Titus El Guapo All Mountain Full Suspension

4.82/5 (44 Reviews)

Titus exclusive ATF-formed 6000 series aluminum front triangle Advanced Thermal Forming uses a super heated, pressurized gas to soften an aluminum tube so that it may be formed into complex shapes and butting profiles inside of a clamshell mold. The resulting tube has optimized strength and weight profiles, providing for a lighter and stronger frame.
  • 1.5" Headtube offers greater strength and compatibility with newer long-travel, single crown forks
  • ISCG tabs for chainguide mounting
  • All-new, redesigned rear triangle featuring ATF technology
  • ATF seat stay is formed from a single, continuous tube to boost stiffness while shedding weight from the previous three piece design
  • New design saves 156grams over '09 rear triangle
  • 155mm of travel controlled by a custom-valved 2010 Fox RP23 shock

Submitted by Tony Ratcliffe

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2013

Strengths:    Efficient but plush rear end, fully ball raced swing arm, light for an AL bike with 150mm travel. The Monarch RCT3 works well. Value.

Weaknesses:    Eer, the finish isn't as good as the big companies. I'd love to see a 27.5 compatible rear stay option.

Bottom Line:
Review for V3
With a short stem, wide bars & Reverb dropper this bike is great fun. It climbs far better than I imagined & with both ends in "open" mode & the seat dropped hustles downhill without noise or fuss.
I very occasionally strike the pedals but I also do this on all of my other bikes.
All in all a great & cheap am/trail bike & a bit different from the masses.

Favorite Trail:   Kalamunda

Purchased At:   On One UK

Bike Setup:   I have a 2013 V3 fitted with a RS 27.5 Revelation 150 solo air, Stans Flow wheels, STX 2x10 with clutched rear mech & Hope M4 183/160 brakes. I run a 2.35 Hans Dampf/2.25 Nic Snakeskin combi set up tubeless.

Submitted by Bruce a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2013

Strengths:    I built up my El Guapo at the end of 2012 and had been riding it since. I went from a Titus Motolite to an El Guapo, and I had no regret of the upgrade. The bike handles like a dream and it looks "handsome". Although I mainly ride in Houston's trails (more XC oriented trails) but I can be a little more aggressive if I wanted too with my EG. The bike will take whatever I can ride and begged for more. just like many riders had mentioned, I am too the only weakness of the bike. I have few other riders came up to me and checked out my bike then suggested me to try other bikes(spezz... and some other bike brands offered at the local store), I just smile and ride off with my EG knowing I don't really envy any of those bikes. If anyone have an opportunity to ride an EG, then I would suggested take it for a spin. I promised you will smile from ear to ear.

Weaknesses:    I craved for the EG with a thru axle in the rear. But nothing perfect!

Bottom Line:
What can I say! El Guapo is the bike for me for the next few years. It pedals and handles well in the trail. Most important of all, it kept me faithful to my bike ( I don't feel the need to cast any wonder eyes to any other bike in the trail yet). With the right set up, this is a dream machine for you to envy!

Favorite Trail:   Any trail would be do

Duration Product Used:   9 month

Purchased At:   I built it up from w

Bike Setup:   sram XO and Shimano XTR mixed component. XTR M988 trail wheels, Formula racing R1 carbon levers with the one calipers. Racing Ralph 2.25 rear tire with Noby Nic 2.4 front. Top it of with a answer carbon handlebar 720mm, and a few matching accessories. All together I got one mean handsome Ride.

Submitted by Dave a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2013

Strengths:    Purchase price is in sterling, not dollars and for frame only!
Not as heavy as I was expecting - around the 30lb mark.
Climbs nearly as well as by Titus X
Marmite looks - I've got it in the raw finish and love it
Going to get me in trouble on the downhills!

Weaknesses:    Chain guide wouldn't fit with a double on the front - was wanting to use a Blackspire but the ICSG mounting plate is too far out and it catches on the chainring.

