Specialized Enduro SL Pro All Mountain Full Suspension

• Saddle: Specialized BG Rival, Titanium rails
  • Seat Post: Thomson, 7000 series aluminum

Submitted by hunterglass a Cross Country Rider from st. augustine, FL. usa

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2011

Strengths:    Definitely a stable bike, solid, looks cool and feels burly

Weaknesses:    The chainstay is so frikkin' long! Shocks were crap!

Bottom Line:
I'm an aggressive rider, and I like to toss the bike around on the trail...lots of tail flicking and maneuvering. Before this bike I rode a Jamis XLT 2.0 and it fit like a glove and did what I wanted, even after killing a chainstay and replacing the bike took abuse until it had enough, so after druelling on the Enduro for a while I saw a deal and i jumped! Immediately found the stock rear shock to be a joke! Swapped for the RP23.
Being 6'4" I went with the XL frame---this bike is huge! It feels big! I didn't have anywhere to test ride any Specialized so maybe I could get away with a Large frame? But, the chainstays are the same length on all the frames so even if I went smaller it's still long in the back! To me this may be what is the issue for me...while that long chainstay makes it a great climber, I find that getting the back end to flick and move around, even jump quickly is arduous at best. This bike is not flickable. Again, maybe it's actually too big for me but it feels fine in the cockpit and I get the impression this bike is made to be stable, roll over and down anything and climb nicely, and that's great! It does feel good twisting through single track. Maybe I'm looking for it to do what it isn't meant to do! I'm going to give the bike a few more rides but if I can't get this thing to pop for me then you'll be seeing my bike on EBay abd I may be looking to get the '11 Jamis XCT 3.0(looks amazing!)
Since this bike is a custom build I can't give a very accurate value rating and since I see what the bike does well I'll give it high marks, just not quite the bike if you're a physical, aggressive, like-to-jump-everything kind of rider like myself.(At least I think it isn't!--ha!)

Similar Products Used:   Jamis XLT 2.0, other F/S and hardtails before

Bike Setup:   Almost totally custom...Fox Talas 36, Fox RP 23, Race Face cranks, XTR drivetrain, Sun Ringle' Charger rear, XT brakes...

Submitted by rompemonster a Weekend Warrior from Norway

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2010

Strengths:    Frame and geometry

Weaknesses:    Shock and fork

Bottom Line:
Great bike -a keeper! Change the shock and fork (and get off the 25mm thru-axle train) and you have a bike it will take years for anything out there to beat the value/price ratio.

I've been riding this in various places (travelling a lot means a 'one bike policy') from the rocky, steep hills of Pakistan to the muddy (waters) of Indonesia and it does stop to entertain me!

Favorite Trail:   Trail 4, Islamabad

Purchased At:   Second hand (Norway)

Bike Setup:   DT Swiss EXC 150 fork, Fulcrum Red Metal 3 wheels, Race Face Carbon riser bar -rest standard

Submitted by mtnbkr80015 a Weekend Warrior from Centennial, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2009

Strengths:    Great design, lightweight, great pedaling, great geometry. True all-mountain bike.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I originally bought a Stumpjumper Pro which was warranteed by Specialized and they sent me the Enduro Frame. After Sourcing a shock, I built it up and have been in riding bliss ever since. I have an XL frame, and even with the heavier Crossmax SX's, my bike only weighs 30 lbs. I have set my bike up more for cross country right now(used to have adjustable Command post and 2.4" tires) but it is still a great all around bike. I love this frame much more than my Stumpjumper. The adjustable head angle and higher bottom bracket are truely great. I never stopped bashing my cranks on the Stumpjumper. I have taken this bike to Winter Park during Crankworx and it worked just as well as my old Gemini which was set up for downhill. That bike had a Boxxer team on the front with 8" of travel. But I was able to raise the seatpost and ride uphill when I missed the chairlift. I ride this bike up some of the gnarliest trails and grin the whole way down. Now granted, my bike is not set up as it would have been from the factory, but I am incredibally impressed with the frame. I am 6'2" and weigh 225 pounds when fully loaded with my Camelback, and it does not feel like a wet noodle under me; it is a solid bike. If you want bike you can do everything on, get this bike!

