Transition Bikes Covert All Mountain Full Suspension

4.63/5 (24 Reviews)
Weight : 6.7 lbs MSRP : $4399.00

Raced by Andrea Bruno to win the 2010 and 2011 Italian Super Enduro championship; the Covert has been proven in the toughest Enduro races in Europe. If you would rather call it an “all mountain” bike, that is fine with us too, since we haven’t found a mountain yet that didn’t make us smile when riding a Covert. Designed to be the most versatile bike in our lineup, the Covert would be our choice if we could only have one bike. New for 2012, the 12mm x 142mm dropouts increase the strength and stiffness of this well proven frame. But don’t worry, if you still have a 135mm wheelset that you can’t convert we have optional 10mm x 135mm dropouts as well. We now offer two different build kit options with either 1x10 or 2x10 drivetrains and two different travel adjust forks for even more options on this crowd favorite.

Submitted by Inuitbiker

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2013

Strengths:    Fun Geometry
Durable so far
Loves to be in the air
Stiff Rear triangle
Corners well
Adequate Peddling Platform when spinning

Weaknesses:    Factory Powder coat

Bottom Line:
So I have a long hiatus from the Covert after flirting with DW-link & Switch bikes. Recently got fed up with the SB 66's long list of issues, I went back to the Covert. At first it felt kinda tall and rode it around Mt. Galby and it was really really fun. Needless to say it was great on the North Van trails. Even coming from the SB66 (which did bob slightly even with rebound turned down), the Covert bobbing was not too noticeable & manageable but definitely not as stable as the DW-link. Short burst of stand up/BMX style peddling did induce bobbing like the SB66. The Covert's platform is stable enough to climb up Front Range CO's dusty singletrack sidewalks with no major drama.

While riding the new Covert is awesome. It is stiff and loves to be throw up in the air. Landed some sketch landings that on the SB66 would have ended me and my day. Even cornering, I feel I can drive the bike thru my hips more than the Yeti (both had 142 rears). No complains about the Lyrik as well as the Monarch, both are leaps and bounds over the Fox stuff. Honestly, the new covert is rides like a dirtjumper that you can climb with. Bottomline, it is a fun bike to ride if you're not a dirt roadie.

Although I have not had this bike for long, it seems to be more durable than my SB66 (no cracks or straight sheering of the rear triangle from normal riding), which leads to better confidence in my equipment. The Covert's linkages are a lot simpler to maintain and are pretty smooth. No bearing noise/creaks like on the SB66 (1.5 weeks in dry conditions resulted in Switch bearing & shock bushing change w/out frame alignment issues) but only time will tell.

Less Maintenance down time + Overall fun to ride + Frame Beefiness = Good (at least to me).

Favorite Trail:   Ur's mom birth canal

Duration Product Used:   .5 month

Purchased At:   dealer

Similar Products Used:   TBC Covert

Bike Setup:   Ultimate Funness

Submitted by Phillip a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2013

Strengths:    Rides awesome, great value, doesn't bob much, climbs great, descends great, burly, easy to change bearings, replacement parts are affordable, great company, great customer service

Weaknesses:    Paint doesn't hold up well, rear derailleur hanger, graphics/color schemes could be better

Bottom Line:
This review is for a 2011 Covert. I believe they have improved my minor grips. I'm 6' 175lbs and ride a large. I feel that the size is perfect. The front end is tall, given the 160 Talas, so I suggest having a height adjustable fork. Climbing long steep climbs with a non-adjustable fork would be tough on the lower back. With the Talas dropped down though, it's great. The frame is stiff laterally. This is a great bike for those who need freeride downhill capability but also have to climb. I'd buy one again in an instant. I'm still searching for the most plush settings on the RP23. I'd also like to ride the Covert back to back with an Enduro and Nomad but that's just more out of curiosity, not need.

Bike Setup:   Stock 2011 Covert, Talas 36, X9 drivetrain, Nevegal 2.35's, RP23, Transition wheels, Thompson stem, Reverb seatpost, Blackspire chainguide

Submitted by Anthony a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2013

Strengths:    Just so much fun

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
1st off work out what type of riding you do, once you do that you can narrow your choice down a lot,
LBS offered me a demo on one had been looking at enduro,sc nomad and covert, well took it for a spin one day mile road ride to forestry peddled super no real bobbing and did not think it heavy in any way, once in said forest within 200 yards just knew this bike was for me it pops, hops and rails like no tomorrow and following day took bike back and ordered mine no hesitation a truly superb bike cannot wait to get mine as mentioned you will not be disappointed, don't hesitate.

