitted by krs22 a Weekend Warrior from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2011

Strengths:    Climbing, Cornering, Rock Gardens, Drops and technical trails. I really enjoy the adjustable fork for climbs. Dominates the Downhill with its integrated suspension.

Weaknesses:    Have not found one. Maybe a 36 size front fork for Moab.

Bottom Line:
Trek Remedy has proved they are the top mountain bike in this class. The competition is about 3 years behind in research and development in my opinion. The advantages are the ABP braking system, EVO suspension system. 12mm through axle instead of 5mm for a 10% increase stiffness in the rear. DRCV Shock that has a bottomless feel and handles drops like a dream. E2 Headtube for stiffer frame and more response in cornering.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Trek Store

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Nomad. Yeti 575

Submitted by poppawheeley a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas, NV

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2011

Strengths:    Bottomless. Lightweight. Excellent tracking. If you land off camber the bike rights itself instantly.

Weaknesses:    Blew through the front travel coming off a big boulder at Gooseberry Mesa. Mostly rider error but really put the front end to the test. Ended up flatting in the process.

Bottom Line:
Confidence inspiring. Lots of smiles. In particular I remember this bike seemed to find itself completely comfortable through every part of the day riding North & South rims of Gooseberry Mesa and bombing down the White Road.

My wife told me I look hot on this bike.

Top Fuel WSD is an excellent choice if you're looking for a bike for your woman.

Favorite Trail:   trails under a year old

Purchased At:   Zion Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Endorphin Nomad Enduro Stumpjumper El Guapo MOjo R.I.P.9 Reign X

Bike Setup:   Basically stock 2010 Trek Remedy 8. Early in the rental season 2010 Zion Cycles

Submitted by yeahthatsme a Downhiller from NY

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2010

Strengths:    Durable Frame, Great Components, Very Stiff, Decends amazing, fork and rear shock are very plush, rear never bottoms out.

Weaknesses:    2step on lyrik breaks easily, original tires are crap, narrow bars.

Bottom Line:
This bike hits drops very well, and decends like a downhill rig, and even when climbing has a stable pedaling platform, the full floater is the best rear suspension I have ever used for the sole reason that it never bottoms out, and is very solid. On the frontside one could expect the 2step to not break, but the Lyrik is super plush and relatively tunable. This bike is great for any type of trail, espescially coming down. On the climbs it is a bit of a lug,but that is resolved by the propedal and floodgate. Overall this bike is awesome!

Favorite Trail:   Diablo Freeride Park

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakar Bam, Specialized Enduro, Specialized Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Full Deore XT, Big earl Wheels, Panaracer fire FR tires, lyrik and RP23

Submitted by Pricey184 a Weekend Warrior from Glens Falls NY

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2010

Strengths:    Outstanding rear wheel tracking...stays planted.
Flickable and yet very stable.

Weaknesses:    Way too wide bars for my liking.

Bottom Line:
This bike is amazing thus far. I am alittle rough on equipment....and thus far has handled my riding technique. Rear tire tracks amazingly well compared to a single pivot Santa Cruz. Rear end has yet to feel loose (bolts/bearings or axle) in any way. My Cruz was sloppy side to side, and my Giant wasted Bearings like it was its job in life. So far, Trek really has held together well. From climbing to down hill rock gardens....this bike is great. Climbs very well, bike floats under you with little effort and no energy lost. When pointed down the hills, it shines. I have yet to find something that I would truely gripe about and say that I regret purchasing this bike. Great bang for the buck.

Favorite Trail:   Tongue Mnt

Purchased At:   Blue Sky

Similar Products Used:   07 1/2 Santa Cruz Heckler, 05 Giant Reign 2

Bike Setup:   XT everything, KS seatpost, Talas RL up front RP 2 in the rear.

Submitted by jitenshakun a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth climber
light weight
value for $$$
solid read end
All mountain geometry
style

Weaknesses:    Talas RL
Stock tires aren't ideal for loose dirt, nor rocky terrain

Bottom Line:
This bike climbs better than expected and descends with confidence. Don't fool yourself, it isn't a FR bike so you'll have to slow it down on the rough stuff if you're used to a bigger bike. That said, the comfort with which you'll climb and pedal on the flats will make up for it.

My only beef is that the bike is under forked. The back end is surprisingly smooth and plush, which is a stark contrast to how the Talas RL feels up front. With a slightly bigger fork this bike would be a 5/5 for me.

Purchased At:   Calgary Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Previous FS rigs include a Knolly DT and a Santa Cruz Superlight

Bike Setup:   stock, but for Minion DHF Exo protection tires and Oury grips.

Submitted by Chesny a Cross Country Rider from Vail, CO USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2010

Strengths:    Transforms from capable XC bike to freeride bike on the fly.
Excellent cornering and breaking.
Loves anything and everything that's technical.
Very durable, I've only had to replace the chain after 2 years and it still rides like the day I bought it.

