Trek Remedy 6 All Mountain Full Suspension

• Bontrager Race Disc
  • Shimano Deore XT

Submitted by Bryan Sell from Syracuse

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2008

Strengths:    Well balanced, good climber, feels strong without the weight, corners okay, versatile, easy peddling in most situations.

Weaknesses:    Bottom braket height is a bit too high, components are for use on the lowest end of the all mountain spectrum, the strong feeling is a bit deceiving.

Bottom Line:
Because my time for riding has become short, I bought this bike based on reviews and because of the warranty. My cranks would not stay tightened and thus became damaged. The mechanic at the shop taught me that the warranty is as only as good as the mechanic as he was not willing to go to bat against Trek. Knowing Trek, they probably would have helped me out better if it weren't for this guy. I really wish I could slam this guy on here.

At any rate, the bike's components aren't going to suffer drops (as Trek's advertisements claim) from daily ridng. If you are an infrequent rider who takes drops, then this bike will do just fine. If you ride a lot and are on the more aggressive end of the all-mountain scale, spend your money on something else.

With this bike, I worry more about breaking something than being thrown from the bike and hurting myself. It's become an exercise in conservation.

Keep in mind that the term "all-mountain" is very difficult to define. My concept of all-mountin is a bit more aggressive than what this bike can deliver. I like the frame for the most part, but would apprecciate some stronger components. The carbon handle bars make me nervous and the wheels do not stay true for long, thus decreasing my confidnence in the bike on long and rigorous hauls. I'll likely replace the components as they break and will go back to building up my own bikes. I might even try to sell the bike. To be fair it's not a bad bike and I probably should have tried to find a demo first. Do your research on this bike before you buy and don't assume that your warranty is going to help you.

The bike should be classified as being "almost an all-mountain" or a heavy cross country full suspension bike.

Favorite Trail:   Skytop

Purchased At:   Bikery

Similar Products Used:   I've used a large variety of bikes from down hill to cross country race bikes in the never ending search to find a ride that suits my needs.

Bike Setup:   Stock for 2007

Submitted by Scott Grooms a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2007

Strengths:    Nice Hayes carbon brakes. Frame design. All around quality for price.

Weaknesses:    Race lite wheelset. The rear one cracked on first heavy ride out. 5ft drop at the top of Porcupine rim. Will be replacing with a stronger DT Swiss set.

Bottom Line:
This is a great trail bike for the price. I was very lucky and scored a basically new bike for 850$!!!! I could't believe it. After upgrading the fork with the x-firm coil it performs great. I am used to Fox air but this one is not too far behind considering the cost. The wheelset is on the skimmpy side for a 6 inch trail bike. I planned on replacing them when they wore out, just ended up being sooner than later. I would recommend this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Slayer 70 (stolen!!)

Bike Setup:   Stock except for X-firm coil in fork. Will be upgrading the wheelset to DT Swiss and seatpost to Thompson Elite setback. Havn't decided what tire is appropriate yet.

Submitted by Scott Grooms a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2007

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Slayer 70 (stolen!!)

Submitted by Steven Mancuso a Racer from New Jersey,USA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2007

Strengths:    It is well balanced,, pedals very efficiently for a 6 inch bike and handles ruff terrain very well

Weaknesses:    I like the bike alot but it breaks if you push it. I broke the rear triangle , left side right by the disk brake, second time exact same spot. YES Trek warranties AND they optioned me a newer design 2008 frame,, but I declined because it needs a new fork and new headset. maybe next time

Bottom Line:
The frame cracked twice in the same spot. The stock headset is a lower end unit and it went after 9 months or so of abuse. The stock seat clamp lever broke. I replaced with a regular allen key type. Other than that its a great bike. I am going to stick with this for a while as my weekend fun trail bike.

Favorite Trail:   a dirty one

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   none really. I have ridden a stumpjumper,enduropro,and an intense 6.6. They are nice bikes too. They cost more though.. For the money you can't beat the trek. On top of this I have all trek bikes .

Bike Setup:   stock except for complete XT groupset, lockon grips, cane creek headset off a higher end trek bike, and KENDA KINETICS tires.

Submitted by tom chub a Downhiller from boxford

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2007

Strengths:    Amzing bike extremly light and durable, can crash it and is still ready to go, increadibly quiet

Weaknesses:    stock forks are weak and thir gear is useless

Bottom Line:
extremley nice bike, can be used all around, urban riding w/e ... very light for good uphils a few upgrades and it become an all around perfect bike

Favorite Trail:   bradley palmer state park

Purchased At:   western cycles MA.

