Specialized Enduro SL Comp FSR All Mountain Full Suspension

• Pedals: Shimano M-520 SPD
  • Seat Post: 2014 butted alloy

Submitted by JesseJames a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    Bike is such a fast rig, just bought it a few months ago (used) for some all mountain and downhill riding. Im running 2.5 speed kings on factory rims and they roll like nothing else. the bike is really light so climbing is not an issue. Front fork has given me nothing but satisfaction sofar.

Weaknesses:    bike is rather long so it makes switchbacks a bit of a challenge. not really impressed with the factory rear shock-thinking about upgrading

Bottom Line:
Love the bike and thats pretty much all there is to it, planning on setting it up more for downhill this summer so we will see how that goes but this is a great all mountain bike!

Submitted by twoxstreem a Weekend Warrior from Stamford CT

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2011

Strengths:    Climbs, e150 fork, durability

Weaknesses:    weak rear derailleur hanger, thomson seat post, factory wheels.

Bottom Line:
This bike is SOLID! I have had her for 3 years and i bought her all most new 2nd hand off a guy who had too many bikes to ride. I'm 5'10, 240, and I ride a medium because this is a LONG bike and I like the shorter stature of the Medium, I've ridden the large too, both are very comfortable as well.

Plenty of travel and climbs like a lighter bike. I replace the seat post after a few rides for a thomson, removed the outer ring for a rock guard and added the specialized derailleur hanger (a buddy kept breaking his on hard landings but i've never had an issue) The factory wheels are good but if you get tweaked off of the jumps they will loosen up quickly. Everything else is set it and forget it.

I have not had any issues with the e150 fork and will have a hard time riding a bike with anything else. The rear shock is a little squishy at times but when you set this up correctly the bike rides like a cross country bike on the single track and a downhill bike on the downhill.

Purchased At:   classifieds

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   2.35 nev's, rock guard , spec's derailleur guard, thomson seat post.

Submitted by biggrumble a Weekend Warrior from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2011

Strengths:    Frame geometry is both confidence-inspiring and nimble, component group is great (near-perfect shifting, great brakes). Climbs well, while being uber-plush. Rear shock is a standard size, so it's upgradeable (not true for 2010+ models).

Weaknesses:    Yearly shock service required to maintain the warranty, and needs to be done by Specialized, adding $150 per year expense. A little nervous that one of the rear shock bolts needed warranty replacement during the yearly service. Stock tires not durable, got cut open by a rock. Doesn't climb like a hardtail. Top/down tubes seem a bit thin, but have had no problems. Rear hub sucks, does not have enough points of engagement and has needed frequent adjustment.

Bottom Line:
F***ing awesome bike...I fall more into the fat XC rider category versus pure all-mountain rider, but this bike laps up everything I'm willing to throw at this bike and begs for more. Climbs reasonably well, descends like a beast. This thing always wants to go faster, but also eats through slow, technical rock gardens. If I could only have one bike, this would be the one.

Favorite Trail:   Too Many

Purchased At:   Back Bay Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   1999 Hardrock, 2003 Stumpjumper FSR, Trek 6500

Bike Setup:   2009 Stock except tires and brake pads (stock fork is Fox Float RL 150 instead of E150 fork).

Submitted by Big Chan a Cross Country Rider from Central, Mass, USA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2010

Strengths:    Great Handling. Light for the amount of travel that it has. This bike has the ability to bring an unquenchable passion to your mountin biking. Corners Well. Nice High clearance

Weaknesses:    E150 Fork is horrible. I have brough mine in for service 4 times in the 3 years I have owned it. Most recently I broke the dropout on the fork. I have also blown blown 2 Brain rear shocks. the stock wheels are not strong enough for daily riding. Deraileur hanger breaks with a small breeze.

Bottom Line:
Great ride but seems like it was built to Fail. Fork is Horrible. Linkage is deteriorating. Hydroform down tube is too thin for an AM bike. Many of us ride where there may be rocks and this bike is not tough enough for any contact with rocks as the frame will dent a fork will break.

