Trek Remedy 7 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.36/5 (22 Reviews)

• Frame: Alpha Red Aluminum w/ABP Convert, Full Floater, E2 tapered head tube, magnesium EVO Link, oversized pivot bearings, ISCG03 mounts, replaceable derailleur hanger, 150mm travel
  • Wheels: Formula alloy DC51, 15mm front hub, Shimano alloy M525 rear hub; Bontrager Duster 32-hole rims
  • Tires: Bontrager XR3 Expert, 26x2.3"
  • Saddle: Bontrager Evoke 2, chromoly rails

Submitted by greenblur

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2013

Strengths:    Excellent suspension design with the full-floater, APB and Fox DCRV shock (mine is pre-CTD). It works exactly as advertised, zero brake jack and super plush. Very nimble and playful; it really likes to wheelie, pump and jump around the trail. It can also just plow through chunk, if that's your riding style.
Bontrager seat and cockpit is surprisingly good quality.

Weaknesses:    Elixer 3 brakes = worst brakes ever. Swapped them before my first ride.
Bonty/Deore wheels were OK. I really liked the Bonty rim strip for tubeless setup. On the other hand, the Deore hub was toast in less than 60 days. They are no longer on the bike.
The 7 model comes with the QR rear axle vs 12x142 and its about $120 to buy the upgrade parts.
Deore shifters are serviceable but not noteworthy.
Suspension bobs a bit more than a DW/Maestro/VPP bike
Trek killed the 26" version in exchange for a 27.5"

Bottom Line:
I bought my bike used for super cheap, knowing that the brakes and wheels were likely junk. If I were to buy new, I would probably opt for the Remedy 8 to get better starting parts.

I absolutely love the way this bike rolls down the trail. No way to describe it other than FUN!

Submitted by E-ROG a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2013

Strengths:    Frame Design
Lightweight 150mm Fox Fork w Thru Axel
Rear Shock & Travel
ABP, EVO Link, Full Floater are best in the industry

Weaknesses:    None, just fine tune it to fit your size & riding style.
This bike should come stock with a 24,36, bash ring 2x10 drivetrain.

Bottom Line:
BEST bike I have ever owned by far!
I have owned Intense 5.5's & Tracers, Santa Cruz Hexler, Giant Reign, Trek Fuels, Specialized Stumpjumper & FSR and several others and I have ridden many more.
The Trek Remedy is KING!
Light, nimble & strong. This bike is confidence inspiring.
Treks massive R&D budget is packed into this rig and it pays off.
Amazing bike for the $$ and if you feel so inclined a few custome upgrades and its easy to shave weight.

I will concede that the "fit" of a bike is paramount so some of the other frames I have mentioned may well fit another rider better than a Remedy.

The new Fuels also took several leaps forward when they went to the frames with the EVO link, ABP, and Full floater.
New bontrager tires preform beautifully (wide, fast & super grippy), just pick the combo that fits your ride style.

Favorite Trail:   Snowmass Mtn.

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   MSO

Similar Products Used:   Intense, Santa Cruz, Specialized, Giant

Bike Setup:   2x10 w bash guard
Full Shimano XT
Bontrager Rhythm Pro/Elite components

Submitted by jack2nd reveiw a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2012

Strengths:    fast downhill and climbs great. survives crashes well. 6" suspension kicks but!!wide tires are unstoppable.cant beat a trek. 7" rotors did well at ski lift place. this bike is a seriouse machine.i think even trek surprised themselves with how great this bike is..

Weaknesses:    chain drop

Bottom Line:
treks remedy 7 is the baddest bike ever!! I ride hard and jump often.been to ski lidt place and technical pennsylvania downhill.. chain drop is because bike is too bad ash for 3 rings and no chain management. so check out my set up.

Favorite Trail:   palos il gravity cavity downhill and psycho clockwise.

Duration Product Used:   600 miles

Purchased At:   sumbaum/joliet, il

Similar Products Used:   this is a re- review to encourage a chain tensioner and to show sumbaums price befor taxes and custumizeations. my other post shows my total with tax , pedals, and goodies. seperate stuff.

Bike Setup:   3rd ring gone, replace with red alunimum race face bash, 2nd ring chaged from 32 to 36, and a blackspire stinger stops chain drop. stinger is iscg type and bots were sanded flush to clear granny bolts. roller eds up too far to cyclist right so i bent it 2mm or so towards cyclist left. pedals are shimanow m-324 duals spd bear trap. but sumbaum gave me good downhill pedals with the bike.

Submitted by Mike a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2012

Strengths:    Suspension design/performance, comfort (after some component changes), excellent climber, fast.

