Specialized Camber All Mountain Full Suspension

4.56/5 (18 Reviews)

A no-nonsense trail bike with just the right amount of active, independent FSR travel for everything from singletrack to bomber descents.

• 120mm-travel M4 alloy FSR frame with new suspension design and sealed cartridge bearing pivots for confident handling and smooth trail performance
  • RockShox Ario RL rear shock with adjustable rebound and lockout for steady climbs and plush, controlled descents
  • Responsive, yet stable RockShox Recon Silver TK air-sprung fork with 120mm of travel uses external adjustable rebound, Turn Key damping, and lockout for fine-tuned bump performance
  • Oversized, 3D-forged, adjustable-rise alloy stem with 4-bolt clamp for extra strength and versatility
  • Tektro Draco hydraulic disc brakes/levers with Light Wave rotors create increased control and superior stopping power for more confident descents
  • Solid, dependable Shimano SLX Shadow rear derailleur delivers trouble-free shifting and takes it easy on the wallet

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Sean82

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2013

Strengths:    Handling, ride comfort, gears, geometry, suspension

Weaknesses:    Brakes

Bottom Line:
    I bought a 2012 run out model about 6 months ago as a means of getting back into MTBing. I was unsure exactly what to get, all mountain or XC, but I was pointed in the direction of the Camber as a mid-point between the two. I'm so glad I did!
    It climbs well (even though the engine is a little worse for wear), descends fast and true. There's minimal clatter and crash from components as you navigate rubble, etc.
    The handle-bars could possible do with being 20-30 mm narrower to navigate more enclosed trails (came with 720mm wide), but this would make the bike slightly twitchier.
    The cockpit is really comfortable for me. I can spend hours on the bike without a sore back, neck, hands, etc.

My biggest upset with this bike is the Avid Elixcer 5.5 brakes. They started off well, but travel in the rear lever has always been too much for good modulation and power; despite sending back to the shop for draining and fluid refill/bleeding twice. On a 4.5 hr ride recently (3 ascents, 4 descents), I completely "lost" the rear brake. Lever had no "restriction" in it indicating it wasn't working well at all. And it didn't. I had my new LBS check it out and they said I could try for another bleed/refill, but it's likely the piston and/or master cylinder is/are shot. So I've ordered some 2013 Shimano Deore XTs to go on. This upgrade should have my Camber back to full operability ;-)

I have ridden with people with 150mm travel and it's only ever been my ability that stops me keeping up on descents. I've also ridden with people on XC bikes on XC tracks and never been left wanting.
    This bike is so much fun to ride on almost any terrain

The Rock Shox Reba fork and Fox RP23 shock work well in tandem; rarely do I use the fork lockout, but often will switch to Pro-Pedal or 'Lockout' settings on the shock to make climbing easier. The three shock settings (Open, Pro-pedla and 'Lockout') work very well, although I wish the 'Lock-out' position was a positive click like the other two, not just having the lever/switch in the general area to lockout. Other than this, works really well!

This bike provides the perfect middle ground in Specialized's line up between the XC Epic and the "tougher" Stumpjumper FSR, and the Camber should definitely be considered if you're looking at either of these two

Submitted by tg a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2013

Strengths:    my first full sus, great bike, handles well on the trail and travels well over everything ive thrown it at. replaced the brakes with some avid xx but only because they were at the right price (mates rates) travel of 120 front and rear just enough without being OTT for me and all for a cut price £999

Weaknesses:    at the price i paid new, none!!!

Bottom Line:
    great bike and happy to say i feel i made the right choice for a first time full sus

Favorite Trail:   llandegla (wales)

Duration Product Used:   12-16 months

Purchased At:   leisure lakes

Submitted by Hophead1

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2013

Strengths:    Nice spec at the price point.
    Solid frame
    nice 120mm travel
    Not heavy for a FS

Weaknesses:    I suppose the low end shifters could be better.
    Elixir 3's get the job done but I like shimano slx better
    Suspension is a little noisy

Bottom Line:
    Great bike for trail/xc. I wouldn't call it an all mountain machine with 70 degree hta but i've ridden in the mountains without problems. This bike definitely fees solid in the frame and suspension. Nothing feels cheap or tinny. I have a large and like the seat and the long stem and shimano drivetrain, I'm 6', 32 inseam. Very good bike in tight twisty stuff, very maneuverable. I can really carve on the flowy sections. tires have worked perfect for me. no complaints. Had to have wheels trued at 5 months but i hit a lot of tech obstacles and i'm 215. Probably routine for any bike anyway. I've read a couple, not many, but a couple of reviews that found it sluggish at times. It should be noted that using the specialized sag recommendations makes the bike soft but effects pedal efficiency when the suspension is wide open. I prefer it firmer on the back shock and that definitely takes care of the issue. Also the tires have a very tall sidewall. bag 'em down and tire squirm will slow you. I keep them a little firm and they grab nicely in the corners and roll fast.

