Trek Liquid 25 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.31/5 (58 Reviews)
MSRP : $1999.99

Submitted by zoothslooth a Weekend Warrior from Cordova, TN

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2011

Strengths:    Cushy, easy on the rear end.

Weaknesses:    Cushy, lots of pedal bob on the uphill, I hated the rear shock.

Bottom Line:
I really disliked the bike, even though I really wanted to love it. I guess all mountain is not my style so maybe it was just a poor choice for location and riding style. I never could get the rear shock stiff enough, I felt like I wasted so much energy on the uphill. I sold the bike and got a full rigid steel 29er and a Fisher Paragon, I prefer either of them over the liquid. If you're looking for a cushy, el dorado cadillac riding style bike, this could be the one. If you want a responsive, maneuverable bike, you might wanna pass on the liquid. Coincidentally my brother who is a few inches shorter and lighter than me loves his liquid. One difference that I noticed b/n the liquid and other FS bikes I've owned is the rear shock manufacturer. I'll only buy a bike with a Fox rear shock. That's my bias now, after owning this liquid for several years.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere there's singletrack

Purchased At:   Built myself

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Epic
Trek Fuel

Bike Setup:   XT drivetrain, hayes carbon 9 hydraulic brakes. WTB tubeless wheelset. Manitou One front shock

Submitted by 2eyebox a Weekend Warrior from east coast

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2010

Strengths:    Versatility! The bike is very good to great at just about everything.

Weaknesses:    I really can't come up with any weaknesses...that is none that couldn't be the RIDERS weakness.

Bottom Line:
this is for the 2005.If you can only afford ONE mtb...but do different types of riding,look no further.I only changed the fork because the Manitou black is not for 230lb riders (IMHO)but my lighter 180lb buddy loved it.I wanted to get the rp23 rear shock..but the swinger 3way does an AWESOME job once you get it set to your preference.no fumbling for the propedal switch(like some ppl i ride with)Take a shock pump ride all day...pump the SPV valve just until it stays locked then reduce by 1/2 lb increments after riding 30 minutes(it takes about that long for the shock to totally adjust)write those digits down and set it and forget it. The bike performs well in all areas but its long wheelbase is not the best in technical uphill swithbacks,but what it lacks there it more than makes up for everywhere else..especially long descents and ground obstacles.The Swinger 3way turns it into a hardtail when you start hammering the pedals making it a surprisingly good climber.we all switch bikes around while riding and everyone who rode it was impressed at how it is so good at so much...AND at how well the swinger performed.No frame issues here and I am 230 lbs with no gear...the bike can take a pounding.

Purchased At:   local sale

Similar Products Used:   Cdale prophet,g fisher cake,giant trance,

Bike Setup:   mostly stock except for fox float in front,king headset,carbon seatpost,rhythm elite wheels,2.4 mutanoraptor front tire,bonty jones acx-b in rear

Submitted by TuckerC a Weekend Warrior from Helena, Montana

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2009

Strengths:    Frame is very strong. Nice components for the price. Climbs great.

Bottom Line:
Great bike! I would recomend to anyone to is seriously into mountain biking who wants a bike that is a great climber but is also very good and strong for the downhill. I am planning on getting into racing a little and I think this bike will be fantastic! I am in high school and all my friends that I bike with payed way more for their bikes and I have the nicest and most fun bike out of all of them.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Helena Ridge

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock Haro Shift R1

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for tires and saddle

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2008

Strengths:    Absolutely bombproof. A real tank.

Weaknesses:    Standover height is a little on the hight side, even for my 6'1" self. Stock tyres.

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike for 3 and a bit years now and it has been subject to some real abuse and a few bad crashes. No sign of the frame cracking or any damage at all as some others are complaining about, and I weigh 95kg. As for the suspension problems people are talking about, take a shock pump on your first ride and spend some time fiddling with the pressures, its not set up right straight out of the box. Long wheelbase makes it a little tricky on real tight and twisty single track but its not meant to be a XC racer, or big huckin' freerider either. Use it for its intended purpose and it should give you years of faithful service.

Purchased At:   Gawler Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Raceline Comp.

Bike Setup:   Stock apart from new Kenda Nevegal tyres.