Bottom Line:
Only had a few rides so far, built it up from part from my Prophet frame and it's definately a better climber and better on the rough stuff. I found my prophet felt like it was being slowed down in rock gardens but this just steams through them - found myself pedalling to go faster through a few!
The raw finish is very nice, should wear well in the wet and mud where I live.
The monarch shock seems to be ok, time will tell.
Cockpit feels short which suits me and makes chucking it about easier.
I'll update this once I get a few more rides under my belt.

Favorite Trail:   Fort William DH

XT drivetrain
Gravity dropper classic seatpost

Submitted by noufa777 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2013

Strengths:    Shred allmountain track both descending and ascending greatly. Very controllable on downhill section, comfortable for all day riding. Uphill like XC bike, seriously, if you go with 'propedal' choice on rear shock it keep pedalling efficiency high.
Great deal on pricing

Weaknesses:    Some issues in 2012's low bottom bracket frames, but solved in 2013 line up

Bottom Line:
We don't need fancy bike to obtain great performance of riding. I used this el Guapo for 6 months. It descends and shred bumps of rocky section with a buttery smooth-agile-stabilized feeling, cornering in full speed and control. It also climb confidently jut like XC bike. I have a great moment in some events when passing by XC carbon bike on asphalt long climbing section (both 26er andn 29er!) and giving them a smile plus thumb.
Yes this is simply and truly do it all bike.
The el Guapo frame's weight 3 kg, quite light for alloy fullsus, event some carbon AM frames reach 3 kg.

Favorite Trail:   Puncak (GM DH, Walini, NuRA n TW), Maninjau (Lawang Park)

Bike Setup:   Titus el Guapo V3 2012 size S with RS Monarch RT3, RS Lyrik RC2L fork, SLX Groupset & Hubset 2 x 10 setting with Truvativ Bashguard, Alexrims Supra 34 rims, Answer protaper handlebar, KS i950 Adjustable seatpost, Maxxis Minion DHF & Medusa,

Submitted by Wil a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2012

Strengths:    Supply & smooth
Climbs well
Descends amazingly well!
Stiff
Looks awesome.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Very confidence inspiring ride. Built up right it is capable of epic day rides, techy single track, steep climbs and DH. It's a real do it all bike. If like me you can't justify or afford more than one bike then the El Guapo is the answer and at £599.99 from on-one it's an absolute steal!

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere rideable

Purchased At:   On-one.co.uk

Bike Setup:   150 mm fork
1x9 gears
Dropper post

6'2" riding M frame

Submitted by mnigro a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2012

Strengths:    Climbs incredibly well- scary good. Holds a line well, very light for 150mm frame, corners well, looks sweet.

Weaknesses:    Low BB takes some getting used to. Not the same attention to quality as the old Titus but still a solid build. The head tube was not reamed out properly but Brant, not On One/Titus, but Brant made good by me.

Bottom Line:
So, if you are looking for a bad asss AM bike that climbs like a hard tail or 3" XC bike, look else where. I'm not sure why you'd want that. Those bikes tend to get hung up on square edge stuff, big rocks and roots, etc. IMO, this bikes biggest attribute is how well it climbs. Just stay seated, put it in low, get into position and pedal. I am completely amazed at what I can clear on this bike. It's actually made me like climbing, well... as much as possible. This bike clears chunky, super steep, techie sections like nothing I've ever ridden. The low headtube doesnt wander and the front stays planted with little lift if any. This is how an AM bike should climb - not like a locked-out 22 pound racer.

The low BB takes some getting used to. I have the v2 El G. With a 150 Sektor on the front and fatty tires my BB comes to about 13.25 inches. If I had a Lyrik it would raise it to about 13.5. More in line with other AM sleds but still a bit low. It's a trade off though as the bike corners like a slopestyle ripper. The HTA is more trail-bike like with the 150mm fork, about 68 degrees. A proper 160 fork would slack it out a bit more.

