Specialized S-Works Enduro Carbon All Mountain Full Suspension

• Cassette: SRAM XX One, 11-speed, 10-42
  • Crankset: SRAM XX-One, carbon arms

Submitted by Spokes574

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2014

Strengths:    Fast up or down
Smooth
Solid feeling
Top of line components - well brakes maybe
Brakes, once brake in are very strong! I have not experience noise or air
Fast climbing and fast decenter
Climbs over rough sections easier than a 26" due to larger rims
Shock is way better than Fox Float! The tire sticks over rocks, bumps instead of skipping over them
Pike fork has way better mid stroke control than my Fox 34 160mm 2014

Weaknesses:    Bike shop employees do not know all the details of the bike so much - like bike came with 2 sprocket sizes!
Possibly the IR Cammand Post - its long, its heavy, if pump over 25psi seals will go bad
Cables are all way too long and bike shop charges to shorten them
Brakes have lever drag from i think the rubber cavity compared to shamano XTR brakes.
Seatpost cable boot inside needs to be cut in order to put the post low 1.5 mark to clamp down
Butcher is good, but not as good in turns as the Hans Damp.
Bike does not accelerate out of corners like a 26" so have to learn to roll into and out of corners

Bottom Line:
I have a 2014 Enduro 29 S-Works model purchased in bay area CA.
Bike had some issues that affected performance and balance but all covered under warranty repair by vendors.
Seat post internal rubber boot needed to be cut in order for cable to move freely since i have post down to 1.5 mark.
I switched the rear tire to a Race King 2.2 so bike could climb faster and pull out of corners faster, but bike steps out in back in fast turns now.
This bike makes me feel like i am going slow since the suspension and wheels soak things about 15% better than my pivot 5.7 26" bike. In reality i am going faster and not knowing it.
29" rims have a 10" rollout advantage over a 26" bike and i run a 32 tooth sprocket which makes climbing faster. My friends all have a hard time keeping up with me now due to the larger rims.
Butcher front tire is very similar to the Navigal in grip and turn performance but its faster and lighter.
Butcher does not grip in turns as good as a Hans Damp but its acceptable due to lightness and speed.
I shaved down the spacer to put stem as far down as possible. Bike with 20mm riser bar is 1" taller than my pivot 5.7 in the front.

Bike is not as fast out of corners as a 26" bike that is why i put a lighter rear tire on. I have learned to roll the bike into corners instead of my old method of braking and then hammering out.
Bike does not feel as playful as a 26", what i mean is you need more body english to handle a 26" bike over the rough and the 26" suspension is way busier about 15% more going over roots and rocks on fast descents.

Bottom line is that i do not ride my 26" $10K pivot anymore. I ride my enduro and nothing else. Its faster, smoother, easier to ride and beats me up less.

Spokes574

Submitted by Jon

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2013

Strengths:    It climbs and descends amazingly well. I sold a v10 and 5 Spot to afford the bike, but couldn't be happier.
The components are top notch, sans the 34 CTD fork. It's mediocre, and for a bike in this price range I would expect the best possible components top to bottom. Brakes, dropper post, and the wheels... oh the wheels are awesome. No flex. Super light.

Weaknesses:    Again, biggest weakness is the fork. But I did read that for 2014 they moved to Rock Shox. While I did not pay full MSRP ($7600 OTD) I needed to add 18ml of Float Fluid to keep the fork from blowing through the travel. I still need to keep the CTD in D for any tasty DH.

Bottom Line:
For what I paid, a better bike could not have been piece-meal built for less. The fork is tolerable now but I will upgrade eventually. And for 7600, I should not have to upgrade anything... Still, overall performance on prolonged steep climbs or technical lift assisted runs is amazing!