Specialized Enduro Comp All Mountain Full Suspension

4.67/5 (45 Reviews)

Roll it off the shop floor, slap on some pedals, strap on a helmet, and ride the whole mountain on an Enduro Comp.
  • Fully manipulated M5 alloy FSR frame with ORE tubing is the centerpiece of this incredibly versatile 160mm-travel design with sealed cartridge bearing pivots, ISCG mount, and replaceable derailleur hanger
  • Custom Fox RP2 rear shock features external ProPedal and rebound damping control in a design that combines high performance with low weight
  • RockShox Lyrik 20mm Maxle thru-axle fork with 160mm of travel, tapered steerer tube, external rebound adjust for dialed-in descents, and Solo Air cartridge for combined negative/positive air spring adjustability 2Bliss ready Clutch Control 2.3" dual compound front tire with plenty of traction for superb braking and cornering and rear Purgatory Control 2.2" tire for lightweight grip in intermediate conditions
  • Custom SRAM S-1250 9-speed double crankset with GXP spindle and shift guide for smooth, durable performance in rough conditions
  • Avid Elixir R SL lightweight hydraulic disc brakes/levers with alloy backed semi-metallic pads and tool-less reach adjust for superb control and modulation

Submitted by mike

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2014

Strengths:    High speed stability. Rear braking(horst link). Geometry. Standover. Travel. Front derailer mounted on rear triangle really helps keep chain on during jolting hits

Weaknesses:    Proprietary shock mount(no standard eyelet on shaft). Proprietary bottom headset bearing. Brand is infamous for having a big corporation attitude. With all their success and talent, I wish company was more humble, easy going for the cause/culture.

Bottom Line:
I have about 30 all mountain terrain rides on a late 2013 enduro comp.(has type 2 rear derailer) I run a large with a 50mm stem because I felt my size(med) didn't have enough top tube. I Put a pike on it (now standard in 2014) because original Fox 34 evo. got recalled and sent to shop. Pike is a fantastic AIR fork. Large or small hits all have same handlebar feedback,(minimal).
The Pike amplified shortcoming of frame shock. It wasn't using it's full stroke unless I badly cased a jump. I can't just go into a store and get a shock that fits so I called Push. They couldn't do their high end tune it because it had no boost valve, but they gave me valuable info for free.(They're Awesome!) I followed their advice, had OC bike garage dial in the size of volume reducers and in 3 days bike was back on my test trails. Now frame shock is on par with Pike. It's using 155 of it's 165 travel turned enduro into an incredible aggressive higher speed terrain bike.
Once dialed, the enduro comp is fully dedicated to holding my chosen line at speeds no other bike I've been on could keep so tightly. Even though I'm more daring with lines, trails, and speed, I've never felt safer. And as for climbing, it's better than I expected thx. to CTD. The stiffer compression settings stiffen the frame like a firm xc bike, and if it needs to open, factory blow-off setting is near perfect under climbing conditions.
Nowadays, there are more good AM bikes than there are bad ones. There is something for everyone. But it's all preference, style, experience. 27.5 is taking over, but if you like Specialized, and love all the fun and challenge 26 inch has to offer, once dialed, the performance of the enduro comp won't disappoint.

Submitted by Tony Richmond a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs, Decends!!!! And tackles anything in its way with ease.

Weaknesses:    None well go on then maybe an X0 mech would be nice ha ha.

Bottom Line:
I just came from a scott ransom 20 which was a lard, i only came to realise that now im riding the Enduro. The scott will tackle anything but is just a hang on and point sort of bike with the Enduro your in charge its so flickable and chuckable and any more words you can think of with able at the end!!. I put on some wider bars, some bigger pedals and i was off enjoyment throughout the ride, ups and downs!!
I had a specialized stumpjumper s works a couple of years ago and a demo 8 mk2 downhill bike so i have a soft spot for specialized its fair to say but they just work so well and fit like a glove. The enduro with its 160mm travel andits well pretty decent componentry to be fair on the comp is pretty good still upgradable but not bottom line.
If your finding it hard for choice on bikes just dive in and get an enduro you will love it!!.

Favorite Trail:   Innerleithen Mattador

Similar Products Used:   Specialized stumpjumper S Works, specialized demo 8 mk2.

Submitted by Sam McDonnell a Racer

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2013

Strengths:    Absolutely perfect. The ultimate All Mountain / Freeride machine, climbs to the top like a Stumpjumper, then shreds the DH runs like a Status. (excuse my favouratism towards Specialized). I have had mine for just under a month and have spent that time traveling NZ with it. I have ridden singletrack, National Downhill trails and Dirt Jumps and it takes it all in its stride.