Favorite Trail:   Buffalo Creek Area

Purchased At:   Mojo Wheels

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Epic FSR,Santa Cruz Blur

Bike Setup:   '08 Enduro Frame--Black, XTR Drivetrain, Race Face Next Cranks, Rock Shox Lyric 2 step, Mavic Crossmax SX Wheels, Chris King HS, Avid Juicy Carbon Brakes, Thompson stem and seatpost WTB Vigo Saddle, Maxxis Ignitor front/High Roller rear--2.1"

Submitted by racerfan120 a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2009

Strengths:    Fantastic components, quality is top notch, performs flawlessly, incredibly easy to get the feel, loves to be ridden, makes you faster!

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Great bike, it took me two seconds to get used to it. The demo ride in the parking lot does not do it justice, once it is on the trail it is a incredible machine doing all the work for you. It climbs like a billy goat, and descends with ease, however it definitely is not a downhill machine, but thats not what it was made to do. It is incredibly light, and was just as light as my last hard tail, which was an 07' Giant Yukon, except this has 6" of travel! The components are fantastic, and perform very well. I love this bike, it climbs, loves single track, and descends with perfection, awesome bike!!!

Favorite Trail:   Devils Gultch

Purchased At:   Silverlake Bike Cent

Similar Products Used:   Trek liquid, Giant hardtail

Bike Setup:   Stock except for the suspension internals being fox

Submitted by luckaz a Downhiller from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2009

Strengths:    geometry, front derailleur, weight, FSR suspension, build quality, beautiful lines

Weaknesses:    Fork and shock

Bottom Line:
You need to ditch the stock fork and shock. They suck! Anyone who believes the 'total integration' thing has never tried a real fork. Once you get rid of the specialized stuff and get some real suspension components on there you will not believe how good this bike is. The geometry is dialed. I can climb and ride all day, beat my friends up hill easily and rail on the way down. 67 degree head tube makes a huge difference on the way down and gives a lot of confidence on the steeps (I'm talking real steep here as I am riding the North Shore and Squamish). Seat tube is steep enough to allow you to climb agressively and the light weight makes it easy. This geometry combination is surprisingly rare. I think it is really perfect for true 'all mountain' riding on agressive trails.
Biggest proble is the cost associated with ditching the fork, shock and front wheel. One chili off for the crappy shock, fork and dumb 25mm front hub.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   Demo 7, cannondale prophet, giant reign, santa cruz nomad

Bike Setup:   avid elixer, fox 36 float, fox DHX 5.0 air, easton Havoc wheels

Submitted by jmacovei a Weekend Warrior from bristow, va

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2008

Strengths:    frame, specialized fork, xo kit, avid juicy 7 brakes

Weaknesses:    rear shock

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, took me a little while to get used to it from my 08 giant trance x2, however once I got my bearings together, this bike pushed me to go further and be able to make drops and descents I was very nervous about. I love this bike and am considering getting the s-works frame and customizing it out with upgraded kits beyond sworks. thinking about going carbon on many of the components to shave off the weight. However, out of the box, this bike is awesome. Great feel on the bike, confidence building, and overall solid bike for the price. The carbon frame is a plus and worth it. Highly recommend this bike.

Favorite Trail:   fountainhead, rosaryville

Bike Setup:   xo, specialized fork and shock standard, carbone frame, juicy 7 brakes, changed to ethirteen dual ring

Submitted by pickle19 a Weekend Warrior from ipswich england

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2008

Strengths:    pretty much every thing but especially the strength of the frame and forks i hit a tree at about 30mph a week after i got it full on and didnt do anything to the forks and just put a tiny dent in the frame ive since used it for freeriding and full downhill including drops up to 20 foot and i weigh 15 stone (210 pound) and it just eats it up

Weaknesses:    the rims were a bit too feeble for my style of riding i replaced them with some mavic 729s and the tyres were terrible got punctures every time i went out so changed them too

Bottom Line:
i love it mines set up for more agressive riding not much good for xc anymore but i dont do xc so i dont care it just takes anything i can throw at it. it also looks stunning poeple stop and stare at it everywhere i go

Favorite Trail:   the mattador innerliethen

Purchased At:   evans cycles

Similar Products Used:   gt i-drive 5

Bike Setup:   mavic 729s panaracer fr 2.4s hope ceramic bottom bracket lots of other hope parts (all in anodized red to match brakes and hub)

Submitted by Scifi a Weekend Warrior from NMB, FL USA

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2008

Strengths:    I still have everything stock so everything is a strength to me.

