Specialized Enduro Pro All Mountain Full Suspension

4.76/5 (46 Reviews)

XC legs, DH balls - the Enduro Pro craves technical situations, but will get you to the top of the mountain with enough time to do another run.
  • FACT IS-X 10m carbon FSR frame with M5 alloy rear triangle is crazy light and strong, complementing this do-anything 160mm- travel design with sealed cartridge bearing pivots, replaceable ISCG mount, and replaceable derailleur hanger
  • Custom Fox RP23-S shock features position-sensitive Boost Valve damping, low-speed compression damping with 3-way adjustable “open” and “climbing” settings - meaning, great bump performance and solid climbing efficiency
  • Specialized E160TA Future Shock fork with tapered carbon steerer/crown assembly and 20mm Maxle Lite thru-axle delivers 160-135mm adjustable travel with external rebound/compression to devour singletrack with surgical accuracy
  • Roval Traverse EL all-mountain alloy wheelset with DT Swiss internals, Star ratchet and cassette body, and 20mm thru-axle offers mountain-leveling durability and light weight
  • 2Bliss Ready Clutch Control 2.3" dual compound front tire with plenty of traction for superb braking and cornering and rear Purgatory Control 2.2" tire for lightweight grip in intermediate conditions
  • Super light, SRAM X.0 Carbon 10-speed double crankset with GXP spindle, shift guide and removable spider for stiffness, performance, and durability

Submitted by Guerdonian

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2012

Strengths:    Excellent performance on both the ups and the downs. 2009 model is like a long legged trail bike. Durable, relativity light, and efficient. Still happy with my choice 4 seasons later.

Weaknesses:    Specialized rear shock is crap. Lack of adjustable inputs, rebound is a pain with only 4 "clicks:", pro-pedal is sub par. Eventually plan to swap it out for a RP23. This 2009 year is also less aggressive than the prior and current year model which results in a twitchier feel on the downhill. Specialized command post leaked out on me after 2 months, still need to re-build it, supposedly they have fixed this issue with newer models.

Bottom Line:
This is for the 2009 Enduro Pro. I have ridden this bike hard now for 3 going on 4 seasons, with no complaints. With proper maintenance this bike has served me very well, and i am confident it will continue to do so.

Submitted by Aawhite321 a Weekend Warrior from Denver

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2012

Bottom Line:
2012 does not come with an expert build. The next model up is a carbon expert build which can be expensive. I solved this by buying the 2012 enduro expert evo, but had the bike shop change out the shock and fork. The frame is the same. There you go 2012 enduro expert build. In a very cool black red color. I'll post pictures as soon as I get it.

Favorite Trail:   Kenosha pass

Submitted by matt00mck a Weekend Warrior from Denver CO

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2011

Strengths:    Since there is no Enduro PRO in the 2012 Spesh line up, I guess the ones that are getting snatched up for INCREDIBLE deals in the tail end of 2011 need to be reviewed. I just bought one new for 1900 below the MSRP. I think that this is
in itself an incredible thing. A carbon fiber 6.3 inch travel beast that weighs 28 lbs for 3900? How could I not buy this thing? This bike has completely changed my mountain biking already and I have only three rides under my belt on it. I looked at the usual suspects (Reign, Butcher, etc.) before I chose this one and was ready to take an uphill penalty for a complete party on the way down. Well due to the weight of this bike and adjustable travel fork with a little RP-23S magic thrown in it climbs much better than I expected. I live in 29'er/XC country and I can still get up quickly. Where this bike really shines though is on the way down. The second you let gravity kick in this thing comes alive! The geometry is aggressive and confidence inspiring. It begs to carve and lines you thought not doable suddenly seem non-issue. I was a little nervous when rocks first pinged the down tube. I would stop every time and inspect it for damage. Nothing - Thing is bulletproof. The spec of the stock components is unreal; Seat dropper, carbon X0 cranks, carbon 720mm bars, Elixir CR SL brakes, 160-135 adjustable travel 20mm thru axle fork, RP-23S shock with 3 open settings, and the Spesh tires bite perfectly when cornering and climbing. Just doesn't get much better than this bike.