Weaknesses:    None for me personally, but if you are a X-Country rider the Lyric fork is a little too plush for XC riding.

Bottom Line:
Would recommend this to anyone looking to lean towards the Enduro, Freeride or Downhill scenes, not ideal for XC riding. Would look nice with some Gold Fox forks, but at the end of the day functionality is what matters and the Lyric fork is perfect. Very impressed Specialized!

Favorite Trail:   Fuzz Mt Hutt DH

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   Kaimai Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Giant Reign, Merida 140, Giant Glory, Commencal, Giant Reign SX

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Lyric, Fox Float RP2, Nukeproof pedals

Submitted by ihaveagibsonsg a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2012

Strengths:    Everything. This bike does EVERYTHING and then it does EVERYTHING amazing. It's just the best

Weaknesses:    Doesn't get hipster cred for having 29er or 650b and the new cool 666z wheels.

Bottom Line:
I've done a full circle in the biking community. Started on a 26" hard tail, to a 26" FS xc bike, to a FS 29er, to a SS 29er, to an ENDURO, to a FS 6" travel 650b bike, and back to nearly every AM frame in the business before I went back to an ENDURO. I've ridden nearly every bike out there, all 3 wheel sizes and almost every 150-160mm frame out there. Out of all the bikes, the enduro stuck out to me. I found myself missing the enduro on every ride. Forget nomads, reigns, coverts, pivot firebirds, ibis hd's, knolly chilcotins, turners, ellsworth, remedy, slash ect. I've ridden them all and they do not compare to the enduro. I was hesitant to re-purchase an enduro because I love to root for the underdog and the small business owner, but the walmart of bikes got it right on this one.

It pedals uphill like an xc bike and shred's downhill like you wouldn't believe! This bike is so stable at speed, unless you're sam hill, you will never be limited by the potential of this bike. It has a wide wheelbase by the geometry is PERFECT and it handles great, but its not twitchy and it encourages you to rail corners and flatten hikers. It's unbelievably plush and has a great comfortable riding position. It can be used for freeride and I've done 6ft flat landers on it with the proper PSI in the air suspension. It's also one of the most versatile frames out there. The ISCG5 tabs accept any kind of crankset, even the awesome hammerschmidt which I ran on my original enduro with no issues. It can accept a coil shock as well if you buy the EVO linkage.

The comp may be the "base" model but there's nothing base about it. I changed the fork out for a 2013 talas RC2 so I can adjust the travel for the long climbs, but the lyrik is a FAR superior fork when the mountain goes down. It may not come with an adjustable seatpost, but I put the giant contact switch on mine for $200 and its great. The RP2 is all you need for a bike like this. The propedal works for climbing and it's sucked on some of the other bikes I've ridden but it's actually a great shock on this frame. I can only imagine a pushed version of the RP2 would be even better. The avid CR brakes are great and the 203 rotors bite hard! The only upgrade I'm debating on changing even though not mandatory is adding a hammerschmidt crankset. The hammerschmidt is AWESOME! For a couple bucks you can make this bike an top of the line AM rig.

This bike is for connoisseurs searching for the closest thing to perfection. It's only limits are the person riding it and the excuses they have. I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   UC Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Nomad, Butcher, Slayer, Jamis XAM, Pivot Firebird, Yeti SB-66, Ellsworth Truth, Knolly Chilcotin, Canfield Theone, Reign/Reign X, GT Sanction, Remedy, Slash, Ibis Mojo HD, Transition Covert.

Bike Setup:   2011, X9 components all around, Avid CR brakes, 2013 Fox talas fork, Giant contact switch adjustable seatpost.

Submitted by nicoswit a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2012

Strengths:    Great bike to ride, this review is for the Enduro comp 2011. I come fron a Specialized FSR XC, and the Enduro definately pedals up way better than the xc bike despite it's 160mm travel fork, would not hesitate to recomend this bike as an all rounder all mountain bike, have used it on 60 km rides with other xc guys and this bike handles great, not to mention this bikes downhill capabilities! This is what this bike is really made for but wouldnt discard its peddaling capabilities.

Weaknesses:    The hubs are crap! Replaced them with some flow rims on hope hubs and what a difference! But aside this the bike is a real monster! The lyrik R fork may have some brake dive, I got used to this but theres always the chance to upgrade to the DH Damper!

Bottom Line:
Great bike! Pedals real well for a bike that handles the downhills so good!

