Sette Flite All Mountain Full Suspension

4.3/5 (20 Reviews)
Weight : 8 lbs

The Sette Flight is the newest member in the line up of Sette all terrain mountain bikes. Built to suit the needs of the of today’s all mountain rider, the Flight will give you unlimited access to the entire mountain, whether you are bombing down your favorite single track, or pushing the boundaries on an epic cross country ride, the Flight will take you as far as you are willing to go. The Flight is a very capable all mountain trail bike that is light enough to be ridden cross country. Built using butted 6061 series aluminum tubing the Flight features a reinforced head tube and seat tube along with CNC dropouts. The heart of this bike lies with in its trail proven Rocker Link suspension set up, known for being able to soak up any type of obstacle the trail can dish out, it features sealed cartridge bearing pivot points and an adjustable travel option that allows riders to choose between four, five and six inches of travel, making the Flight one of the most versatile bikes on the trail.

Submitted by danlafran a Cross Country Rider from Worcester, MA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2010

Strengths:    Great price for good frame. Climbs, flys, descends and navigates slow techy stuff really well.

Weaknesses:    Rocker link is flexy (rear end sloppy), Shock blows out within a season (over sprung out of the box), Frame is has poor welding quality (I cracked the frame in two places within 2 seasons due to fatigue)

Bottom Line:
Positives:
1) Great frame for the price.
2) They nailed the geometry, it is comfy in both the air and in slow rock gardens. It climbs fairly well once you either tune in the shock (different spring rate) or get a new one.
3)Descents with confidence so its a fun rig if you have it set up well.

Problems:
1) Unfortunately the top rocker link is SUPER flexy. If you do any drop over 4ft and land squirrely, the wheel will push directly into the rear derailler and blow up your drivetrain.
2) The quality is not there, I cracked directly next to the weld at the top of the headtube and top tube. I also cracked directly next to the weld for the bottom shock mount.
3) Out of the box, the rear shock sucks. Super over sprung. I replaced the spring with a lower spring rate, but the shock blew out on me within the first few months. (Not doing big drops/jumps. I tend to keep to smooth transfers if I can)Therefore, Definitely gauge for buying a new shock if you want to buy this frame.

Favorite Trail:   Leominster State Forest, FOMBA, Vietnam

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Ironhorse Yakuza, Giant NRS, Kona Stinky Five.

Bike Setup:   (XC-AM):Flite frame, Manitou Minute 140, Manitou ISX-6 shock, SRAM components, Hayes Nine brakes.
(DH): Ironhorse Yakuza, Boxxer Team, 5th Element Shock, Sram Components, Avid Code 5 brakes
(BMX): WeThePeople Thrillseeker
(MTB Street): Custom Frame, Manitou Sherman, Azonic Wheelset/Cranks.
(Trials): Planet X Jack Flash, Magura Hydraulic Rim brakes, Shimano/Rhyno lite wheels, Raceface Cranks, Shimano Componentry

Submitted by Thor a Cross Country Rider from Iceland

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2010

Strengths:    Nice looking strong build.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
NICE BIKE, I love it. Does what was intended for a novice rider at a good price.

Favorite Trail:   Reykjadalur http://www.fjallahjolaklubburinn.is/content/view/529/144/

Similar Products Used:   Trek, giant

Bike Setup:   soft on trails hard on street

Submitted by jim221823 a Cross Country Rider from Weymouth,MA. US

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2010

Strengths:    Frame is bombproof

Weaknesses:    Haven't found one yet

Bottom Line:
Just wanted to write a review on this bike to clear up the so called rear shock mount weakness. Let me just start off by saying I do alot of cross country riding but also do my fair share of pounding on the Sette Flite. Jumps,drops(over 5 feet and flats) and this frame can take a beating. I weigh about 200 and I would think if anyone would crack a weld on this frame I would. Definetly no weakness with this frame. However I did some research on the frame and it looked like Sette upgraded the lower rear shock weld when it started to come with the monarch shock (the first model came with the manitou swinger shock, wich is stock by the way). The lower rear shock mount to frame was very different. So it is possible that Sette did find some issue's with the first model flite frame's that came with the manitou swinger shock. So I would recommend if your interested in buying the Sette Flite I would stick with the newer model(the one that comes with the monarch shock).

Favorite Trail:   Highland Mountain Bike Park

Bike Setup:   Stock some minor upgrades

Submitted by Ciaran [again] a Downhiller from St. Helena, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2010

Strengths:    weight, color, versatility

Weaknesses:    shock mount welds

Bottom Line:
Okay, I posted a review of this frame two back, and that was in the first weeks of use.

