Sinister Bikes Gruitr All Mountain Full Suspension

• 27.2 mm seat post
  • 7 lbs with a Fox Float R

Submitted by chober a Downhiller from Pasadena, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2009

Strengths:    Short Stays makes it very nimble, & Loads of fun, 1 pivot easy to maintain, Well built

Weaknesses:    Short stays makes it a little squirrely on wide open DH,

Bottom Line:
I came off of a small Transition BR which was a bit on the heavy side and I was looking for a bit longer TT for more all around riding. The bike is super fun and great going down on tighter trails. If you want to run a tire bigger than 2.35, you're gonna need to get the SLX dual ring derailleur. Works awesome and gives enough clearance to run a Maxxis 2.5

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon

Similar Products Used:   Transition BR, Foes FXR, Transition Preston,

Bike Setup:   7.875x2.25 CCDB, 09 Saint Brakes w/ Goodridge lines, 09 Saint Rear Derail, 09 Saint Cranks, SDG I Beam post, SDG Fly saddle, Sunline V1 Bar, SLX Dual Ring Front Derail

Submitted by maskrider a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2009

Strengths:    Tough and solid frame. The raw finish gives it attitude. Good geometry.

Weaknesses:    None I could think of....

Bottom Line:
It gives me a great time whenever, wherever I ride. Be it on climbs, on decents, light DH, moderate jumps, singletracks, drop ins... It's not light like the S-works Stumpjumer I had but it's definately much more stable during decents and climbs. Better control than the S-works due to it's stability, and I do stuffs on it that I do not dare try on the S-works like 4 feet drops, railing on a wall ride, getting some air at the stall walls... basically going crazy and having a good time. That's what it's all about! It very confidence inspiring and I am comtemplating on getting a the same frame with a Fox 36 Vanilla and a DHX coil rear shock with mayabe more DH/FR oriented components for just some mini DH and FR activities... if my wife approves of the budget...

Favorite Trail:   As long as it's rideable it's good by me.

Purchased At:   Sinister

Similar Products Used:   Sinister Splinter, S-works 2005 Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Chirs King headset and ISO hubs, Saint 2008 brakes, Sram X9 shifters + Rear-D. XTR front-D. Thomson 50mm stem, nukeproof seatpost, Fizik Gobi saddle, Hope seat clamp, Odi grips, Mavic 721 rims, E-13 DRS, Pilo bash guard, 2008 XT crank 34/22T with Shimano DX pedals, XT cogset, Fox 2009 26 Talas RC-2. Panaracer Rampage 2.35 tyres, Fox RP 23 rear shock,

Submitted by Jim Mac a Downhiller from Albany, NY

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2009

Strengths:    Short chain stays = excellent acceleration. Solid but not overbuilt. Versatile frame - it can be set up for a variety of uses. Simple single pivot = not a ton of maintenance needed.

Weaknesses:    Back tire rubs if you go over 2.3. More of a lover than a climber, but it does the job. With a different setup than mine, you could create a lighter, more climbing friendly version!

Bottom Line:
I wanted a bike that could excel in several areas and I got it! While I have mostly ridden trails with it, I also did a Super D race and some dirt jumping. The bike felt at home with all of it. Great bike for techy trails, very confidence inspiring.

Favorite Trail:   SMBA trails, Platty, Lenox, MA.

Purchased At:   Sinister direct

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Switch and Pipeline.

Bike Setup:   Raw frame (to match my raw Sinister R9),Marzocchi 160 mm 20 mm air fork, 2.25 stroke Fox RP23 rear shock, Atomlab wheels, Thomson 50 mm stem, Thomson post, WTB rocket V saddle, Maxxis 2.5 Minion 3C Front tire & 2.3 Highroller rear, SRAM X9 der & X7 shifter, Howitzer 170 mm cranks and external BB, E13 32 Special chain guide& E13 32 T chainring, SRAM 11-34 cassette, Avid Juicy brakes - 185 mm front and 160 rear, ODI Oury lock on grips and end caps, Hussefelt bar.

