Specialized Enduro Elite All Mountain Full Suspension

• SRAM X-9, mid cage rear derailleur
  • SRAM X-7 Trigger, 9-speed shifters

Submitted by TonynTexas a Cross Country Rider from Haslet

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2010

Strengths:    It is a tank...killer looks...stock it rocks or upgrade to add your own style it still rocks

Weaknesses:    That rear shock has stuck on me twice and had to be rebuild..one time over three years...not to bad

Bottom Line:
This is an update to this bike I wrote a few years ago..I have been recently looking at getting another FS Bike but have not found anything new that floats my boat like this one did..IMO this is still one of the best all mountain bikes that Specialized or anyone else made...and compared to the newer models it still looks killer..it reminds me of the old school dude that still can kick arse with the new boys..I have rode it..wrecked it...hit trees..dropped it..tossed it..rolled it..name it..it has seen it..and the ridiculous everytime I clean it it looks awesome..the one big grip I had where the tires..they just sucked for keeping speed on the trails when they got flat..I threw on some Maxis 2.1 tires and it rolls and handles alot better and feels a little lighter when hammering it...I plan on ditching the bash gaurd and going with a triple setup like race face or similar even though the bash guard has saved it a few times..I decided to write this follow up because I truly believe in this bike...if you can find a used one snag it and ride the crap out of it..I was all set to get a new bike..but cant find one yet that would take the place of this beast...this is an honest review of a great bike and I have owned some suck bikes and equipment and bit the bullet on the purchase..this is bike in my book is a classic from Specialized and it is Heavy Metal all the way.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere There Is Dirt

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   A few XC bikes

Bike Setup:   I put carbon bars, seatpost, stem, and xo shifters along with xtr pedals on it.and Maxis 2.1 tires. Mavic Crossmax Wheels

Submitted by Quimmerman a Weekend Warrior from The Tron, NZ

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2009

Strengths:    Lots of metal on the frame... Really its built like a tank. Have put it through its paces on jumps, drops, and all manner of lions, tigers and bears (oh no!) with few whinges. good stability at speed and in descent. The anchors on this bad boy pull up like nothing else. Dual ring setup and bash guard has saved replacing a 3rd ring several times.
Good gearing- will never look at shimano mechs again. Actually climbs ok, especially in the tech stuff. point it at the bumps and go.

Weaknesses:    Lots of metal on the frame... Can be a bit heavy on the uphills but then thats the kind of beast it is.
Stupid rear shock stroke length. BB had to be replaced soon after purchase cos it was poo and broke (warranty job from a bad batch). Some money saved on build in places- hubs, head set, stem etc. Dualie can be a bit noisy.
Stock front end used to feel a bit wobbly compared to the rest of the bike.

Bottom Line:
With a little tweaking this can be made into a total WEAPON of a bike. I now know I'll never be able to out- ride this bike. A good choice for light FR and maybe touching on some DH. Its an ALL MOUNTAIN bike and does exactly what it says on the tin.

Favorite Trail:   Be Rude Not To

Price Paid:    $1971.00

Purchased At:   LBS, Napier

Similar Products Used:   GT Force, Stumpy- ok so not THAT similar...

Bike Setup:   Replaced forks with fox float 36s with a 20mm bolt through, front wheel rebuilt stronger after taco incident, replaced rings, cassette and chain several times over. Candy SL pedals.

Submitted by qazwsx a Weekend Warrior from ForCo Area, Co, USA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2009

Strengths:    Awesome

Weaknesses:    My only gripe is that rear shock suffered a stuck down position within the first five miles of trail. Sent it back and got it promptly. The saddle sucked a$$ had to go.

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks! Its a little heavy for tough technical climbing and my riding buddy can whoop my @$$ with his stumpjumper fsr but when we go back down the trail he just can't keep up. The saddle sucks but most of us upgrade from the stock anyway. If you want a solid trail bike for a killer price this is the bike for you.

Favorite Trail:   Devil's Backbone merge into Coyote Ridge

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro SL, Stumpjumper, SX Trail 2, and demoed a Pitch

Bike Setup:   WTB Rocket V saddle, Maxxis 2.1 CrossMark UST rear and Specialized Fast Trak LX 2.0 up front, e-thirteen chain guard

Submitted by PA All Mtn Man a Weekend Warrior from Berwick, PA, United States

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2009

Strengths:    Everything. I have taken this bike in stock form to Diablo Freeride Park, and Snowshoe West Virginia. It took everything at both parks I was man enough to hit, and kept on flying. For the price and the build kit you get its really a good value. You get fsr suspension, avid, sram, and FOX front and rear. I love it.

Weaknesses:    The saddle had to go. Within the first week of ownership, rear shock suffered stuck down condition. Sent back to fox, and it was handled. Works great.

