Trek Fuel EX 9 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.54/5 (68 Reviews)

From race day to all day, you need a trail bike that's light and agile, yet commanding and capable. The Fuel EX is the do-it-all trail machine you can count on time and again.
  • Alpha Platinum Aluminum w/ABP Convert, Full Floater, E2 tapered head tube, internal front derailleur cable routing, magnesium EVO Link, replaceable derailleur hanger, 120mm travel
  • Fox FIT DRCV fork w/RLC & Kashima coat
  • DRCV rear shock w/3-position ProPedal
  • Bontrager Rhythm Elite wheelset
  • Full Shimano XT 3x10 drivetrain w/XTR rear derailleur

Submitted by Stevenmillerrn

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2013

Strengths:    It rode great until it broke, twice

Weaknesses:    I do not think that it will support heavier riders. I broke the top tube along with the seat post tube on both a 2011 Fuel Ex and the replacement 2012 Ex while riding the same trails. I am a 230 lb 47 y/o nurse trying to keep his blood pressure down. I'll let you decide how aggressive I was.

Bottom Line:
I upgrade to the Santa Cruz Solo C (aka 5010) and I am issue free after 130+ miles on the same trail

Submitted by andrew a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2013

Strengths:    when setup right and if parts are replaced under warranty it rides really well

Weaknesses:    Trek Warranty not worth a pinch of Troll Snot !!!!

Bottom Line:
I bought the 2009 EX9 brand new here in Perth, Australia. After 6 mths the bearings went in the rear Bontrager wheel and as they are a special design was told to wait 5 weeks for replacement from O/S. (5wks ??? WTF?). After much heated complaining they found a set and sent it to me within two weeks. Now four years down the track and having replaced worn out components I have discovered a crack in the bottom swing arm. The Trek website states swing arms are covered for 5 years,so I have submitted a warranty claim through my LBS. Trek have come back to say that they will supply the swing arm but in a different colour. And due to changes in axle sizes etc they have told me they cannot help further with a newer piece...... Take it or leave it. Why state and sell a 5 year warranty of replacement parts if they cannot meet the needs????? I'm not a 14yr old punk who wants a bike that looks like graffiti, with pieces that don't match. Its not a $4,000 Kmart bike!
Would I buy Trek again?? I don't care how many rocket scientists they employ, if the cant meet warranties, and in a timely manner then the warranty really isn't worth anything.
You have been warned!! ...... look elsewhere for better value as other brands, with quality bikes will bend over backwards for good service to retain existing customers.
Keep Shreddin.

Favorite Trail:   secret .... :)

Duration Product Used:   4yr

Similar Products Used:   Anthem, Epic

Bike Setup:   Now gone for 2x10 full XT

Submitted by charlie fox a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2013

Strengths:    awesome and plush suspension, confidence inspiring, ability to tackle anything! Can ride all day, had mine 4 years and still inspires me. Great climber and brilliant downhill. Not fragile!

Weaknesses:    Stock tyres might be fine on dust/dirt in a desert but useless in any damp/wet conditions. Upgraded to maxxis high roller and now onto mountain kings. Both massive improvement. Grips are ok but worth spending some cash on and the standard saddle is OK but I have swapped to a Charge Spoon Ti - much better for my fat arse! Stock wheels are a bit heavy but seem pretty robust.

Bottom Line:
Slightly chunky bike but if you are not racing it is ideal for pretty much everything I do. Great year round mud plugger with go everywhere ability. I love doing technical stuff but also great for those quicker sections and very comfy with the new saddle. Sag set up can be a bit tricky and rear shock needs topping up regularly so download the guide from the website as a reference. There are lighter bikes around but this bike feels as good 4 years on. Highly recommended.

Duration Product Used:   4 years

Purchased At:   south west UK

Bike Setup:   6'2" 95kgs, rear shock 190lbs, front 95lbs. Mountain king 2 running tubeless. Don't have a dropper seat post yet!