Weaknesses:    Just a few minor things for me. Seat dropper lever cannot be put on the left side due to it's shape. Fork is a little difficult to dial in. Once I realized that the Spesh air chart is way over inflated, things got much better. Don't be afraid to monkey with it and run it a bit low!

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, so happy that I purchased it. If you are looking for a lightweight long travel 26" bike, this is the one.

Favorite Trail:   Buff Creek

Similar Products Used:   Trance, Reign, ASR-7, 575, SB-66, Butcher, Nomad

Bike Setup:   Stock - Tubeless

Submitted by jaspikey a Downhiller from Chicago, IL USA

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2011

Strengths:    Light Weight around 27 lbs. Climber, Stable on downhills, Very Responsive, Fast, Easy to ride. Love the FSR.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Got a good deal on an old model but still new. Only been riding this bike for a month but I really love it. I can't wait to go out on the trail every time. This bike has a lot of adjustments, but once I hit the sweet spot, I'm good to go. I can ride this thing for hours and I can feel no pain. I used to ride a hard tail, and after five miles on it, by back is killing me. This one is like gliding on rocks, tree stumps, roots, ruts and even on jumps. The tires roll easy and grips tight on corners. When it's time to upgrade parts, I probably won't change a thing. I hope I can find the original parts when the time comes. I ride this bike hard and so far I have not seen any weekness. It can climb really good but my favorite is going downhill fast on this puppy. After switching to FS, I don't think I can go back to HT. It's so easy to bunny hop over obstacles on the trail and the suspension works like a charm. If you find this bike on sale, hanging around on dealership buy it, or let me know and I'll buy another one for spare...

Favorite Trail:   Palos - Bullfrog Lake

Purchased At:   Spokes@Wheaton, IL

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper Comp FSR, Santa Cruz Blur Carbon, GT Force 2.

Bike Setup:   Fork - Rock Shox Psylo SL, 80-125mm, Shocks - Fox RL, ITCH Switch on-the-fly adjustable travel from 4" to 5.25", 7.625" x 2.00", adjustable rebound & compression lock-out. Hayes Mag, full hydraulic disc, 6" rotor. FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Deore XT, REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano XTR, SHIFT LEVERS Shimano Deore XT, Shimano XT,11x34,. 9-speed, Specialized StrongArm II, PEDALS Welgo MG-1, FRONT/REAR TIRE Enduro, S-Works 26"x2.2.

Submitted by robpearson a Downhiller from LA, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2011

Strengths:    I loved this bike until it broke, Frame collapsed at the weld where where the shock attaches, totally collapsed, scary failure, bike got regular use, some hard but this is a dangerous failure

Weaknesses:    Frame? welds?

Bottom Line:
This has been a great Mountain bike and I have riden it hard and kept it very well maintained, I am not sure if this is aluminum metal fatigue that is normal and exepected? but I suggest everyone check the welds and frame for any cracks, This failed while i was going very quickly downhill and I was SO lucky I did not get seriously injured. I need a new frame and will get the same one? I think. Are there many instances of frame/weld breaks in the Enduro line up?
thanks

Favorite Trail:   Westridge/Temescal Cyn

Purchased At:   from a friend

Similar Products Used:   Kestral

Bike Setup:   all XT + Rock Shock front Suspension

Submitted by lebleup a Weekend Warrior from Salt Lake City, UT USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2010

Strengths:    Everything! Light and swift. Climbs like a billy goat and scats like a cat. Very responsive and balanced.

Weaknesses:    Can't find one yet.

Bottom Line:
Previous owner just gave this thing away.Even after all the years of heavy use from the previous owner, this thing can handle some serious beating on the trails. Light and swift, yet solid for a pounding. How can improvements be made on a sweet setup like this? Specialized's marketing folks have to keep cranking out some clever marketing jargin to keep turning out good numbers. Bikes like these are meant to last forever. I am quite impressed at how this thing shifts on the fly and has quick response under load when hitting the steep uphill climbs. The brakes are quite responsive and the overall ride is quite comfortable on some pretty rough terrain. Fits like a glove. Shmooooooooooove.

Favorite Trail:   Guardsman to any numerous destinations in the Wasatch

Purchased At:   Individual

Similar Products Used:   Nothing Similliar.