Duration Product Used:   2 yeas

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR Xc comp

Submitted by Colin sanderson

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2012

Strengths:    The whole bike, bought mine 18 months ago just love it second full suspension bike wanted more travel for rougher terrain at speed and it doesn't disappoint, it climbs well for its size and is lighter than it looks. I rode the tour de Ben Nevis on it this year 44 mile point to point race came in 78th out of 360 and I would have said it was one of the biggest bikes there so riding it all day is no problem point it down hill and it really Does come into its own it gives you loads of confidence needs a dropper post though

Weaknesses:    You need to upgrade the wheels you feel the back end squirming around at speed in turns' I put hope hubs mavic rims on mine improved it loads (on a budget 300 quid )

Bottom Line:
If you want a do it all bike that you can really let rip on this bike will take some beating love the look of the 2013 model and its quite a bit lighter

Submitted by 666Shifty a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2012

Strengths:    This bike rides downhill better than any other bike in this range. I have been riding quite a few downhill bikes and the back end of Enduro works better than half of them, you really dont need coil shock (rp2 is build for this bike). I have rode mine this year 30 days in bike parks (including Megavalanche) and it is still working like a charm.

Weaknesses:    I have 2011 model that has QR at the back and it could be a little bit stiffer, new ones have 142+ axle so that is not a problem.
Maybe the it is not the quickes bike on pedaling or flat stuff, but it is not meant to be. It is build for fireroads to the top and then blasting on the downhill track.
If you have luck than Elixir brakes works with no problems, but many of us had to raplace them.
RockShock Lyrik has only rebound setting, but I think you dont need anything else.

Bottom Line:
One of the best enduro/all mountain bikes out there. If you like downhill sections than this is the bike for you. You can use It in bike parks and It will suprise you how good it is. The only thing that you need to change for bikepark are the rims, stock rims are to soft for downhill abuse.

Favorite Trail:   Megavalnache qulifying

Purchased At:   Factory store

Similar Products Used:   Enduro EVO, Commencal Meta 6, Santa Cruz Nomad carbon, Specialized Pitch....

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduo Comp 2011 with DH cartrige instaled in Lyrik, KS dropzone seatpost, stronger wheelset for bikeparks, wider bar and shorter steam (50mm).

Submitted by zvika a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2012

Strengths:    verry manuverable with obstacles. light weight easy to carry in the car trunk, very stable on downhill slops and loose stones trails.great bikes for desent price.

Weaknesses:    pedals are a little bit too close to the ground.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding mountain bikes for about 25 years (all double suspantion) and with this model I enjoy the most.

Favorite Trail:   single tracks

Duration Product Used:   1.5 years

Purchased At:   importer

Bike Setup:   original. as is.

Submitted by Skanskeeny

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2012

Strengths:    Roll downhill lines with confidence- the steeper the better, burley bike that handles abuse well, climbs well.

Weaknesses:    Pushes the rider's weight over the forks if the downhill isn't pretty extrem-o. Of course climbing is limited to a degree

Bottom Line:
This was a move-up ride for me, and it stepped up my game by a few notches. A 35 mile all day ride with all types of terrain is now FUN! I have no doubt there are other bikes that can be set up to do better, but this bike is fun as is and inspires confidence. They are relatively common, which means there is a Spesh dealer close by, and your backed by warranties, good R&D, and surrounded by other riders with the same bike who have figured out the major upgrades.
You can pretty much ride this bike like you stole it, put it away wet, and crush your next ride without any concerns. I like the way the Enduro handles the techy downhill lines and steep climbs on the Colorado front range. It is a nice mix. As for the little bit of lost prowess of uphill ability, I believe you can make up for this with physical prowess (easier than you can make up for lack of bike ability on the DH lines).
So, to sum it up: this bike does exactly what all these reviewers say it does. Now leave your cubicle, fork over some cash to your LBS and begin to wallow in the pain and elation of uphill, now downhill, more uphill, then some downhill. Repeat.

Submitted by joek9999 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2012

Strengths:    Weight versus capability. Swiss army style rig. One to do it all.

Weaknesses:    Front fork has limited adjustment knobs (1)
Rear shock would be better w/lock out

Bottom Line:
Weight versus capability. Its a great balance with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   THC

Similar Products Used:   2007, 2008 SJ FSR, Yeti 575, Yeti 7, Scott Genius LT, Santa Cruz Blur, Intense Spider, Maverick,etc.

Bike Setup:   XL frame
Easton 711 Monkeylite DH bars
Tubeless Conversion
Syncros 35 mm stem
X-9 Cassette Red
Salsa Red Skewer

Submitted by sk8dad

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2012

Strengths:    Climbs as good as my 4" 2004 stumpjumper. Wide grins on the descent. Buttery rear travel with negligible bob when seated. Long wheel base is great for high speed stability as it the slack head angle. Feels very responsive when on the trails.

