Trek Liquid 10 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.36/5 (44 Reviews)

Submitted by kotasa a Weekend Warrior from san diego

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2011

Strengths:    Great on climbs, descents, technical spots

Weaknesses:    It's kind of heavy, can't hike a bike with it, needs better wheels

Bottom Line:
I am not a bike expert. I have owned five mountain bikes since I started riding in 1991. I would never have bought this bike except the salesman talked me into testing it out in the parking lot. My original intention was to get something light and cheaper like a Specialized Stumpjumper or Rockhopper. But now, seven years later, I think I like the Liquid overall for its good climbing, excellent suspension setup (replaced blown out Psylo with new Fox). I still miss not being able to hike a bike it. Oh, well, can't have everything.

Favorite Trail:   san juan

Purchased At:   out of business bike

Bike Setup:   Deore XT

Submitted by Jack Stanick a Weekend Warrior from High Point, NC, United States

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2008

Strengths:    overall great bike and i have had the bike for two years and never had to replace any major parts

Weaknesses:    none because when i crash which is my fault and when i break components

Bottom Line:
i love this bike and i would reccommend it to anyone whether a beginner or expert

Favorite Trail:   Northwood

Submitted by Dave Chapman a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, Wa, USA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2007

Strengths:    Great beginner all mountain bike. Got me going for what I could pay at the time.

Weaknesses:    Snapped the frame (SWING ARM)....BUT Trek replaced Swinarm with Trek Remedy SA and it kicked ass. The Psylo Is not great at all, but I rode almost everything with it with no problem. DON'T BLAME THE BIKE, BLAME THE RIDER!!!! although I have since upgraded big time

Bottom Line:
Look, this bike may have been bottom of the line, but I loved it. Then it got stolen and I was forced to get a new bike (remedy 66) which I love, but the liquid had the exact same soul. I've ridden Everything...but I LOve the TREK all mountain Feel. Get em and up grade em if you need, but the feel is like no other.

Favorite Trail:   Galbraith(?) Mt

Purchased At:   Greggs Greenlake (seattle)

Similar Products Used:   You name it, I've tried it (kinda)

Bike Setup:   XT drivetrain.

Submitted by Willem-Paul Nel a Racer from South Africa

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2007

Strengths:    exelint on any type of track

Bottom Line:
this is a exelint full suspension xc bike and a good freeride bike

Favorite Trail:   7 damms

Submitted by B Xott a Weekend Warrior from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2006

Strengths:    Still going strong, have taken on some hard-core downhill trails, though it isnt the best bike for that. Next bike will be more suited for bigger hits, travel etc.

Bottom Line:
Very happy with the weight and performance for the money I spent. I came from being a die-hard GT owner, (wasnt happy with the I-Drive from the year before). Makes me nervous seeing all the posts here about broken/cracked frames.. hope mine holds together...should. I dont do any huge hits/drops or gaps, so Im not too worried, but my riding is evolving, so probably will sell this bike in another year or so for more travel & strength in a bike.
Overrall - money well spent, and (still) happy with this bike!

Purchased At:   1400

Bike Setup:   Stock. except for seat & tires. Whoever sticks with the ass paddles that come with bikes are nuts.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, Ca

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2006

Strengths:    Good basic bike for the money.

Weaknesses:    Very soft front fork for any kind of serious downhill.
Weighs more than the average bike.

Bottom Line:
I have no regrets having bought this bike (although my SantaCruz riding partners sometimes tease me).

The bike has (had) a strong frame. A week ago the frame snapped completely through while I was on a downhill run. (It snapped at a weld right below where the front derailor clamps to the frame.) The bike held together and I was able to stop without a scratch. Trek will replace the frame (no cost) with a Remedy frame, but I'll be bikeless for 4-6 weeks! Come-on Trek, you can do better than that!

Favorite Trail:   Santa Cruz Mtns

Purchased At:   Reed's

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Added better tires and a Talus RLC front fork, and it vastly improved the downhill handling.