Bike Setup:   PUSH rear and FOX front suspension. Avid discs brakes. XT's front and back.XT rear deraillerur, LX front derailleur, xt cassette, specialized strongarm II cranks, Deore rapidfire shifters.

Submitted by Alex from Sheffield

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2008

Strengths:    I only have the frame! I hammer it.., give it all i can and occasionaly think im going to brake it but i never do! Good small travelle xc bike, can take all the drops and rough terrane that my friends new long travelle all mountain bikes can! so there!!!

Weaknesses:    bushings at the swing arm end of the rear shock ware out frequently, and the head tube is a bit to flexy for aggressive xc.

Bottom Line:
Brilliant frame, best of the enduro's i recon! (untill this year)

Submitted by sixer a Weekend Warrior from Bloomsburg, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, light frame with forged parts, great geometry, versatile

Weaknesses:    Brand new specialized bikes are very expensive

Bottom Line:
This is an outstanding bike. If you buy it new (as a leftover) it is still very expensive, but you get a great warranty. I bought mine used, but in great shape. This bike climbs fine as long as you aren't in a big hurry and descends like a short-travel downhill bike. The upgrade from a comp or elite up to an expert or pro is definitely worth it, IMO.

I am still getting used to a dual-suspension, but I don't have any bob issues. I run the lyric fork with no compression damping, full travel and DHX5 air rear with no propedal-99% of the time, I am still climbing everything I did on my hardtail. The bike is a little leggy-feeling (tall, choppered out) at slow speeds, but as soon as you get a little speed, it settles down and behaves nicely.

This bike will split duties between fun trail rides throughout the year and occasional trips to Diablo freeride park in the summer. The only other bike I even considered for these purposes was the heckler (but never found one with the right build at the right price).

4 out of 5 for value because they are expensive (but worth it).
5 out of 5 overall because this bike will be a blast on ANY trail except for a XC race course.

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   downhill rentals-kona stinky, iron horse 7point, test ride-hecklers

Bike Setup:   07 (old frame, but not as old as the one pictured at the top of this page) medium, lyric coil fork, hone crankset, low BB mount

Submitted by Nigel Smithers a Downhiller from Exeter, England, UK

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2007

Strengths:    Superb handling at high speed through rocky terrain, through roots, step downs, 2-6ft drops and pretty much anything thrashing. Linkage is amazing too with no sloppiness in the rear end wandering all over the place when the frame is pushed hard.

Weaknesses:    Not enough XL sizes!!

Bottom Line:
With the right kit, proper setup with the shocks and forks this bike is bloody amazing and bollocks to boot. The bike weighs just shy of 31 lbs and I am a large fellow standing around 6ft 5" and weighing around 240lbs (US weight). I managed to find an XL frame and the original paint was from the Enduro Elite (green)! Nice original colour but faded and worn out. Might I suggest custom painting the frame to your likes so one can really be inspired to ride the dicken out of it. Cheers mates.

Favorite Trail:   The Rift (Wales)

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Nomad, Santa Cruz Heckler, Foes FXR and Intense 6.6.

Bike Setup:   (2-shocks) #1. Cane Creek Double Barrel with a 500lb Ti-spring. #2. Marzocchi Rocco Air WC RC: (2-Forks) 1. Rock Shox Lyric coil to go with the Cane Creek shock. 2. Marzocchi 55ATA SL 1 125-165 air fork. The rest of the kit has Hope M4 185mm brakes, Sram X0 08' drivetrain, Saint Crankset with an MRP chain guide, Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4 tyers, Chris King headset, DT Swiss 5.1 rims with Hope Pro 2 hubset, Race Face Diabolus stem(silver), Race Face Diabolus bar(silver), Odi lockon grips with blue clamps, braided hoses, Thomson seatpost, Wtb saddle, Salsa clamp. Had the frame custom painted since it was pretty worn out from the previous owner. It is now in custom annodized cobalt blue with a silver fleck to add depth to it. Silver is in the front by the headtube fading to the deep blue and then down by the drop outs it blends into a silver again. Nice job painting the frame lads in Exeter.

