Specialized Enduro Expert All Mountain Full Suspension

4.35/5 (78 Reviews)

FSR rear suspension paired with Fox shocks front and rear guarantees the Expert equally excellent small bump performance and big hit absorption.
  • Custom Fox RP23-S shock features position-sensitive Boost Valve damping, low-speed compression damping with 3-way adjustable “open” and “climbing” settings - meaning, great bump performance and solid climbing efficiency
  • Buttery smooth Fox 36 Float R 160mm fork with 20mm thru-axle, tapered alloy steerer, and rebound adjust is stiff, super light, and strong for all-mountain madness
  • Newly revamped for increased stiffness, the Roval Traverse AL all-mountain wheelset, with DT Swiss internals and 20mm thru-axle, offers mountain-leveling durability and light weight
  • Super light, custom SRAM Carbon S-2200 10-speed double crankset with GXP spindle, Gamut shift guide and removable spider for stiffness, performance, and durability
  • Avid Elixir CR SL lightweight hydraulic disc brakes/levers with alloy backed semi-metallic pads and tool-free reach and pad contact adjustment for superb control and modulation
  • Specialized Command Post is a 3-position adjustable-height seatpost with remote lever for on-the-fly changes to riding position; 125mm travel

Submitted by Dave a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2014

Strengths:    Rides like a motorcycle, eats up rocks and roots. Fork is unflappable.

Weaknesses:    A little springy at times but you can adjust it. Honestly, who cares, not me.

Bottom Line:
This bike is amazing. I have decent hardtails, stumpjumper and a heavily modified rockhopper with a reba. I have thudbusters on them so they are fairly comfortable. The thing is, the enduro rides over rocks a lot better, the hardtails get bounced around the enduro does not. I never noticed flex in my Rebas until after riding the enduro, it's like a motorcycle fork. The bike isn't even all that heavy considering what it can do. Yes, it is expensive for A1, but used on the right day it's a great deal.

Duration Product Used:   Couple days

Purchased At:   auction

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper HT, Rockhopper with reba added.

Bike Setup:   550 spring, large frame set up for about 200 pounds.

Submitted by NAYR751 a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2012

Strengths:    To put it simply, this bike rides like a DH bike but allows you to peddle to the top. The geometry, and suspension design allows you to throw your bike into the gnarliest of lines and come out clean. I've ridden this bike in every environment, from Northstar rocks to fast flowy single track and it's very difficult if not impossible to find a bike that excels as well as the Enduro in all conditions. If you are a rider that likes to haul the mail and can only afford one bike, this is without a doubt it.
Good:
1) Geometry
2)Ability to plow through anything like a DH bike
3)Built to last. I ride my bikes hard, and have trashed this bike and it's still going strong. After a year and a half of shuttling, lift riding, and local xc riding(which may as well be downhilling as well) the bike has no dents in the frame and only a few minor scratches. The frame bearings are all still good, and the frame has no noticeable flex when riding hard.

Weaknesses:    The Bad: There are 5 things that I don't really like about the Enduro. Some can be easily changed but some cannot.
1) The cable routing under the frame. This is not really a problem if you don't shuttle, or ever throw your bike over a tailgate, but I really wish bicycle companies would consider this when designing the cable routing.
2)The shock: I debated putting this in the bad category as it does do many things well, but if you are an aggressive/heavier rider, the shock has a tendency to blow through the travel on harder hits(G outs, small drops, big square edge bumps)
3)The offset specialized stem. Over time, the spacer for the stem will decide it's worn out and you will literally be able to flex your handlebars up and down a half inch. Ditch the specialized stem and buy a Thompson.
4)Not coming with a travel adjust fork. This bike will climb much better with a travel adjust fork(Specialized specced the 2012 enduro expert with a travel adjust fork). On steeper climb the bike makes you feel like your riding a wheelie. This is a give and take though. The geo of the bike yields amazing DH performance so it's understandable the way the bike climbs. From personal experience a travel adjust fork will make this thing a much more eager climbing machine.
5) The Specialized seat will eventually start to creak; get a new one. Also, if you are using a Specialized Command Post, crank the bolt that holds the seat in place five times harder than you would anything else, or your seat will self adjust.

Bottom Line:
Overall Review:

Overall, you want this bike if you are a gravity focused rider that can only have one bike. If you have a DH bike and are looking for a trail bike, look for a smaller bike. The only reason I say that is because this bike climbs like a pig compared to other bikes in its class. The Nomad, Ibis Mojo, etc all pedal much better. The tradeoff is the Enduro rides down the trail better. Personally, I will be selling this bike to get a lighter, more XC friendly bike at the end of the year, but that is because I have a DH bike to ride, and this bike creates some overlap in the bike stable.But, in summary, this bike is rad. You will not be disappointed if you buy one.