I bout this bike to replace a gen 1.5 SC Nomad. The Nomad beat this bike in the DH category as that bike could plough through anything and eat it up. However, that is one of the same things that made the Mad feel sluggish on the less gnarley trails and it felt overkill for general trail riding. It also suffered incredibly from pedal feedback and tech climbing was not its strong point. Great bike though.

The El Guapo is super nimble and feels much more like a trail bike in tight singletrack but has true AM pedigree and can hang with the best of them when the trail points down and things get fast. It is also the best iteration of the Horst link that I have ridden, and I've been on a few. No bob, traction in spades, doesn't squat on steep climbs - it's just the titties.

Bottom line, if you are not looking to drop $2500+ on a Knolly, SC, Ibis, Turner, etc. this should be one to consider.

Purchased At:   Titus / On One

Similar Products Used:   Past frames: KHS xc604, Salsa El Kaboing, Ragley Blue Pig, MotoLite, SC Blur 4x, SC Nomad

Bike Setup:   El G v2 with Sektor 150 air, x9/XT mix, KS dropper post, Oozey wheels and a high-mid level component mix. Sick bike.

Submitted by Richard Parenzan

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2012

Strengths:    -Super strong build quality
-Looks great
-Handles fantastic
-Confidence builder
-Made in the USA

Weaknesses:    -Low bottom bracket
-Can't think of anything else

Bottom Line:
Let me start by saying that I'm 6'5' 225. I needed a big burley bike. The El Guapo does not disapoint. It has given me a tremendous amout of confidence which has made me a much better rider. No longer am I feeling scetchy and afraid to hit moderate obstacles. I say moderate because I'm a 36 year old father of 2 and have not been able to grow the calzones to huck myself off a 20 foot gap jump. 5 foot drops? No problem. Fast rocky downhills? No problem. The bike can do so much more than my ability allows.
Up hill is just as surprising. The pedal feel is great and the frame just wants to go. I go faster uphill on this bike with a 160 mm Lyric fork than I did on my Kona hardtail.
If your looking for a bike that goes downhill like a 6" bike but climbs like a 4" bike than the indestructable El Guapo is worth looking into.

Submitted by Paul a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2012

Strengths:    Its allright as an xc trail bike, but a tad heavy for uphill. A stock GT Sektor is a lot better bike.

Weaknesses:    Too jittery and twitchy on steering. Noticeable flex on sudden turns, berms and rock beds, too scary for jumps. Felt like the rear wheel is gonna come off. Will not recommend fork travel more than 150mm, anything else will make it more jittery and increase the wheelbase, then more flex is noticeable.

Bottom Line:
Too flexy for an all mtn. The GT Sektor felt more solid, nimble and predictable and its only an xc category. My el guapo has a bit more travel but the frame design is to weak for the intended purpose. Very unpredictable and hard to handle on downhill with oncoming imbedded and loose rocks, gotta slow down. I have no confidence on this frame so I'am selling it really cheap.

Similar Products Used:   GT Sektor and Trek Rumblefish

Submitted by Johnny RC a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff, stable, very burly frame. Properly set up, the most forgiving bike I have ever ridden. Corners incredibly, and climbs like a 3"xc bike.

Weaknesses:    Low BB, causing more pedal strikes than I ever had before, but learned to adjust pedal cadence, and that was over. I can see how some would think the cable routing is tricky, but I personally had no problem with it, and the cables have not gotten in my way. One of the cable tie grommets is right where my Right knee goes by the frame, so really trimmed that zip tie down, and even filed it smooth so when I do hit it, it doesn't scratch me.

Bottom Line:
This frame doubled my love of mountain biking. I love to ride this bike. Here in Montana, we have everything from slickrock, to loamy back country trails, and even some downhill parks, and this bike does it all with ease. I can climb some very gnarly technical ascents, and then bomb down without being too picky about my line. This bike bombs right through rock gardens I would have walked with previous bikes. The low BB makes cornering insane, I almost feel more like I'm surfing the trail sometimes, because it seems like I just THINK where I want to go and it happens. I guess I really can't properly put it all into words, you just need to ride one for yourself and see. Bottom line, I have done DH and Back Country epics on the same setup, all performed A+. This bike is not necessarily for weight weanies, though if I used mostly carbon furniture and wheels I bet it could get below 28lbs. As mine is set up, it runs a little over 30.
Also note, I'm a mini-Clyde, at 5'6" and 200lbs. I switched the fork to a RS Sektor coil 150mm, and the bike could care less about my weight.

