Titus FTM All Mountain Full Suspension

4.6/5 (15 Reviews)

• Butted 6000 series aluminum front triangle
  • Light Rail System featuring asymmetrical
  • 135mm rear wheel travel
  • Four oversized, sealed main pivot bearings
  • Fox Float RP23 w/ three position Pro Pedal

Submitted by thechez a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2013

Strengths:    Sturdy, efficient, tough as nails, precise, stiff

Weaknesses:    Heavy, no thru axle on rear

Bottom Line:
I was worried at first that the bike was just too heavy for my liking. I'd say mine is about 28 pounds. I haven't gotten weight weenie on it as I tried to color match it. This is the 2011 aluminum model of the FTM line. It's a burly beast that backs down from nothing. For having a 140 fork it climbs well(minus it's portly weight) and descends like a beast. I doubt it's in the gravity category but compared to my last bike(Yeti AS-R) I can really push this thing through the rocks and it doesn't whimper one bit. I get no brake feedback on the rear end or dive in the travel. With the Monarch RT3 it just gobbles everything up. I leave it in the "Trail" position and it does it all. I have a Revelation up front and the steering is very precise and it can turn on short notice. I have Chris King fun bolts on the rear and the rear end is very stiff. Shame they don't put a thru axle on this and have no plans to do so in the future. Overall it's a fun bike that will go just about anywhere you want minus a dh course. If only it could lose a pound or so it would be easier to climb.
I've been taking into more rocky and gnarly places than smooth trails and it's a joy. It does a great job at gobbling up anything in it's path and keeps me on line. Not a race rig but more of a charge the mountain kind of ride.
Great job by Titus on this one. If I somehow(SOMEHOW!) broke mine I'd buy another.

Favorite Trail:   Ape Canyon

Purchased At:   Bit by bit

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Homegrown, Yeti AS-R, Voodoo Canzo

Bike Setup:   FTM Medium, AKA bar(711mm), AKA stem(50mm), '11 Revelation RCT3, XT 10 speed shifters, X9 front, XT rear, SLX cranks(2x), XT cassette, Thomson stem, Chris King green hubs(with fun bolts), Velocity Blunt SL rims, Mountain King rear, Trail King front

Submitted by Pier a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2012

Strengths:    This is the new 2012 carbon FTM.
With the addition of the new Fox CTD shock it really climbs like a goat! It feels so light and manurable up and down hill. Am using a Fox 32 with 120mm and works just great. On my first long ride in trail it felt like I had owned it for long... fits perfectly.

Weaknesses:    You should require a special tunning for the shock to be 48mm stroke instead of the standard 50mm, but I just left it that way and so far it hasn't been a problem

Bottom Line:
I occasionally do marathon races and was concerned maybe I should choose a shorter travel bike but after using it am sure I made the right decision. The bike is just great and am so happy to have chosen it.

Favorite Trail:   Devil's Gulsh near Wenatchee, WA

Duration Product Used:   One week

Purchased At:   Titus in Portland

Similar Products Used:   KTM Comp R1

Bike Setup:   FOX 32 120mm fork, Fox CTD shock, Formula Oro Puro brakes, Bontrager XLite wheels, Maxxis Advantage UST, XT shifters, Truvative Noir cranckset, carbon handlebar. Total weight 11.4kg = 25.1 pounds

Submitted by DianeWong a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2012

Strengths:    Very good climber, outstanding descender, pedals great, rides and handles nice, the gold anno color is beautiful and has not faded. I am rating the 2009 FTM(1 1/8" headset) which was purchased from Jenson in September,2010 along with a Fox TALUS fork. The bike weighs in at 27.1lbs complete with Gravity Dropper Turbo seatpost.

Weaknesses:    Some early FTMs had chainstay issues(according to the forums). So far there have been no problems,but I'm careful to keep an eye on things!
I must unscrew the QR skewer nut in order to remove the rear wheel(this is a non issue for me).