Submitted by Loren

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2013

Strengths:    Fork
Rear shox
Frame look, design
Climbing like goat,
Feeling while riding
XT shifters

Weaknesses:    Idk if only me had this problem so far, but this bike is little bumpy downhill, ive try for more than 5 diferent pressuers and rebound settings, but i cant get it perfect, maybe shox problem or ?...

Bottom Line:
I am riding XC/cross-country and little downhill, and only bad thing is i feel it little to much bumpy on downhill trails and single... but still perfect bike ! love it ! 8/10 (cuz of that bumpy thing)

Submitted by Simon

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2012

Strengths:    So good in every situation,up down along, you name it! Not too heavy for a do it all bike in my opinion and it really does pedal so efficiently!

Weaknesses:    Those god awful bontrager jones tyres!!!! Useless unless you live in a desert! Stem was far too long so replaced with a shorter Thomson. Grips went soon after for some odi's.swapped saddle for a
gobi( more for aesthetics really).

Bottom Line:
Had my ex9 for 4 years now and I still love it, was looking at orange 5's too at the time but the spec on the trek blew the 5 away! No problems with bearings, frame etc and it still puts a grin on my face everytime I ride it! Think its ageing well too in its design as 2008 was the first year trek used evo & abp. my charge duster hard tail rarely gets a look in!!!!

Submitted by Jon W a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2012

Strengths:    xtr rear derailer, shimano ice tech rotor's, xt hydraulic brakes. quality build of the bike. Great climbing bike, up-hill ability is second to none.

Weaknesses:    Grips!!! The stock bontrager grips are woeful (absolute garbage) they are far too hard and aggresive. blistered through my padded gloves. replaced with silicone grips. Great! Brake and shifter cables chaffing the frame.

Bottom Line:
Great all mountain and aggresive x/c bike. DRCV front fork feels bottomless. Well done Fox. All in all a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountains

Purchased At:   Sydney

Submitted by marcello a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2012

Strengths:    steep technical climb

Weaknesses:    bobbing in all conditions
front lateral flexes downhill
weight
front fork

Bottom Line:
i own a 2010 ex 9 version with mavic crossmax st,WCS carbon bar, thompson seatpost, smp saddle, upgraded lighter SRAM cassette, xtr chain, continental raceking 2.2 tyres... with all this spec the weight ,despite the official propaganda around internet, is more than 12 kilos with pedals... for a top of the range aluminum bike with around 1000 euros upgrades weight-minded, is really too much...
the bobbing: the bike bobs in all conditions... you can only decide if you want the bike to bob more or less (like all the bikes with that system like Kona or the tests winner Canyon...)... on the paved uphill is ridiculous... my girlfriend who was behind me with a front (she doesn't know much about mountain bike) thought my bike was broken because all that up and down.... on the steep uphill compact offroad the bobbing with propedal on 3(and even more on 2) makes the rear wheel lose grip when bobs up... very disappointed especially coming from a specialized epic...
on fast compact downhill, the front of the frame laterally flexes a lot, like the front 15qr (but longitudinally this time), so the grip at the front is poor and you never feel you can push more...
the only positive feature is on very steep technical climb when you climb without propedal... in that situation the rear wheel is rocky solid on the ground and you can climb safe asking for more inclination and tech climbs...
if this bike is "bike of the year... every year" like Trek claims... i can't imagine the other bikes... very disappointed... i'll try to sell it as soon as possible...

Similar Products Used:   Specialized epic 2008

Bike Setup:   standard 2010 ex9 plus wcs carbon bar, mavic crossmax st,thompson elite seatpost, smp glider saddle, sram pg990 cassette, xtr chain, continental raceking tyres

Submitted by trekfueler a Cross Country Rider from Ellicott City, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2011

Strengths:    The 2011 EX9 has good specs; geometry is well suited for XC; very stable in the rough stuff; 3x10 Dyna-sys is sweet!

Weaknesses:    Could be lighter; tires are not the best out there; XT cranks for this year (2011) have a weird shape with a lip that sometimes catches your heel (crank surface is not perfectly smooth where your foot may contact it); cable routing causes wear spot in cable very quickly.