Favorite Trail:   Silver Run

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Fat Possum, Demo'd Trek Fuel, and Spec Stumpy, wanted my EG right back.

Bike Setup:   Mostly SRAM x9, RaceFace bars and seatpost, easton rims, 2x9 drivetrain with bashguard, Fox RP23 and Rock Shox Sektor coil, Avid elixir 5's with 185mm rotors (clyde friendly), and WTB Bronson 2.3 front and back. Though I think I'm going to switch the back tire to a Tioga psycho genius 2.3, as the Bronson on the back has a tendency to slide out on angled rock ascents, even running pressure at 30psi.

Submitted by mabplana a Weekend Warrior from Sammamish, WA

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2011

Strengths:    Amazing predictability! Low bottom bracket with spot on Geometry allows you to rail the corners and stomp the hits! Pedals very well, and climbs like a goat!

Weaknesses:    If you XC most of the time, the bottom bracket is on the low side, so you need to change your rhythm at times and to have pedal strikes. However if it was not for the low BB the would not handle as amazing as it does!

Bottom Line:
Don't buy it if you are a weight weeny! Buy It if you ride like my next statement! This bike is so much fun, and versatile! I have never had a bike where I can session the pump track, go for a 20 mile ride, then stomp 30 foot tables in the bike park, while hitting 7 to 9 foot drops, all in the same afternoon without having to make any adjustments! Enough said! 2010 El Guapo!

Favorite Trail:   Semper Dirticus!

Purchased At:   tituscycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Maverick ML8, Giant AC2

Bike Setup:   Fulcrum Red Zone Wheels, Shimano XT drive train, Rock Shox Lyrik with DH damper and dual flow rebound, Rock Shox Monarch RT3 shock, Straight Line pedals, Rock Shox Re-verb seat post, 750mm bars with 50mm stem, Tire: knobby knicks,

Submitted by *MoonDogg* a Cross Country Rider from San Clemente, CA USA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2011

Strengths:    - 1.5 HT is burly and stiff.
- Short HT for flexible headset options.
- ISCG tabs like a true AM bike should. Hammerschmidt works awesome.
- Room and mounts for proper coil over shock
- Stylish! It is the 'El Guapo' after all.
- Lots of cable attachment braze-ons for nice cable routing.
- FSR suspension is battle tested.

Weaknesses:    Even though there are a lot of nice attachment points for cable routing, in can still be tricky to get it right, and prevent some of the cables from sticking out into your legs when the rear compresses.
Company went bankrupt, and though they are back in business with new owner, what becomes of Titus remains to be seen. They claim to be honoring warranties still.

Bottom Line:
Aggressive, true all mountain bike that can honestly climb anything, and I mean I can climb some trails that people can't believe are even possible. Pop my Reverb seat all the way up, drop the Talas to 100mm, lean forward and pedal up anything.

Once you're at the top, pop the fork up to 160mm, drop the Reverb, and bomb down, purposely aiming for the roughest sections, hitting all the drops, and do it all in stride and style.

For the rest of the XC single track, I put the Talas in 130 and just rally!