Submitted by Michael Langdon a Cross Country Rider from Orfordville, WI

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2006

Strengths:    Well built.

Weaknesses:    Stock Components

Bottom Line:
About a week ago I took the bike in to have the headset changed and they discovered a crack in the frame. They had a new frame and everything switched over in a week.

This is why Trek rocks the biking world. Michael's Cycles did a fantastic job.

Favorite Trail:   Pheasant Farm

Purchased At:   Michael's Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   Manitou Black Super Air 120mm, SRAM 7, Sram 3 shifters, Hayes disc brakes, Bontrager Race Crank, S-3 Cane Creek Headset.

Submitted by Fa8tal a Cross Country Rider from Fort Knox, KY

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2006

Strengths:    I picked this up on Ebay, since I only wanted the frame, so the price was great, I sold most of the parts (on Ebay) and made about $500 back.
Frame is strong in all the key areas, the pivits are smooth and don't make noise. The TALAS rear shock is only missing SPV, but if you run the air a little high it will remove most bobbing going up a hill.

Weaknesses:    The frame weight is high for a medium all-mountain-bike. At the same weight you can find frames that can take drops better with more travel, but the price will also go up.

Bottom Line:
Great bike if it will match your style of riding. I like the tuff path with obsticles, and hills. I don't hit big drops, but like some air time, but I have the weight at a good balance for my riding. (About 29-30 lbs)
I tried to race this set up (sport class 23 miles) in place of my fuel, and was suprized, my time was slower, but recovery time was short.
The two best parts where the fork and wheelset, I have the infinate trvel fork, this keeps the fron tire on the ground for big/steep hills, and the wheelset (1.8k) can take a little beating but still hold up well.
If you ride like myself and don't mind to up-grade some parts, you will have a great bike, or you can buy a liquid higher grade (same frame) with the parts on it.
If you are mostly XC, Keep looking and spend more, this isn't for you.
If your hard core free ride, your going to break this bike, so keep looking.
My rating is for the All-mountain type of bike, for other riding, I can't give a fair rating.
4 peppers for value, low number (10) but same frame as (55).
4 peppers for overall, My parts cost a bit, but I picked up the frame cheap and used. But new, your cost would be high to pay sticker and then replace with better parts.

Favorite Trail:   OCT

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   C-dale Jekyll 3000, Trek Fuel, Specialized enduro

Bike Setup:   Manitou black platnum fork, Monkey carbon bars, thompson stem/post, fsa xc-300 wheels, Xpedo clipless pedals, the rest is shimano XT (short cage, bash guard)

Submitted by Michel Nales a Weekend Warrior from Apeldoorn The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2005

Strengths:    Handling,stif& fast frame ,

Weaknesses:    Bontrager & sram products !!trailbarr tires

Bottom Line:
I Loved this bike ,the standard setup was not great so have changed some parts .
The best bike there is.

Purchased At:   germany

Similar Products Used:   specialized enduro m4 ,cannondale jekyl

Bike Setup:   Psylo sl /lo ,complete xt group ,schwalbe racingralph, mavic/xt wheels ,

Submitted by dunc coulby a Cross Country Rider from oshawa canada

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2005

Strengths:    good on downhill good jumper -have ridden this almost 2 years now and overall have been pleased but recent broken frame has soured rating

Weaknesses:    alot of bob on uphill bit heavy slow on uphills
just broke frame at weld above bottom bracket and I'm only 160 lbs and only a semi aggressive rider

Bottom Line:
for the price paid -$1450 canadian was good value and big upgrade from previous bike -overall was pleased -bought it for tougher going and heavier frame so breaking frame was bit of surprise

Purchased At:   toronto

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn rocket 88

Bike Setup:   stock but xt rear derailer wtb rocket 5 seat after stock one broke

Submitted by garrett burnham a Cross Country Rider from mission viejo/california

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2004

Strengths:    comfort smoothness when riding and holds up great. you can do anaything with this bike downhill, jump, freeride, cross country even road rides great.