Favorite Trail:   Any Wales

Duration Product Used:   not enough yet

Purchased At:   muddybums Wales

Similar Products Used:   None, didn't need to

Bike Setup:   covert 2 build bought

Submitted by Haines Mountain Biker

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2013

Strengths:    Super playful and responsive suspension with fantastic climbing performance in trail and climb. It works better then my FSR because is has less chain growth for smooth pedaling. Very stiff pedaling. Tried to make it brake jack by braking over fast rocky sections and suspension seems fully active under braking. Pivot placement allows simple replacement without unique tools. 160 fox CTD feels great climbing and not too raked. Downhill performance is fantastic

Weaknesses:    traded out reverb for LEV on build 1. Finish features on frame and cable guide welds are not to par but the pure function of machined parts and hydroformed tubes is all well done and super burly.

Bottom Line:
Review is for 2013 Covert 26, Build 1 for $5,600.00
Easton Haven rims, stem, carbon bar, XT build.
30.2 pounds with straightline de facto pedals and KS 150 LEV tubeless
Geometry definitely compromises you with a rearward position climbing but off saddle feels solid and efficient.

Similar Products Used:   FSR, 2009 Norco Team DH, Transition Transam 26,

Submitted by Nick Hamm a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2012

Strengths:    Versatility! Up, down, over, off and through. She's a ripper. Bombproof and fast.

Weaknesses:    None! Cheaper would be nicer...,but you pay for what yah get.

Bottom Line:
Huge Transition Fan! Bought on recommendation of long time rider. Beacon Hill in Spokane is loaded with them. She does it all.

Submitted by Ashton M.

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2012

Strengths:    Climbing- Running the 1x10 setup - climbs like a billygoat. I ride everything from Moab (Burro Pass, Moonlight Meadows, Schumans Gulch, Hells Canyon, Porcupine, Magnificent 7, Pipeline, Bar M, Poison Spider, Amasa...), Grand Junction (The ribbon, Lunch-loops), Palisade, PNW- Blackrock, Bellingham, Duthie Hill...), and Telluride on this bike. The only thing Ive had to walk on this thing was sections of Wasatch Trail in Telluride (steap 3500+ vertical up and 3500+ back down). This bike climbs like a 4 inch bike and descends like a DH bike.

Descending- The 6 inches of single-pivot suspension eats up the rough stuff, tracks extremely well, and jumps with ease. Its truly a mini-DH bike. If I only had one bike, this would be it hands down. As with any single-pivot, brake-jack is experienced when cornering on the brakes but once you practice proper techniques (i.e. braking before corners) you are golden. The stiffness of the 12x142 rear end is great, no flex at all when rallying through berms or rock gardens. Truly a point and shoot bike, it goes where you want it to and doesnt get kicked off line easily. Ive ridden everything on this bike with ease. Handles steep techy high alpine descents (Burro Pass down - "Whole Enchilada", Wasatch Trail...) to the fun flowy berms, jumps, and drops of Blackrock, OR and Bellingham, WA and this bike begs for more.

Customer support- Needless to say but I will anyway. Transition Bike Co's customer service is top-notch. 2 year warranty and lifetime crash replacement. The guys at Transition are approachable with any problems, call them up and its taken care of. A real plus is that you talk directly to the guys who run the company so theres no runaround, its just taken care of and your back on your bike quickly.

Weaknesses:    Single-Pivot Brake Jack - but is easily remedied with practice and proper technique

Nothing else really. Component specs are top notch. Propedal works great with this frame. Geometry is spot on.

Bottom Line:
Never thought I would hit 20 ft gaps and 12-15 ft drops on a trail bike but this bike can handle it. and cilmb to the top to do it all over again. Rode Blackrock, OR and Bellingham, WA with some locals and only had this bike. Let me tell ya, ya dont need 8 inches+ of travel to ride that stuff. Its nice to have the extra cushion sometimes but this bike eats it up and begs for more. When we got to the bottom, I flipped the propedal, raised the seat and cranked to the top while they were all pushing. Truly the best of both worlds! If you have only enough cash for one bike, this bike is a true "quiver-killer". It climbs easily and efficiently. It descends like a DH bike. its very predictable in the air, rock gardens, berms, and when drifting thru off-camber corners. This bike truly corners like its on rails, lean it over and let it hook up. The stiffness of the rear end is amazing, I didnt realize how flexy my 135X10 rear end was until I got on this thing this year. The guys at Transition have truly made a great "do it all" bike with the Covert. Throw a leg over one and you wont be dissapointed, I bet you'll own one in no time after riding one. Ive traded bikes with friends (Specialized Enduro, Santa Cruz Nomad, Trek Slash) and rode sections of Porcupine Rim. Hands down the Covert is my bike of choice. One of my friends even sold her bike and got a new Covert after riding one. Im going to Winter Park and Sol Vista in a few weeks and cant wait to ride this thing there. Im bringing the DH bike and this and Im not sure which bike Ill spend more time on. Dont nock the single-pivot, theres a reason there around, they work well in all conditions.

