Scott Ransom Limited All Mountain Full Suspension

• Spokes: Mavic Crossmax XL Disc
  • Rims: Mavic Crossmax XL Disc

Submitted by ajoliver@gmail.com a Weekend Warrior from Bakewell, Peak District

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2010

Strengths:    Climbs well, descends really well. Built strong and light for the travel

Weaknesses:    The Sun SOS rims are not really tough enough.

Bottom Line:
This bike is just awesome. I've had mine for 3 years now and it still keeps me smiling

Favorite Trail:   Jaggers Clough, Hope Cross area

Purchased At:   18 Bikes, Hope

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Nomad, Santa Cruz Blur LT

Bike Setup:   Stock 2007 build with Monkey Lite bars and Panaracer FR 2.4 tyres

Submitted by MTBChick a Weekend Warrior from Derby, UK

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2008

Strengths:    Made me want to jump over everything in my path the moment I got on it! Burly, feels great in the air and on landing, yet it climbs really well: v. light, rear shock traction/lockout mode great, and I've got the 2007 model so Lyrics air 2-step forks, so can really set up the bike on the fly to suit the terrain.

Weaknesses:    Only recently found out that its greatest strength (long wheelbase = stable) is also a weakness when trying to learn manuals/wheelies.. If you already master these skills, you'll be fine but expect it to involve more effort than what you're used to. Otherwise bike is faultless.

Bottom Line:
3 months in and I still feel the same way as I did when I first got it! I wanted something light enough to follow my XC mates, but burly enough to learn to jump with my DH mates - I've got it. It's my perfect bike. It has helped me progress way more than I was hoping. Don't buy it if you're a XC whippet (you don't need all that travel), but if you like a dab at both XC and DH (especially if you're not that heavy), it's the bike to do it all.
Get quite a few comments about how crazy the rear shock looks, but it's a sweet looking bike.
Bottom line for me was that it felt great when I first tried it, and when I'm off it, I'm just dying to get back on it! Worth every single one of its many pennies.

Favorite Trail:   Can't decide between Glentress' Spooky Woods and Inners Minch Moor

Purchased At:   Leisure Lakes

Similar Products Used:   Orange Five, Commencal Meta 5.5., Lapierre Spicy.

Bike Setup:   2007 stock

Submitted by Bob Crow a Weekend Warrior from Dania Beach, Florida USA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2008

Strengths:    Three on the fly shock settings are a great feature for climbing and dropping with percision. Stiff frame responds well under power. Bike climbs very well for a machine offering near 7 inches of travel! Looks real sweet rolling down the trail.

Weaknesses:    Price! this is a bike that you had better love with all you heart at over $7,500.00 smackers!

Bottom Line:
Great all around bike especially for exploring new trails where you don’t know what to expect, this bike will take all challenges and get you through the tough down hill sections with speed. Climbing is good for this sort of bike but be sure that it is no XC racer and look elsewhere if that is your goal. Overall this is a great machine to have in your arsenal when you want to get it all done with a single high quality bike.

Favorite Trail:   Razorback (recently closed)

Purchased At:   Second Hand

Similar Products Used:   GT Marathon Carbon / Specialized Stumpjumper Pro / Specialized Enduro SL

Bike Setup:   LTD frameset, Fox 36 Talas, SRAM X-0 driveline with XTR Fr. Der, XTR Crank, Shimano pedals, Avid Juicy Carbon brakes 185F/160R rotors, Mavic Cross Max Wheels, Nevegal Tires 2.1, Truvativ Carbon Bars, Scott Stem, ODI Grips, Specialized Saddle.

Submitted by Mike a Downhiller from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2008

Strengths:    Bike reviewed is the 2007 Scott Ransom SL which is the super light version of the Ransom LTD with ti bolts, etc. This bike is really fun to ride. It is like haveing 3 bikes on a ride with the rear shock capability. So far it handles really well. I have only ridden it a few times but once for a night ride...it is a fast bike. Since my bike is new, I am taking time to set it up. Scott has been extremely helpful in supporting me from needing a shim for the Maverick seatpost, to questions about set-up. EXCELLENT bike support from Scott.