Favorite Trail:   Sponge

Similar Products Used:   Scott, Trek

Bike Setup:   Stock except for X9 shifters and DT swiss E2200 rear wheel.

Submitted by DDX a Weekend Warrior from DELTA, BC

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2010

Strengths:    Good ergonomics, Makes biking on trails very comfortable, and can absorb pressure encountered from a lot of obstacles. Specialized has good support on this bike.

Weaknesses:    The seat post clamp scratches the frame, and is not durable.

Bottom Line:
It does what is intended for my purpose of trail riding and meets my expectations. I also like the prompt and generous customer support from my LBS and Specialized when I have issues about the bike. Its the best bang for my buck.

Favorite Trail:   delta watershed trails

Bike Setup:   stock except seat post clamp

Submitted by Fordcus a Cross Country Rider from Havant, England

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2010

Strengths:    All round ability is excellent, soaks up anything you put it through no problem.

Weaknesses:    Rear hub.

Bottom Line:
This Bike allows you to ride every thing from single track, Mountain, Down hill and any other you care to try.

Favorite Trail:   Afan Argeod (Wales UK)

Purchased At:   Dayles cycles UK

Similar Products Used:   Various GT Bikes

Bike Setup:   All Mountain

Submitted by Oldy Moldy a Weekend Warrior from Penticton, BC. Canada

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2009

Strengths:    Mostly everything so far. The dual crown fork inspires confidence.

Weaknesses:    None after seven months of use.

Bottom Line:
Love this bike, I'm so impressed at how good it climbs for a six inch bike although the travel adjust sure helps. Solid front end with the integrated stem and the Juicy 3's do a fine job as stoppers. This bike is a do-it all bike so if your like most and can only have one this is the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Three Blind Mice

Purchased At:   Simon's bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel 90, Trek Liquid 55.

Bike Setup:   Once the suspension is set than it's perfect. Takes a bit to set up but it's worth it.

Submitted by DYUSIP a Weekend Warrior from Surrey, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2009

Strengths:    ergonomic design, lightweight for an all mountain bike type.

Weaknesses:    The e150 fork has been leaking oil, and looses air pressure. Got fixed by the LBS after over a month. Now the never ending squeaking from the stem that clamps the stanchions is becoming louder and more irritating. They've been torqued to specifications but won't stop squeaking.

Bottom Line:
With all the problems encountered, the stress, loss of ride time, I'd better think twice buying one.

Submitted by verme_vsf a Cross Country Rider from Petrópolis, Brazil

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2009

Strengths:    Great bike!!!

Weaknesses:    Travel adjustment of e150 fails. Maintenance is expensive and no maitenance manuals are available like fox, rockshox and magura forks.

Bottom Line:
Great bike but fork and shock are weak. I have replaced my fork by a Magura Thor and will replace my rear shock by a fox rp23.

Submitted by kazuza a Weekend Warrior from Lisbon

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2009

Strengths:    Frame e150 suspension

Weaknesses:    S-Works tires

Bottom Line:
Great DO IT ALL bike
Like they say: climb well.. descend better :P
difficult to step up the suspension right initially, but once done this bike will give you confidence to do things you never tough.. In fact, it can give you overconfidence and can make you brake a rib :D

I would suggest only to replace the rear tire, for a non S-Works Eskar (these tires are great), but the S-Works model has a thin lateral wall and that's bad in rockgardens

Bike Setup:   Stock, but with Eskar Control 2bliss at rear

Submitted by Chopstick a Weekend Warrior from Portugal

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2009

Strengths:    Stong, reliable, low maintenance, versatile. Very good fork and shock absorber.

Weaknesses:    Altough it requires low maintenance, when it does it won't come cheap. Kinda expensive for the parts it brings, like the crankset, the rear hub and the brakes.

