Trek Fuel Ex 9.7 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

From race day to all day, you need a trail bike that's light and agile, yet commanding and capable. The Fuel EX is the do-it-all trail machine you can count on time and again.
  • Frame: OCLV Mountain Carbon main frame w/alloy chainstay & seatstay, Carbon Armor, ABP Convert, Full Floater, E2 tapered head tube, internal front derailleur cable routing, magnesium EVO Link, replaceable derailleur hanger, 120mm travel
  • Wheels: Bontrager Rhythm Comp TLR Disc wheel system, 15mm front hub, 142x12mm rear hub, 28 hole, Tubeless Ready
  • Tires: Bontrager XR4 Expert, 26x2.2"
  • Shifters: Shimano SLX M660-10, 10 speed
  • Crank: Custom Shimano M772, 42/32/24

Submitted by Rick Voss a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs well gos down single track like a rocket...groupset a tad naff but I've now put an xtr chainset on and a dropper post nice short stem and some raceface atlas bars...new set of wheels next then this steed will be awesome

Weaknesses:    None really maybe the forks ??

Bottom Line:
This was my first introduction into the carbon world and I'm glad I got my trek....went from downhill to this I love it....but now I want a carbon downhill bike ??

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere local

Duration Product Used:   12months

Purchased At:   The bike factory

Submitted by Keith Page

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2012

Strengths:    I bought a 2011 model this April for 2,300 so value is awesome for me. The frame is stout and suspension components work very nice indeed. The "Evo link" does a good job on big and small hits.

Weaknesses:    The rider mostly although I would have preferred trigger shifters but the Srams are alright after getting used to them.

Bottom Line:
I wanted a frame I could build on and that offered a good value. Suspension choices and component work well enough for me at my current level and this frame should be around when I'm ready to upgrade.
I would recommend this bike! Light enough to climb well yet I feel secure on the other side too. I am not a highly skilled rider so the way it handles on tight single track is likely more me than this bike but it sure as F*@* is fun!

Submitted by sebas

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2012

Strengths:    Do anything, go anywhere this bike does it all!! Climbs, descents you name it.It`s a great singletrack/xc bike.

Weaknesses:    weight ( I'm used to XC 23 pounds or less)

Bottom Line:
I have owned this bike for 6 months now, sold off my 2011 giant anthem sl, bought this one and never looked back. Even though this bike is a little heavier than what I had before (still have a 20 pound carbon hardtail) I don't honestly feel the difference or miss my xc. This is a beautiful bike, it handles perfectly!! I love it!!! I`ve been riding for a long time now (20 years) and tried a lot of FS bikes. Some are better climbers, other better on the down slope, but none really was all around. This one is!! I think I`ve found the perfect bike for me. I don't see myself changing back to anything else , maybe the fuel ex 9.9 when I get the chance.

Submitted by mmountainbiker a Weekend Warrior from Valrico

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight and somehow this Carbon Fiber 2011 frame came with 2012 XTR shifters and rear deraileur and chain, And the rest 2012 XT including brakes, cassette, and crank plus a RLC/FIT fork for 3k
Rides great . Its my first F/S.But sure rides better than my HT.
Thru-axles on both ends
New xr4 's rock

Weaknesses:    I could weigh much less by replacing Wheels Stem, Handlebar, and seatpost. Fox fork doesnt handle the small stuff as well as the negativly pressured Reba

Bottom Line:
This Bike was a steal as a comparably equipped ( exactly) 2012 9.8 list at $4900
I would have gave it 5 Flamin Chillis if the cockpit was lighter.

Favorite Trail:   Boyette

Purchased At:   Trek of Tampa Bay

Similar Products Used:   First full suspension bike. Took 10 years.

Bike Setup:   2011 frame with 2012 XT/XTR group. Fox 120mm RLC FIT, New XT pedals

Submitted by anthonyi a Weekend Warrior from Sarasota, FL

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2011

Strengths:    2011 Trek Fuel EX 9.7 OCLV...
Light, fast, nimble and comfortable to ride. No creaks or noises. Tires have good traction. Grips are fine as long as you wear light gloves.

Weaknesses:    None found yet

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike!

Favorite Trail:   Boyette, Ridgeling