Similar Products Used:   kona coilair

Bike Setup:   Marzocci 888 rc's, e-thirteen rock gaurd, 8inch hayze nine, weirwolf 2.5's and maxxis 2.7's in the front

Submitted by Dan Pavett a Weekend Warrior from Wales uk

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2007

Strengths:    Very fast over a rough terrain and the 3 way swinger falk never gives too much or too little whilst riding. The bike feels safe under pressure and inspires the confidence to go faster it also climbs remarkably well for a bike of the weight. The hayes 9 carbon brakes are beautiful.

Weaknesses:    Front suspension would have been far better purchased from fox or rock shox but then this would increase the cost. A small detail forks can be changed and their not that bad you just get too much travel.Won't take a 203mm disc at the rear.The crank set creaks and feels flimsy needs to go!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
A great all round bike that can do the cross counrty and have a damn good bash at the down hill, its absolutely nuke proof and when you get rid of all the standard spec bontraeger equipment its absolutely fantastic, its fast agile and beautifully set up and extremely forgiving.Once modified it really does get full marks and ticks all the boxes.A set of fox talos or rock shox lyrics and a set of xt cranks are next on the cards me thinks.

Favorite Trail:   afan argoed south wales

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Red kite cycles

Similar Products Used:   Scott Ransom, white 46, Giant Reign

Bike Setup:   Much changed,xt 2 way shifters, hope 203mm front discs and 180mm rears, hope headset, skewers, Easton monkey lite carbon handle bars, thomson elite seat post and stem,dmr v12 pedals, sdg bel-air saddle,race face grips, xt front mech,carbon fibre spacers, panaracer rampage 2.35 tyres, mavic crossmax enduro wheels and hubs

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Easton, PA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2007

Strengths:    Frame, gears, brakes, most of the other components, off-road capability, durability, price paid compared to MSRP.

Weaknesses:    Fork setup from factory is too soft and requires an x-firm spring for riders over 200lbs. (Manitou Nixon Comp--I like the fork overall, but it's only setup for a 160 rider).

Bottom Line:
I really like this bike and have used it hard in the short period of time I've owned it. It takes off-road hits from rocks and roots to small drops with ease.

The soft spring in the fork causes severe brake dive, which led to a pretty nasty end-over; however, I managed to walk away with only a couple of bruised ribs and torn shoulder (not a scratch on the bike though thank goodness!).

With the present front spring configuration, I have to keep the air pressure down to ~100 psi in the Swinger 3 to alleviate the brake dive and keep it balanced for my riding style--this makes going up hill lots of fun!

Once I get the proper spring and I'm able to add some psi to the rear shock, I will provide another review.

For the price that I paid new for this bike at my LBS after some negotiating, I can't find too much to wrong with it.

Purchased At:   Bike Line

Bike Setup:   The only mod will be the x-firm spring when I can get one from the LBS, which is proving difficult with Manitou / Hayes not having it readily available.

Submitted by D-Ryd a Weekend Warrior from East Lansing, MI,

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2007

Strengths:    quality component spec, tough as nails frame, stable platform rear shock, descends confidently and quickly, climbs great for this style of bike,

Weaknesses:    2006 model has a rather basic fork (Nixon Comp), if you hit drops bigger than 6 ft. constantly, or you weigh more than 200 lbs., you will have to swap out the fork spring and the rims. The rims are Bontrager Race Disc. The tires roll slow on any terrain. The 2.35 Bontrager Big Earls are actually a heavy side 2.5, no kidding, they are huge.

Bottom Line:
WOW! I bought this bike at a closeout price and I couldn't be happier. I didn't have the $ but at this price I can "afford" to live broke for a while. The Manitou 3-way shock is simple and easy to dial in, the bars are Race X Carbons, Brakes are Hayes HFX-9 with carbon levers.
This bike is tough as nails. I am a pretty aggressive rider with a pension for wrecks. I am also 270 lbs. It has stood up to all I dish at it; rock gardens at speed, 4-5 ft. drops, ladder drops, logpiles, rock walls, sand, etc. If you are under 180lbs., good luck destroying this bike. And if you do, who cares b/c the frame comes with a lifetime warranty and Trek has excellent customer service.
Being a bigger guy, this bike is an excellent trail bike with true all-mountain capability. It climbs very well if you stay seated and spin. It bombs any downhill as well. With a wheel swap and some better rolling tires, the remedy 6 will dish out al you can throw at it. An excellent bike that you can ride anywhere.
The 2007 seven model looks to be an even better bike because it has avid hydraulic brakes, and a Nixon Elite Fork which has air compression and the ability to equip it with on-the-fly "Infinite Travel" adjust, and the 2006 model does not.

Purchased At:   Velocipede Peddler: East Lansing, MI

Bike Setup:   Essentially stock with a heavier spring in the front fork. I will be replacing the rims with a set of Mavic Crossmax ST's and 2.35 Kenda Nevegal tires.