Now after continuing to hit bigger doubles and a bit harder freeride, the welds cracked. They were fine while doing light freeride [which to be honest is what this frame is rated for] but once bigger stuff was being hit, 5 foot drops to flat/28 foot doubles, the weld on the top of the bottom shock mount cracked. So now I have an Iron Horse 7Point which feels better and is made for more.

Don't get me wrong, for AM and LIGHT fr this frame is great, with the adjustability ect., but for hard freeride and downhill it's just too risky.

Submitted by bmmoney a Weekend Warrior from OC, CA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2010

Strengths:    Heavy duty frame can take a pounding if you are bigger guy like me(200lbs). Components are high quality and can't be beat for $1200. The bike does great through rock gardens, rough terrain, eats it up. Very sturdy at high speeds on the downhill. Supgrisingly, the bike also clims really well althought it's 35lbs on a large with factory standard components.

Weaknesses:    Bike is heavy, no front or rear lockout on suspension. For the cost you still can't beat it and I am also a big guy at 200lbs so the extra weight is okay with me for an All Mountain Bike. If you are riding XC and doing a ton of climing, this bike is not for you. Good on short-medium climbs.

Bottom Line:
For an All Mountain bike under $1800 I don't think you can beat it in terms of sturdiness and component quality. I have put 35 miles on it on several different SO. Cal trails and this bike is versatile and can take a beating. I knew it would be fine on the downhill , but before I bought it I was really concerned about it's climbing ability given the weight and lack of lockout on shocks. But I was confidednt I made a good decision after my first climb because this bike clims fairly well. Just stiffen up the Domain 318s and pump up the rear shock to 20PSI more than your weight and it takes the uphills almost as well as the downhill. I would recommend this bike to anyone wanting an AM bike but has too limited of a budget to purchase a quality big name-Specialized, Yeti,Giant.

Favorite Trail:   Whitting Ranch

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   My previous bike was an XC so really none lke this. I tested the Yeti 575 and Specialized Pitch Pro- both at tice the price Both were awesome bikes and I really liked them but I decided I didn't want to spend over $1500 right now.

Bike Setup:   As shipped from Pricepoint- Sette Flite Frame, Fork- RockShox 318 Domain, Rear Suspension - Monarch 3.1, Avid Juicy 3s

Submitted by Ciaran Mauro a Weekend Warrior from St. Helena, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2010

Strengths:    Shock, Suspension System, Integrated Headset, Frame Reinforcement, Color

Weaknesses:    Possible reported weld failure at shock bottom-to-mainframe mounting bracket [covered under warranty]

Bottom Line:
I bought the frame used to replace my Santa Cruz Superlight frame because the 100mm was doing nothing for me. The previous owner only used it for a month and it had literally NO scratches or dings on it. Only light housing rub which came off with Iso-Alcohol.

The Adjustable travel is a great feature with mounting points for 4,5,and 6 inches in the rear and 4 pivot point swing arm so the rear wheel travel isn't towards the frame, like most, it's up. The bracing on the main stress points of the frame are nice and the FSA Integrated Headset is a dream. I love having an integrated headset, never having one before, and it is also great for the strength of the frame. The gloss white color is great and different then others and the shock that came with it must have been good, but oh boy. The Manitou Swinger 4-Way is a dream, though not stock with the frame. It has Compression, Rebound, Pre-Load, and Bottom out adjustment and came with a 300lb and 500lb coil for just an extra $15. The frame overall is smooth feeling and is light but can be HEAVY if built up accordingly. That is how mine is. I myself think that it would work best with a 140min 160max sized fork on it, because 180 or 200 would wreck the ride of an all mountain/fr frame. Hence the 55R installed on it.

Can't wait to get it out on the singletrack, recommend to anyone looking for this type of frame, and would definetely respect Sette in a search for another bike.

Favorite Trail:   4H; lower/upper, Rollercoaster, Any technical downhill singletrack

Purchased At:   craigslist.org

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky, Santa Cruz Bullit, Turner DHR, Santa Cruz Superlight,

Bike Setup:   08' Marzocchi 55R, Shimano Deore XT, Single Chainring, Manitou Swinger 4X Shock w/ 300lb coil and spare 500lb coil

Submitted by shaypop a Weekend Warrior from chula vista

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2010

Strengths:    well balanced, sturdy frame.