Favorite Trail:   Dirt Merchant, Whistler

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro, Specialized FSR, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Bike Setup:   Talas 160 (Push'd), RockShox Monarch, X.9/X0 SRAM 3x9, with gripshift (FTW!), Race Face SIXC carbon bars, Race Face Havoc stem, Avid Elixir CR brakes, Hammerschmidt, Reverb seatpost, Crank Brothers Iodine wheels, WTB Weirwolf, Crank Brothers Acid pedals, WTB seat, ODI Rogue lock-on grips

Submitted by Mon Guapo a Cross Country Rider from Paranaque, NCR, Philippines

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2011

Strengths:    Great in climbing, stiff, corners with ease, descends with confidence, very plush, 2007 and 2008 models looks handsome

Weaknesses:    Eye catching

Bottom Line:
My 2nd fullsus mtb is a 2007 Titus El Guapo, it was a great bike, but someone told me to upgrade or try other brands, so I sold it and tried other bike brands. Finally I've decided to buy the bike that makes me a better rider. A late 2008 Titus El Guapo.

Favorite Trail:   Sta Rosa

Purchased At:   Philmofo classified

Similar Products Used:   Haro x6, Ellsworth moment, Turner 5.0 TNT

Bike Setup:   Frame: 2008 Titus El Guapo with Fox DHX Air 5.0, 2007 Fox Talas R 32, Truvativ and Sram components, Thomson 70mm stem and seatpost, 2007 Mavic SLR Wheelset, Kenda Nevegal 2.1 tires, Hayes rfx9 hydro brakes

Submitted by Shredr a Cross Country Rider from Chico, Ca

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2011

Strengths:    It's beautiful- the frame is a functional work of art. It's a highly-refined frame. Horst-Link fully-active design is plush. Shock & linkage are tucked in tight. Has a low BB, giving it spectacular cornering & has very quick handling for a 6" bike. The geometry is awesome. It's a tight, quiet running bike that's incredibly STIFF! Beefy (2009 model)rear tubing. Can run either air or coil shocks with 2 different mounts. Can build it lighter for CC or beefy freeride. Very versatile, truly the "one" do-it-all bike. This is an 6" bike that somehow has very BMX'y handling qualities built into it. Simply, it makes me a faster rider & feels like a secret weapon.

Weaknesses:    Non-tapered (2009) 1.5 headtube. More rear tire clearance (for big fatties) would be nice. Maybe a 12-142 rear for the future? Pedals hit the ground sometimes. Really, this frame has some kind of magical qualities that make it really special, so if it ain't broke don't fit it.

Bottom Line:
This is the "one" bike everyone is looking for. Here's why:
After much research (about 1 yr) on every decent 6" frame, I bought this as a replacement for my beloved but aging 5.5" Switchblade.
I was VERY, VERY skeptical about getting a heavier 6" "freeride" bike with slow handling & slack geometry, etc... Boy, was I wrong! This thing smokes my old trail bike on every level. You simply cannot compare the two, the EG is far superior in every way.
For example, it's way plusher (big 1.5 20mm 6" fork), stiffer (1.5 headtube & hydroformed big-ass tubing & thick linkage) & it handles even better (the excellent geometry & low BB makes it stick like glue in the corners & in the fast & tight choppy/technical stuff).
At speed it sucks up bumps & doesn't rock you around,it's completely stable. My old bike would get shaky & scary.
I can now plow through very nasty stuff instead of looking for clean lines. This one thing has totally transformed my riding style overnight. My trailbike would buck me around on hits at speed while the EG simply spits them out. With my stem dropped all the way down, the 6" EG handles even faster than my trailbike- amazing! There's instant response at the handlebars. When pushed hard, the bike turns into a magic carpet ride over harsh terrain (keep in mind my wide rims, fat tires & Stans) & begs you to push it even harder. The EG behaves much like a grown-up BMX bike in the fast flowing twisties & like it reacts well to throwing it around. Getting aggressive on this bike is fun.
After getting used to it & breaking it in (about 1 month), this bike alone has changed my style of riding. Now, I pick whatever line I want, knowing the EG will go through it quickly without rattling me around. This alone will make anyone faster. & the EG does it all so smoothly!

This bike doesn't give you confidence, it turns you into Superman on wheels because it simply does everything so outstanding. It's a well-blended chorus of stiffness, plushness, excellent geometry & a low BB that all combines into one of the best handling 6" bikes on the planet. & it's pretty lightweight too. Climbing is fine as well. That's why it's the "one" bike.

