Titus Moto-Lite All Mountain Full Suspension

4.84/5 (119 Reviews)

You've been invited on a ride. You don't know the trail. You don't know the people. You're not even sure where the ride is. Will it be a hammerfest? Will they take you on the most technical ride you've ever done? Who Cares! You're on a Moto-Lite. It's the bike you've been waiting for.

Submitted by Dirtvet a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff rear end, high and wide BB, versitile. With Carbon Lefty now and Pushed RP2 shock, incredible suspension.

Weaknesses:    Wish the wheelbase was an inch longer for mor stability when really going fast

Bottom Line:
Bought new 2009 as a closeout in Dec 2009. Replaced/complemented a 2005 Cannondale Prophet. While it took a while to get use to more of a cross country bike than the Prophet, It eventually became my favorite because of its stiffness. Great value too.

Favorite Trail:   Cypresswood in Houston

Duration Product Used:   21/2 years

Purchased At:   OnLine

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Prophet 2000

Bike Setup:   XTR crank and shifters, XT F/R derl., Tompson stem and seatpost (masterpiece), XT hubs/Mavic 819 rims, WTB saddle, LEFTY STRUT transferred from the Cannondale (Lefty Max 140 Carbon).

Submitted by Magnum Opus a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2012

Strengths:    excellent design, looks great, funtions well, nice upright nuetral stance in the cock pit.

Weaknesses:    none, I friggin love that bike.

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike for nearly 4 seasons. the 2008 motolite has done everything I have asked of it. You can see it in action on my you tube video, "sugar bottom slamfest" proof enough that it can take a beating, and ask for seconds.

Favorite Trail:   sugar bottom

Duration Product Used:   3.5 years

Purchased At:   jenson usa

Similar Products Used:   cannondale scalpel,

Bike Setup:   truvativ noir carbon crank, handlebar, and seat post, crank brothers cobalt 3 wheels,

Submitted by sjchrislee a All Mountain Rider from Cupertino, California, USA

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2012

Strengths:    Ultralightweight, Durability, Snappy responsiveness, Carbon fiber seatstay, anodized paint, scratch resistant, travel adjustability

Weaknesses:    long headtube, small rear triangle width

Bottom Line:
This is a great XC, trail and light AM bike. It has a snappy and precise rear suspension system. It is the most adaptable bike ever. It climbs like a mountain goat and descends like the Ibis Mojo HD.

I am a trail/AM rider who needs to climb in order to descend the rocky and rooty sections. This bike is perfect for the job. The best part was that I got a new one for only 600 bucks! I ride in the bay area, so this type of terrain is great for the bike. This is a great bike for somebody that is looking forward to purchasing a high-end bike that isn't so expensive.

Make sure to put good-quality components that are new. A BIKE WILL PERFORM LIKE JUNK IF ALL YOU DO IS PUT JUNK COMPONENTS ON IT.

In general, I am very pleased with my bike. Too bad that it's the last bike made from the original titus in Tempe,Arizona before China bought it.

MSRP $1800- got for $600

Favorite Trail:   rocky ridge @ Santa teresa County park

Purchased At:   Craigslist.org

Similar Products Used:   This can't compare to anything. It's in it's own category.

Bike Setup:   2009 Titus Motolite Mako Grey-Anodized Large frame
Easton haven bars
DT Swiss 370 hubs, super comp spokes, stans notubes arch rims
Kenda Nevegal 2.1 DTC UST rear 2.35 DTC Front UST
WTB Devo saddle
2012 Fox Float 32 series 150 mm travel FIT RLC 15qr thru axle 1 1/8 straight steerer fork
2012 Fox RP23 rear shock

Submitted by Rollo8000 a Weekend Warrior from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2012

Strengths:    Fox Racing Shocks, Overall control of the suspension, Light, Stiff, Horst Link

Weaknesses:    This bike suffers from brake squat (opposite of brake jack). When braking in a rock garden, you can feel the suspension compress, then hesitate to decompress while the brake is active. This is partly due to the transfer of angular momentum from the tire into the suspension. Some argue that this gives more control for the bike, but it leaves it susceptible to bottoming out. Small bump performance is not spectacular. Also, the paint scratches easily.

