Titus El Guapo All Mountain Full Suspension

4.82/5 (44 Reviews)

Titus exclusive ATF-formed 6000 series aluminum front triangle Advanced Thermal Forming uses a super heated, pressurized gas to soften an aluminum tube so that it may be formed into complex shapes and butting profiles inside of a clamshell mold. The resulting tube has optimized strength and weight profiles, providing for a lighter and stronger frame.
  • 1.5" Headtube offers greater strength and compatibility with newer long-travel, single crown forks
  • ISCG tabs for chainguide mounting
  • All-new, redesigned rear triangle featuring ATF technology
  • ATF seat stay is formed from a single, continuous tube to boost stiffness while shedding weight from the previous three piece design
  • New design saves 156grams over '09 rear triangle
  • 155mm of travel controlled by a custom-valved 2010 Fox RP23 shock

Submitted by mnigro a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2012

Strengths:    Climbs incredibly well- scary good. Holds a line well, very light for 150mm frame, corners well, looks sweet.

Weaknesses:    Low BB takes some getting used to. Not the same attention to quality as the old Titus but still a solid build. The head tube was not reamed out properly but Brant, not On One/Titus, but Brant made good by me.

Bottom Line:
So, if you are looking for a bad asss AM bike that climbs like a hard tail or 3" XC bike, look else where. I'm not sure why you'd want that. Those bikes tend to get hung up on square edge stuff, big rocks and roots, etc. IMO, this bikes biggest attribute is how well it climbs. Just stay seated, put it in low, get into position and pedal. I am completely amazed at what I can clear on this bike. It's actually made me like climbing, well... as much as possible. This bike clears chunky, super steep, techie sections like nothing I've ever ridden. The low headtube doesnt wander and the front stays planted with little lift if any. This is how an AM bike should climb - not like a locked-out 22 pound racer.

The low BB takes some getting used to. I have the v2 El G. With a 150 Sektor on the front and fatty tires my BB comes to about 13.25 inches. If I had a Lyrik it would raise it to about 13.5. More in line with other AM sleds but still a bit low. It's a trade off though as the bike corners like a slopestyle ripper. The HTA is more trail-bike like with the 150mm fork, about 68 degrees. A proper 160 fork would slack it out a bit more.

I bout this bike to replace a gen 1.5 SC Nomad. The Nomad beat this bike in the DH category as that bike could plough through anything and eat it up. However, that is one of the same things that made the Mad feel sluggish on the less gnarley trails and it felt overkill for general trail riding. It also suffered incredibly from pedal feedback and tech climbing was not its strong point. Great bike though.

The El Guapo is super nimble and feels much more like a trail bike in tight singletrack but has true AM pedigree and can hang with the best of them when the trail points down and things get fast. It is also the best iteration of the Horst link that I have ridden, and I've been on a few. No bob, traction in spades, doesn't squat on steep climbs - it's just the titties.

Bottom line, if you are not looking to drop $2500+ on a Knolly, SC, Ibis, Turner, etc. this should be one to consider.

Purchased At:   Titus / On One

Similar Products Used:   Past frames: KHS xc604, Salsa El Kaboing, Ragley Blue Pig, MotoLite, SC Blur 4x, SC Nomad

Bike Setup:   El G v2 with Sektor 150 air, x9/XT mix, KS dropper post, Oozey wheels and a high-mid level component mix. Sick bike.

El guapo for Mini Clyde

On my quest to find the perfect do it all budget bike and losing many an auction of ebay and nobody on pink bike returning my messages Im now pretty confident I can get a 2012 foes fxr or 2009 el guapo(really nice build) for the $1-1200 range. Im 225lbs and will be doing some aggressive riding wit ... Read More »

Which 2x Chainset can fit a chain device in version 3 El Guapo?

Hi guys, as we all know there is a bit of a problem whit some 2x cranksets which don't leave room for mounting a chain device on the ISCG 05 mount. I got a Race Face Ride AM chainset and it leaves me a couple of millimeters gap between the inner ring and the ISCG 05 mount on the frame so I got a ... Read More »

V3 El Guapo 142x12 rear end

i remember reading on here a while ago, a forum member was told by Titus at Sea Otter that this year would see a 142x12 conversion kit being brought out for the v3 El Guapo's rear end... has this happened? is it likely to be happening? is it even possible!!?! cheers guys ;)Read More »

Current stock El Guapo build/first ride report

So I received my medium raw EG frame earlier this month from Titus USA. Today I took it out on its first ride on my 10 mile local loop that consists of a long uphill with a few rocky sections and some very steep spots and then a long down hill with some rock steps and chunk. The only thing the trail ... Read More »

Evolution of a Ti El Guapo... (ramble and pic heavy)

I recently needed some repairs done to my 2008 Ti EG and it got me thinking about how the bike has 'evolved' since I first built it. First off the repairs - back in April I found a crack on the weld that joins the seat tube to the bottom-bracket. Now I am truly blessed in that Sam Davis, the 'orig ... Read More »