Submitted by Tom Judy a Downhiller from Cool, California

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2007

Strengths:    Best All Mtn Full Sus bike I have been on for the money. Specialized Warranty Top notch. This bike handles technical steep descents like D-Ville and Sierra foothills with ease. I am 5'10" 170 lbs, went with the large frame

Weaknesses:    Like so many others, originally bought 02 Enduro Sport FSR, cracked frame at Seat tube, but, Specialized replaced with 04 Enduro Pro frame no questions asked. Definitely had to do some upgrades for top performance and durability (see set up) Still hear creaks when up hilling. My rig is 31 lbs, a little heavy for uphill

Bottom Line:
One day at D-Ville just for fun I rented a SC Blurr to compare, using the same wheel set. Could not tell the difference. That sold me, considering that the Blurr cost much more. This was the first full suspension I have owned, sold my old bike (Trek 8700 Carbon Hard tail with Rock Shoxs on front) after the first 6 months of this and never looked back. Yeah extra weight was an adjustment, but, I love gravity. Have now added a Giant Glory DH to the quiver, and am winning DH races. The base of that success is definitely this Enduro Pro.

If you want an awesome all mountain Full Suspension bike that will perform, and last, look no further.

Favorite Trail:   Clementine Loop

Purchased At:   Cyclepaths (DEMO)

Similar Products Used:   SC Blurr, Rocky Mtn, probably 1/2 dozen other all mtn bikes in last 4 years

Bike Setup:   04 Enduro Pro frame, XTR fnt/rear Dérailleurs and brakes, sealed BB, WTB Weirwolf 2.35", Stans tubeless, Mavic rims, 02 Marzochi Bomber fork ,DHX 5.0 rear

Submitted by raphael a Weekend Warrior from norcal

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2007

Strengths:    the versitality

Weaknesses:    none w/ my parts

Bottom Line:
good for single tracks

Favorite Trail:   flume and downieville

Purchased At:   used frame

Similar Products Used:   custom iron horse f.r.,jamis dakar, rocky mountain switch, santa cruz bullit

Bike Setup:   enduro pro frame, nixon elite fork, lx cranks and derailer, bb7 disc brakes

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Renton, WA USA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2006

Strengths:    - A perfect All Mountain bike that climbs, descends and is capable of handling light stunts.
- 6" of travel in the rear
- strong beefy frame
- descends incredibly well
- Slack head-angle
- descent climber for it's size, weight and slack HA
- DHX 5 Air & 36RC2 (great match)

Weaknesses:    only things I can think of are
- BB height is a little low
- weight (but for a strong 6" travel bike, I really can't complain)

Bottom Line:
I cracked the '03 at the seat tube weld earlier this year and Specialized sent me the '06 Enduro Pro frame. All I had to do was purchase the rear shock. Specialize's warranty is awesome!

My '03 Enduro was capable, but I find the '06 to be the perfect bike for the aggressive trail rider that enjoys light stunts and descents.

This is one of the most capable, confidence inspiring rides I have ever owned. The geometry is right on for my style of riding. The headangle is approx 67.5 with the 07 36RC2. The front and rear smooth out the chatter bumps with ease.

I actually raced this bike in the Test of Metal in Squamish this summer and finished in the middle of the group of 800 riders. This was my first race.

The bike descends incredibly well and much better than my '03. It handles 3-5ft drops without any problems. The DHX and 36RC2 just soak it up. It rails corners on descents and is capable of clearing tight switchbacks during clibms. However, I do feel the weight difference between my 28 lb '03 and the 32.5 lb '06, but the bike still climbs incredibly well. And the beefier frame is just what I need for my style of riding. With the DHX and frame geometry I don't notice any bouncing during climbing.

I regularly take it to Tiger Mtn where there is a steep 3 mi. climb from the parking lot to the trail head, then a long 8 mi. descent on single track and some fireroads. I'm typically passing other riders on the way up. If I didn't catch them on the way up, I certainly do on the way down.

With the right mix of components I'm sure you could get this bike around the 30lb mark.

