Specialized Enduro SL Expert FSR All Mountain Full Suspension

• Seat Post: 2014 butted alloy

Read the Pro Review on the Specialized Enduro SL Expert Here>>

Submitted by Robert Langweil a Weekend Warrior from W. Hartford, CT

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2011

Strengths:    Does everything well, lives up to the marketing hype. Very solid, handles well on climbs, single track, downhill. Disc brakes are strong. Travel vs. weight ratio is impressive.

Weaknesses:    The triple crown does limit the really tight turns.

Bottom Line:
Once the front and rear 2007 internals were replaced with 2008 internals, bike ran like a dream. Replaced 4 shocks, front and rear within first few months. No problems since. Fantastic bike, still excited to ride it, no plans to upgrade anytime soon. Rear wheel had to be replaced, last year, wish wheel set was a bit stronger. Overall, love the bike, if you want one bike that does it all, this is it.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Purchased At:   Bikers Edge

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Super V

Bike Setup:   2007 Enduro SL Expert

Submitted by mag0121 a Weekend Warrior from Encinitas

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2011

Strengths:    Slack angles and low stand over make cockpit feel stable and comfy, versatility, pedal ability, stock build is solid (esp. E150 from when working)

Weaknesses:    My 08 didn't come with a Command Post; easily fixed with an additional $300; stock grips too thin (but now I'm just looking for something to complain about)

Bottom Line:
If you can only have one to grind up and fly down, this is it. Love the e150 fork when it's working; 25mm maxle stiffest on market. Too bad they had problems with consistency with this fork. I'm 6'4" and 225lbs, and I ride this bike hard. She takes it like a champ and I'm stoked to get on her each and every time, no matter what the rest of the crew is on.

Favorite Trail:   Noble

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   08 Carbon Enduro

Bike Setup:   XL frame, Race Face Next carbon cranks, RF Next Carbon bars, Shimano PD M959, XO Shifters, wtb Prowlers 2.5, rest is stock

Submitted by Keplerbuns a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2011

Strengths:    Great geometry and superb handling, demo yellow looks unique.

Weaknesses:    Rear shock, mincy tyres, bars too narrow

Bottom Line:
Changing the stock shock to the DHX5 has been a revelation, the bike already handled really well and was great on technical downhills provided you knew what the shock was going to do next, the dhx has overcome that small issue, the bike flies ,hugs the trail and delivers you home safe with your nads the same shape as when the ride began, cushty.

Favorite Trail:   Whites Level

Purchased At:   a shop

Similar Products Used:   Previous enduro incarnations, stumpys, Commencal Metas oh and the occasional Ransom.

Bike Setup:   Fox dhx 5, Fox 32s 150m, Sunline Vtwos

Submitted by kayak2the9 a Cross Country Rider from Hood River, OR

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2010

Strengths:    Review of 2011 Enduro Expert: Stiff frame, supple suspension, light weight, climbs great, descends even better, stock rims convert to tubeless with just the change of a stem- which comes with it, great stock components. Command Post dropseat works like a dream!

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for doing all types of riding. Climbs better than any other bike I have ridden, even without a fork that has adjustable travel setting- not needed. I would recommend the 2011 over the 2010 as they beefed up the fork, wheelset, and cranks without adding a pound! Really supple suspension that seems to soak up everything I have thrown at it thus far- I have had the bike out about a dozen times on fast windy dirt singletrack, gravely singletrack, climbs, and downhill shuttles, and it truly does everything extremely well!

Favorite Trail:   Alpine Trail- Oakridge

Purchased At:   Mountain View Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Turner 5 spot, Ventana El Chumuco, Transition Preston.

Bike Setup:   Stock, aside from putting ODI grips on it and cutting the bar width down an inch. Fox Float 36 fork, Fox RP23 shock, Avid CR SL brakes, Sram 2200 carbon 2-10speed crankset and cassette, Sram X-0 rear derailleur, X-7 in front, X-9 shifters- weighs just a hair over 30 lbs- running tubeless on Roval wheelset with DT Swiss Spokes and DT Star hub guts.