Weaknesses:    After 2 years of riding still can't find one.

Bottom Line:
I also took a 2010 Specialized Enduro for a 1 month demo and will make comparisons.

The Remedy 8 is a very strong climber that loves technical assents. The suspension and tires keep super sticky grip while going over any roots, rocks or whatever is in front of you. Tight switchbacks are what surprised me most about this bike, it’s just awesome and it doesn’t matter just how quick of a 180 you have to perform. On non-technical climbs the Fox RP23 shock and Rock Shox Lyric 2-Step fork adjust for optimum climbing with no noticeable bob and a very good climbing geometry, the bike is very comfortable to ride. You can really dial the suspension in and ALL adjustments can be done on the fly. It almost feels like a cross country bike except for the stouter and a little heavier frame and fork compared to an XC bike. Compared to the Enduro the Remedy definitely out climbs although my Enduro did not have adjustable fork travel (a major drawback in my opinion). The Enduro does not corner as well either. The Enduro also likes the technical stuff but you will expend more energy on climbs. Compared to an XC bike the Remedy is going to climb a little slower on smoother stuff but will get over the technical stuff with far more ease.

Descents ah yes the reason we all look at All-Mountain bikes. Once you are at the top of your climb take in the view adjust suspension as needed (which again can be done on the fly if views are not your thing). Fork and shock are fully adjustable to suit your needs. With both fully extended and open this bike will just FLY DOWN THE HILL! I work at the base of Vail Mountain’s gondola area and routinely pass people in full downhill bikes. The Remedy soaks up everything and will correct a few of your mistakes. It loves the tight turns and the Kenda Nevegals will grip anything you throw at them. The ABP (braking) on the Remedy will give you a lot of confidence and control up until the last second on fast descents. The large rotors and grippy Nevegals will stop you or allow you to really gain control in any terrain or tight turn situation. At 30lbs it’s a lightweight descender you can control at will and flick around corners. You think it and the bike does it. The Remedy is just tight all around and feels solid with confidence inspiring handling. On descents the Enduro matches up well with Remedy. The Remedy does feel better in tight turns. On descents the Enduro will also fully please you as does the Remedy. I did like the 2x9 drive-train on the Enduro. For descents comparing the two is a toss-up. Both bikes are extremely durable and will provide you with a long smile inducing life.

Bottom line I say buy the Trek Remedy it is 1 bike that does it all. You will get to the top quicker and with more energy to enjoy the downhill. The bike does not have a weakness it transforms from a capable XC bike to a full on Free-Ride bike in seconds and on the fly. Also a good addition to your garage if you are an avid racer with a top of the line XC race bike.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim Moab UT

Purchased At:   Wheat Ridge Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro (1 month Demo)
Rocky Mountain Instinct
Specialized Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   XT drive train, shifters and disc brakes. Fox RP23 shock, Lyric 2-step fork. Add-ons from stock include Easton Monkeylite DH carbon handlebars and Crank Brother adjustable seatpost with remote setup

Submitted by j_h_vance a Weekend Warrior from Los Gatos, CA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2010

Strengths:    2010 18.5" frame: smooth, easy-to-adjust suspension, solid feeling frame, stiff fork (Fox 32 QR15), good geometry, suspension lock-outs work, tapered headset advantage is real.

Weaknesses:    horrible seat, seatpost seems to slip even when tight, brakes, esp front, way too quick to engage, stock stem a bit too short for me (5'11").

Bottom Line:
Put your old seat on this bike first thing. After that try to do something with the brakes, esp the front. It is so incredibly touchy (meaning the slightest pull easily locks the front wheel) which is not good for super technical rocky downhill terrain. I endo'd a few times before deciding to use the rear brake almost exclusively on the technical sections of the trail. The tires are ok, but they don't hold well on slabby granite. The stem is too short, though maybe not by much -- I'm 5'11" w/ a 32" inseam on an 18.5" frame.

BUT, other than those complaints it is a *great* bike and I rode some rough, rocky sections that I've previously failed on using my Blur. The suspension is super smooth and the lockouts front and rear really work. The geometry works for my tastes -- slacker in the front. I don't think I was any faster going uphill (though that is more a reflection of my fitness than the bike), but it sure seems faster and is definitely more fun on the downhills!

Favorite Trail:   Dome Trail

Purchased At:   Summit Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Blur XC, many others

Bike Setup:   stock except swapped out seat after one painful ride

Submitted by bullterrier a Weekend Warrior from Sheffield, Yorkshire, UK

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2010

Strengths:    Lyric Forks, Fox rear, frame, XT Running gear, Geometery, ride, looks and feel.

Weaknesses:    seat clamp and seat, awfull, dropped every time I got Big air, so sent email to trek and they replaced clamp with double fix upgrade FOC no quibbles. Side walls on tyres very thin. Cables rub paint on frame paintwork.