Bottom Line:
If you think this bike looks like you could litterally fly on it....your absolutely right. Just looking at this bike sitting in my apartment makes me wanna ride. Ride this bike and you will think your Matt Hunter. Haha. Maybe not. I find myself searching each trail for little things I can use as a jump. I am actually thinking about buying another frame, for when this one craps out. Sux they dont offer this frame design anymore. I would recommend this bike to anyone looking for a solid all mountain machine. Just riding this bike will make a novice feel like a pro. If your looking for a cross country racer, look elsewhere. This bike climbs alright, if you take your time. It is possible to bust a lung trying to keep up to someone up a climb on a four inch carbon bike. But they best get out the way on the downhills, cuz you'll eat them for lunch.

Favorite Trail:   The New Guy

Purchased At:   The Dutch Wheelman

Similar Products Used:   First dually, nothing to compare to.

Bike Setup:   Stock for the first year w/ crank bros mallett.
Have upgraded the front fork from the float 32 rl, to a beefy float 36 rc2. That upgrade made this bike an all mountain shredder. I am upgrading the rear stroker to the dhx 5. Making this bike the 6 and 6 inch bike it is meant to be.

Submitted by paallmtnman a Weekend Warrior from Berwick, Pa, United States

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2009

Strengths:    Just about everything. I've taken this bike in stock form to Diablo Freeride Park, and Snowshoe. It took everything I was man enough to hit and kept on flyin. I absolutely love this bike. The way it looks just makes me wanna ride. This is my first dually, and I was pleasently surprised. I acrually thought about buying another frame for when this one craps out. Sux they dont offer this frame style anymore.

Weaknesses:    Within first week: rear shock suffered stuck down condition. Sent back to fox, taken care of. Other than that NOTHING.

Bottom Line:
If you think this looks like a bike you could shred on...Your right. Get this bike and I promise you will think your Matt Hunter. Haha. Well maybe.

Favorite Trail:   The New Guy

Purchased At:   The Dutch Wheelman

Similar Products Used:   First dually, nothing to compare to.

Bike Setup:   Stock for the first year. Upgraded from the float rl 130 to a 07 float 36 rc2. Made this bike into an all mountain shredder. I am upgrading the rear stroker to a dhx 5 air, make this bike the 6 and 6 inch bike it is meant to be.

Submitted by Rob B a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2008

Strengths:    Price, great standard features, do-it-all bike, 32lbs with XL frame, great on wide variety of trails.

Weaknesses:    No lock-out on rear shock - would be even more versatile for running XC trails, tracking on uphill.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for my first $1000+ model. Runs downhill and hills great, able to handle most technical stuff with speed. Fall behind my buddy on smooth XC trails (he has a carbon frame hard-tail)...but I blow him away when it comes to downhill and rough/technical trail. Low BB height does require my attention at times. At 175lbs I feel the Fox DHX Air 4.0 may be near max for rough riding (I use max recommended PSI) - not sure how well it will do for heavier riders. I havn't had it bottom out.

Favorite Trail:   Falcon, AFA

Purchased At:   Bicyclevillage

Bike Setup:   Stock except Specialized Milano Gel saddle, Fast Trak Armadillo Elite 2.2 front tire, Fast Trak LK Armadillo Elite 2.0 rear tire.

Submitted by BILL a Weekend Warrior from CO

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2008

Strengths:    Price, build kit frame and shocks.

Weaknesses:    brakes I am used to much bigger breaks being an ex downhiller/4xer. Pluse I weigh 240lbs

Bottom Line:
great trail bike one of the best I have ridden.

Favorite Trail:   keystone

Similar Products Used:   Santacruz Heckler

Bike Setup:   stock for now. soon to come DEE MAXX wheels hope 4 piston brakes.

Submitted by Mrhappy a Weekend Warrior from Hartford CT

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2008

Strengths:    Great Trail Bike. Climbs hills easily. Love the way it looks. I bought this bike on close out last December. This bike was awesome in the snow. I tear it up on the singletrack.

Weaknesses:    rear tire always rubbing . Heavy

Bottom Line:
somewhat dissapointed, everytime the tire rubs from regular riding. Any way too fix this? I would like to try a few different bikes now. This was my first Full Suspension bike. There are so Many awesome bikes to choose from nowadays.
Good luck, and find a good LBS. Service after you buy the bike is key!
go,go,go!

Favorite Trail:   Case Mountain

Purchased At:   Sunshine Cycle, Colc

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Jasper a Downhiller from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2008

Strengths:    This bike is stable on the downhills. Gives a lot of confidence on steep rollers.
Stock kit is solid.
The frame is super strong, I've done 2 Ft drops and no problems occurred.

Weaknesses:    The DHX Air 4 has a weak midstroke. Weird shock sizes, you cannot buy an aftermarket shock cause of the stroke size ( 2.25" )
Why does it only has 140mm of travel, instead of the 150mm on the expert and pro versions.

Bottom Line:
This bike is perfect if you are looking for a light freeride bike. It rips the downhills and jumps good.
Uphill is kind of hard but it can be done if you take your time.

Favorite Trail:   Toblerone Freeride Trail

Similar Products Used:   Nomad

Bike Setup:   Stock. Bar and stem both FSA, Just installed a 66Sl instead of the pike. Pedals are Shimano DX

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Poulsbo, WA, US

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2008

Strengths:    Solid construction, Components were fine for me, I'm 230 and don't jump off cliffs so the suspension & brakes work great!