Submitted by grootif a Weekend Warrior from Arizona

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2010

Strengths:    THIS is a Review of the 2010 Enduro Expert.....which for some reason is not yet listed on MTBR. Slack Head angle, Smooth, bottomless rear suspension feel. Great traction. Climbs nicely, weighs under 29lbs with the right build. Command post is great. Laterally stiff frame design. Best of the FSR designs to date.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This bike is the perfect blend of technologies, which allows you to ride it anywhere you want to go, and it will shine. I came off of bikes that were over 30lbs, so this feels nice and light to me for a 6.3" travel bike. Drop the fork, and it climbs very easily, Drop the seat, and it decends with confidence. this bike really smooths out the trail, no matter what you may encounter. I highly recommend it.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Elden

Purchased At:   Various locations

Similar Products Used:   Older Enduros, IH MKIII, Specialized Pitch, IH 7.3.

Bike Setup:   Fox 36 Talas 160mm fork, RP23BV shock, SLX cranks & brakes, Mavic wheels xt rear hub, Carbon 20mm front hub, Command Post seat post, WTB Speed saddle, Kenda Nevegal Tires. XTR pedals, E13 bash guard, SRAM X0 carbon rear. SLX front der. SRAM X9 shifters. Titec Pluto carbon riser bars. FSA Shorty stem. Oury locking grips. SRAM rear cassette.

Submitted by Neil a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2010

Strengths:    Geometry, Sram XO and Avid Elixer components.

Weaknesses:    Bars are too narrow so swapped to Sunline V2s, stem long at 80mm for AM changed to 60mm, tyres walls are too thin so Larsen TT on rear High roller on the front.

Bottom Line:
The 09 comes without the E150 instead has the fox talas RL which is faultless, the UK press did not like this bike because of the fork and rear shock, but the rear is easy to set up so can't see the problem. The bike is superb to ride, the geometry makes any handling responsive, climbing becomes almost a pleasure. Easily the best i've owned.

Favorite Trail:   Whites Level

Purchased At:   Keswick Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Spesh Enduro 04, Stumpy 06, Ransom, Meta 551, Meta 666 superteam.

Bike Setup:   Stock but for those listed in weaknesses.

Submitted by whiteaker a Weekend Warrior from WA

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2010

Strengths:    great all around XC/Downhill, light for 6X6! After getting the shocks fixed...nothing breaks!

Weaknesses:    Specialized wanted a bike with 6X6 under 30 lbs and they did it. I think the wheels are a tad light for the bike and the rear hub.

Bottom Line:
Best bike I've ever owned, and climbs like a mountain goat. My buddies I ride with realize also it is a climbing machine. The Down hill is just as smooth and forgiving. I do push this bike around corners, jumps an every root and rock I can find and it begs for more!!! It has all the flamin' chilis for a reason!

Favorite Trail:   Back Diamond, Tiger Mt.

Purchased At:   Center Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Epic comb, Diamond back SL

Bike Setup:   petty much the same except for a little heavier wheels. Mavic 525 "I think"

Submitted by cwick a Downhiller from socal

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2010

Strengths:    for a dual crown bike it goes uphill great. downhill is ok, but not as dh oriented as i want. the front 25mm hub is nice and stiff. very light bike that does everything.

Weaknesses:    too light for downhill stuff. taken off off 3-6 footers and it takes it. rims are trash. taco'd my front real quick. had to replace fork internals with 09 since the old ones were deffective.

Bottom Line:
its a great bike, but some things need replacing asap like rims.does everything well except downhill. little lacking.

Purchased At:   used

Bike Setup:   kenda 2.5 front, 2.35 rear, odi grips, dt 5.1 rim in front, flats, new fork internals, seat post cut 2".