Weaknesses:    bottom bracket makes a creaking noise when you peadal

Bottom Line:
best all around bike for anyone.

Favorite Trail:   whiting ranch

Purchased At:   rock n road cyclery

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz superlight

Bike Setup:   fox suspension

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Erie, Colorado USA

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2004

Strengths:    This bike is awesome in so many ways ! If you are going up hill with a bit of tech. or going down fast rolling over the water bars, it keeps up and gives the biker all that he or she needs and wants ! This bike keeps on going!

Weaknesses:    I would keep in mind the xt vs the lx de-railer... I have the lx... already ordered the xt for the rear ! A must have for this bike !

Bottom Line:
As I found out about this bike, looking for an all around ride that can take the dirt trail, the mud, the rock, and the road at times, this bike can handle it all ! The rear shock offers the flex. of different terrain and the front is well suited for a good tough trail all day long. Overall, this bike is Great !

Favorite Trail:   Hall Ranch

Submitted by Richard McCaslin a Weekend Warrior from Bothell, WA. USA

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2004

Strengths:    5" travel, Hayes Hydraulic disc for under $1000.

Weaknesses:    Me on the saddle.

Bottom Line:
Great Bike for the Buck. Has taken all of the abuse I send it's way. Great all mountain Bike. Trek lifetime guarantee on the frame can't be beat.

You should buy if you need a bike that can handle a little of everything and handle it well.

Favorite Trail:   Japanese Gulch, Mukilteo, WA

Purchased At:   Bicycle Centers of Everett

Similar Products Used:   First Mountain Bike

Bike Setup:   Stock with XT front and rear. Removed large chain ring replaced with race face bash guard.

Submitted by Bert a Cross Country Rider from Bronx, New York

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2004

Strengths:    Strong frame, rocker-link suspension, For Talas Shock, Bontrager select rims.

Weaknesses:    The Psylo C fork (no adjustable rebound, changed to firmer springs twice; still too plushy). weight. Hayes Hydraulic brakes (swicthed to Avid CPS), stem and handlebar.

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks! the suspension on this bike is really awesome, I love the way it handles the terrain. It kills me a little on the climbs, but ity doesn't take awayfrom it's overall performance. I planning to upgrade the fork to a Manitou Minute 2 w/ 130mm of travel and save a little weight in the front.
What else can I say? On the the technicals and downhills is where this bike really shines! If you're a weight-conscious xc rider, this ain't the bike for you. If you're a pure trail rider who needs a bike that can mix it up in various terrain, this is the bike for you!

Favorite Trail:   Sprain Ridge Park, NY

Purchased At:   Metro Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar 4+, Jamis Dakar Pro, Gt i-Drive...

Bike Setup:   I swicthed the saddle, seatpost (Thomson), handlebar (easton 2"), stem (bontrager 4" 10 deg), occasionally switch the rear tire to a panaracer 2.1 (helps me on the climbs!) Eliminated the 44 tooth chainring w/ a bashguard. And replaced the clip pedals w/ Azonic platforms.

Submitted by nick a Cross Country Rider from birmingham, alabama, usa

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2004

Strengths:    Well the price for one, but also i think that the adjustable travel on the talas is huge, i couldnt tell you about the drive train b/c i switched to xtr...THE DISCS ROCK!!! they have awesome stopping power

Weaknesses:    Front Fork....i am a clyde and this thing sucks, i even have the extra firm kit in there and it bottoms out jumping off of picnic tables for god sake

Bottom Line:
This is not quite a Downhill Bike but not quite a xc bike....it has some of the best of both worlds, and i like that because i will hit up the trail just as often as i will do urban freerides...this thing climbs like a cat when properly set, and decends like butter....if you can find a deal on one i think you should buy one even if you are a clyde, because with the money i saved i can get a new for and xtr ........overall 4 chilis for the front fork

Favorite Trail:   oak mtn

Purchased At:   they dont pay so i dont say