Bottom Line:
The 2011 EX9 is a sweet ride. No regrets whatsoever. I wish that Shimano had thought about the shape of the 2011 XT cranks, but that's the way it is. Bike could stand to lose a couple of pounds, but I'm slowly doing that as I replace parts. Couldn't get below about 26.5-27 without spending big bucks, though. I've been riding this bike for almost a year now, and I absolutely love it.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco

Purchased At:   Race Pace

Similar Products Used:   2001 Fuel 90; 2006 Fuel EX9

Bike Setup:   Changed bars and seatpost to carbon to save a little weight; new tires right away; otherwise stock.

Submitted by MBurzon a Cross Country Rider from Kohler, WI

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2011

Strengths:    Very versatile bike. I've raced cross country on it, and bombed downhill on MOAB's toughest trails like a mad man. As a long travel XC machine, I have no complaints. I bought the bike in 2010, and it is a 2007 model year, which explains the $1800 price paid. I couldn't be happier.

Weaknesses:    Stock tires and grips had to go.

Bottom Line:
I love the bike. Cool story: I got a killer deal on a Ellsworth Truth while I owned my Trek. I bought Ellsworth because of the name. After riding it for a month, I went back to the Trek. I didn't like the Ellsworth geometry and felt at home on the Trek. Not to mention the Trek was built in my home state of Wisconsin! Buy local.

I do like Trek's active braking technology on the newer Fuels. After having ridden both in Moab, UT I couldn't justify spending the $700+ extra to get a newer model. It was a nice upgrade, but not a $700 dollar upgrade.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in MOAB, UT

Purchased At:   Wheel and Sprocket

Similar Products Used:   2006 Ellsworth Truth, 2010 Trek Fuel EX 9

Bike Setup:   ODI locking grips, old Rolf wheels with Maxxis High Rollers (I blew up my rear Bontrager race lite and used what I had on hand), lower geared rear cassette for Wisconsin riding, Hope disk brakes cause they are sexy and I had them from another build. Everything else stock.

Submitted by 5028516511 a Weekend Warrior from LOUISVILLE

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2011

Strengths:    I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS BIKE.

Weaknesses:    NONE YET

Bottom Line:
I WOULD RECCOMEND ANYONE TO TRY THIS BIKE OUT.

Favorite Trail:   CHEROKEE,OTTER CREEK,BROWN COUNTY,FORT DUFFIELD

Purchased At:   SCHELLERS

Similar Products Used:   2009 TREK FUEK EX 9! YES I HAVE TWO

Submitted by rmazza1 a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore, MD

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2011

Strengths:    Shock and fork. Crank, derailleurs, brakes, strong frame, magnesium rocker.

Weaknesses:    Tires! The grips and saddle could be better, but they could be worse.

Bottom Line:
This bike is nothing but a pure joy and is overly confidence inspiring. The DCRV shock has a feel to it that you can't describe, but the best way would be to say amazing. You don't get a harsh point in the travel you get with most shocks since it has two chambers, the second one opens up half way through the stroke which allows for a very even and consistent travel. The Fox FIT 120 with the 15mm thru axle QR is great and stiff, couple that with the 1 1/8 upper and 1 1/2 lower steerer tube and you have a stiff, well tracking ride. The wheels stay true, the derailleurs are crisp, the crank is well suited, and the brakes are strong. I have only done 3 foot drops on this bad boy but I am sure it can handle 5 footers with no problems. You point, it shoots, and there is nothing that will make you doubt your line.

Trek, what were you thinking with those crap tires. This bike is a dream, and those stock tires are an abomination in the eyes of anyone who rides on ANY type of dirt. Get the Maxxis ADvantage, they will take this bike to new levels you never knew existed.

Supreme bottom line: Buy this bike, switch the tires, ride happy.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco

Purchased At:   Bicycle Connection E

Similar Products Used:   Kona Howler, Kona Shred, Trek Y33, Unbranded hardtails, KHS Montana Pro FZ, Dirt Research Bandalier

Bike Setup:   Maxxis ADvantage tires, Fizik Aliante saddle, and basically stock from there.