Submitted by Shomon a Weekend Warrior from Topanga Cyn. Ca

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2010

Strengths:    Pedals great,on the fly attittude adjust,firm yet plush,versatility, well balanced ride. Awsome value, warranty

Weaknesses:    Not crazy about the DT wheel spec, I can tweak them eaisily on air outs,rear hub and cassette are heavy. Can't wait to get my I9 AM wheelset deliverd!!!!

Bottom Line:
I've been a cyclist all my life. Just turned 50,I'm very experienced and aggressive ridding style.I love big mountain epics and ultralight bike-packing.Initially this bike felt big and sled like to my custom built SC Superlight 25lbs.It took about a month to really get dialed with how the suspension sets up.I realized that out on the trail the suspension felt much firmer than in the parking lot.I was running too much preasure at first which caused toping out,clunking etc.Now I have it dialed and it's awsome! Rebound and dampening are much more dynamic.I've really come to love this bike and I now ride 3 times a wk about 60 mi. I don't even notice the weight anymore since the upgrades I've made.This really suits my cadence and is a very comfortable ride. This been a great additon to my quiver. I figure for the 2 k I stole it for w/warranty mind you, and the 2k I put into it, I have a serious kick ass ride that's going to last! Super Stoked!

Favorite Trail:   Chilao backcountry, Agoura,Pinos,and local

Purchased At:   W. World

Similar Products Used:   SC Bullit,SC Super 8,SC Superlight, Answer Manitou HT, KleinAttitude,Yeti ASR

Bike Setup:   08 Enduro Sl expert Demo Blue. After 3 months upgraded to sram xo shifters, fresh xo derailer,cassette,hollow pin chain, noir crankset w/ ceramic bb, eas carbon xc bar, thompson elite offset post,odi grips,fresh kenda nevegal 2.3 F&R, Industry 9 AM wheelset

Submitted by camarosam a Weekend Warrior from Glendale, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2009

Strengths:    e150 fork, frame geometry, components, weight. Just being able to ride this thing anywhere. Ride it for 4 hours at a time, awesome comfortable geometry. Singletrack, downhill, this bike does it all.

Weaknesses:    Not as freeride worthy as I wanted it to be. Nothing really.

Bottom Line:
This bike does everything, the e150 fork is just amazing gowing dh. It tracks so straight and will plow through anything you throw at it. It took me awhile to get the shock pressure and the spike valve pressure set, but once I got it it works awesome. The bike is light enough to take up any hill, and plow down doing 30mph going over jumps and whatnot. The highest Ive taken it off a jump is 3ft, but from what Ive seen, you can exceed that very easily. Awesome bike and lovin it.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Pinos

Purchased At:   Incylce

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper elite

Bike Setup:   ODI grips, wellgo b54 platforms, cateye enduro 8.

Submitted by hairysemi a Weekend Warrior from Sequim, Wa

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2009

Strengths:    Climbs almost as well as my 08 Stumpy Expert, and descends way better. Fairly light. Good value for what you get.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found much yet. The front end feels a little heavier than an 07 I've been riding with an E150 on it.

Bottom Line:
Great bike that does just about everything I ask of it well. It climbs strongly, descends incredibly well, and eats up the bumpy sections of trail. It is not a great out of saddle climber, but I rarely do that regardless. The wheels have held up well to my 240 pounds, so far, and the whole bike seems solid. I still can't believe you can get a 6" travel trail bike under 30 pounds!

Favorite Trail:   Olympic Adventure Trail

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   08 Stumpy Expert, 07 Enduro SL Pro

Bike Setup:   Stock plus bar ends (I know, no one uses bar ends on rise bars, but I like to ride xc, and feel I need the extra hand position).

Submitted by catnash a Weekend Warrior from Carmarthen

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2009

Strengths:    Weight, strength, speed, Ability. e150 fork.

Weaknesses:    Nothing, though lusted after a Carbon one.