Bottom Line- Throw a leg over one of these and see where it takes you, you wont be dissapointed. Crank up to the top and rally down as fast as you can and this bike begs for more. Still not sure if Ill be riding my Covert or my TR450 at Winter Park and Sol Vista more.

Submitted by JLarson a Racer from Oregon

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2011

Strengths:    Bomb-proof construction and a good value (6" Frame w/ RP23 for $1,600) + Fox 36 = still less than most other 6" frames

Weaknesses:    The only annoyances on this bike so far: Each wreck = Paint scratches (I ended up getting some of that clear wrap from an autobody shop & put in high use/crash prone areas).

Needs a top tube cable guide for the Reverb post (makes you run a lot of cable on the downtube and then route it up through the suspension). I got some sticker cable routing guides and used silicone to secure to frame on the under-side of top tube.

Some pedal strike issues in really technical sections & climbs.

Bottom Line:
I fall perfectly into the Transition Covert customer profile: I can only have one bike but ride single-track, climb, and aggressive freeride trails. My average ride is either 1,500-2,000ft of climbing w/ a 5-10 mile decent or 15+ mile technical rolling single track. I live the PacNW so trails are wet/loose, technical w/ a lot of rocks, tree roots, and manmade burms & jumps.

I switched over from FS to HT free-ride bikes about 4 years ago because: lower maintenance and cost, durability, skills/challenge, rear triangle stiffness, response, and climbing.

I was able to borrow a Covert for a quick ride at a Super-D race and I had a Covert in my garage a few weeks later. The Covert is one of the few bikes that had the same stiff and responsive feel I had grown to love on my HT. I also like the Covert because it looks and feels solid – delicate things and I don’t do well together!!

After only 6 rides on the Covert I entered a 7 mile /2,000ft Super-D. I was pleasantly surprised how in tune with the bike I felt after only 6 rides. I’ve got about 15 rides on it now and I’m right back to riding w/o thinking about my bike - it's "invisible".

For setup I spent about 2 hours reading through a few suspension blogs and Fox’s recommendations - I pretty much had it dialed in on the first ride.

So far it’s been great for all of the following: 2,000ft forest service road climbs, 3ft drops, railed 100’s of burms, plowed through rock gardens, took it to the local pump track & a skate park (it’s little heavy for this).

Bottom Line: I think Covert was dead on with their description as the Quiver killer. At 32lbs you won’t be the first to the top of the hill - but point it downhill and this thing rips.

Favorite Trail:   Sandy Ridge Trail

Bike Setup:   2010 Transition Covert w/ Transition parts kit & Stans Flow Tubeless wheels. Fox Talas 36 (160mm)

Submitted by gsom111 a Cross Country Rider from Pushchino, Russia

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2011

Strengths:    Strong frame, agressive geometry, nice look.

Weaknesses:    Paint chips easily.

Bottom Line:
I ride 2008 Covert since autumn 2010, it's so called "1,5 version". I'm 186 cm and frame is L size. Bike is good at uphill and great at downhill. It does tempt you to ride more agressive and really helps to improve riding skills.
Long top tube might be a problem for some people, but it lets to use short stem resulting in precise handling. I find suspension a bit progressive, it's quite plush and doesn't bottom out even on 1 m drops to flat.
Well, if you need a reliable and capable trail bike at decent price, that's the right choice :)

Favorite Trail:   top secret :)

Similar Products Used:   None, that's my first fs bike

Bike Setup:   RS Revelation 140 mm, Fox Rp23, Sun Rims Eq27 rims on Hope Pro II hubs, 2x9 drivetrain, 50 mm Thomson stem & 710 mm Gravity handlebar, Sram shifters & deralleurs, etc.

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Simi Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2011

Strengths:    Everything. Smooth, fast, stable, poppy, stable, smooth, fast, poppy, fun, poppy, fun...fun

Weaknesses:    makes everyone really jealous

Bottom Line:
Amazing bike. Faster than my old dirtbag, pedals uphill better than specialized pitch.

Favorite Trail:   Chumash

Purchased At:   The Bike Shack at Ro

Similar Products Used:   giant reign, transition dirtbag, specialized pitch

Bike Setup:   Fox float 32 150mm, fox rp23, full SLX 3x10, Transition 25 wheels and seat, sunline bars and stem.

Submitted by babu a Weekend Warrior from Astoria, NY

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2011

Strengths:    Solid frame, good simple single pivot suspension design, loves being abused.

Weaknesses:    None-it's perfect for what it was created.