Bottom Line:
It's the ultimate do everything machine, climbs very well, has a good riding position for long distances, yet, when the fun part of going along with the gravity comes it just blows your mind. Feels relaxed, planted to the grond and deals with all types of irregularities. The fork feels very plush and the shock absorver never bottoms out.

At first it may be hard to adjust and sync both the fork and the shock but once you get it right youre sitting on a couch with wheels and pedals.

Similar Products Used:   Trek fuel EX8, Specialized Pitch comp, gary fisher hi-fi.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Beerhunter a Cross Country Rider from Blue Mountains Australia

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2009

Strengths:    Balance, technical climbing, DESCENTS.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
When I first started MTB, rigid bikes were all you could get. Now they are a fashion item...I'm an old fart who has, over 20 years, moved from XC riding, to a little XC racing, and now much more to "trail" riding. I am now less interested in the day long fire trail rides than the fun, 2 hour, technical ride on the local single tracks. Over the years I had found that I was avoiding more and more the really difficult trails in my area, as I had been over the handlebars on almost all of them. I thought, as I am not a good enough rider to deal with the hard sections, why not just get a better bike?

Of all the bikes I tested over the 6 months of looking the two I liked most were the Yeti and the Enduro. Both have a slacker head angle than the others, which allows me to adopt a "head up, no worries" attitude on almost anything. I just could not beleve how confidence inspiring these two bikes were on technical descents and over drops. It takes more body english to turn the bike in tight singletrack than the XC bike, but it is just a matter of adjustment. I have never hit the fork on the frame, and cant see that I ever will, so dont see that it is a limitation. The Enduro does not jump out of a corner, or climb a fire road like an XC bike, but I dont care at all. The back tyre stays glued to the ground on steep and tecnical climbs, so I am able to make sections that had always been beyond me. If there is a steep descent, compression and then climb I do the first part of the climb much easier as my speed at the bottom is so much higher. Its just a hoot to ride...

I bought the Enduro as a demo bike from a bike shop owner who is the same height and weight (and age) as me, so I did not have all of the setup headaches that others have mentioned. To date I have had no issues at all with the forks, which in my opinion is the bikes great strength, and is the one point that really sets it apart from the other bikes I rode.

I now dont go for "training" rides at all. I just ride, anywhere that I feel like on that day. It was a heap of money to spend on a toy, but totally worth it :)

I gave it 4 chilis for value, as cheap it is not, but 5 overall, as in my view it is in the top 20% of bikes for the riding that I was aiming to do.

Favorite Trail:   Ourimbah, The Chicken Run, St Helena's Ridge.

Similar Products Used:   Coming off NRS. Extensively tried and tested bikes including Ellesworth Epiphany, Trance, 5 Spot, BMC Trailfox, Norco Fluid1, Yeti 575.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by hitek79 a Weekend Warrior from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2009

Strengths:    The suspension

Weaknesses:    The suspension. Don't worry, I'll explain :)

Bottom Line:
I found this bike practically brand new for a great price and I snatched it up. Up until that point though I had only ridden XC bikes with basic 100mm suspension set ups. I got the bike home, set up the shock according to Spec's recommendations and took it out for some lift served rides. I went over the bars twice, once with the bike landing on my head. Talk about a confidence killer.

I started reading more about the bike and playing around with the suspension in a bunch of different variations and dumped the crappy Resolution tires that came on the bike and that has made a world of difference. If you don't want to take the time to really learn and adjust the suspension, you probably won't like how this bike rides. The other thing that I had to learn coming from a XC background is that this bike is expecting you to ride it hard and fast. If you try descending like you would on a XC bike, you'll crash. If you just pick your line and pedal, you'll cruise right through obstacles like they aren't even there.

Now that I'm not scared of this bike anymore, I can't wait for spring and summer. This bike climbs really well, and I look forward to taking it out on some longer trips. The ascents might not be as quick as my XC bike, but the downhills sure will be fun!

Favorite Trail:   Scary ones