Bottom Line:
This was my second SL enduro, after my 07 Pro went and got a heckler but the suspension of the Enduro had me back within a year. Picked up an end of line Expert in Ti Silver, because the 09's didnt have the e150 fork that I missed sooo much. I was then lucky to get an S-works frame as I though I'd try one of those. I loved the aluminium one and really fitted my type of rideing-Covering fast singletrack, steep rocky climbs with some very technical DH's rocky and some berms, tabletops in Brechfa. I am hooked on these bikes. Of course I havent tried many other bikes, but I have only one life and want to be out there where I and this bike belongs.

Favorite Trail:   Brechfa Llanddowror

Purchased At:   Leisure Lakes Chelte

Similar Products Used:   07 SL Pro, 06 S-works Enduro 04 S-works Enduro, 575, Heckler,Gemini. All owned.

Bike Setup:   Changed the post bars saddle chainset as soon as I had them

Submitted by swantekkie a Downhiller from gloucester

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2009

Strengths:    like others, really like the climbing ability, also enjoy the adjustable fork. rear linkage is very stable, and bike has nice balance. i like the built in stem, but i can see how some one with other preferences to height and length might not enjoy it. handles like a dream, and eats up single track. Definate all mountain bike. love the avid juicy 7s

Weaknesses:    rims a little weak, had to replace rear rim. although was hitting some good size drops. also from fork near axle cracked, but was replaced by specialized, no questions asked.

Bottom Line:
if your going to buy one bike, buy this one!
best all around bike.

Favorite Trail:   bruce and toms

Purchased At:   seaside cycles manch

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz heckler, kona stinky

Bike Setup:   mainly stock, new mavvic rear rim, crankbro 50/50s, upgrading to hope pro 2 rear hub and new headset, both anodized red to match front hub

Submitted by kiwisteve a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight; great balance; comfortable without being too soft; great steering front fork; great spec for the price paid. Climbs really well (if you stay seated) and stays controllable when you come down again really fast...

Weaknesses:    E150 front fork was faulty first ride out... but was fixed within 24 hours with new latest spec LH leg internals. Basic set-up guidelines are OK and give you a stable, forgiving bike to ride but it's taking a bit more time, trial & error to find my own sweet spot.

Bottom Line:
With less than 80km under my belt and, despite the episode with the fork, this bike already does everything that I wanted: my rides are now longer, much more rapid, somewhat more adventurous and much more comfortable.

However I suspect I have only scratched the surface... Neither brakes nor suspension are fully bedded in and I'm not sure I have even got the seat height quite right.

This is not a particularly complicated bike but getting it set up so it delivers MORE than expected and then figuring out how far it'll go (with me on board...) will take some more time.

Favorite Trail:   Anything that's not tarmac

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper FSR 06: great bike; owned for 3 years but started to place too many demands on my ageing body for the riding I like to do (enthusiastic XC and AM - no jumps or apparatus!).

Bike Setup:   Stock so far except for lock-on grips, Eskars, Keywin flats (great NZ-made pedals!). Upgrades planned: carbon bars; Gravity Dropper seatpost; Hope ProII rear hub in red ano!

Submitted by Clint Burke a Racer from Monterey, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2008

Strengths:    Bombproof, great climber, smooth suspension, extremely tunable, home mechanic friendly.

Weaknesses:    2007 cartridges and rear shock, Upgraded to 2008 and have had no problems. I have rebuilt them myself and customized the oil-weight and grease in both front and rear suspension.

Bottom Line:
This bike was a bit of a headache when I first got it. I blew out the front cartridges twice and the rear shock once, but since I got the 2008 upgrades, the bike has been awesome. I rebuild the front and rear every two months and put fresh slick-honey and 5 wt oil in them and they feels super plush. I'm 6'5" and weight about 240lbs in gear and this bike is perfect for my size and handles my abuse. I have raced this bike in everything from local CCCX crosscountry and downhill races to 24hrs of adrenaline to Downieville. It does everything! I'm not a big dropper, I've done two 10fters on this bike and it survived, but its not meant for that. Where it excels is long flowy singletrack. It makes the ground disappear. Additionally, Specialized has been awesome for customer service. They have responded quickly and generously to any issue I have had. You can't beat their 5 year warranty on suspension components.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Downieville