Bottom Line:
The bike is great for the type of riding it was made for- that is all mountain in in its purest sense. I use it as my trail bike and I ride it aggressively. No worries about the frame, it can and it likes being beaten up. I climb everything on it and I only seldom use the pro-pedal on the RP23. The terrain here in NY/NJ is usually short, steep climbs followed by the same type of descents. The bike can go up and it can definitely come down. Also, I never felt the need for a travel adjustable fork. Actually, after playing around with the suspension pressures for the first 8-10 rides, I found the sweet spot for both front and rear and never touched them again. Transition is also great as a company and have communicated with them very well- down to Earth people who seem to enjoy riding just as much as I do.
Bottom line is if you need a bike with a simple suspension design that will handle anything you'll throw at it the V2 Covert is a great weapon of choice.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mtn

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro, Stumpjumper, Iron Horse 6.

Bike Setup:   Fox 36 Float R, Stan ZTR Flow wheelset with Hope Pro II hubs, Avid Elixir R, 1x9 set up with MRP Mini G chainguide. 30lbs with this set-up.

Submitted by emmaus28 a Weekend Warrior from Earth

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2011

Strengths:    Point it downhill and you become a rock star!

Weaknesses:    Non really, not real fast on the climbs I guess.

Bottom Line:
This is for the V-1 model. Long wheelbase makes for a happy downhiller. Bike is scary fast on descents and you will get angry with your buddies for leading the group down the hill and holding you up! Going up it displays a very noticeable pedal bob that even with the RP23 cannot be tuned out. But that's cool, I'm in no hurry to get up a hill anyways.

Bike is SWEET! nuff said.

Favorite Trail:   Anything going down.

Bike Setup:   Two wheels and a handlebar with shifty and brakey things on them.

Submitted by mtbr41 a Weekend Warrior from California

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2010

Strengths:    Awesome geometry, light, handles great, Blast to ride haha

Weaknesses:    Paints a little cheap

Bottom Line:
Mines build to 31 pounds 8 ounces, easily climbs(front end is a little light) very stable and tracks well downhill. I got a discount on a specialized enduro comp and the covert frame so I did a switcharoo and sold extra parts to reduce costs

AWESOME BIKE

Purchased At:   EMPLOYEE

Similar Products Used:   A lot

Bike Setup:   Covert Frame with 2010 specialized enduro comp componentes

Submitted by mtbManiak a Downhiller from Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2010

Strengths:    This review is for the new version of the Covert. Tough, light, plenty of travel, and extremely well thought out and designed.

Weaknesses:    Paint isn't quite as durable as I would like

Bottom Line:
For the price, there isn't a better bike out there. And who doesn't like Transition? As a company they are super easy to work with, and they stand behind and ride their products! The covert pedals extremely well, especially when paired with the RP23 rear shock. When it comes to the downhill the covert performs so well that I almost don't realize I'm riding an All-mountain bike. I've ridden my frame solid for two seasons now, and haven't had a single problem. I ride trails, downhill, and have even done the occasional freeriding and hit a 15 step-down with a 35 foot gap! If you want a do-it-all bike, I definitely recommend the Covert! 5 Flamin' chilis all around.

Favorite Trail:   Porc Rim

Purchased At:   Urban Downfall Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Yeti 575, Nomad, Blur LT

Bike Setup:   Covert V2 frame, Fox 36 float, RP23, Stan's Flow with Hope Pro II's

Submitted by ridin26s a Weekend Warrior from Bellingham, WA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2008

Strengths:    All-mountain excellence, can rip uphill, downhill, and on flats too ( although there aren't many of those on Galby). Amazing value.

Weaknesses:    Paint, but who really cares. Suspension can be sluggish. marzocchi 55 tst2 fork.

Bottom Line:
The covert is amazing. I had mine built up using the transition dual-ring build kit, a DHX, and a 6" fork for more downhill capability. Price is perfect for what you get, especially with the premium parts. After months of hammering it, the only drawback was the 55 fork, which seized up about 4 inches through its travel and gave a crappy ride. I took it to Marzocchi Canada and had it fixed but it seized again a couple months later, so I got the 36.

The large bike doesn't give up anything to fit someone taller like me, so that is a plus too. Full seatpost extension lets you put the seat all the way up for ripping up, then put it down for heading downhill. It's low standover height due to it's dropped top tube lets you throw it around. It does not feel 100% stable in the air, but lands well.

The Covert is perfect for my riding style, which is ride fast uphill then bomb back downhill, and is everything that is necessary to ride Galbraith. You could build up lighter for more xc steez but its way more fun with a burlier build. If you are looking for a 5.5" travel bike at an affordable price to ride everything, check out the Covert.

Favorite Trail:   SST, Galby