Submitted by Mark Twitchell a Weekend Warrior from Redding, CA

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2008

Strengths:    Had a good time on this bike

Weaknesses:    The frame broke

Bottom Line:
I posted back in 02/05, that I'd broke 2 of the carbon fiber-stayed Liquids and then was upgraded to the newer model, well, here it is 3 years later and my "new" frame just broke. I's noticed some squaking, but never figured it out until now. It broke right at the top of the seat stay gussett where this connects to the top tube. The top tube broke clean through. I'm appreciatin' Trek's lifetime frame warranty about now. Don't know what they're going to do yet.

Favorite Trail:   Chimney (Whiskeytown)

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Previous model Liquids

Bike Setup:   Parts from prior bike (Psylo fork, etc,) frame from latest Liquid

Submitted by Mike Considine a Cross Country Rider from Londonderry, NH

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2007

Strengths:    I purchased the Liquid frame (only) to replace my broken NRS frame. The Liquid has typical performance qualities of other bikes in this price range. The bike/frame is nothing special.

Weaknesses:    I was looking for a solid frame from a reputable company - I found neither. I cracked the frame at the bottom weld on the seat tube (just above the bottom bracket) following just 6 months of use. Trek agreed to replace the frame but 5 weeks have passed - no frame, no bike, no riding.

Bottom Line:
Trek obviously has a problem with the reliability of their welded frames (see other reviews on this page). Trek also has little interest in getting me back on the trails. I’m one unhappy customer and would not recommend Trek products.

Favorite Trail:   FOMBA Maze

Purchased At:   Naults Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   K2 Razorback, Cannondale Jekyl, Giant NRS

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT

Submitted by Amandio a Cross Country Rider from Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2007

Strengths:    Easy to handle through tight single track or faster downhill riding. The suspension does a great job of absorving most bumps. After 3 years still not had any problems with the shock or the fork.

Weaknesses:    I broke the frame and it took 6 weeks to get a replacement.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up post from a couple of years back.
When I read reviews of people braking frames I though these were crazzy guys doing monster drops but guess what I broke my frame on tiny 2 foot drop. In actual fact now that I think about it I had a crack in the weld above the bottom bracket the entire spring last year. It was annoying as hell as I couldn't figure out where the creaking noise was coming from. I tried adjusting the head set back and forth, readjsuted the brake calipers, replaced pads, checked hubs etc... but the creaking never went away unti.... the frame broke. It broke exactly where people were saying it did above the bottom bracket at the weld. Trek replaced the frame with a brand new frame which I believe is from a Treck Remedy. The new frame is a beaut. It is an improvement in that it has a lower top tube which gives me more standover clearance. The only draw back is that I have lost some climbing ability which this bike has been awsome at climbing but it is still quite strong. Overall I have been using this bike for over 3 years and I am very happy with it. There is nothing that at my level of riding I have not been able to do. It can do alot more than I have thrown at it so far but I am improving so hopefully the new frame will hold out. Waiting six weeks for a replacement frame was a real pain since I do not have another bike as backup. It's too bad Trek has stopped making this bike because it is a great all around bike. Light enough to keep up with the with the weight weenie bikes and strong enough that you are not worried about braking something when you hit some rough stuff. Geat bike too bad for the frame braking. If it were not for that and the 6 weeks down time I would gladly give it 5 chillies all around.

Favorite Trail:   Copeland Forest

Purchased At:   Boyd Source For Sports

Similar Products Used:   None so far. My previous bike was a Schwinn Hardtail. Have ridden a buddy's Santa Cruz Blur but like the liquid better.

Bike Setup:   Stock except the cranks which I have upgraded to Shimano XT.

Submitted by Mark Twitchell a Weekend Warrior from Redding, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2007

Strengths:    Durable

Weaknesses:    See Below

Bottom Line:
I last wrote a review in Feb, 2005. At that time, I just broke the 2nd of 2 of the initial Liquid Frames, the ones with the Carbon Fiber seat stays. The Bike shop replaced the entire frame, bottom bracket, shock, etc. with the new 2005 frame with normal, (pivoting) seat stays. I gotta say, it's still going strong. Our theory here is that the carbon fiber stays were stressing the frame to the point where it broke (both frames broke almost exactly after 1 year, and both broke at the same spot,which I notice is where other Liquids have broken). So, it appears to me that Trek has fixed the problem, and I'm a happy camper. I'd buy another Trek, no problem. (and thanks again to all at The Bike Shop.)
Funny thing, the only other frame I've broken (did I mention I'm 275 lb?) was the old Fisher Montare curved seatpost, elevated chainstay, short coupled thingie that he built for Moab climbing (shudder!). I broke 3 of those babies at about 6 months each. All at the same point just below where the chain stays hit the seatpost. Kinda like the Liquid, they weren't around long. After #3, Rex put me on an Aquila. Now there was a nice, well balanced bike!