Weaknesses:    N/A, none, nada.

Bottom Line:
It's been a year now and I must say this bike is the bomb. No matter what or where I ride I feel like a king on the bike. I may not be the best or the fastest but I can do the trails along with the top dogs out there just not as fast. I'll say it again if you're a big guy or like to ride rough this is a great bike for you. The only thing I had to do is cut the seat post so I can handle going down the hills at the park beside that all is still stock. Cya later and ride hard and have fun.

Favorite Trail:   Gator Bank

Similar Products Used:   Only tested this bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by cooltrader a Weekend Warrior from wales

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2008

Strengths:    Brakes,suspension,handling,climbing ability

Weaknesses:    frame- broke rear tube-swingarm and im a light rider (142lbs)

Bottom Line:
Major disappointment,warranty means they want to inspect it 1st before deciding what to do which takes ages round here. Going to buy the part myself and fit it myself,it will be quicker and easier.Thats probably what they want us to do.It was a great bike for the dozen times i rode it!

Favorite Trail:   karrimor

Purchased At:   west end cycles uk

Submitted by Michael Prince a Downhiller from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2008

Strengths:    Rigid, smooth, light

Weaknesses:    still looking for one

Bottom Line:
I haven't experienced any problems with this bike and it is just over a year old. The previous owner had problem with the 2007 forks and shocks. Specialized relpaced/upgraded them over night to 2008 E150's. The rear is a little stiff for me with factory settings and I'm a fairly light guy.

The feel of the bike makes me more confident for sure.

Favorite Trail:   A-line

Purchased At:   private

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper, rock hopper (hard tail)

Bike Setup:   Juicy 7. Sram

Submitted by EDGAR TABORA a Weekend Warrior from MIAMI

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2008

Strengths:    FIRM HANDLING ON ANY TRAIL, BERM, CURVE, JUMP....STURDY, STRONG AND ALMOST NO FLEX AT ALL FRONT OR BACK.

Weaknesses:    NONE WHAT SO EVER....

Bottom Line:
FROM ABOUT ALL BIKES THAT I HAVE HAD AND TESTED...MY SEARCH FOR THE PERFECT BIKE IS OVER. HANDLING IS SUPERB, ERGONOMICS AND ESTETICS NO QUESTION...AWESOME. ALMOST TO NO BRAKE JACK...EVERYSTROKE AND POWER FROM YOUR LEGS IS TRANSFERERED INSTANTLY. IF YOU HAVE THE DOW TO INVEST IN THIS BIKE, GO AHEAD YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPOINTED.

I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THE SUSPENTION. I USUSLLY RAN 5 TO 7 PSI MORE OR ABOUT 20% SAG FOR WHAT I DO...AGGRESIVE TRAIL RIDING WITH MINIMUM JUMPS. FROM THE TIME I PURCHASED THE BIKE IT HAS NOT SEEN THE LBS FOR NOTHING, NO TUNE UPS ONLY MY PERSONAL MAINTANANCE AND IT STILL PERFORMS FLAWLESSLY. AFTER A YEAR THE COMPRESSION CANISTER IN THE FORK DOES NOT TURN ALL THE WAY BUT DUE TO THE WARRANTY SPECIALIZED DID SEND IT NO QUESTIONS ASKED...NO COMPLAINTS, GOOD SERVICE FROM THEM.
RESENTLY BROKE A REAR SPOKE BUT NO BIGGY IT HAPPENS IF YOU HALL ASS THE TRAIL AND TRY TO TURN TOO FAST.

CAN SAY ENOUGH ABOUT THE BIKE....THIS IS A KEEPER FOR ME.