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent light/medium duty trailbike for this 190lb 5'8" rider. It isn't quite as burley as my '04Titus Switchblade,yet it does everything better and it's lighter. It must be stated that the Switchblade was,and still is, a fine bike,but the FTM is what I grab for trail rides. I bought the frame and built it up exactly how I wanted it including the wheels.
Ride On,
George

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon

Duration Product Used:   2years

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   '04 Titus Switchblade TALUS

Bike Setup:   '09FTM med. gold anno.
'10 Fox 140 TALUS tapered steerer,15QR,Kashima coating,FIT fork
FoxRP23 shock
Cane Creek 110 headset
Easton Monkeylite bar
Thomson 70mm Elite stem
XTR crankset, bb, cassette, front der., pedals
Hope X2 Race brakes
Mavic819 rims-CK hubs-DT Comp.spokes wheelset
Panracer firepro 2.1 UST front tire
Maxis LarsenTT 2.0 UST rear tire
SRAM X0 shifters&rear der.
Gravity dropper Turbo seatpost

maxis

Submitted by ryderjin a Weekend Warrior from Orange County, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2011

Strengths:    In my perspective, nearly the ideal cross-country/trail geometry:
Climbing -- even on super steep grade -- is predictable, never squirrelly (even without locking out the fork), which is weird because the bike has so much travel. Efficient, fast-tracking. (Honestly, I climb better on this than on my hardtail.)

Going downhill: Okay, it does feel 'shorter' than the 135mm would have you think... but tracks quite well. (I am still tweaking the excellent Fox RP23 setup for the bike.) If you have decent technique, you can bomb with this bike. Horst Link is executed quite well here... predictably, though not plush suspension. The tapered front headset definitely adds to the sense of control when you need it.

Just a tiniest bit of pedal-bob when you are spinning along, but otherwise feels quite fast, efficient, and light.

On top of all that, it is "Made in the USA." Not that other countries can't make good bikes, but this is a point of pride for some, becoming a rarity nowadays.

Weaknesses:    This is the 2010 frame model, and they dealt with the early 2009 problems with 1) bad carbon "light rail" stays, and 2) the low bb issue. This year model is the one that they should have put out in the first place.

Two weaknesses remain:
1. Cable-routing. The standard routing takes it through the rocker. And it is just not a good place for this. While I do not have any ghost-shifting issues, there is unnecessarily annoying cable rattle/rub.

2. As most of you know, Titus went bankrupt and was just bought out by a new company. So future support remains questionable. Hopefully not, as On-One seems to be stepping up.

3. Possible cosmetic issues: The paint is flawless. But 2010 model uses decals, which is bound to get scratched up easily. Probably saves a bunch of change (and may be easier to replace) but for a frame of this level, I would expect a bit more work here...

I do have to confess, while the frame seems well-made, I cannot comment on its long-term durability.

Bottom Line:
With all that is going on with the ownership of the once mighty Titus brand, one might question the point of writing a review of a product that may never see the light of day again. Well, I am writing this review because the FTM really deserves to continue on. The 2010 model, possibly with some minor tweaks, stands as an amazing cross-country leaning trail frame.

Summary: Awesome (ideal?) trail bike for those coming from the cross-country side.

Favorite Trail:   Santiago Truck

Purchased At:   frame only

Bike Setup:   Titus 2010 aluminum frame, Shimano XT drive train and wheels, Hayes Stroker brakes, Thomson post, stem, Fizik Gobi seat.

Submitted by bruteman a Weekend Warrior from Seoul, South Korea

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2010

Strengths:    Awesome anodized orange finish, strong climber, able downhiller.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Perfectly suited for the rocky, steep terain here in Korea. No flex problems at all. I love it. Probably would be a little heavy for lighter riders, but if you're also a person of girth this bike won't let you down.

Favorite Trail:   Namhan

Purchased At:   Jensons (frame only)

Similar Products Used:   Jamis XLT

Bike Setup:   Custom wheelset (Hadley hubs, Mavic 321 rims, DT Swiss spokes), Fox RCL fork, X9 shifters and derailers, Hussefelt 2x9 crankset, Thomson stem, Truvativ pro-team carbon bar, WTB grips, Avid Elixer R brakes

Submitted by tmarko a Cross Country Rider from Durango, CO

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2010

Strengths:    2010 FTM Carbon:
Stiff, light, quick, stable, good standover clearance
clean look with internal routing

Weaknesses:    future of company unknown,
subtle difference between pro-pedal/non pedal setting for the RP23 shock (needs to be revalved in my opinion.
having to break a hydraulic line to route the rear disk thru the frame's internal routing.