Favorite Trail:   The Chimney

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Earlier Liquids, Pro-Flex 855, various Fisher hardtail bikes

Bike Setup:   2005 Frame & shock, other parts from 2004 Liquid (Psylo Fork, XT deraillers, Hayes Brakes, etc.

Submitted by nathaniel allen-slaba a Downhiller from bellingham, washington U.S

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2006

Strengths:    OK xc bike, nothing else.

Weaknesses:    really unstable in the air, does horrible at drops, REALLY bouncy if trail is even a little technical.

Bottom Line:
don't buy this bike if you are even thinking about getting into freeride. it doesn't inspire confidence, shuddery on technical trails, and the suspension is nothing but trouble. i've already had to replace the rear shock, and my rear deralleur was giving me alot of trouble before i bought my new bike. the only people i'd recommend it to are the occasional xc rider. other than that, this bike just plain sucks.

Favorite Trail:   CBC

Purchased At:   Kulshan cycles

Similar Products Used:   kona mokomoko

Bike Setup:   regular components, didn't upgrade much

Submitted by Phil Pugliese a Weekend Warrior from NTS, Pa

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2006

Strengths:    Balance and versatility. I demoed a couple of bikes before I found a deal on this one off of CL, it rocks.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Buying a used bike is always a bit of a crapshoot. I lucked out on this one. It was dead immaculate, I don't think the bike had seed 10 miles on it. I am very hapy wit the bike for my riding needs, I can't see me needing anything more.

Favorite Trail:   Kton 7-11

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel 8

Bike Setup:   Totally stock

Submitted by Tetra a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2006

Strengths:    Looks good. Reasonable components. Nice suspension. Very comfortable and solid ride

Weaknesses:    Slightly heavy, therefore not too agile.
Frames snap! I had two frames snap on me above bottom bracket within 3 years. (I notice several reviewers had the same issue). Was just doing some single track both times. Now, you'd expect Trek to do more than just replace the mainframe (making me keep all the old linkage and components) on the second failure, but no! Trek deny that there is an inherrent flaw in this bike and made no effort to ease the pain of disapointment. It took a letter from my solicitor to get any redress. How can I ever trust Trek again? The fact that they no longer produce these bikes says it all. Absolutely disgusted with Trek customer support

Bottom Line:
This is quite a nice bike to ride, but I cannot recommend this bike because of the inherrent design fault.
How can Trek produce this kind of bike for the money and allow this kind of failure?
I, for one, will be boycotting Trek. Shame, because they had a loyal customer before this - I'd been riding treks for over 15 years.

There are many comparable bikes on the market for the money that do not snap.

Similar Products Used:   Only hardtails before the Liquid

Bike Setup:   Standard

Submitted by Colby a Cross Country Rider from Great Falls, MT USA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2006

Strengths:    Nearly Everything! The bike is super soft and yet when it comes to climbing a steep technical climb, the thing is a billy goat! It is so incredibly versitile!

Weaknesses:    I noticed the other day that the cassette is a SRAM and it's running on an XT rear deraileur. I havent noticed any problems with it, but it kind of bothers me. The crankset isnt much to marvel at either, but is still pretty nice.

Bottom Line:
Behold! The Nimble Tank! This thing is like riding two pillows down a mountain, but is stiff as a shot of Jack when you're climbing. I can make climbs on this thing that I cant make on my Bianchi X-C full suspension. A truly amazing machine!

Favorite Trail:   Mount 7 in Golden BC

Purchased At:   600

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by James McCabe a Cross Country Rider from B-Water

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2006

Strengths:    Pretty strong, sorta light for the bike. Rims are good... 8" in the front is nice, the Bonti. stuff is okay. Did I mention lock on grips? I like those...

Weaknesses:    Tires are horrible, fork is flexy... uhh that's about it.

Bottom Line:
Works well... thinking about making it lighter for racing... doubt it. Works great for just about anything you throw at it. Won't let you down!

Favorite Trail:   CR baby