Bottom Line:
The suspension is very controlled which is great on drops and providing an efficient ride, with good braking power. However, it suffers in the small bump performance category. It handles fine and is a blast to ride on single-track trail, and can take a beating more than its designed for.

Also a thing to note:
While this suspension offers great control and cornering, it is not the fastest suspension on the market, and if the trail has a lot of bumps close together, your booty will be feeling it after the ride. If you're looking for something quicker, then the Yeti 575 would be the better choice.

Favorite Trail:   Chimney Gulch

2006 Fox Float RP23
Avid BB7 Mechanical Disc brakes

Submitted by belchew a Cross Country Rider from Huntsville, AL

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2011

Strengths:    Light. Strong. Goes where it's pointed

Weaknesses:    Apparently the seat stay. Nothing a welding shop can't fix though

Bottom Line:
Amazing bike that does more than I can. Got it for Less than the price of two tires. Probably upgrade the rear brake in the near future. Titus customer support is great always friendly.

Favorite Trail:   sinks

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale trail 5

Bike Setup:   Monkey lite bars, x9 shifters. BB7 BB5 brakes.
King headset, talas fork, navgal crusader tires. Trek grips cannondale saddle. Xtr cranks and front x7 rear. Kmc chain.

Submitted by CrashT a Cross Country Rider from Missoula, MT

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2011

Strengths:    This is for the ML2, the second-generation Motolite. Light for an aluminum frame, the large with the Fox RP23 weighs 6 lbs. Stiff, very well balanced, climbs like an XC bike but is great on the downhill. Well-built; lots of riding time, and the bearings and bushings are still tight. Ano frame resists scratches. And it was built in the US.

Weaknesses:    Even after all this time I struggle to come up with any weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
I know Titus isn't selling the Motolite any longer; but I still had to write this review. This has been one great bike. It does buff trails, Sedona rocks, roots, whatever. Most of the trails around here are long climbs followed by long descents, and for that this bike with the TALAS fork is just excellent.

Purchased At:   Bob's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mt. ETSX, Trek 6900, Kona Blast, others.

Bike Setup:   Mavic Crossmax ST wheels, Fox TALAS RLC w/15mm axle, XT crank, FD. Other light parts. A little over 25 lbs.

Submitted by BMansfield a Weekend Warrior from Prescott

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2010

Strengths:    Solid construction, nice lines, made in the USA

Weaknesses:    Noisey alot of chain slap, put a bash guard on shorten the chain it will really quite the bike down. Horst suspension.

Bottom Line:
When I got this frame 3 years ago I thought now I can keep up with the guys I ride with on the downhills but I was still the slowest guy in the group so it must be me and I am just not a good rider. So I have tried also parts parts wider bars change the stem what ever but I am still the slowest guy in the group and I spent a lot of money on bike parts. So I have a nice MotoLite that I have had some good rides on but not the rides I thought I should be getting so after reading another article on Push Industries I decided to do it. Sent my RP2 in and a week and a half later got is back from Push followed the set up instructions and hit the trail. I LOVE PUSH INDUSTRIES AND MY MOTOLITE NOW it is a whole new bike and my GPS top speed proves it I have increased my downhill speeds so far 3.5 miles an hour faster. So a section I used to ride at 21 miles an hour now is at 24.5 miles an hour and the cornering is like on rails now it is a completely new bike. I an 155Lbs. with all my riding gear on so if anyone out there is around my weight or lighter (I cannot speak for heavy riders but the results should be the same) before you spend a lot money on parts have your shock Pushed RP2, RP3, or RP23 I cannot recomend it enough and how much it has improved my riding it is the best upgrade by far. For Climbing I would say a small improvement but on the downs, corners, and flowing singletrack sections oh my god it's good. For being the slowest rider in the group I consider myself lucky I get to ride with some guys from the A group and I am a C but now they don't have enough time to get off their bike and stretch at the bottom of the DH sections and I am even keeping some in my sights now. Get you shock Pushed.

Favorite Trail:   I don't know

Purchased At:   Bob's Bicycles 2007

Similar Products Used:   Giant Trance first model.