Weaknesses:    a little heavy

Bottom Line:
purchased frame after ellsworth distance snapped into on routine ride and wanted more than 2 year frame warranty. recently rode noble canyon on it. never felt more confident on a bike. the price for frame is reasonable. the warranty for this moderately priced frame is more than double the length of those manufacturers whose frames sell for 2500.00 or more. those who want value for their dollar and don't measure product quality by cost and name alone should give this frame a try. it is a tad heavier.....but this is all mountain

***submitted a similar, earlier review which was removed.

Favorite Trail:   4 palms

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   ellsworth

Bike Setup:   saint, lxr, xt, rock shoc, and fox components

Submitted by johnwaynewest a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte NC

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2010

Strengths:    Beefy frame, 6" travel front & rear is a bit of overkill for this area but nice to know I have it if I need it, for a long travel bike it climbs well

Weaknesses:    other than Monarch 3.1 being a little hard to adjust, none so far

Bottom Line:
Really not sure why there aren't more of these bikes around. I test road a Fuel EX8, and felt like it could break at any moment under my weight, about 205lbs. The Flite has never made me feel that way. The frame on this bike is solid, and after lots of jumps, drops, and rock gardens the rims are still true. For a 6" travel bike, this climbs like a mountain goat. Had a friend riding behind me, he thought I had the shock pumped up tight because there was almost no bob and wouldn't believe I had it set about 10 lbs than what I weigh. If you price each part, it's hard to believe this bike sells for only $1200. Everywhere I looked, just the Domain fork sells for around $450 to $500. I could have bought 2 of these bikes for what I would have paid for the EX8. I'm assuming the Trek decal on the side costs the extra $1200. People are always asking about it, and I'm constantly offering to let them ride it just so they can see I'm not blowing smoke up their asses. For the price, you absolutely can't beat this bike and I would and do recommend it to friends or anyone else looking for a full suspension bike. Value gets 5 chilis, but I have to give it only 4 for overall, but only because it weighs in at around 35 lbs, and some of you weight weenies may be put off by that. For me personally, I give it 5 for overall.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Similar Products Used:   Test rode a Trek Fuel EX8

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Domain 318 fork, Monarch 3.1 shock, Avid Juicy brakes, Kenda Nevegal tires on Mavic EX729 rims

Submitted by gsims13 a Cross Country Rider from united stated

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2010

Strengths:    Bike is clean in a looks great. Well built with oversized tubes. Price can't be bea for getting into the 6" travel AM frame

Weaknesses:    Rear Monarch 3.1 shock. Hard to dial in and if you plan on running the 6" travel setting you will need to invert the shock so you can adjust the air and not shear off the air stem with the rear linkage.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike that works well and if you build up the frame you can get a top end bike for a fraction of the cost. I spent $1800 for complete build. The bike would only be better with a Fox rp23. I think I will replace the Monarch ASAP. However, the bike handles great and feel more confident. Great bike for the money and hope Sette puts a better shock on it. I would pay more for the frame if it came with the RP23. That is why it gets 5 chilli's for value and 4 for the overall rating

Favorite Trail:   luge

Purchased At:   Price point

Similar Products Used:   Only hardtails

Bike Setup:   Monarch 3.1, Talas 150MM fork, juicy elixcir 5 brakes, Outlaw rims, X-9 drive train.

Submitted by largeMarv a Cross Country Rider from Louisville, KY USA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2010

Strengths:    Adjustable rear travel from 4-6 inches.
Beefy frame.

Bottom Line:
What more could I ask for? This bike can be used for all styles of mountain biking, from cross-country to free riding. Since I'm a cross-country rider, I currently have the bike set up with 4 inches of travel on the front and rear suspension. So far, this frame is amazing! The way I have the bike set up, it is surprisingly lighter than what I expected. Of course, the bike is still heavier than my cross country bike, but I can handle the extra weight. The bike handles well, especially through harsh terrain and rock gardens.

Favorite Trail:   Ft. Duffield

Submitted by derailin_palin a Weekend Warrior from Bay Area

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2009

Strengths:    Beefy frame, reinforced head tube, adjustable rear linkage for 4",5",6". Built for serious all mountain riding. Faux bar design similar to Kona Dawg works fine. Climbs great using a platform rear shock. Switch off the propedal/platform and it flows over the downhills like a magic carpet. Great bang for the buck AM frame.

Weaknesses:    The frame is a bit heavy at 6.6lbs with air shock, but then again the whole bike is a very reasonable 30.7 lbs. At this point every 1/2 lb weight savings either costs $$$ or compromises strength (or both).

Bottom Line:
4 chilis overall since the linkage design isn't the newest flashiest thing, and it would be nice to shave a little weight off (does the top tube really need to be as beefy as the downtube?) Still, the frame performs great for AM riding and is built to last. It's slower than your buddy's 23 lb XC racer, but it can freeride if you want it to, something many true XC bikes would not survive. Great value, built tough, looks great.