Bottom Line:
If you are as mad as me, then get one, if not, don't bother! it has the ability and is capable to do more than you ask it to do, it's a very strong bike, good up hill riding position and dam good on the downs!!!! great suspension all round, the root beer paint work gets looked at in envy too!

Favorite Trail:   Peak District

Purchased At:   JEJames, Sheffield

Similar Products Used:   Pitch Pro, Stumpy, GT I drive. (not as good though)

Bike Setup:   As factory plus the new seat and seat clamp.

Submitted by SunCoastAndrew a Weekend Warrior from Sunshine Coast, Qld, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2010

Strengths:    Weight Vs strength and capability, stiffness (frame is a thing of beauty), suspension action (plusher than my 6 inch freeride bike, active under brakes, pedals up hills like a scalded cat!)and it corners like it's on rails! Price drop from last year in Aus was huge. ABP skewer is rock solid and DRCV shock is awesome (easy to set bike up too!)

Weaknesses:    original saddle is rubbish, and XT shifting doesn't compare with sram X9. Fox fork could be a little softer on small bumps but it's still bedding in...

Bottom Line:
I sold my other bikes to get the one bike to do it all - this bike will be used for DH shuttles, DH enduro's, weekly trail rides, 50+ klm events and 12/24 hr team races. Had to compromise and get 2 wheel sets which gets the bike down to 12.25 kgs with pedals, 185mm rotors, computer attached and 2.35 maxxis ignitors. Only 3 rides in and I'm already bloody impressed and I'm still getting it set up properly. Cornering is phenominal and it pedals up anything - best with propedal off. Powers through the rough stuff and launches the small jumps hit so far. Loves the berms and snakey single track. I find myself looking for every possible root or lump to launch off - it's just makes everything so much fun. Will have to write another review once something more serious is ridden with the big tyres on!

Favorite Trail:   Snake - Bloodwood, Tewantin

Purchased At:   Venture Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Intense Tracer, Felt Virture, Trek Ex9, Intense spider (Chris Kovarik's old ride with custom angles - awesome ride!), Rocky Mountain Switch, Chumba XCL, GT Marathon

Bike Setup:   Changed from stock: 1 x 9 sram X9 gearing; MRP x.1 chain guide; easton monkeylite CNT bar dropped low on flipped Thomson 90mm stem; Fizik Gobi saddle on Thomson post; 2nd wheelset - Hope Pro 2 hubs/DT supercomp spokes/sun EQ21's (weigh 1570gms)

Submitted by ds a Weekend Warrior from il

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Bottom Line:
the best asdsdsds sds ds sd sds snjk hn jka kjh jkahdjkah djk ajkdgagjka klh kl hklj al laj dlajdl;ajkjgajfja hk kahkdhakj khdjkahdkjahdkjahjk khjkahdjkgjhg hjkladhka dhkdh k dhk ahd akhdqioueop qduyho qhrui gkfhjguiwo iriuwegh uqg eugquier quirgiuqy eiuqyoq yheqiouey qkye oqyhi ioq ihwe kfh wuioqryh qwuirh uio

Favorite Trail:   sd

Initial thoughts on the Remedy 8 29er

On Monday I picked up my first new bike in over 10 years - a black and blue Remedy 8 29er. I've ridden it every day and put about 25 miles on it so far. Hardly enough for a review, but I thought I'd share some first impressions as these are brand spankin' new and there's very little feedback out the ... Read More »

2014 Remedy 8 29 Ongoing REVIEW.

[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/09/ga8u2u3a.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/09/y4uduha6.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/09/ata2apy8.jpg[/IMG]So, got a Remedy 8 29. Swapping to xtr/xt . Pike in the near future, my Revelation 140 for now. Including headset, rearaxl ... Read More »

Anyone here ridden the Remedy 8 29er yet?

I asked another, more detailed question earlier that apparently didn't tickle anyone's interest, so I'll try this shorter one - has anyone ridden the Remedy 8 29er yet, and if so do they have any thoughts? It's apparently impossible to demo them here in New Hampshire and I'm trying to research it as ... Read More »

Trek Remedy 8 with DH mods?

While I continue to agonize about whether or not to purchase a DH bike, I'm trying to figure out if my current bike can do double duty. Can anyone tell me if the following is possible: 1.) Can I install a DH fork with a tapered steer tube on my Trek Remedy 8? The head tube takes a 1.5" tape ... Read More »

2012 Trek Remedy 9.8 650B Reynolds Carbon Conversion

All the chatter these days is focused on 29ers and 650B rigs. This post is for those of us who own a 26er that's compatible with 650b wheels who are thinking of upgrading to the newer 27.5 platform. I had zero clearance and compliance issues on my Remedy 9.8...no valving, no shimming, no extra air i ... Read More »