Weaknesses:    Not a weight weenie contender, but hey it's a 6" AM build. Long and slack not so great on switchbacks.

Bottom Line:
Just got a blazing deal off a local bike swap...paid about 60% off retail!

The 2010 frame is setup with Xfusion Vector shock, Vengence HLR fork, Hammerschmidt AM, and three position 100mm Command Post.

Had a few rides already at the local trails. Here's are my impressions. I'll compare my experiences against a 2004 Stumpjumper FSR. I do acknowledge that it's an older geometry, but that's all I can really compare against. Also, this is my first long travel bike, so bear with me. BTW, I've only tried the new stumpy in the parking lot, so no comparative data there.

WEIGHT:
It's quite a bit heavier than my 2004 4" Stumpjumper. This is readily apparent when climbing in the saddle. Interestingly, when out of saddle, it doesn't feel that much heavier. Maybe I got better recently or maybe the stable geometry, but I can bunny hop just as high as 4 pound heavier Enduro as my Stumpy. Weird. Anyway, moving along on the trail, it's surprisingly flickable. The only time when the weight is really annoy is when loading/unloading the bike.

CLIMBING:
The slack angle definitely feels more downhilly. On climbs, I get the sense I'm pushing the wheel through the trail instead of rolling over it visually. In checking my GPS stats later, it doesn't seem to have caused any noticeable slow down...again, perhaps I've gotten better since last I logged data. Interestingly, because of the long wheelbase, the bike doesn't have the tendency to wheelie when climbing at the limit in saddle...and that's with a 55mm stem to boot. By contrast, my 100mm stumpy with a 90mm stem still wanted to wheelie. The enduro does however want to wander the front end in steep ups when seated. I also found that the longer wheelbase did help with out of saddle weight adjustment. The sweet spot between wheelie and loss of rear grip is much bigger than my old stumpy. The 6" travel does bounce significantly out of saddle. I've started to modify my pedaling stroke to compensate, but suspect this is where the lockout in the rear would help. Unfortunately, mine was set up more for going down than up, so no lockout on the rear. Where the long wheelbase and slack head angle is a bit more of an issue is in tight switchbacks in steep baby-head-strewn trails. This, I believe, can be overcomed by more skill and experience though...and/or adjustable travel fork.

DESCENT:
Woo hoo! Very compliant suspension keeping the rubber on the dirt. The bike goes exactly where you point the bars. There's no tentativeness as with the old stumpy on the steep descents. With the slack angle, I can pick up the front end pretty much effortlessly when hoping around wheel catcher ruts or last minute decisions to do a wheelie drop off instead of rolling a ledge--even on the brakes. As far as rolling off ledges, 1 to 1.5 footers feel like rolling a curb--as long as you clear your chainrings. In my case, with the Hammerschmidt, I've yet to make contact with the drive train coming off a ledge that I'm comfortable with. Dropping off a picnic table is pretty uneventful. The bike just drops, absorbs, and keeps on moving. At speed I can now roll through features whereas I had to bunny hop previously. Only thing to watch which is probably true of all other long travel bikes is to be aware of crank position when descending. I briefly caught a pedal a few times pedaling through on the downhill. The 100mm command post when dropped all the way down is enough to make the seat disappear in full attack position.

JUMPING:
I haven't had a chance to take it on any kind of real jumps yet, but small dirt kickers seem promising and plenty forgiving. I've over rotated and landed on the front end a few times, and the slack 6" front end just took it without complaint or drama. On the stumpy I would've surely scropioned. Still trying to get used to the timing. The preload to take off timing is slower than I'm used to. I'm not looking to clear 20 foot doubles or manual through a dozen whoopadies, but sometimes the need to launch is useful on the trail. Will post after I've taken the bike through more of those kinds of paces.

Submitted by championp a Weekend Warrior from Clinton, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2011

Strengths:    lot's of travel, good brakes, and excellent shifting.

Weaknesses:    Slow climbing makes you fight the front wheel

Bottom Line:
This bike rules on the trails. Best mountain bike I've ever ridden. The rear brake vibrated like crazy for the first 60 days, but went away on it's own and is nice and quiet now and stops and slows really well. Descends like riding a magic carpet on a roller coaster. The rear shock never seems to bottom out, and the lyrik solo air is the same. I found myself having a hard time climbing slow (to rest and conserve energy) because of the slack head angle of 66 degrees. I had my local bike shop install a 2 step air spring in the same fork and in the lowered setting it has 68 degrees head angle and is easier to creep uphill. The 2step mod doesn't work perfect but it does work. It essentially makes the lyrik a 125/155mm fork. The drivetrain work flawlessly! I haven't missed a shift all year and it shifts instantly and precisely. I really like 2 chainrings over 3. The seatpost was also a good upgrade for the trails I ride. This is one bike that can ride anything. I like having the propedal, seatpost, and fork with climbing modes, and then downhill mode I couldn't ask for more. It gets five chili's on value. I got the 2010 at a closeout price. 4 out of 5 chilis overall because it should come stock with a dropper post for this kind of bike.