Weaknesses:    Noisy brakes, tires, saddle, grips, bar height and width

Bottom Line:
I bought a 2011 Remedy last summer and I love it. First impression was that the stock tires are terrible, the seat is bad, and the handlebars are a bit low and narrow. My LBS swapped out the tires, saddle, grips, bars and stem to fit me better. After the changes were made, this bike fits better than anthing else I've ridden. On my regular trail loops, I've shaved off a lot of time both climbing and descending compared to my old 2007 Trek Fuel EX7. I bought this bike for the fun on the descents but I was quite happy to find out that it tackles the climbs equally well. My LBS has worked on the brakes a number of times and the rear brake still occasionally wails. I have yet to try different pads so we'll see how that goes. I would recommend this bike to anyone who loves steep technical downhills but needs to pedal their way to the top first. I love riding this bike so much that for the first time I actually rode all winter through hardpack snow, ice, up to 5" of fresh powder and mud.

Favorite Trail:   Connector (Myra-Bellevue Park in Kelowna)

Purchased At:   Fresh Air Concept

Similar Products Used:   2007 Trek Fuel EX7

Bike Setup:   2011 stock with the following changes:
- Tires - Specialized Purgatory, rear-2.2, front-2.4 (excellent combo for my riding area)
- Bars - Chromag Fubar OSX, 780mm
- Grips - Specialized Rocca (a bit too hard)
- Stem - Specialized Pro-Set (adjustable rise)
- Pedals - Crankbrothers Candy C
- Saddle - Specialized Rival (similar to WTB Pure V).

Submitted by Tim a Weekend Warrior from Anaheim CA USA

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2012

Strengths:    Solid Feel even under suspension load.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
This bike is solid and tough. It can climb decently (shocks locked out) and can make you feel like a champion downhill (shocks open). Components are OK but as you know they are upgradeable. My suggestion is to practice hard and wear them out making space for better parts. Front and Rear shocks are happy together with its hi-tech frame so in my opinion there are no issues in that department. You do not have to take my word for it. I am just a weekend warrior and not really every weekend. But I have been on different bikes for few decades now and I did purchase a 2012 Trek Remedy 7. Did I mention Matte Black is beautiful? Have a great weekend folks!

Purchased At:   Jax Bicycle Shop

Similar Products Used:   GT RTS Team Frame

Bike Setup:   Factory Setup

Submitted by pedalfitch a Downhiller from il

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2011

Strengths:    the faster you go down hill the better it shreds.i can do trails, hills, climbs descends including ski lift down hill and also it jumps. tho no sold as jump bike my style of trail riding likes jumps along the way.suspension is a magic carpet ride!!sturdy solid quality stuff!!

Weaknesses:    28 7/8 wide handle bars. but befor i cut them i moved the brake levers and shifters in and steer with hands more in to see how it handles. most likely wont cut mor than an inch off each side. also be careful cutting seat stem. once optimum hieght is achieved you cant cut it to drop al the way down for jumpin cus not enough min insertion for high position.not true weaknesses at all.

Bottom Line:
this bike is a dream! love the wide tires. tires dig good descending , cornering and climbing. love gearing too. plenty of gears for climbing .2nd front gear runs lower so sometimes i climb without going into 1st front gear. also drcv front and rear shock are awesome! very easy to dial in. love the duster wheels.i was going to get a fuel ex but changed my mind and got a remedy 7.glad i did!.also thinking about downhill trails the require a car to shuttle so this is the perfect bike. the trek remedy 7 is the gearing,and performance of a cross country technical bike with the down hill tuffnes and 150mm of beutifull suspension and downhill rims.also under plastic armor to deflect rocks from front wheel.disc brakes are sweet!!got nice platform pedals bottom line is this bike has a cadilac ride and a nascar performance. the extra weight only matters if you store it in the basement.truth is im a newbie but this bike makes me feel like a pro.........get this bike you wont regret it.

Favorite Trail:   kickapoo

Purchased At:   local dealer

Similar Products Used:   have a trek 3500 but that aint similar

Bike Setup:   all stock. thumb and index finger shifters .real nice. i like the thing to ride or jump or climb or descend.my seat post is cut to have 3 1/2" insertion on my highest position which is 31 1/2" pedal to top of seat. also i drop it to 30 1/2" for steeper stuff, and all the way down it is 28 1/2 "off pedal for all the evil knevil crap i pull which will keep my bike tech working no matter what bike i get! he he .im 5 foot 8 inches and my in seam is 30 inches when i buy pants. i wiegh 200 lbs.

Submitted by ben gardner a Weekend Warrior from sacramento

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2011

Strengths:    very nimble and easy to ride, fast pedaling from the seat, very kush suspension.

