Trek Fuel EX 8 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.61/5 (164 Reviews)

From race day to all day, you need a trail bike that's light and agile, yet commanding and capable. The Fuel EX is the do-it-all trail machine you can count on time and again.
  • Frame: Alpha Platinum Aluminum w/ABP Convert, Full Floater, E2 tapered head tube, internal front derailleur cable routing, magnesium EVO Link, replaceable derailleur hanger, 120mm travel
  • Fox DRCV fork w/E2 tapered steerer
  • Shimano XT rear derailleur & SLX shifters
  • Shimano SLX hydraulic disc brakes

Submitted by Mike Q

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2013

Strengths:    For the amount of riding I do it's great! I beat my bike up and it takes a great beating. You get great components for the price you pay. The Fox Susp is awesome and the bike is lighweight!

Weaknesses:    The stock Bontrager tires are terrible!!!!!

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike for the $.

Submitted by Lukas Bielicky

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2013

Strengths:    Geometry - does not lift front wheel at ascends, does not want to get rid of rider at steep descends, or ,,unexpexted,, drops.
Rear shock - DRCV works well, but need precise set up.
SLX brakes - uncompromise breaking power (but cheap stock discs)
SLX/XT drivetrain - good enought for most riders
wide handlebars

Weaknesses:    DRCV fork - too linear, undermining bike´s potential...Definitely doesnt work.However, can be tunned by PUSH tunnig kit to be more progresive.
For rough trail ridig long stem.
no ICCG mounts and using BB90 - so I use Bionicon C.guide(it works, but sometimes chain drops...)
weird sounds from front wheel and frame (I learned to ignore)
Weight???

For me personaly I needed to upgrade gear pads for xt, changed drivetrain to 2x10 (3x10 for trail ridind makes no sense.)
This bike is not equiped with dropper post, bought RS reverb.

Bottom Line:
Very well for amateur XC racing(not fastest) and can handle some trails in bike parks. Perfect as a first full suspension bike, when you cant decide, what you want to ride. You can remain XC rider or... It is very capable descendant, so in short time you can gain trail-all mountain skills and will be looking for most demanding local trails and become ,,trail adicted,, as me:) So there is one more weakness of this bike - after one year of riding - you are looking for longer travel bike.)

Submitted by Miko a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2013

Strengths:    Weight for the bike is really light. Lockout on fork and propedal on rear shock work like a hot damn for tough climbs. The full float platform absolutely rocks and it feels the best of all I have used which are many : DW, Maestro, KS link, VP free and FSR. I have decided any other bike I by from now on will need to be full float. Rims are tough!
The price is great.

Weaknesses:    The 9mm front qr is old school it would be nice to have 15mm other wise nothing at all

Bottom Line:
I have tweaked my ride to my liking as I do with all my bkes. I added Haven bars, Turbine cranks, X0, SDG Duster seat (Love this saddle), TruVativ setback post, Ruffian grips, Cross Mark tires.

I noticed a big change with by dong all of this. Bike tracks great, free float system is unbelievable!!!! I used to hate pedalling my previous bikes up but now I really enjoy it since the bike is equipped with the lockout and propedal. MAN what a difference this makes. I have never dropped a chain and my bike shifts flawlessly.

I can honestly say I can shred everything on my rides. I ride for hours at a time and find this bike suits my needs for a true AM bike maybe geared a little more on the XC side. It has great geometry and is really light. I haven't found a time where I came back sore from riding just left wanting to ride more.

My next bike will be a Remedy since I hit everything on the way down.

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Submitted by OZ QLD XC MTB

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2013

Strengths:    Handling, climbing, shocks, wide bars, great brakes

Weaknesses:    tyres

Bottom Line:
I love this bike,
it is fast,
responsive
and can tackle really tough rock gardens.
I bought this when I crashed my Norco Phaser1 and wanted a bike with better travel, this is a great buy and I would recommend it,
good bike
good value. :)

Submitted by Bryce Boeke

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2013

Strengths:    This bike is a monster. Climbs well. It will descend like a champ.

Weaknesses:    The handlebars are way to wide for a medium and small frame. I have a medium size, the handlebars need to be cut some. The brake rotors are also to big for the medium and small frames. A person on a medium-small is going to weigh roughly 110-160 pounds. We don't need 180 mm front and 160 mm back rotor to stop us. It is a waste of weight to have all that extra rotor.

Bottom Line:
I would most certainly recommend this bike to a friend. Besides the brakes and handlebars this bike has no drawbacks.

Submitted by Gencho

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2012

Strengths:    Amazing bike. Love riding it, great for the uphills and exelent for the downs.

Weaknesses:    Do wonder about getting the remedy as it was abit cheaper and had 150mm travel instead of the 120mm.

Bottom Line:
I love the bike and im so happy i bought it

Submitted by donwscott@cox.net a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2012

Strengths:    the whole kit and caboodle, takes a beating. Shocks are fantastic. Best Bang for the buck.

Weaknesses:    stock tires and Avid brakes, change tires asap and go tubeless.

Bottom Line:
Best bang for the buck. Upgrade as components break or wear.