Bottom Line:
After riding and demo'ing several bikes and then riding this one, it was clear which bike I wanted. I was looking for a long travel bike with handling traits more towards the cross country side of things than a full-on free ride bike. Its not quite as plush as the Mojo but quicker and stiffer, and had a better overall ride quality than the LTc. Its climbing ability is awesome, especially in the really steep w/the fork in the 100mm setting. Descending is rock solid, especially with the fork in the 140 setting. The QR15 (a 1st for me) combined with the 1.5" to 1 1/8" steerer tube makes for a very solid front end which aids in both attacking rock garden corners and just rocketing downhill with confidence. For normal singletrack attacking, the 120 fork setting allows for quick but stable handling. Overall the handling is neutral but quite cabable of handling tight singletrack. Both the front triangle and the rear end are stiff and solid. To me, its the best overall ride I've ever been on. Sure, there are some with more or softer travel or quicker handling but with less travel but every time I go for a ride now, I think its just an AWESOME ride. Its light, stiff & nimble enough for long distance racing but solid enough for all day high country adventures...

Favorite Trail:   its all good...

Purchased At:   2nd Ave Sports

Similar Products Used:   3 previous Racer-X's, GFisher Hi-Fi Pro Carbon (broke), Ibis Mojo,
Blur LTcarbon

Bike Setup:   XTR, 10' Fox RLC Talus (100-140)QR 15, Marta SL's, Stans/240's, Thomson, S-Work carbon bar, 2.1 tires, 24.9 lbs (med.)

Submitted by Tiptx a Cross Country Rider from Willard Ohio

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2010

Strengths:    Fantastic build quality, predictable handling, durable, stiff Very light, agile and comfortable. Great looking (Sexy).

Weaknesses:    None for me as some may say the price but this bike is worth every penny. When it comes to MTB, you get what you pay for. If you want great without problems & something you know will handle what you dish out, you pay for it. So glad I did

Bottom Line:
This is the Carbon 2010 FTM & all I can say is WOW! Props to RBIKES.com who took such stellar care to build such a great bike for me. Adam & Mike went over the parts selection with me carefully, made the extra effort to obtain hard to get parts, built the bike exquisitely. This is the best bike I have ever owned. Mine weighs in at 24 which is lighter than my C'Dale Scapale. I did some research on the Internet about several bikes before I went into Richards or Rbikes.com & whoever said you can't find a good deal & get a great build from the internet is crazy. I got a great deal on the price and was really impressed at how knowledgeable the staff was, they gave me a lot of insight on what I was buying and also on other bikes it compares to. Thanks to Adam for being so patient with me as this build started over a year ago. It was worth every penny & absolutely one magnificant looking & now the fun is back into riding a mountain bike

Favorite Trail:   Holiday Lakes

Purchased At:   Richards Bike

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel, Giant VT2, Cannondale Scapale. Bikes I was considering was Ellsworth Epiphany, Turner 5 Spot, Ibis Mojo SL, Santa Cruz Blur LT as this Titus just has that something special when looking at it as it's one fantastic ride

Bike Setup:   FRAME: Titus FTM Carbon (Red & Black)
BRAKE LEVERS
Shimano XT Disc 160mm rotor
REAR SHOCK
Fox Float RP23 Shock
SEAT CLAMP
Salsa Quick release (red)
SEAT POST
Shimano Shadow XT
SHIFTERS
Shimano XT
FORK
Fox Float 32 R wth QR 15 through axle system 5.5"/ 150mm travel with air spring pressure and rebound adjust with 7050 aluminum steerer
FRONT HUB
TIRES
Front: 26"x 2.3 Kenda Nevgal, 120 tpi with Kevlar bead, Rear: same only 2.1

Submitted by djs165 a Weekend Warrior from Durham, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2010

Strengths:    Plush Ride, Light Weight

Bottom Line:
This bike is my first FS bike. It replaces a Specialized Stumpjumper HT Comp. I have been riding the bike for about three months now and enjoy it immensely. The trails in my area are very rocky and rooty, so the FS has been a welcome change from my HT. I was concerned that there would be a decrease in climbing ability, but have not experienced any. The bike climbs well and the handling is agile. I haven't experienced any of the rear triangle issues mentioned in some prior reviews. So perhaps Titus has resolved those. I am a large rider (6'5" 220#) and the Large frame fits me well. I would recommend this bike to anyone looking for an excellent all around trail bike.

Favorite Trail:   Beaver Dam

Purchased At:   The Clean Machine

Similar Products Used:   None - this is my first FS bike

Bike Setup:   Large Black frame, Fox RL fork, Easton Monkeylite Riser bar, SRAM X9 derailleur, SRAM X7 shifters, Magura Louise disk brakes, Shimano XT crankset, Mavic DeeTraks rims, Specialized Captain tires.