Favorite Trail:   all of em

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Bingham's

Similar Products Used:   nothing similar in my past

Bike Setup:   crank bros acid and platform pedals, blacklite post, tubeless conversion, and switched from solo air to 2step air spring.

Submitted by ErikHo a Cross Country Rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2011

Strengths:    Geo, light, stiff, seems durable, components all good...

Weaknesses:    Cablerouting, mudclearence rear, no anodized finish, no standard shockstroke/lenght..

Bottom Line:
Very fun bike to ride, confidenceinspiring on jumps.
Good lowspeedhandling, agile, good climber, almost perfect then.

Improvements: above+ boostvalveshock and a more centered mainpivotplacement would cure the rest of the pedalbob(which isnt that much actually).

Favorite Trail:   Syterbäcken

Purchased At:   specialized

Similar Products Used:   Reign/Reign x, meta5, nerve am

Bike Setup:   singlering, dropperpost, bigger reartire, saint/xt otw std.

Submitted by Threesixtwofiveone a Weekend Warrior from British Columbia, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2011

Strengths:    Dialed Geometry
Fox Float 32 RL (150mm)
Avid R SL brakes
Solid out of box feel
Climbs extremely well
Great seat
Impeccable drivetrain, even for the cost
Descends like a mother

Weaknesses:    Squeaky Linkage
Cable Routing (not so good)
2 Faulty Specialized AFR rear shocks (great dealership service though)

Bottom Line:
This is my first full suspension bike and its a blast to ride!
After the first 3 days of riding it though, the rear linkage started to creak, short story is that I took it to 2 different shops, first the one that was closer then to my dealer and after 4 times in and out of the shop it was fixed (kinda). Also the rear shock failed twice, both times there was no decrease in performance, they were just making squeaking noises and excess air noises. Needless to say I was fed up with the whole AFR shock thing, so I ordered a 2012 Kashima coat Fox rp23, fantastic shock, the pro pedal on and off switch is dialed.

Now for the good:
1. The bike is extremely composed on the downhill, the geometry is absolutely perfect (for me), everyone has their own preference but this is a well balanced bike. The new enduros have slacker geo but this year/ model is plenty fine for descending.
2. Fox Float 32 RL. Extremely light and great bump compliance makes the front end the star of this bike. Thank god I didn't buy an enduro with one of those Specialized E series forks on it, this fox fork is great. It also has a 15mm axle, witch provides stability.
3. Avid Elixer R SL brakes, not the all out braking power that an xtr set up will give you, but you gain all that back in modulation, sweet sweet modulation, top notch, has saved my proverbial bacon many times.
4. Drivetrain, you do NOT need expensive XX or XTR stuff for your bike to enjoy reliable and responsive shifting. This is set up with X-9 rear, and X-7 shifters, haven't had to adjust them in 6 months and never had a gear slip, crisp shifts and quiet system all together.

The no so good.
1. While the Fox fork up front is a great fork, it needs a little more stability, something like a Float 36 would be nice. I am not saying this because I abuse the thing, Im just saying that a 6 and 6 bike will generally be thrown off some small drops and pushed through some rocky stuff and you can feel the slight flex in the front end. Not enough to spoil the bike.
2. AFR rear shock is unreliable and you can get two identical shocks with different feeling tuning. The first was stiff and did not pick up trail chatter, second was softer but squeaky.
3. Cable routing is horrendous. So many other bike companies have figured it out. The cables rubbed against the front fork and headset and dug holes in them before I put clear laminate tape on them. Also on the rear swing arm where the hydro cable wraps around the arm underneath (where by the way you cannot see unless lifting or turning the bike over) it rubbed a substantial amount of precious M5 aluminum off the frame, kinda pissed about that, covered it up with the same tape.

Conclusion, if you happen to come across one of these bikes, left over on clearence or well maintained and not abused, they are a great buy! If you are looking to get away from a cross country bike or want something that will eat up all the single track you can feed it this is your bike. If you are a really big guy or girl or want to throw something off a huge drop, this is not for you. Will not dissapoint! Pro's far out weigh the cons. Cheers!

Favorite Trail:   Seven Summits