Favorite Trail:   Monte Bello, Skeggs

Bike Setup:   MC 3.3 shock, '07 Marzocchi AM 1 160mm, WTB Speeddisc, 2.1 Nevegals, BB7 discs 160mm, other good stuff. comes in at 30.7 lbs

Submitted by dallastxrusty a Downhiller from Dallas, TX, US

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2009

Strengths:    great bike, the front shock and rear shock together make this bike so smooth on taking big jumps. the avid juicy 3's work great for me. nice big tires. looks great.

Weaknesses:    i got this bike from price point and there is something in the wall of my rear rim and makes a noise, i have yet to take it apart and try and get it out. the back shock doesnt seem to have too much adjustability but it hasnt given me any problems what so ever and eats up jumps. the seat could be a little better but not a big deal. wish it would weigh a little less. on a side note, i knew most of these "downsides" but the positives about the bike completly outweighs the negatives on this bike.

Bottom Line:
OUTSTANDING bike for the money, if you dont wanna shell out 4k for a bike this one will do everything you want, it is a great bike. nice big tires and the brakes stop on a dime. this bike will eat up jumps and can still be used through the xc trails as well. very nimble, i would recommend this bike to anyone looking to get a great AM bike. the only downside is sette isnt a "big" name but it easily contends with them for a fraction of the cost.

Similar Products Used:   sette ace

Bike Setup:   sette flite from price point with BBG bashguard

Submitted by tearitup a Cross Country Rider from Stanhope, NJ

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2009

Strengths:    Frame is stiff, and climbs well. Avid hydraulics work nicely.

Weaknesses:    I immediately broke the Monarch 3.1 rear shock. Along with it being limited on adjustments before I broke it, I planned on replacing it. Price point immediately replaced the shock with an upgrade, Monarch 4.2, and I have had no problems. I reversed the shock to the upside-down position to avoid the air valve to be snapped on the swingarm.

Bottom Line:
I ride every day and race on the weekends. I pound the crap out of this bike. It is holding up real well. Other than the suspension upgrades, I would definitely recommend this bike for anyone who rides alot and rides hard. I brake everything and so far in 6 mos I have only broken the rear shock, which Price Point replaced graciously with an upgrade that I can't complain about. I probably will replace the rear shock eventually but right now it serves the purpose. For value I give it 5 chilis, for what you get, but for overall I give it 4, because there are issues with the Rock Shox setup that the bike comes with.

Favorite Trail:   All of Allamuchy

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Always had a hard tail before this bike.

Bike Setup:   Manitou Nixon Elite front shocks, Rock Shox Monarch 4.2 rear, Juicy 3's, SRAM 7 components.

Submitted by Flight3202 a Weekend Warrior from Turners Falls, Ma, USA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2009

Strengths:    Great bike for the price. Good climber for a 6" travel bike. Great on the downhill sections!!!

Weaknesses:    The front shock just takes time to get used to. Not a fan of low end hydraulics, put my BB7's on they work great with the 185mm. The handle bars that come with the bike are very narrow unless you like that I would plan on changing them.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a full suspension bike for under $2000 you will have a hard time finding a better deal than this.

Favorite Trail:   Wendell, B-Street, Deerfield/Greenfield Ridge

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Pitch, Giant Trance3, the rest have been hard tails (differnt ride all together)

Bike Setup:   What it came with except for a couple of things, WTB Mutano Raptor 2.4 and BB7's

Submitted by mikedance a Downhiller from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2009

Strengths:    Looks good, rides better. Extremely smooth ride. Good geometry for uphill riding. Excels at downhill with all 6 inches of front and rear travel.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, but I could care less how much my bike weighs when riding downhill so it doesn't bother me. If you like riding xc a lot you might want a lighter option.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! I worked very hard to research this bike and had a hard time finding any good reviews so I am leaving this to help everybody out who is thinking about this bike. It is an excellent option for a great cost. I have absolutely no complaints about the bike. The setup is great and I have been experimenting with the 3 different settings on the rear shock. The flite suits me well in every aspect of biking. I love downhills, but wanted a bike that could also ride up to the downhills. This bike rides pretty well uphill and excels on the downhill stuff. I have started jumping more and pushing it hard and the bike seems to put up with everything I have thrown at it. Drops of around 5-6 feet and gaps longer than that. It seems to handle all of it well. The components that pricepoint offers on it are awesome for the price. The bike is well suited for someone that rides hard. I am 5'10, 180 lbs. and got the 18" frame. Fits perfect. I like the adjustability of the rear shock and am currently running it in the rearmost bolt setting and at 200 psi. I give it 5 flamin' chilis because it is a great deal for a great bike. By the way, I have read a lot of reviews that concern themselves with where Sette is made. It has a sticker on the bottom that says made in taiwan. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a longer travel bike that can do it all. If you are concerned a lot about the weight of your bike, I would look somewhere else.

Favorite Trail:   Bobsled