Favorite Trail:   FINS/BCT

Duration Product Used:   weekly

Bike Setup:   Frame

Alpha Red Aluminum w/ABP Convert, Full Floater, E2 tapered head tube, magnesium EVO Link, oversized pivot bearings, replaceable derailleur hanger, 120mm travel
Front Suspension
Fox 32 F-Series RL w/air spring, rebound, alloy E2 tapered steerer, 120mm travel
Rear Shock
Fox Float RP-2, "trail tuned" w/Trek DRCV, ProPedal, rebound; 7.25x2.0"
Wheels

Brake set
Xt hydraulic brakes

Submitted by BikerCam a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2012

Strengths:    XR4 tires, DCRV shocks, full floater rear setup, component choices for the price, e2 headset,

Weaknesses:    No A/C, power windows or door locks.

Bottom Line:
Previously, I had an EX5 and EX6. When the demo 2012 Fuel EX8 became available, I jumped at the chance to buy one at a great value. A world of difference between EX6 and EX8. When I took it first the first ride, I noticed how quiet it was (not much chain bounce) and this bike has been used a few times being a demo. It felt brand new yet well tuned. The best part I like is the front end. Together with the e2 headset, DCRV fork, XR4 tires and sturdy frame gave me confidence going fast downhill. It's not bad going uphill as well. The shifting was solid and responsive. The matte black color makes it a mean looking bike and easy to clean. I can just stare a this bike in the garage for hours but I'd rather ride it. Awesome bike!

Favorite Trail:   Rancho Penasquitos

Purchased At:   Trek Superstore

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper, EX5, EX6, Turner 5-Spot

Bike Setup:   Stock. Not sure if I need to change a thing.

Submitted by Rafael

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2012

Strengths:    Great bike for the price. Solid components (LX brakes, LX/XT deraillers, DRCV Fox RP2 shock and DRCV Float RL shock). XR4 are solid tires. The bike climbs well and feels fast and light on the trail. It has 120mm of travel but it feels like a lot more on the trail.

Weaknesses:    None so far....maybe a shorter stem...if you want to get picky.

Bottom Line:
Have ridden this bike for 8 months now and it rocks! It climbs extremely well and the DRCV allows full travel of the fork and shock making it feel very smooth on descents. Tires are grippy (ride tubeless) and like others I agree on this bike making you want to ride.

Submitted by Arsenal SD a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2012

Strengths:    This bike loves to be abused and man handled in the technicals. Components, brakes.

Weaknesses:    No navigation system.

Bottom Line:
I made this purchase a year ago and have come to realize it has been one of the best purchases I have ever made. First off the color is amazing black with grey. It has good components for the price. One year and the first thing that went was my tire. so I switched to tubeless and it's a dream! I have rode several bikes around this same price range and realize that this bike was one of the best. Located out in San Diego I have used this bike through dirt, dust, mud, woods and must say it handled it all nicely. This is my first serious mountain bike and I did extensive research before purchasing and found it had many benefits like low brake jacking, great climbs, comfortable cruising and strong descents due to the 68 degree head unit. To be honest the bike makes me want to go out and ride. Not to mention the nice absence of brake jacking when rolling down big hills. This bike is good for someone who just wants to have a nice bike for the singles, and maybe do some technical along the way(although technical is all I use it for). Great beginner mountain bike for someone trying to build their skills. I don't plan on letting this bike go...ever.

Submitted by Richard Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2012

Strengths:    Suspension works great. All components seem to work well.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
This is the 2010 model. I've had this bike for about 6 months and am still getting used to mountain biking (I used to be a road racer). The bike was in beautiful condition when I bought it and almost everything was perfect. The only flaws were that both the front and rear rims had one spoke bent on each (both were true). I've taken this bike on several pretty long rides (up to 30 miles long) on a variety of trail and terrain. The bike has performed flawlessly. The bike came with G3 rotors (185mm and 160 mm) which made a gobbling sound under braking. I changed to new HS1 rotors (180mm and 160mm) and the brakes perform very well.

I'm a conservative rider and have only had the bike up to about 35 mph on some downhills and it has performed very nicely. On climbs, the pro pedal works fairlly well. The bike originally came with bontrager tires and I changed them to WTB Velociraptors and they seem to grip pretty well. I'm going to enjoy growing into this bike!

Submitted by casperox a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2012

Strengths:    Active Braking Pivot. Floating Suspension. Brakes and suspensions work independently. High-low chain stays make the frame look cool. Very light aluminium material.

Weaknesses:    Mine's a 2008. The headangle is not descend friendly.

Bottom Line:
Very little/minimal pedal bob thanks to the Fox RP2 propedal and the floating suspension system. Weight of the whole bike will never be an issue I just love going trails with this bike. Climbs very well. Traction and braking is excellent. If you are planning to get a trail bike this is the answer. Don't have to look elsewhere.

Favorite Trail:   Butterfly & Bukit Timah Hill

Purchased At:   togoparts

Similar Products Used:   Haro EX0 2000, Giant Warp 2003.

Bike Setup:   I am not using anything stock except rear shock. Fork is Van RLC 140mm and Pro 2s laced on Sun Single Tracks. Shimano XT shifter, rear derailleur, crankset. Avid Juicy 7 brakes.