Submitted by Edgardo Ric Fernandez

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2013

Strengths:    the 29er took me a while to ride in Alva FL.first time on 29er&full suspension once i did the wheels just grab &rolled you have to i think learn this cool bike.Started with 2012 Specialized Hardrock 26in tires great entry level bike.The camber fits great,im 6FT i feel so balanced on bike but still have to steer the 29ers better to not clip out.

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy buy can change some things

Bottom Line:
    I think anyone who wants to upgrade and not break the bank the camber is a awesome bike im 51yrs old,young or older this is a Great Ride.

Submitted by Caspian a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2012

Strengths:    very versatile..

Weaknesses:    some people say the braking system is weak;but i dont think it is.it performs very well for me.frame is a little bit heavy.of course,what do we expect for a $1800 bike,the frame is not carbon & parts are not high-end.i'm planning to upgrade a good quality hydraulic seatpost pretty soon.

Bottom Line:
    So far so good.i'm in love with my camber.it handles very well.if you're just a cross country rider or an all mountain rider once in a while.this a good bike in its price range.climbs like a hard-tail & very reliable on a rocky downhill.if you're looking DH bike,this is not the right one.go look for something else.

Favorite Trail:   Annadel/Santa Rosa,Ca.

Purchased At:   Mike's Bike

Submitted by Nathan Samora a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight and pliable. This bike flies into the air and up there, it is really easy to control. The brakes work great, despite people complaining about Tektro. It climbs very well.

Weaknesses:    Front fork cannot be replaced with anything larger, which made me sad a little. The front fork doesn't rebound as strongly as I would like it to. I've had problems with the chain coming off, so a chain guard may be in store. Somehow my rear shock came undone once (the black cannister at the top is screwed in) and that left me with a bottomed out ride, but it was easily fixed at my bike shop. The seat also needs to be replaced; it's like it's made forXC racing.

Bottom Line:
    Overall a fun bike that handles big hits very well and is light enough to flow over rough sections. With skinny 2inch tires like it has, though, it doesn't hold into the trail all the time, so you have to be careful. I sure do love how fast you can move on it, though, and how great it jumps. I've never complained about its handling either. It is very whippy and tight around the bends. It isn't chopped out like all-mountain or downhill bikes, so depending on your preference, think what you will. I love this bike, but if I had to do it again, I might have just forked over the additional $$$ for an enduro. I think the stumpjumper fsr is still too similar to this to pay the extra cash.

Favorite Trail:   Camp Nelson, CA

Purchased At:   Action Sports

Similar Products Used:   Trance X4

Submitted by Rmpriley a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2012

Strengths:    This bike rocks for the value. The Shimano gear set XT, braking and smooth suspension with the rear Fox shock

Weaknesses:    Cannot find one yet....brakes may be too good

Bottom Line:
    I picked this bike up after looking at Stumpjumper and couldn't refuse how much bike you get for a lot less than a Stumpjumper. I have been riding this bike through hard trails all mountain and don't think I will reach its limits...great for all around and if you want to fly on the flats the pro-pedal Fox setting is awesome and if you really want versatility, lock front and back out and motor. I ride in pro-pedal almost full time and effortlessly fly over rocks roots and small drops while all the while maintaining pedalling efficiency. I like to ride as fast as possible and this bike serves it up. The shifters are awesome and the brakes can launch you as they are incredible. I am a good size guy at 6' and 200lbs and now the fastest guy in my gang against Norcos and Devincis and everybody is getting out of my way, uphill climbs, downhill, whatever and trying to figure out how to keep up. Highly recommend this bike....I grabbed a 2011 on a deal and couldn't be happier.

Favorite Trail:   Brant Tract, Canada

Duration Product Used:   2hr rides 4x per week

Price Paid:    $1995.00

Purchased At:   Specialized local de

Similar Products Used:   Giant

Bike Setup:   Pro-pedal suspension setting

Submitted by Bobby97 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2012

Strengths:    Uphill and XC

Weaknesses:    Some (bigger) downhill

Bottom Line:
    Great bike for the price and the components. Just an outstanding bike for XC and All Mtn riding. Great components XT rear deralliear SLX front.
    .The guy before me doesn't know what hes talking about its his first bike he"s rating it on what he knows about that bike he doesn't know much.