Bike Setup:   Small frame, RP2 Pushed, 4" gravity dropper it's great, 130mm Fox Talas, XT brakes, Sram XO grip shifts, XO rear DR, XT front DR, Shimano XTR cranks and Mavic Crosstrail wheels

Submitted by Bossmachine a Weekend Warrior from Nampa Id

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff frame even for a Clydesdale rider like myself. Handled Porcupine ridge in Moab like a champ! Fantastic climbing ability and the RP2 is great when switching to down hill. Very light for the type of bike. I enjoy the higher bottom bracket. This would probably not be a great bike for a shorter person because of the bottom bracket height, unless they adjust it down quite a bit in the smaller sizes. My Stumpjumper of the same frame size sits 2" lower than the Titus.

Weaknesses:    The Frame is great! but the fork that came with the bike is lacking. The forks is a Rock shox tora 5" travel, this is screaming for a 6" travel fork. The bike shifts fantastic and is smooth and buttery on the drops.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic ride! I would not hesitate to buy this frame. Very strong and stable platform and feels fast.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized stumpjumper FSR, Transition Preston, GT ruckus, etc...

Bike Setup:   Rock shox Tora solo air, Mavic Cross Max, Sram X9, Truvative cranks and Magura Julie brakes.

Submitted by Earthpig a Cross Country Rider from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2010

Strengths:    Climbs REALLY well for a 5" travel bike, but plenty plush on the DH - likely as a result of the RP23; stable geometry, anodized finish

Weaknesses:    Rear cable routing is tricky, especially installing pre-bled hydraulic brakes - you have to disassemble the entire suspension linkage to install the rear brake

Bottom Line:
Bought a new 2009 frame from Jensonusa for the grand total of $999, which, in retrospect, was a very good deal for as nice as this bike rides. It climbs better than any 5" travel frame I've ever owned and perhaps even better than the Racer X. A lot of this has to be attributed to the RP23 shock - switch on the propedal (I have mine set to the "2" position) and away you go uphill, with enough cush to take the edge off. Switch it off at the top (and bump your fork travel out to 140mm if you have an adjustable travel fork) and bomb it downhill. It took me a few rides to get it dialed in just right, but now I love the thing. Geometry is spot on for a longer travel "XC" bike. Snappy and stable. FAR superior climbing and downhill manners than the Ventana El Ciclon. Perhaps the best "all around" frame I've ever owned. Looking forward to many more years of pleasure!

Favorite Trail:   a happy one

Purchased At:   Jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Ventana X-5, Ventana El Ciclon, Titus Racer X

Bike Setup:   See here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=6704825&postcount=209

Submitted by scooterbuck@att.net a Weekend Warrior from Santa Rosa, Ca

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2009

Strengths:    This bike is strong and quiet. It has not let me down. If I can do the deed, it will deliver the goods. Where I ride, the terrain is quite varied and this bike lets me do things I just could not do on my old hardtail. My frame is black ano and seems bulletproof.

Weaknesses:    Decals not paint and some have come off.

Bottom Line:
This bike is everything I could ever want in a bike. If you want to ride and get better, ride this bike. I just keep finding more reasons to get out and looking for more people to ride with because it's so much fun.

Favorite Trail:   The Dark Side

Purchased At:   mtbr classified

Similar Products Used:   Rented a Gary Fisher 5" bike to do Downieville and was sold on fsb then started shopping and ended up with an ml.

Bike Setup:   Bought the frame and Push tuned rp23 slightly used and built it up with edge carbon bars and seatpost. WTB Laser-v sl saddle, Rockshoc Recon 351 coil u-turn with med-stiff spring, Truvativ Noir cranks with BBG Bashguard and Crank Bros 2ti eggbeater pedals fitted with tichromo spindles(190lb rider weight), Sram hollowpin chain, Shimano xtr fr and rr derailleur, Shimano xtr cassette, Sram Gripshift attack shifters, Avid BB7 brakes with 185mm G2 rotors, WTB Laserdisc Trail rims with American Classic hubs and ti skewers, Kenda Small Block Eight rear and WTB Weirwolf race front tires with Stan's sealant, and Avid Ilink housing(black mixed with silver) for a bit of bling.

Submitted by e0772yaz a Racer from glendale, az usa

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2009

Strengths:    titus motolite climbs great and decents is super smooth and has good control.. nice all-around bike with the right tire set-up you can ride anywhere.. with foxRP23 set up on rear suspension makes even better....