Submitted by Alfonso a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2012

Strengths:    Very solid bike, not only in feel but in build quality. It takes corners very well, and the DRCV technology works very well and inspires confidence. I love everything about the bike, the color scheme, parts, look and I find it to be light. It climbs great, and is a true head turner out on the trails. Takes anything you throw at it!

Weaknesses:    Most are complaining about the stock tires, mine came with the X4 Bontragers and I find them to very solid.

Bottom Line:
If you have the money, definitely get this bike, great bike from a great brand. I looked at similarly priced bikes from other manufactures within the same price range like Giant, Specialzed, Cannondale etc but the Trek won me over, not just based on looks.

Favorite Trail:   Turnbull Canyon, Mt. Wilson, Fullerton Loop

Purchased At:   Whittier Cyclery is

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Chase a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2012

Strengths:    I've taken this bike on numerous single tracks like El Prieto, Mt. Wilson, and Chantry Flats and it's been great, except for a few things. I had to replace the seat since it got shredded up on a high speed slam on a fire road. Also, the grips are terribly uncomfortable so I changed those out for some ODI lock-on's which are holding up great. And finally, make sure to run tubeless! You won't regret it, I've had to buy 4 new tubes for this damn thing because of thorns. So the bontrager tires and tubes just suck, so if you can get Kenda tubeless they're amazing. Other than that the shifters are smooth and crisp and the suspension is a dream. Great bike overall and I'm riding it until it dies.

Weaknesses:    Tires and tubes it comes with are absolutely pathetic, seat is weak and isn't very comfy, and the grips are all uncomfortable. But those are mainly just small problems that are easy to fix by running tubeless, buying a WTB Rocket V seat, and buying ODI lock-ons. That's my opinion.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for intermediate riders who are looking for a good, reliable, full suspension. And it can handle any terrain you throw at it so I give it a 4 1/2 out of 5 flamin' chilis!

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Wilson

Duration Product Used:   150 miles

Purchased At:   Helen's Cycles

Bike Setup:   Everything stock except for seat, grips, and tires.

Submitted by luckyboy a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2012

Strengths:    Great value with nice parts. Solid construction. Very versatile.

Weaknesses:    Bad stock rims and tires. Uncomfortable seat.

Bottom Line:
I bought a used demo bike(size 17.5) from my lbs.
The suspension was still intact after multiple demo rides, one spoke was bent and the tires had some life left.
The price was right. I am still learning to adjust the suspension and make changes accordingly.
I keep the suspension unlocked at all times. I find that leaning forward keeps the bike steady.
I am still adjusting my new seat to find the best riding position. I have a short inseam, 29 and short reach, but I can still keep up with my friend's 29er.
The Fuel EX8 can climb and descend better with tire changes. I changed out to Maxxis Highrollers. This made a huge difference. The stock Bontragers would slip and slide the bike out and resulted in a few close calls. I hope Trek will change the stock tires.
The brakes, shifters and derailers work like a charm. They make it a great value.
I did break the used chain due to a stray rock. A new SRAM chain and I was back on the trail.
Overall, this bike is an excellent purchase for the beginner to intermediate rider.
The aftermarket has dozens of parts to lighten or personalize your ride.
I love this bike. I will ride this thing into the ground.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Hodges and Penasquitos Canyon

Purchased At:   Trek Superstore

Similar Products Used:   A very old KHS mtb that beat the tar out of me.

Bike Setup:   Stock setup with WTB seat, Maxxis Highrollers and Shimano clipless pedals.

Stumpjumper FSR comp or Fuel EX 8

Hi, tested both 29ers and both felt comfortable. Considering both as an option to replace my 26 Titus. For the stumpy - upgrade brakes to XT. For the Fuel - upgrade cranck to XT 2X10. Both at the same price range. Anyone csn recommend or has any other observation? Appreciate your help on such tough ... Read More »

fuel ex 8 vs RIP

Thinking about a new bike and like both but not sure which one to get. I ride trails in the PNW. Looking for 2x10 XT / XO and don't want to spend more than $4500. Thanks for any input Old N SLowRead More »

How much should I pay for this used 2009 Fuel EX 8?

Hi all, I want to get back into mountain biking and I have previously owned a Giant Trance X4 that I got used for $600. I found a 09 fuel ex 8 on craigslist and the seller is asking $900. The person listed the bike for sale but thinks the bike is an 08 fuel ex 7. I'm trying to get this bike fo ... Read More »

2013 Fuel EX 8 long travel fork.

Im thinking about swapping my 130mm DRCV fork on my Fuel EX 8 for a a 150mm rockshox pike dual position air. The DRCV never really clicked with me. The pike can be adjusted from 120mm to 150mm. So I can run it in the stock position if need be. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience runni ... Read More »

Yeti SB95C or Trek Fuel Ex 9.8

I'm after a little advice, I'm currently riding a custom build Orange 5 with Pike 454 up front. It's been great fun but too much travel for the sort of riding I'm now doing. I'm living in Aus for a few more months before moving back to the UK where I will be doing all of my riding. I'm wanting to s ... Read More »