Submitted by Demo-9 a Downhiller from Cranston, Rhode Island

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2009

Strengths:    The frame weight with an air shock is super light. I came off of a Bottlerocket and wanted something more pedal friendly and a few pouns lighter. This frame delivers that and so much more. It is the most stable 6" bike I have ever owned.

Weaknesses:    I have yet to find a weakness. The only thing worth mentioning is you need a 2.5" tire or smaller in the back to run in the 5.5" setting or it hit the seat tube. But that is all.

Bottom Line:
As mentioned I was coming off of a Bottlerocket so I had big shoes to fill. Boy does it do that and more.

First off is weight. The bike feels nimble, maneuverable and very pedalable. Second is geometry. The slightly shorter stays and longer tt is exactly what I was looking for. Third is that the bike climbs very well. Decending the wheels stick to the ground and the suspension soaks up everything. I had it in the 5.5" setting to start with. Similar to the BR, it feels like more travel. All in all the bike is exactly what I was hoping it would be. The frame is a little flexier than the BR, but that was expected. By no means is over flexy or even flexy really. Just slightly more than the BR.

The weld and build quality is just what you would expect from Frank the Welder. The geometry is amazing and it truly can handle any type of riding. With the u-turn Lyric I can drop it down and move to the 5" setting on the back (using a 2.25" shock) and hit the SS course and XC stuff. Then raise it up front and back and hit some big stuff. Simply amazing.

All in all I am totally stoked to have it. I can throw on some single ply tires and go for a XC ride no problem. I have riddent the bike at Highland (similar to RUFUSDESIGN) and the bike just excels there.

Favorite Trail:   Lincoln Woods or Nam

Purchased At:   Direct from BTF95 (S

Similar Products Used:   TBC Bottlerocket, Gran Mal and Dirtbag. Specialized Demo.

Bike Setup:   08’ Medium in raw, RockShox Lyric U-turn coil, 08’ Fox RP32 2.25”, Profile MTB/Ti cassette rear hub laced to Mavic 721, black alloy nips, Profile MTB front hub laced to Mavic 721, black alloy nips. Avid Juicy Carbons 6”, Hone cranks, LG-1 Chain guide,Thomson stem, Thomson post
Truvativ Hussefelt bar, King headset, XTR rear derailleur
DHF/DHR 2.5” tires, Wellgo MG-1 pedals, 8-speed gripshift
8-speed 11-28 XT cassette, WTB Devo saddle, Salsa seat post clamp

Submitted by rufusdesign a Downhiller from Burlington, VT 05403

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2009

Strengths:    Confidence building, very strong, damn near bomb proof, if you can break this bike I will buy you a beer. One of the sickest 6" all mountain frame on the market today. Climbs like a mountain goat and downhills like sunday. SUper smooth riding, light, etc. Anything that you can say good about a frame, the gruitr is it.

Weaknesses:    Nothing, Seriously. Built by the legendary Frank the Welder. No BS build with every detail scrutinized. The ISCG mount is my favorite piece of the frame. If you need one use it, if not take it off.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that this is the greatest 5-6" all mountain frame that you can buy period. You would be an idiot to not buy this frame. I rode this bike in the setup above for 20-30 miles of single track and cross country riding, freeriding at Killington and Highland Mountain, used it as a commuter with the suspension locked out, dual slalom raced it, etc.
It is a do all frame and a damn good one at that.
I am not lying or trying to pad Sinister's already stellar reputation, it is what is is advertised as.
I have yet to meet one person who has ridden/owned a gruitr that has said that they don't like it.
I would race this frame at the Sea Otter Classic in a minute or any other mellower DH trail. It rode just as good as my R9 in the 30's series of trails at Killington and absolutely tore up all Of Bromont.
Buy the frame, you will not be disappointed.
Let me be the first to say, Welcome to the Sinister family!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   30,31,32 @ Killington/ 7 @ Bromont