Weaknesses:    a little heavy for xc riding, needs chain guide and third ring replaced with guard, sram x7 front, stock tires suck

Bottom Line:
I love this bike it is perfect for me. Light enough but still bomber, perfect all mountain bike. Like everything i wish it had some lighter components without added cost. I'm super stoked with my purchase

Purchased At:   retail store

Similar Products Used:   stumpjumper fsr

Bike Setup:   hilo seat post, e13 guard

Submitted by crisdp720 a Weekend Warrior from York

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2011

Strengths:    Mattress like ride, re shock set up great rides well up hill out of lock out, better locked out.

Weaknesses:    Spec tyres not great, Stock groupset not good. Owner.

Bottom Line:
Good Bike (not Great!!!. Its a bit heavy as stock build (Used to have fuel ex 8 before it was stolen, but a bit of tweaking and sligh change of emphasis from AM bias to XC seems to make it more my style... Biggest weakness is the rider!!! n4 chillis for value cos I got a cheap 2010 model and upgraded, over all 3 a good bike.

Favorite Trail:   Dalby, Coed y Brenin

Purchased At:   Evans

Bike Setup:   Joplin 4, SDG Bel Air Ti, Duster Rims Mountain King, Hope X2 front/rear brakes, XT groupset rest stock

Submitted by finstathefunsta a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2011

Strengths:    Light, confidence inspiring, looks great, fox suspension all-round, solid.

Weaknesses:    some would say the spec but i have not had any problems once i got used to SRAM shifting.. the forks have the same internals as the Talas but without the adjustability (which you don't need if you know how to not bounce when going pedalling) and I can't see why you would need more than 2 pro pedal settings. so, i would say no weaknesses!

Bottom Line:
It already fly's along the trail in its current spec with big heavy tyres.. It's going to be a magic carpet ride once i install all the new parts. I haven't had access to any big mountain riding, but my local ride had been described as some of the roughest single-track in australia and the remedy absolutely rips it up. over wash-outs and rocky sections all you need to do is point and take your weight off the pedals and you will float through (might help that I'm only 70kg's). i once had to abandon a log at slow speed leading to an almost 5ft vertical drop which i thought was going to kill the bike but it didn't even worry it.. felt like landing on pillows.

there is nothing wrong with the stock spec but chain reaction cycles just has too many good deals to pass up on.

i love this bike and anyone who wants a bike to hit the trails hard will too.

Favorite Trail:   south-east queensland area

Purchased At:   palm beach supercycl

Similar Products Used:   Norco Ryde, Giant XTC advanced, Giant reign 0, specialized enduro comp

Bike Setup:   Funn Fatboy 710mm bars, bontrager 80mm stem, X7 shifters, X7 FD, X9 RD, Elixir 3 brakes, S1000 cranks, Bontrager duster rims.

Waiting to be installed are X0 2x10 cranks, X0 brakes, X9 shifters and X9 FD.. once this is done it should drop about 400g out of the bike which will be great considering i am yet to find a hill that i can't make it up.. a couple more sensible upgrades and a new wheelset and i wont be far off the weight of a stock 9.9 (admitadly the 9.9 has the weight disadvantage of an adjustable seat post).

Submitted by hunterglass a Cross Country Rider from st. augustine, FL. usa

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2011

Strengths:    The strength with this bike is it's EXACTLY what I've been looking for! This 6" travel rig flies! I can't believe how fast this bike goes on the flats, how maneuverable and agile it is. I'm 6'4" riding the L size and it's a perfect fit for flicking and tossing. Tough frame means I don't worry about big hits, fairly light so it zips, great angles so it's easy to move over. My first Rock Shox and I like the fork a lot!

Weaknesses:    Well if you're talking about stock stuff then...I got rid of the SRAM components---doesn't feel good to me. I did more of a custom build. Other than that none so far---this bike makes me feel like a little kid with a new toy!

Bottom Line:
As stated above this bike makes me super excited to ride---anywhere! I feel like a little kid so giddy with a new toy!!
I describe my riding as fast and bashing---I love going fast and I also love jumping everything and tweaking the bike so I need something agile and flicky. It's tough to combine speed with durability and be able to ride very aggressively---well the Remedy has fit the bill! I tried the Enduro Pro SL, which these bikes are often compared, and while a good bike it has less XC characteristic...more of a stable downhiller. The remedy feels like a zippy XC bike but it doubles as an aggressive trail bike able to launch and toss, and it's tripled as a fun street assault ride! I'll be saving my pennies for a newer version for sure!!! I only give a 4 Chili due to the SRAM stuff.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere fast and technical

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Just sold the Specialized Enduro Pro SL, Jamis XLT 2.0, other F/S frames and hardtails prior

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Lyrik Air, Fox RP2. XT-XTR drivetrain, Race Face crankset, cool Sunline stem, Bontrager wheelset, XT brakes, FSA carbon post, Race Face bars