After this past month of break-in & learning how to ride a 6" frame, I now wish I would've gotten this frame years ago. I had no idea a "slack" 6" "freeride" frame could behave more like trailbike with the right build & still gobble up the rough stuff without complaint (& still be lightweight). Amazing.
I'll never own another 5.5" trailbike, the EG is that good. The plushness & stiffness is way beyond any 5.5" bike with hardly any weight penalty. & it handles snappy like a trailbike too. If I swap wheels, mine's at 28.5.

I love this bike. It's made me a faster rider overnight. Rough terrain that used to scare me I now shoot through with ease.
Buying this frame is one of the best things I've ever done. I just wish I'd done it sooner, so don't wait- get one!
Good job Titus- thank you!!!

Favorite Trail:   Downieville is MTB Heaven

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Offroad then 2 Proflex's, Mongoose AMP, 2 Turners, Cocalis Titus's & now Titus/On-One.

Bike Setup:   Chose the 2009 (small) on purpose for the burly rear tubing. Fox Float & RP23, Full XTR 9 spd with 10 spd XTR Race cranks & XTR Trail brakes. Thomson 50mm stem & post. King, Salsa Carbon bars, Ti-Fly seat. Azonic 32 spoke wheels, Weirwolf LT's & Stans. Weighs 29.5, lighter wheels would put it at 28.5. Rides & feels lighter than what it is. Front to rear weight is well-balanced.

Submitted by neverdie a Cross Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2011

Strengths:    Very stiff rear, Beautiful Hydroformed top tube

Weaknesses:    Frequent Pedal strikes, due to a low BB height. But it can be easily overcome with some adjustment on my pedaling techniques.
Cable routing is a pain. Had to reroute my cables a couple of times to get the optimal shifting.

Bottom Line:
What can I say about this frame? It's a confidence builder. It gives you
more confidence riding the gnarly stuffs and gives you more confidence to pass other riders during climbs. This bikes begs to be ridden fast and hard. Coming from mostly Xc setup I was used to selecting my lines especially during decent so I won't get stuck on those ruts. But the El Guapo showed me a totally different riding style. Just point and ride, with a stiff rear and a 20mm T/A front it will just go though on any obstacle . One thing I am still adjusting is the Pedal strikes, because of the low BB height. Overall a very good frame/bike.

Favorite Trail:   Singapore

Purchased At:   Closeout at Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Intense 5.5, Turner Flux TNT, Santa Cruz Superlight, Rocky Mountain Element 50

Bike Setup:   El Guapo 2009 RP23 small, 2010 Fox F36 FIT, Hope Pro 2 w/ Mavic 819 , Full XTR Drivetrain/brakes, Thomson stem/seatpost, WTB Devo SLT, CaneCreek headset, Xpedo pedal, Continental Speed King 2.3 Supersonic tires for marathon runs and Continental Mountain King 2.4 Tubeless for Technical/gnarly rides Rides (Bike weight at 28.9 lbs with Speed King SS tires and 29.7lbs with Mountain King Tubeless tires )

Submitted by Betarad a Cross Country Rider from Lahaina, HI

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2011

Strengths:    Looks, Performance, Durability, Weight

Weaknesses:    Size - Large isn't large enough

Bottom Line:
I love this bike like none other. At 6' 4" the Large(est) size is still a tad small for me, but the performance is nonetheless phenomenal. I built it light with top shelf stuff, which means I have a lightweight 30 lb All mountain ripper that's as tough as nails, but still climbs with the best of them.

I can't say enough about this bike. I recently took it with me on a two week MTB trip through Washington, Idaho, and BC interior....we ripped it up without so much as a hiccup from the bike. I came prepared with extra parts, but no need 'um with the EG.

Best bike I've ever had, hands down. I'm anxiously waiting to see what the new owners of Titus have in store for the EG. Hard to imagine it getting better, unless they offer an XL - something I'd jump on without even checking with the wife.

Favorite Trail:   Never met a trail I didn't like