Weaknesses:    Seat is more suited for a colonoscopy for my fat ass.

Bottom Line:
I would highly recommend this bike even though I've only had it a month. There are lots of adjustments you can make on this bike, and it was pretty painless to dial it in. I don't plan on too many upgrades except another seat and a good Lock!!

Purchased At:   Everett WA

Similar Products Used:   Trek Liquid & Trek Fuel

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Dorcuss Malorcuss a Weekend Warrior from Joisey

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2008

Strengths:    Price, specs, climbs better than I thought, super plush , corners better than my ML, do I need to go on?

Weaknesses:    I hate early reviews but I had to chime in, no weaknesses so far.

Bottom Line:
O.K. I am going against many beliefs here but Specialized is blowing the 07's out on Close Out so I thought it would be apropriate to give a premature evaluation.
I have never been a fan of Specialized at all period. This summer I had the chance to demo an 08 Enduro SL and I flat out hated it. The Specialized suspension was a pain in the arse to tune and the front end was too heavy feeling and made me shy away from the smallest drops. I then was looking for something a little bit beefier than my ml with a not so XC feeling. My LBS put me on the Elite and I loved it but didn't like the price tag, then he told me that they were discounted to $1600. It came with a Floatrl 130 which I put on my ML (perfect for that bike) and put on a Vanilla 140 which is a lot stiffer and has a longer axle to crown legth. This bike has put a smile on my face like no other bike. It climbs the slow technical stuff better than any bike I have, probably because all bumps are eliminated. And it bombs down hill with a point and shoot attitude. I have been running the frame in the slack geometry mode and like the way it feels in corners , climbing etc. The only thing that will bug you is the low BB height, it hits a lot. I set it up in the steep mode but only rode it lightly. It feels more XC and since I am not looking for that I will switch it back but the BB is higher. This bike is steady in the air and the front end pops up nice and easy which is important because I am an old fart. I am debating selling my ML due to the fact that this bike is more than I expected, but time will tell. It is a different animal altogether than other bikes in the 5-5.5" range, more AM/FR than Trail.

The reviews were pretty good and I took a chance and am lucky I did. If your LBS still has one get it!

33lbs even with heavy pedals. My scale is correct

Favorite Trail:   Monster at Blue

Purchased At:   Efingers

Similar Products Used:   I own a Titus ML, Maverick Reposado, a29erSS, and have owned many other FS bikes.

Bike Setup:   Stock 07 Elite but with an 07 Vanilla 140 up front and an XT Cassette (saved a lot of weight in the butt)

Submitted by Damien a Cross Country Rider from Tampa, FL. USA

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2008

Strengths:    Durable, relatively lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Already had 3 items warrantied: rear shock, crankset, and cracked chainstay. Specialized and Fox were both great with regards to the warranties.

Bottom Line:
A little heavy for XC trails, but with a set of 2.20 tires make a huge difference in handling and speed. Apparently several people have broken the rear chainstay, but it seems that Specialized has been very prompt with their warranty replacement.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Rick Gutierrez a Weekend Warrior from Mission Viejo, CA. USA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2008

Strengths:    Everything! High quality Fox suspension, brakes, frame geometry..

Weaknesses:    A little heavy at about 31 pounds. This can be fixed with light weight component upgrades. Lets face it, everyone loves to upgrade components anyway! Also beware that the bottom bracket is low. This doesn't really bother me because there is a huge benifit for having a low bottom bracket, lower center of gravity = better cornering. This makes it possible to hit you pedals on the ground while cornering, but if you pay attention to what you are doing this wont happen.

Bottom Line:
I LOVE this bike! I've been riding it for the last three months now and can't get enough. Compared to the Kona Stinky I had before, this thing shreds! It's about 5 pounds lighter, the suspension is alot higher quality, the geometry helps make those sharp turns and gives you a bit more control. My skill level has gone up alot because of this bike. Before I would go through rocks and bumpy sections slowly because of the po-go stick forks on the stinky, and the weight tired me out and slowed me down. But now I am keeping up with my friends and flying over rock sections!! Just floating over them! I am a very happy owner of my Enduro Elite. I am also looking forward to upgrading the bike to make it even lighter..

Favorite Trail:   San Juan Downhill

Purchased At:   Wheelworld

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky, Marin Riftzone, Specialized Stump Jumper

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Arthur Johnson a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2008

Strengths:    this bike is smooth and responsive, perfect amount of travel for an all mountain bike, with the ability of it still being lite. "Around 31 pounds, i believe"

Weaknesses:    low center of gravity, If your not careful in turns you will hit a pedal, for sure. steering wonders when climbing steep hills. learning the different crank setup since there is only 2 chainrings in the front and 9 cassettes in the rear it's just harder to find the perfect gear.

Bottom Line:
this is a great bike for anyone who want's a nice full suspension that can really do just about anything. its great for the money and can really change your whole perspective on MTB riding.

Favorite Trail:   Trail 100, Cathedral Rock