Favorite Trail:   MARKHAM PARK

Purchased At:   BELLS BICYCLES

Similar Products Used:   HARO..EXTREME SERIES
GIANT...VT, REIGN
MARIN...ROCKSPRINGS, WILDCAT TRAIL
CANNONDALE...JECKYL, GEMINI
TREK...REMEDY 9, 2008

Bike Setup:   AVID JUICY 7...X-7 SHIFTERS..X-9 RR DER...LX FT DER...EVERYTHING ELSE IS STOCK. I GOT A KILLER DEAL WITH THE GUYS AT BELLS BIKES. TRULLY THANKS TO AGUSTIN AND EDLAN...AWESOME GUYS.

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Menlo Park, CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2008

Strengths:    WHEN the suspension is working, the bike climbs extremely efficiently and handles pounding downhills and drops well. Fork is very stiff and responsive. Mag/Marta brakes very strong, modulate well. SRAM XO stuff is crisp shifting and rock solid.

Weaknesses:    FRONT AND REAR SUSPENSION RELIABILITY. This is Specialized's home-grown fork and shock. Blew F&R seals, shop replaced '07 guts with '08 guts F&R, which supposedly fixed the reliability issues. Fork now gushes oil thru seal and top of climb knob, bottoms, knocks after one ride. Looking forward to wasting more time going to and from shop, being without the bike again. Rear shock seems ok now. Stock Specialized tires are weak in the sidewall. 25mm thru-axle is a non-standard size, so if you switch forks, you buy a new front wheel too. Makes racking difficult too. Integrated stem/triple clamp limits setup options. If you plan to fly or ship your bike for vacation: Frame doesn't fit (too long) in any standard hard cases for shipping/flying, and dual-crown fork doesn't rotate 90 deg. (stanchion hits the frame) for packing in clamshell case. Probably need to remove fork completely.

Bottom Line:
POTENTIALLY GREAT BIKE, BUT WAIT UNTIL SPECIALIZED SOLVES RELIABILITY ISSUES. I see that others here have similar issues. I expected a more reliable design from Specialized, especially for this price. If I knew that I would have this many problems, I would not have purchased. There are too many other really good bikes out there. IF the suspension was reliable, then I would recommend this for aggressive XC or all-mountain riders. It's the lightest 6" travel bike I've seen and it climbs like a XC rig, bombs downhill like a much heavier rig. Top-notch component set (except for tires). If you need to buy now, demo a Pivot Mach 5 or Ibis Mojo.

Favorite Trail:   Magic Carpet

Purchased At:   Another Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Pivot Mach 5 (great bike), SC Heckler, SC Blur LT (good bike)

Bike Setup:   SRAM XO & Magura Marta; Gravity Dropper Turbo seatpost(highly recommend but pricey)

Submitted by Timothy a Weekend Warrior from San Marcos

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2008

Strengths:    Components, weight to travel ratio

Weaknesses:    The forks and the shock

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up to a review I posted several months back in the Enduro SL S-Works category. I have both the 2007 Enduro Pro and the 2007 Enduro S-Works (which checks in 3 pounds lighter in the large frame size). When the forks and the rear shock are operating correctly, both bikes are untouchable in their class. Awesome climbers, and great on the downhills. Like other reviewers, I've found myself going faster and with a lot more confidence on the downhills.

My major beef with both bikes is the specialized suspension. The forks don't seem to be lubrictated well enough, so they become "sticky". Rather than eating up the little bumps like they should, the rider feels everything. At the direction of the local specialized bike shop, I've tried using non-teflon based oils to keep the seals supple, but it doesn't work well.

The rear shock is another problem. In the first month of owning the bikes I blew-out the dampening mechanism on both shocks. I had them rebuilt under warranty, but its obvious that the suspension isn't living up to specialized's rep...and unfortunately it makes what would otherwise be a fantastic bike not ride to its potential. I miss the Fox suspension, as it was always plush and active, and I never had any significant problems. Not sure if anyone else has tried swapping the rear shock and front forks for a Fox alternative, but I'm starting to consider it -- which sucks because specialized supposedly tailored the suspension to the Enduro and the Fox shocks won't be.

Favorite Trail:   La Costa Preserve