Favorite Trail:   Chikamin Creek - Minnow Ridge

Purchased At:   warrantied

Similar Products Used:   '03 Enduro Pro w/BETD 6" upgrade. '05 marz AM1 130-150mm, '99 FSR Ground Control. '03 Fox TALAS RLC (125mm); 03 Pushed Fox Float RL w/iTch switch

Bike Setup:   2006 Enduro Pro frame (large), DHX 5.0 Air, '07 36RC2 TALAS (160mm), CK headset, Mavic 819s, hope bulb hubs,X.9 triggers w/R-Der, XT FD, XT cranks, E.13 DRS, Enduro Pro 2.3 tires, Thomson Seatpost, Thomson stem, EC70 MonkeyLite Risers, ODI lock-ons, wtb laser stealth, 540 pedals. 32.5 lbs

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from Yucaipa, CA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, handles the climbs and the descent very well. The frame warranty is outstanding.

Weaknesses:    The frame cracked at the top of the weld where the seat tube connects to the top tube/monocoque structure. Specialized warranted the frame in just a couple of days!. I now have a brand new frame. The one that broke was a 2003 year model, they sent out a 2004! So I guess that this is hardly a weakness, as I will be a Specialized customer for life.

Bottom Line:
This bike has been one of my favorites, the other one was the Uzzi SL. It is light enough to pedal up, and with 5" of travel, plush enough to have fun on the way back down the trail. I am still not a fan of the 'pedaling platform' style bikes, the FSR suspension, in my opinion, is where it's at. Throw in the reasonable price, manufacturer support and warranty, and great performance, this is a great bike!

Favorite Trail:   Santa Ana River Trail

Similar Products Used:   Turner Burner, Uzzi SL, Uzzi DH, Azonic Saber

Bike Setup:   Fox 125R, Fox Float, Sram X9 drivetrain, Sun Singletrack wheels, Juicy 7 brakes

Submitted by Neil Croxton a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2006

Strengths:    DH capability, but still climbs well for weight, very balanced with stiff, precice handling. Value for money (mine cost £2100 for S-works 05)

Weaknesses:    Tyres (occasionally unpredictable on corners). Talas RC2 forks have lost 5mm of travel....somewhere. Mojo promised to return them to me FOC.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is -I love this bike.

I am of the DH rather than XC persuasion, but really enjoy the UK/Welsh trails and my local spot of Cannock Chase. This bike can do everything you want it to. Also off to Glen tress soon - cant wait!!!

It is very easy to review this bike - if you want a do-it-all ride and don’t mind sweating a bit more on the climbs only to rip up the DH and jumpy trails then this is the bike for you. If you want to beat all your friends to the top or ride a lot of flat singletrack then buy something else, because this bike can get bored (buy a stumpjumper). For more extreme XC / freeride / "this week's buzz word" the frame is awesome and combined with the super stiff Fox TALAS it often feels unstoppable. I also tried the Orange Patriot, which was a similar ride, but I found the medium too short and large too long (I am about 6'3"). The L enduro with short stem is spot on. '06 model has improved Fox DHX air shock, but after quite a bit of tweaking my 5th element is spot on.

I spent 18months looking for the right full suss bike for me (after all £2000 is a lot for the wrong bike) and I have not regretted my decision for 1 second even after trying the Scott ransom, which rides very similarly. In fact when you put them side by side the similarities are almost uncanny.....!

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Leisure Lakes, Wolves, UK

Similar Products Used:   Scott Ransom, Specialised Stumpjumper FSR, Orange 5, Orange Patriot XC & Excel.

Bike Setup:   '05 S-works enduro (large) with Easton bar and stem (65mm), DMR V12s and ODI grips. Set up with slack head angle shock mount.

Submitted by Craig Miller a Weekend Warrior from New York, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2006

Strengths:    Flexibility
Agility

Weaknesses:    Saddle

Bottom Line:
After years of riding a hardtail, and taking on more and more challenging / technical trails, I decided I needed a full suspension. I wanted something that could handle the toughest trail, and that I could use for occasional downhilling, too. But I wanted it to be able to attack the uphills just as well! Because I love all types of trails: from the curse & wimper killer technical, to the crazy teeth-chattering downhills, to fast smooth rolling hills.

This bike fits the criteria. That simple. It feels perfect on every trail, letting me adjust as I go. My model's a couple years older now, so I have to reach down to lock out the rear shock on the uphills, but I guess the newer models have the auto-sensing rear, so all the better.

They should ship it with one of those seat-posts that flip up/down. Then it would surely be the most versatile bike on the market.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim, Moab