Submitted by scpete a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2010

Strengths:    Plush ride, precise handling, light weight.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I demo'ed this bike this past weekend after riding the Rockstar 29'er. I have been considering a dual suspension bike and was leaning toward a DS 29'er. After riding both, I am still considering the 29'er, but the FTM impressed me and made me reconsider a 26'er as a good option. Thanks to Mike, the local Titus rep, we were able to take the bikes out for a couple of hours on our local trails to get a really good sense of their capabilities.

The FTM Carbon has 5 inches of travel and really managed all of the bumps and rocks I took it over. The bike had a very plush ride. I could tell the difference in ride firmness between this and the 29'er. It was a bit "squishier" but still a very tight ride. I didn't notice any of the flex issues of previous models, so I assume that these have been resolved.

The bottom line for this bike is that it is also an amazingly sweet bike and reaffirmed my plan to start saving for a Titus. I am not sure if it will be the FTM or the Rockstar 29'er, but either would be a welcome addition.

Favorite Trail:   Bobcat Ridge

Seat Post: Titus Carbon
Grips: ODI Ruffian

Submitted by 33MTB a Weekend Warrior from East Coast, USA

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent geometry for aggressive trail riding, very comfortable cockpit.

Weaknesses:    REAR TRIANGLE IS A WET NOODLE

Bottom Line:
The geometry on this bike couldn't be better. It is comfortable and perfect for trail riding. BUT, the rear triangle has a tremendous amount of lateral flex. When the chain is on the smaller cogs of the cassette, I can actually make the tire hit the chainstay when pedaling. The tire clearence is also an issue, which shouldn't be a problem since I'm using the tires that they sell with the bike. The space between the tire and the chainstay is not equal on both sides, which seems to compound the aforementioned issue.

And yes, I'm sure after this post, someone will post a glowing review to get the average back up. But I honestly wouldn't buy this bike again unless they fix this major design/quality control problem.

Purchased At:   Biker Bob (online)

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain ETSX, Trek Fuel EX 7, Giant Anthem.

Bike Setup:   Large Aluminum FTM with; Full XT, No Tubes Flow rims, and Kenda Nevegal tires.

Submitted by Alistair G a Racer from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight, sweet suspension, all round performance

Weaknesses:    Rear tire room a little tight at chainstay yoke, cable routing

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks! I bought this to complement my X-Carbon race bike and for playing around with my DH mates on rougher XC rides. The bike is a 2009.5 with 2009 frame and 2010 Fox suspension. TALAS feature is great for long climbs especially with short 80mm stem and 685mm bars. Descending is too much fun but bike will also do some planned epic rides at Mt Buller this summer. MBAction write that this is one of their favourite trail bikes and I can see why. Just don't go toocrazy on rear tyre size. I'm running Maxxis 2.25 Advantage F and 2.25 Crossmark R which seems to be a good combination.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Stromlo

Purchased At:   Incline Sports

Similar Products Used:   Titus X-Carbon, Turner Flux, Santa Cruz Blur

Bike Setup:   2010 Fox Talas RLC QR15, 2010 RP23, XT/XTR groupset/wheels, Chris King, Easton EC70 lo-rise 685mm bars, Thomson 80mm stem & Masterpiece post

Submitted by Rickterrusty a Cross Country Rider from Santa Barbara CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2009

Strengths:    This is a great 5" Trail Bike that is super light and pretty stiff. With the Horst link and the Fox RP23 this thing can do anything, from almost locked out to super plush. The Carbon Triangle really adds some damping to the over all ride as well. Also the powder coat paint job is super durable.

Weaknesses:    There was some problems with the rear carbon seat stays, they had made them not heavy duty enough. I talked to Titus and they new about the problem and had made a new seat stay that fixed all the problems, even the tire rub that the first reviewer talked about.

Bottom Line:
This is a great do everything bike. I am also i preety big guy at 225 without gear and this bike handles it no problem. I have done long XC rides as well as some light DH and it does it all in stride. It pedals like a champ and is plush. It is so light and stiff that it is almost perfect!!! I have been riding for 15 years and this is the do it all bike I have been looking for.