Favorite Trail:   Wilkesboro NC. OVT

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Lighting Cycles Cono

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Chris Carpenter a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2012

Strengths:    Nice set of componentry. Light and responsive feeling ride.

Weaknesses:    Handlebars feel a little wide for me.

Bottom Line:
    After test riding the Stumpjumper, Blurxc, & RZ 122, I was psyched to come across the 2011 Camber Pro. This med sized bike fit my 5'7" 140lb body perfectly. It can be hard to tell how a bike will perform based on a quick jaunt around the bike shop, but this one just felt "right". In fact, I kept bouncing back and forth between it and the Stumpjumper just to make sure. The Camber Pro simply spoke to me. We have a fair amount of single track out here in Grass Valley, CA. My Camber Pro has answered all of my requests these last few weeks. Finding this 2011 bike in 2012 saved me a grand too! Overall...extremely satisfied. I was seeking out a reasonably priced bike to ride a variety of terrain. I've been mt biking on and off for 30 years. I like tricky little climbing sections, and I am not a monster downhiller. Just looking to have fun, but now find myself having a blast!...especially when pointed downhill. Thank you Specialized design team. Great job!

Submitted by Carmelo

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2012

Strengths:    Styling, handling, FSR rear suspension.

Weaknesses:    Stock drivetrain but it's no big deal. Same with the brakes. Budget but they perform okay.

Bottom Line:
    I've had my Camber Comp for almost a year now. It's in charcoal and silver. The only upgrade I made was an all SLX drivetrain. I thought of getting different brakes but decided not to. The standard Tektro Dracos perform very well. I've been taking it to a local trail center on a regular basis since January of this year (2012). It's very stable but quick to change direction. The stock suspension parts work well enough for me. I've been taking the jumps there and I have no complaints with either the stock Recon fork or Ario shock. The FSR rear end seems soft initially but once underway, I don't notice any bobbing under power and try as I might, I have yet to bottom out the rear end. The Camber is great looking bike that is not all show and no go. The harder you push it, the happier it is. I am hoping for an entry level Camber 29 as my next purchase but I'm keeping my Camber Comp.

Submitted by 365Rider a Cross Country Rider from Alicante, Spain

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2012

Strengths:    Great new-generation full suspension bike with good value.
    Specialized guarantee (wich is quite good here in Spain). you are not restricted to anything with this bike. I do sunday XC races on it and I even do some (light) downhill routes with it. Good quality wheels aswell, not the lightest, but they stay true through a LOT of abuse (by abuse I mean hard riding, not bad maintenance). For me the perfect bike for the price. Off course there are better bikes, but this one has been giving me problemless, great FUN this year. Good rear shock (Fox), important to get the air pressure/rebound right.

Weaknesses:    non-tapered headtube.
    Needed to change cranck bearings after a year, but my mechanic said it was not exceptional for the abuse it 's been trough :-))

Bottom Line:
    Great bike, would recommand it to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   El Matet

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Chrono Bike Altea

Similar Products Used:   Orbea Sate

Bike Setup:   Tires: F= Spesh Ground Control 2.1, R= Maxxis Larssen TT 2.0
    Command Post seat dropper (BEST upgrade)
    I will be upgrading the wheels this year for (probably) some mavic's tubeless. But only to be able to mount tubeless ...

Submitted by eerieclown a Cross Country Rider from winchester, california, usa

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2011

Strengths:    the drivetrain, the suspension, the brakes, the wheels (still true like the day I bought it).

Weaknesses:    ground clearance from the bottom bracket, i've scraped up my cranks alot and I bash my large cog often (but who uses the large cog anyways).

Both tires are 2.0". The tires grip and corner great, but I believe at least with a 2.1 in the front, it could be even better.

Bottom Line:
    After entering into the lovely world of mtb early this summer with my $600 full suspension diamondback, I decided that I loved mtb so much that I'm willing to drop some serious cash. The price I paid is beyond fair considering the msrp was 2200.

This specialized camber expert takes me up much faster, I go downhill with confidence. The suspension is butter. Braking is easily managed with 1 finger (after they break in). The shimano drivetrain is my favorite park of the bike, the 10 speed really makes a difference, and I love how you can thumb push or index pull to shift.

I ride 3-4 times a week consisting of mostly single track and technical fire roads/double track. I prefer a softer suspension and went about 20 psi lower than the recommended pressure. I weigh 145 and am 5'11'. I do small 1-2 ft. jumps.

I was looking for the best "bang for your buck" bike that I could find in the $1500 range and I couldn't find anything that came close to the specs of this camber expert.

Favorite Trail:   local "secret" trails

Purchased At:   cyclery usa in river