Submitted by fenwayfan a Cross Country Rider from Cockaponset State Forest, CT

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2007

Strengths:    Everything....the bike performs beautifully in every terrain, although downhilling is best. When I Know a long up hill is approaching I will simply tighten the rear suspension.

Weaknesses:    None yet....I don't have problems with chain suck as everone has described previously. That was my initial fear after buying the bike

Bottom Line:
Would highly recommend. Shop around. I essentially got a brand new bike (except for a little dirt in the corners of the frame and under the seat) There were a couple of scratches on the frame, but essentially I got a brand new bike for a fraction of the cost of a new one. I wouldn't pay $2400 for one for $800 hell yeah. I could't believe it when I won. I brought the bike to my local shop and the guys were astounded. Great deal but a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Secret

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, Specialized, Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   Mostly Stock..some minor modifications

Submitted by Richard a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2006

Strengths:    Great geometry
Great suspension
Nice component spec
Some people knock the hayes brakes, but I have never had a problem with them, and they modulate well.
This is a very confidence inspiring bike.

Weaknesses:    Front lifts very easily on steep climbs, especially with tight turns. But that is to be expected for this type of bike
Not overly steady at low speed. But who wants to be going slow anyway...lol

Bottom Line:
This bike is great, I had a Trek 4500 hardtail before this, man that was a tough bike to take down hills. The R6 is a whole new ballgame. The bike is so confidence inspiring, and tackles anything you can throw at it. The only problem I have had is letting go, after riding the hardtail. Now I just say to myself the bike can do it, and go for it, and the bike does it.
This has meant that I have moved up the chain in our riding group, as all too often, other riders have to brake, where I can blast through without braking.

My descent speeds have increased by over 400% on this bike, and I have attempted many obstacles that were just deadly on my old 4500.

Some will complain about the weight, but to tell you the truth, considering the build, this is a light bike, and when you are on it, it feels like a feather.

Trek have a real winner here. Excellent job guys.

Bike Setup:   Added Lizard skin lockon grips...sweet
Crank Brothers Mallet pedals
Replaced shimano shifters and rear der, with Sram x7. Glad I did, they rock

Submitted by Steven Mancuso a Racer from Haskell , New Jersey USA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2006

Strengths:    This is my second review,, see my first review for my first opinion. I still have to say,, great bike. I really ride this bike hard. No big drops really,, 3 feet maybe, but just ruff rock gardens,, etc. I live in Jersey,, so thats mostly what we ride on.. I actually broke the frame already. Cracked the rear triangle right at the skewer. Trek warrantied that so bike is at the shop now getting put back together. Wanted to update the review here with the latest. I have to say this bike is very confidence inspiring. I don't think twice about hitting hard sections with it. Suspension is super soft yet hold the bike in a straight line on flats. Super balanced. Great all mountain bike. DEFINATLEY not a racer but thats a given. Its a 6 inch fun trail bike. Thats all. Very fun at that. I use it 3-4 times a week. I do race a hardtail Trek and that is all I use that for. The remedy is my fun machine

Weaknesses:    Hopefull the new rear triangle will have beefier joints at the rear.. Lots on shifting issues BUT like I said, I ride this bike hard so it may just be because of that. PLUS its a 6 inch bike so the shifting is gonna be compromised. I like the bike,, recommended

Bottom Line:
Good fun machine. Take it anywhere. Over the river and through the woods..lol.. Its a good epic day ride.

Favorite Trail:   Ringwood

Purchased At:   The Bike Pad

Similar Products Used:   none really

Bike Setup:   I swapped out the stock tires with KENDA Kinetics Stick-E 2.35.. Swapped out the BONTRAGER cranks with XT's, also rock ring, eliminated the big ring. You wont use it anyway on this bike and if you are you are on the wrong bike,buy a cross country bike. Seat post is now an X lite carbon one from BONTRAGER,, Race Lite stem. That saved no weight really. Don't even know why I did it. Who cares about weight on this thing anyhow.

Submitted by Ben B a Weekend Warrior from WH CT

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2006

Strengths:    everything, fork, frame, parts and the WHEELS and TIRES both kick alot of butt. I loved the bike. tubeless tires. climbing.

Weaknesses:    nothing. just not having enough time to ride it :(

Bottom Line:
sweet bike if u want something in full suspension but not FR or DH but only for all mountain and XC. this is the bike for you. The 17" i had was 32.40 pounds but u never felt the weight. if u want something to do drops on this is not for you this bike is for the guy looking for a FS bike for hard XC of just wants a XC with 6" of travel.