Favorite Trail:   Downeville Downhill

Purchased At:   Velo Pro, Santa Barb

Similar Products Used:   Giant, Trek, KHS, Jamis

Bike Setup:   2009 Titus FTM White, Rock Shox Revelation U-turn, Fox RP23, Easton carbon hand bars and seat post, and Havoc wheelset, SLX front and rear derailleurs, LX cranks and shifters, Thompson stem, and Hayes Stroker Ryde disc brakes, WTB Pro Gel saddle, Chris King headset and BB, Sram 990 chain and cassette.

Submitted by kartman a Weekend Warrior from Philippines

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2009

Strengths:    Plush.
Great anodized black/gloss decal treatment
Compared to the ML2, climbs as well, descends even better!
Pretty light! Got my trail bike down to 26 lbs.

Weaknesses:    Cable routing for rear derailleur (housing goes through swing link and this causes the housing to rub against the link and the seat tube).

Bottom Line:
Another great frame design from Titus.
The Horst link is a proven design that works, period! Nuf said.

I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a do-it-all bike.

Favorite Trail:   Taloy Sur

Purchased At:   Sabak Sports

Similar Products Used:   Intense 5.5 VPP
Titus Motolite 1
Titus Motolite 2

Bike Setup:   Fox RLC, Shimano XT/SRAM Rocket drivetrain, Avid Juicy 7, Mavic Crossmax, Thomson stem/post, FSA XC riser bar, ODI grips, Jagwire hoses/cable housings, Specialized Enduro S-works/Schwalbe Nobby Nic tires

Submitted by 'T' a Weekend Warrior from San Fran

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight for a 5in bike, badass blackano with glossy TITUS AND FTM. Climbs well decends even better.

Weaknesses:    none except had a problem with chain rub on the rear stays, shop added a shim supplied by Titus to correct problem.

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for a trailbike put this on you short list along with the SantaCruz Blur LT. A great bike that does everything well. If looks could kill! Made in America want else could you ask for. The rider from Maui sounds like he had problems with the parts package not the bike itself or the frame.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Roaring Mouse

Similar Products Used:   GT ZASKAR X, Trek Liquid

Bike Setup:   Small, complete custom build, with XT drivetrain, Hayes strokertrail, Wtb laserdisctrail with Kenda Nevegals, Thomson post and stem, Ritchey bar and lockon grips, Fox talas rlc and rp23, selle italia slk and sram chain.

Submitted by Maui Rider a Weekend Warrior from Kula, Maui, Hawaii

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight, Horst Link, crawls though the tight stuff, riders cockpit is a nice fit, Fox Talas 32 fork is very ridgid with the 15QR axle, Crank Bros. rims were a nice free up grade

Weaknesses:    Titus support - had component problems and Titus taking care of them. New light rail rear end is flexy

Bottom Line:
I bought the FTM because I was very impressed with a Racer X that I bought for my wife several years ago. I had bought the Racer X originally because it was one of the only bikes that came in a XXS size to fit my 5' tall wife, but I found that it was a great little bike with a Horst Link that was easy to maintain. When I ordered the new FTM, they said it would come in 2 to 3 weeks; it came in 4. When it did come, the front hub was set up for a regular quick release, not for the 15QR Fox fork. Also, the rear brake mount for the Magura disc was missing. Titus did promptly send out the new hub parts and brake mount.

The next problem was with the FSA cranks. The chain would not stay on the middle front chainring when in the big back cog. The chainring teeth appeared to be machined wrong and the teeth were much fatter than teeth on other chainrings. When my dealer, Chris Huber at Huber Cycles called Titus, they told him to call FSA. After a go around with FSA, they finally agreed to send a new chainring. Also I found that the blue "bling-bling" chainring bolts were cheap and sloppy. I lost one after putting on a different chairing until the new FSA chainring comes. I had to put in my own chainring bolts.

The next problem I have is that the hose on the Magura Marta front brake leaks fluid at the crimped on the aluminum hose end. Titus also told Chris Huber to contact Magura to fix the problem. I feel Titus is just passing on the problem, rather then taking care of it; still waiting for chainring bolts and brake hose.

I now have about 14 rides on the bike. The rear rim was dished a little to the left of center in the swingarm. When I torqued up steep up hills, I could make the rear-end flex to where the tire hit the swingarm. I re-dished the rim and it no longer hits the swingarm, but I know that the new Light Rail suspension design is flexy, not built like my wife's old trusty Racer X.

Even though the bike has some good points, I don't think I would buy another Titus again. Too many problems with Titus support and a whimpy rear end.

Favorite Trail:   Makawao Forest Reserve