Submitted by chtorres2 a Weekend Warrior from Denver, Co, USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2010

Strengths:    Great drive train components, powerfull and responsive breaks,well built frame, smooth suspension, kick @ss color, 28 Lbs stock. Built for the rider thats torn apart between buying a delicate full suspension 100mm travel 26 lbs cross country bike or a burly 140-160mm 30 lbs all mountain bike.

Weaknesses:    The tires arent great, the seat inspires you to take it off cause your better off dealing with the seat post up your @ss, the Fox F120 Fit RLC is kinda rough with striction until you break it in which takes some time (maybee Trek should have left it 130mm of travel instead of 120mm) grips are paper thin (probably could find better ones in walmart.

Bottom Line:
The bike is awesome stock but changing the grips, seat and tires make it flawless. It sucks though that you would have put in more money on an all ready expensive bike. This ride does inpire confidence and a desire to ride more and harder. The suspension is prettyy plush when needed without being all over the place. I weigh 210lbs with all my gear and the Fox RP23 DRCV 120mm is pretty active and compliant to big hits. Going uphill with or without propedal feels good. Barely any bob with the propedal off and no bob with it on. Just make sure you put in the required air pressure depending how much you weigh(with all your gear!!!!) The Fox F120 FIT RLC is pretty plush (when its broken in...and I mean really broken in. Ive only used 3/4 of its travel yet. Its pretty firm going uphill and the adjustability on the fork is great. Like I said before though I dont know if it would have been better to keep it at 130mm like the 2009 EX9. Overall great bike. Totally worth the cash.

Favorite Trail:   Green Mountain, White Ranch, Apex

Purchased At:   Treads Lakewood

Similar Products Used:   Giant Trance X1,X2, Trek Fuel EX8, gary fisher 2009 hifi deluxe, Cannondale rize (noncarbon fiber)

Bike Setup:   Check out Trek's website. Aftermarket parts WTB ROCKET V PRO SADDLE, ODI ROGUE Lock on Grips, Kenda Nevegal 2.35 up front and Kenda Small Block 8 2.35 Crank Brothers Mallet 1.

Submitted by wfo922 a Cross Country Rider from sublimity, or, us

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2010

Strengths:    2010 EX9, great components for the money, laterally stiff, does not need propedal to climb

Weaknesses:    wheels creak, and pop, tires, seat

Bottom Line:
I ride about 30-40 miles a week on fairly technical rocky rooty terrain. My previous ride was a 2004 stumpy comp hard tail. I find that I can ride all day with the pro pedal turned off, but yet the suspension is getting full travel usage without be mushy or bobbing. It is truly a very efficient ride. The bike does have a slight rear wheel bias stance which is great for aggressive down hill sections. It doesn't feel razor sharp in the corners but that is comparing to my prev. ride which is much more xc oriented.

This is a great all day ride rig and have been totally stoked. My overall rating would have been 5 but the tires, seat, and rear 32t cassette needed replacing for my type of riding.

Purchased At:   scotts cycles

Similar Products Used:   only parking lot demoed a pivot mach 5, turner 5 spot, and giant trance x1

Bike Setup:   wtb silverado seat, 34t XT cassette

Submitted by d-web a Weekend Warrior from London, ON

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2009

Strengths:    light(mines 28lbs stock), plush suspension, ABP (anti brake pivot),makes the rider believe he can do anything!

Weaknesses:    none really except the saddle on mine is pretty uncomfortable, and my pedals are horrible but the shop downgraded them i beleieve...i also hear a knocking sound after my first trail ride im sure its nothing tho just something i negelected to do before takin her out

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money. Its a true all-mountain bike and gives the rider extreme confidence, especially when your used to riding a hardtail. You could get this bike down to 25 lbs if you wanted to maybe even lighter. I hit 4 foot drops with ease and it is also a good climber (i just need better tires). I recommend this bike to anyone who is ready to make that big step to full suspension and to anyone who earns their way to the top of a hill/mountain before they go down it.

Favorite Trail:   Dalewood