Similar Products Used:   Haro X2, spec big hit some iron hose FR bike.

Bike Setup:   stock with the stock tubeless tires and wheels.

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Coon Rapids, MN

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2006

Strengths:    This bike is awesome. I bought it three months ago to upgrade from my 2000 Trek 7000 (which was stolen). I LOVED my 7000...it was a great X-Country bike. But before it was stolen I was getting into more freeride type trails and the hardtail made things rough. I desided to purchase the Remedy 6 because of it's versitial set up. If you want to go for a long xc ride it has all the gears you need and rear suspension movement is minimal when climbing. I have only gone on two xc rides...because I've benn sucked into the world of Bike Parks. The Remedy 6 holds it's own. I've taken 5 foot drops and it feels like you're landing on pillows. I've taken this bike down some sick downhill coarses...and the only thing holding this bike back was my own abilities. NOTE...this is no DH bike but, like I said it holds it's own.

Weaknesses:    Some riders will say this bike is heavy...but it's not a cross country bike. For an all mountain bike it comes in at a very managable weight. If you're looking for something super light...look at a pure xc bike. The tires are monsters...lol. Too much for xc riding in my opinion. But, for freeriding they're perfect! The brakes require a level of maintanence that I'm not use to. I'm already in need of some bleeding...but no real complaints.

Bottom Line:
This is an outstanding all mountain bike. Trek hit the nail square on the head with this model. If you're looking for a bike you can take a 40 mile cross country ride one day and take on the toughest trails a bike park has to ofer the next...this is the bike for you. Bottom line...I love it.

Favorite Trail:   Bad Wildbad Bike Park

Purchased At:   Maple Grove Cycle and Fitness (Great Bike Shop)

Similar Products Used:   I can't say I've used anything similar.

Bike Setup:   All stock except for...Lizard Skin lock on grips. I like gummier grips then what comes stock. I also added nashbar platform pedals (which I bought cause they were super cheap and I was broke. They turned out to be great pedals). But if I go clipless I'll through the stock shimano's back on.

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Boise ID

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2006

Strengths:    Very solid, very stable. It's very confidence inspiring and it has no problems taking moderately hard hits/sane person drop offs, etc. It's the best exploring bike I've ever owned (by that I mean it deals with surprises very well). At first the tires felt very heavy, but now I'm exploring stuff that I was afraid to do before like some of the trails around Idaho that have broken lava which is sharp as hell. I haven't done the lift thing yet but I plan on doing so at Tamarack in the next couple weeks. I have a love hate thing with the fork but I like it much more since purchasing the heavier spring. At first it was just too soft. I know a harder hit brings on more resistance but mentally was just too soft. With the heavier spring it feels much more balanced. It still makes some top out noises and clunking but its minimal. Just more than my old short travel Judy had.

Weaknesses:    It's a little heavy. It's very big. The valve for the shock is close to the seat tube which makes the spv hard to regulate.

Bottom Line:
I got mine for 2200 and I love it. I bought it in 7/2006 so you can date this article and its now mid August. It's definitely a tractor going uphill but it's hell on wheels over rocks and rollers. I have a Garmin 305 too so I am definitely going faster than with my old 1999 specialized fsr and can prove it. Definitely not a racebike but great fun overall. It compares very favorably cost wise against its competitors. When I compare it to the 66, Im not quite sure what I'd be paying the extra money for so definitely a high value rating.

Favorite Trail:   No favorite

Purchased At:   George's

Similar Products Used:   I compared against Enduro, Fat Possum, Trek Liquid (which I could have gotten cheap but this was better feeling bike), Kona. Honestly, they were all pretty good bikes. The trek seemed to fit me from a riding position standpoint right out of the box.

Bike Setup:   I did go tubeless and the heavier stock spring

Submitted by Guy Lombard a Cross Country Rider from Morocco, Asni

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2006

Strengths:    excellent geometery. I ordered the XL size, seems first to be heavy but it is an excellent climber. The rocker Link and SPV absorb eberything single bumps as well the manitou.

Weaknesses:    None; just a creaking noise coming from the pedals (maybe because it is new)

Bottom Line:
I just recived it for 3 weeks, and I totally found in love with this bike. It is a perfect all mountain bike agressive and with comfort. I choose a remedy 6 because I am living in a remoted place and I wanted to be sure to get a strong and robust frame & components (I am 98Kg for 1.94cm). It seems that I done the right choice (thanks to my bike dealer in France Nicolas Martin). Anyway, whatever what people are saying about Trek, they do only very good bikes.
I just fighted to get the right pression on my SPV, the Manitou sie do not provide any clear information how to set it. 4 chillis for the value because a R6 cost 3000€ in Europe!

Favorite Trail:   Asni