Submitted by Lostrover a Downhiller from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2011

Strengths:    light and pedals great,

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Very good value for a bike. With this setup I am just over 31 lbs. I have had 2 rides on it so far with some good fire road climbs and some nice descents on the shore. this bike is very well balanced when descending and in the air. For Local riding it would be better suited with a fox 36. After 6 hours on the bike its been a great ride. As for chain slap i have not had any issue with that because of the chain guide. I will update once i get more rides in.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro,

Bike Setup:   Mostly Stock with Stinger chain guide and big ring removed. Hayes Stroker Trails with 203 rotors, Truvativ Holzfeller World Cup Bar

Submitted by 748 N8 a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2010

Strengths:    Great climber and very solid cross country bike

Weaknesses:    The new 2011 headtube angles have killed this previously solid decender. Chain slap was unbearable unless always in the big ring, which was surprising because the chainstay was covered with a very cool rubber guard. Regardless, it didn't work.

Bottom Line:
On my recent trip to Moab, I rented this bike for the day to ride the Porc Rim Trail. Around the parking lot and on moderate trails, I loved it. I could wheelie and manual very easily and I loved the balance. It was a very good climber and great all around trail/cross country bike... then I went down a hill and it all changed. I'm a very experienced rider and I dont hesitate much when I ride, so I bombed the first decent and almost ate it hard several times. I kept pulling off the trail to adjust/soften the suspension because it felt so wrong. The fox fork was great and the rear was set to my weight perfectly (BTW, the custom RP2 on the rear was great and didn't bottom out, even on 4-5 foot drops) but the geometry was not compliant at all. Dont get this bike if you want to seriously ride everything. I have been renting many different bikes lately to determine my next bike and they were all more capable than the Remedy. Specifically, the new Specialized Enduro and Santa Cruz Blur LT were much better bikes with similar setup/components.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim Trail

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Blur LT, Rocky Mountain Altitude

Bike Setup:   Stock Remedy 7 specs. Fox 32 Float, RP2, Sram x7, Elixir 3

Submitted by motmot817 a Weekend Warrior from Philippines

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2010

Strengths:    lightweight for an all-mountain bike. great suspension.

Weaknesses:    too little clearance in the chain stay. mud easily accumulate.

Bottom Line:
great all around bike.

Favorite Trail:   sta rosa, la mesa

Similar Products Used:   jamis xam2

Bike Setup:   full xt groupset, xt am wheelset, fox talas 36, full PRO fsr cockpit, e13 drs

Submitted by Brokenmechanism a Weekend Warrior from Bridgwater, UK

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent climber although you do have to wind the lyric fork down on longer steeper climbs otherwise the front tends to lift and wander. RP2 shock is excellent. Bike just seems to eat bumps. Fast decender and handles jumps and drops well. Bike feels light and agile despite on pedaly sections of singletrack despite the ammount of travel. Mine came with Kenda Nevegals, the dual compound Tomac signature edition one. Excellent grip on rocks and roots and inspire loads of confidence but they do drag on hard pack.

Weaknesses:    This is a noisy frame due to the large tubes. Cables and chain slap do make a lot of noise on rough decents. Would aggree that if you are using as a "push it up hoon it down" machine then consider a chain guide of some sort. Not a fan of the Shimano SLX groupset/ SLX Shaddow rear mech. Pain to set up well and as soon as it gets muck in it it stops functioning well. I switched to SRAM after about 3 weeks. Bonty finishing kit looks ok and is functional but will upgrade bars, stem etc in the future.

Bottom Line:
Great value for money, i think its a bike that can be ridden all day just as much as it can be chucked down the side of a mountain. Yes there are are few minor niggles with the contact points but in my oppinion what ever bike you buy its never going to have your perfect set up on it unless its a full custom build.

Favorite Trail:   The Wall, South Wales, Scotland trails

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Chain

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose Teocali Super, Cannondale Jekyll. The trek makes my others feel like a hardtail on the decents.

Bike Setup:   Fox RP2, Rock Shox Lyric U-Turn, Avid Juicy 5's, SRAM X9. Kenda Nevegals front and rear or Conti mountain king on front and maxis ignitor on rear depending on condition.

Submitted by Bcolburn a Downhiller from Golden Colorado

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2009

Strengths:    It's fun for gnar cross country trails and is extremely light plus a good jumper

Weaknesses:    the shimano slx rear derailer that comes stock on it doesn't fit the frame so the derailer hanger breaks after when you ride hella gnar trails or jump alot

Bottom Line:
if you want to use the bike mostly for freeride, don't get it, if you ride gnar x-country trails get it

Favorite Trail:   Trestles Dowhill