Duration Product Used:   1.5 years

Purchased At:   Bicycle Bob's

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Nomad

Bike Setup:   Enduro Expert and Demo 8

Submitted by Grant a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2012

Strengths:    This bike is absolutely perfect for me. The first time I rode it on a rocky, loose downhill, I actually laughed out loud because of how smooth the ride was. Then going uphill it does the job just fine. You're not gonna blow doors off any XC guys uphill but who cares. I couldn't ask for a better bike.

Weaknesses:    Stock tires are grippy but wear out pretty fast.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike.It makes my wife jealous.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon

Purchased At:   B+L Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Rize

Bike Setup:   Stock so far, only had to change the tires to Kenda Nevegals.

Submitted by Menny a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2012

Strengths:    This bike is great in descending and will bring you down very fast, the FSR suspension is amazing for descending singles and dropping off !

Weaknesses:    The front wheel wander in climbing, the FSR is bobbing in climbing (I always need to use the pro-pedal), bike tend to lend "noisy" in drops and the front wheel tend to lose traction in corners, even when descending !

Bottom Line:
This Review is for Enduro Expert 2010, M size. This bike is not the ideal bike for beginners! the rider need to be very skill in order to control it…

Purchased At:   Israel

Similar Products Used:   Giant Reign

Bike Setup:   I replaced the front fork (2-step lyrik) with fox float 160 mm

Submitted by L-train a All Mountain Rider from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2012

Strengths:    Do-everything capable. Fun, fast and stable.

Weaknesses:    Suspension needs tightening from time-to-time, command post doesn't really work that great (after a year), some paint chips that look like ass.

Bottom Line:
I like to customize my bikes, but I bought it used fairly stock (except for the fork) and I was blown away at the ride right out of the gates. Uphills were a breeze and found myself staying with much fitter people because I was actually putting the power down vs. bobbing all the time. On the decent, it felt as capable as my DEMO although some credit has to go to the banger fork upgrade. I rode a friends Nomad and the Enduro descends better, is livelier and they climb about the same even though the Nomad is a bit lighter.

Made the change to a 1x10 and it was a good move, don't really need the extra gearing and I've found that I really have just given up the extremities that were rarely used anyway. Quiet descending and easy pop of the release on the seat to get it out of the way or bring it back up is phenomenal for the undulating terrain. Love the slack head-tube angle and the seat-tube angle which is very efficient and a nice balance between freeride and XC. I will have no problem taking this bike to Whistler bike park this summer, its that tough...although I might get an extra set of DH wheels just in case...

We ride very demanding trails in awful conditions (snow, rain, mud, etc...) and the Enduro seems to be holding up really well (aside from a few unsightly paint chips). Highly recommend for the all-mountain ripper who earn their descents.

Similar Products Used:   SX Trail, Norco Range, Nomad

Bike Setup:   2010 model. Changed to Single ring 1x10, changed to XTR derailleur, Fox Talas 180 up front, Raceface Atlas 750mm bars, rockshox reverb

Submitted by Tystevens a Weekend Warrior from SLC, Utah

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2012

Strengths:    Geometry, strong component set, Command post, tubeless ready

Weaknesses:    Carbon cranks?

Bottom Line:
This has been an awesome bike so far. Everyone's first question -- how does it climb? In my opinion, it climbs as well or better than should be expected from a bike this downhill-capable. No bobbing fromthe suspension, seat tube angle helps me get the right position when pedaling seated. Lots of suspension action when pedaling standing up, but that is to be expected. Climbs easily as well as my last bike, and doesn't deter me from riding where I want to ride, which is all I ask for.

But like all the reviews say, the downhill is where this bike really shines. After only 8 rides, I already have lots more confidence in riding where and how I want to ride. Geometry feels great, I'm in the perfect position to navigate the tough spots, and I feel comfortable really letting 'er rip. Nothing huge or crazy so far (can't wait for summer!), but the smaller stunts and drops that aren't under the snow yet have never been easier. And even as a Clydesdale rider, I feel confident that this bike will handle anything I have the guts to throw at it.