Weaknesses:    paint coating could be better, i had some paint chips on the bottom bracket tube and some on the down tube in just a couple of months.. but then again i ride alot so i guess thats just what happens..

Bottom Line:
bottom line is it rides awsome with the right set-up and the right tires makes a huge differance...

Favorite Trail:   national trail at south mountain

Purchased At:   javelina cycles in p

Similar Products Used:   felt virtue, santa cruz heckler, specialized stumpjumper.

Bike Setup:   x.o and xtr drive train, fox vanilla rlc front fork and RP23 rear shock. carbon bar and seat post. sdg seat. race face atlas cranks and hope mono6 brakes with dt swiss wheels 240hubs.. tires are always differant from maxxis to swabble and kendas, realy depends on where i ride at.

Submitted by henjared a Cross Country Rider from Boise

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2009

Strengths:    Well, after a while on the bike I have changed my mind. At first I loved it. But know I have had time to get it on many trails. I have to say it does climb really well, but on the rockey downs it sucks. I have a lot of money in this bike and I am going to lose a lot when it sells. But I hope it sells fast becuse I want a new bike A.S.A.P.

The bike ramps up in the rocks and I have spent plenty of time playing with the shock, nothing can fix this. I guess that is what I get for getting a bike with a 20 year old F.S.R. suspention on it. Know that I work at a bike shope I get to take out different demo bikes all the time, and their are so many bikes that can climb better and go down hill better. the real downer of this bike is at 27.5lbs built up with a good spek list is that is had the geomeitry of a cross country bike. I I wanted that I would of bough the racer X. For the 27.5 lbs I can run a bike that has 6in of travel with a much newer suspention desing on it. The worst thing to happen to Titus was for the founder Chris Cocalus to sell it. But I guess that is why Pivot is doing so well with the new D.W. link suspention desing.
So long storie short Titus make a bike with somting new on it. Not a 20 year old desing.
And yes I know I cant spell. But I shure ass hell can ride.

Weaknesses:    Suspension desing ramps up in the rocks. The 5in feels like a bad 4in.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line it is the last Titus I buy, unless they change the suspention they are using.

Favorite Trail:   Hard Guy

Purchased At:   Bobs bikes

Similar Products Used:   Titus Loco-Moto single pivot.

Bike Setup:   Fox Talas fork, Race Face crak, xo drive train and shifters. Mavick Cross Mas S.L. wheel set, and avid Juicy 7 disc.

Submitted by 770nbp a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2009

Strengths:    Horst link rear, forgiving geometry, stable feel at speed and in the ruff chatter, decent weight, "do it all" rig, climbs pretty well, decends very well, maneuverable for 5 incher, super fun bike to ride and confidence inspiring.

Weaknesses:    cables cut the paint after 1 ride (thin paint). square hits on the rear end effect the suspension negatively (can come to dead stop).

Bottom Line:
I wanted a do anything bike that wasnt going to break the bank. Had most of the build kit allready so I was shopping frame only. Tried several bikes as demos and through my riding buddies. I have also owned all the bikes I listed above except for the Pivot Mach V (did demo it). I found the Racer X and the Moto Lite to be the most fun, stable and confidence inspiring rides. I guess I'm just a Horst Link guy.

Favorite Trail:   Pinhotti

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Racer X 100, Ventana Saltamontes, Santa Cruz Blur, Specialized Epic, Pivot Mach IV, Pivot Mach V

Bike Setup:   Fox Vanilla 140 RLC Fork, XTR 960 Crank, Chris King/Sun Rhynolite Wheelset, King Headset, X-9 Shifters and Derailuers, Thomson Stem and Seat Post, 1 inch Monkey Lite Riser Bar, Fox RP2 Rear Shock

Submitted by Jared a Cross Country Rider from Boise, Idaho, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2009

Strengths:    This one of the best trail bikes I have been on. It feel great on the up's and downs

Weaknesses:    A little heavy but hey it is a trail bike

Bottom Line:
Bottom line, my Titus befor this had 20,000 miles on it I bought it 2002 it was the best bike I had untill I rode the Moto lite, I did have a Blure in between the 2 and this bike is way better. It clims better and with 5in of travil it goes down hill way better.

Yes I know I cant spell,but I can ride.

Thanks again Titus for making some great bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Bob's trail.

Purchased At:   Bob's Bikes in Boise