Comes with some nice odds and ends, too. Command Post is a great addition -- something I never knew I needed. Same with tubeless-ready wheels and tires, which are very easy to get set up and ride. The carbon cranks don't really make sense on a bike built to be burly like this one, and I'll have some concerns bashing them on a rocky ride like Porcupine, but I guess we'll see how they last.

Value might not be great at msrp compared to the other bikes out there, but I got mine as a end-year clearance, and got a great deal, so this bike's value is off the charts for what I paid for it.

Favorite Trail:   Wasatch Crest, TWE

Similar Products Used:   Jamis XLT 2.0

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by pieroglif a Weekend Warrior from Poland

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2011

Strengths:    dual geometry, weight, finish

Weaknesses:    None found yet

Bottom Line:
Not being to compare the bike to others, it's extremely easy to say it's the best bike I have ridden. However, I have demo'ed a few more and honestly, Spec Enduro excels at what I need most - the ability to climb anything, not necessarily at the fastest pace, but effectively, and bomb down the track while going down hill. The custom setup is of course nothing close to the stock one, but the frame is one important part - the size M top tube is just fit for me - 5'10' long legs and arms, 170 lbs, and the bottom bracket sits high enough to go past the rocks on my trails. Also, its long wheel base gives me stability on descents.

Favorite Trail:   Local mountains

Purchased At:   Boone Bike

Bike Setup:   Lyrik 2-step, Elixir CR, I9 laced to Mavic 823's, DHX Coil 5.0, Truvativ Stylo, SRAM 9.0 shifters/rear, XT front, 991 chain, 990 cassette, Sun Ringle pedals, Sunline V1 handlebar, Gravity stem, Chris King headset, ODI grips, WTB Pure V seat, specialized post

Submitted by Stumpy Destroyer a Weekend Warrior from Renton,WA

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2011

Strengths:    Very solid bike. Very light weight for an all mountain machine.

Weaknesses:    Stock brakes.

Bottom Line:
This is the first bike I've owned that feels secure for me. I'm 6'2, 220 pounds, I ride mostly a mix of XC, Freeride and Downhill and generally put a lot of stress on things. I have not felt any signs of strain yet. It climbs really well and handles everything I've thrown at it.
Right out of the box the Avid brakes have needed bleeding after every ride. When bled right the Avid's worked great. My LBS has continued to work on them under warranty but I decided to swap them for some new XT's anyways. This doesn't hinder my thoughts about the bike and I still give it a 5 out of 5.
If you want a bike that can do almost everything this is the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Tiger Mountain

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel EX

Bike Setup:   2011 Enduro Expert all stock except for going tubeless and XT trail brakes

Submitted by stompeinator a Racer from Novato, ca

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, light enough to climb, with dhx5 air pumped up climbs like a champ

Weaknesses:    none whatsoever if you ride it like i do

Bottom Line:
Best bike i have ever owned. You can pick up one of these frames cheap , although you can only buy used now =/(RIP true enduros), and they are bomb-proof while still practical. I climb this bike right up with 21 lb. cross country racers and ride down faster than guys on 8inch DH rigs. Best all-mountain bike you can purchase on a budget, because nomad=ridiculously expensive.

Favorite Trail:   Stinkfist

Purchased At:   ebay, frame

Similar Products Used:   Used to ride a 2003 enduro pro

Bike Setup:   '07 enduro expert test bike, '09 Lyrik solo-air, '08 dhx5 air, hone cranks, xt deraillers, lasterdisc trails

Submitted by Warren Hubbard a Weekend Warrior from Milford Mass

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2008

Strengths:    This is one tough bike. It's only seen the shop for a winter tune-up. The brakes are impressive, rolling, corners, drops(on the smaller side, I wouldn't go over 5'). This whole bike is it's strength.

Weaknesses:    Pedals will hit rocks! Low clearance is the only problem I've had with this bike. After being used to it, you'll learn what it'll clear.

Bottom Line:
I am very satisfied with this bike. It's taken a beating. I've wrecked and thought "It's going in the shop this time" and the bike is fine. It rolls through "Nam" like some of the $3000 to $5000 bike you see up there, though I wouldn't hit some of the nastier stuff there with it, the bike could probablly take it. I'll stick with Specialized Enduro's when this one's had enough. My GT was nothing but problems. I've found that this bike is capable of ripping through single track and tackling some nasty stuff in "Nam". Worth my hard earned money!

Favorite Trail:   Vietnam

Purchased At:   Milford Bike

Similar Products Used:   GT lts2

Bike Setup:   Mine came with a Fox Float R and Marzocci EXR Race fork so didn't need to change anything. Avid's are awesome. Went with a Specialized saddle.

Submitted by chris a Weekend Warrior from irvine, ca

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2008

Weaknesses:    fox removed air valve on the piggy back so shock would fit on frame

Bottom Line:
ok...got my shock back from fox after they fixed the pro-pedal. also did a shock mod on the dhx 5a 9added insert to outter air sleeve) and had fox increase air in piggy back to 170psi (ships at 150psi). i ride it on the high bb for less pedal-smack. still tuning it in but it climbed very well (as well as my xc bike) and the downhill was incredible...super fast and rolls over everything...good jumper too. the brakes are very responsive..still have to get used to them. for me it was a toss up to get this bike ('07 enduro expert sx) or an'08 GT sanction. the gt seems easier to work on if your doing your own repairs/maintenance...then again....may be that i just need to get accustomed to this bike.

Purchased At:   rock nroad

Bike Setup:   x.o shifters, x.9 rd, juicy 7 brakes, talas 36 r, dhx 5a

Submitted by chris a Weekend Warrior from irvine,ca

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2008

Strengths:    still evaluating, talas fork seems ok, juicy 7 brakes are sweet.

Weaknesses:    dhx 5 rear shock, low BB

Bottom Line:
still getting used to the bike. previously rode xc bike (gt i-drive 5, which i like very much). geometry of this bike is quite different. have read lots of complaints about banging pedals on rocks due to the low BB. i experienced that on my first ride, very disappointing, but could be a result of the crappy fox dhx 5 air rear shock. the bb height is only 7mm lower than my gt (thats less than 1/4 inch) so it's not drastically lower. i'm having the shop look at the shock, maybe replace the can with a float can, read that has helped. i'm 230lbs so i need a rear shock that's gonna support my a**. hopefully will be more giddy about this bike with a better performing rear shock.

Favorite Trail:   aliso woods canyon

Purchased At:   rock&road

Bike Setup:   sram x.0 shifters (upgrade), sram 9 rd, juicy 7 brakes, fox dhx 5 air, fox talas 36

Submitted by Davo a Downhiller from tulsa

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2007

Strengths:    I have the 2006 model enduro expert with brake,shifter lever,and other small item upgrades. Besides that, this bike is perfect for an agressive all mountaineer. Not really made for doing anything too big, but my fox 36 has not bottomed out yet nor have i had any problems with the DHX 5.0 air. Once you get the adjustments correct on the suspension, this bike will do anything if you know what you are doing. The only weakness i see is in the wheelset and bottom bracket. Although neither has busted, but i plan on upgrading those once they meet there maker.

Weaknesses:    like i said, i haven't broken anything yet, but i can see a new wheelset and cranks eventually. I have done 9 - 12 ft. drops onto transitions and nothing yet.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike for someone who tries to get all aspects of the mountain.

Similar Products Used:   first bike that handles like this

Bike Setup:   2006 enduro expert frame, fox talas 36, dh pro pig headset, truvativ hussefelt stem, custom sos rims, juicy 7 brake system, x-9 shifters and derailleur, stylo cranks, brooklyn machine works platforms, FSA xc280 bars, dhx 50 air

Submitted by Durnizll from planet earth

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2007

Strengths:    stable, fast, plush. snappy acceleration, good braking, mean traction.

Weaknesses:    rear shock size& stroke is custom for frame. hard to find replacement the same size. 5th element air is.. alright i guess, probaly better ones out there.

Bottom Line:
2006 enduro expert frame with a frankenstien build works pretty sick to me. bought the frame from ebay. swapped parts from banshee for all mtn use. banshee was too heavy. have demo 8 for dh so i stuck w/ specialized for all mtn. sick bike that can handle lots. has its dh speed limit. also has its uphill limits. handles wide veriety of terrain, fast, smooth, bermed out trails, its like a slingshot. front end can get light in the air over bigger, high speed gaps. gnarlier compression on those landings too. demo 8 better for that. steep, rugged, techy sections it pretty much plows over or through w/minimal reckless abandon. 5th element air could be swapped out but works {especially after rebuid by GarageWorks}. parts is parts though. thrash what you got, get more later. over all stoked, gonna try coil over and 66 for the more progressive trails when traveling. works good with the build it has on it though. decent weight goin' right now for all mtn. can be tough for longer xc climbs. makes every dh section super short cuz you can just bomb. that alone is worth it to me.

Favorite Trail:   fast & flowy, bermed & gapped, old school techy too.

Purchased At:   frame /online