Weaknesses:    TBD...well, the SL is great in a lot of ways but maybe too lightly spec'd in others...it was spec'd with 2.1 tires, which if you really intend to use the bike for more than XC, then that is just not enough rubber, at least for NorCal riding(other places 2.1 may be just fine!). Also, it was spec'd with 6 inch rotors which at speed just doesn't give enough stopping power...these aren't really weaknesses though, more preference and my changes end up adding weight which is not really the point with the SL model...so take this for what it's worth.

Bottom Line:
Preliminary Review...(will update later!)

Killer bike. GREAT Scott support. A bike for the person looking to ride agressive XC and some AM. You can do some drops and jumps on this bike, but the purpose of this bike is to do everything and do it fast. It climbs like crazy (your knees will thank you), it rails, and it is just silly fun to ride. Get one.

Again, Scott Support is responsive, helpful, and really on their game.

Since I have not ridden this more than a month, I will give 5 flamin' Banana Slugs until proven otherwise...

Favorite Trail:   Scout

Similar Products Used:   I rode a Ransom 40 at Park City on some DH trails and LOVED it. The 40 is the aluminum version. It was so fun.
I also ride a 2006 VP Free, 2006 Specialized Enduro and an 2007 Ibis Mojo.

Bike Setup:   Carbon this, and carbon that. I'm not a WW but having a light carbon bike is totally fun. It has it's place in my quiver.

Submitted by Bluveinr a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight six inch travel cross country rig.

Weaknesses:    Overly complicated. Warranty service.

Bottom Line:
Even though I have a Ransom 20, I have posted this here for more exposure. I have been mostly happy with this bike since I've owned it. The BB height is a little low for my tastes but conversely the handling is superb. The shock set up is a bit complex. Also, having varying travel options for both the rear shock and front fork can be a bit overwhelming sometimes. The bottom line is BE CAREFUL if you buy this bike!. Mine had a shock bolt back out after less than a dozen rides and it cut into the carbon frame. Scott is saying they won't warranty the frame because the damage wasn't caused by frame failure even though they assemble the frame and shock themselves and the shock is proprietary. The manual says nothing with regard to checking bolt torques. CHECK THEM AFTER EVERY RIDE. It says check the bushings and regrease them every 40 hrs. This no easy task due to the location of the shock withing the subframe. It will take two people. Even though I like this bike a lot, I'm giving it one pepper for lack of warranty service and over complexity. I'm going back to Santa Cruz.

Favorite Trail:   Noble

Similar Products Used:   SC Heckler x 2, SC Blur, VooDoo hardtail

Bike Setup:   Ransom 20

Submitted by ATBScott a Cross Country Rider from Castro Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2006

Strengths:    Handling, Handling, Handling, suspension action is great, like the adjustable travel/lockout feature. Reasonable weight for almost 7" travel!

Weaknesses:    Cable/hose routing.

Bottom Line:
This bike is really nice. More capable than I am, I am sure. I am a technical trail rider and keep the jumps and drops to a reasonable altitude - I don't heal like I did in my 20's and 30's! The bike handles rough terrain and severe obstacles very well - if I have the Heuvos, it is there for the section! The only gripe is that the BB height is only moderate and occassionally the (admittedly wide) pedals will strike, esp on off-camber or deep-worn sections of trail. On the positive side, the bike will usually let me ride after the strike and continue with little adverse action from the hit. More annoying than anything else! Handles steps and drops down rocky technical sections well. Head angle is a touch slacker than I have been riding, and still will "get me" in a tight switchback once in a while, but I am getting more adept/used to it. Took a while to get the rear shock dialed in but the rear feels great - no noticeable motion even when standing, the forks make the most motion when out of the saddle. Turn the compression to high on the fork, and go to locked or mid-travel on the rear, and the thing is like a road bike on the pavement, getting to the trailhead. The finish is actually pretty durable, a crash in a rock garden left only minor scratches in the finish (Phew!). Worked well in Downieville on the Big Boulder ride. Really do love the bike, but for the $$ I should!
If you have the funds, go for it!

Favorite Trail:   Can I have only one?

Purchased At:   Cyclepath Hayward

Similar Products Used:   Upgraded from '03 Specialized Enduro, test rode a few other bikes before making the jump.

Bike Setup:   LTD frameset, Rockshox Pike 454 Air U-Turn, SRAM X-0 driveline with XTR Fr. Der, XT Crank, Mallet M pedals, Avid Juicy Carbon brakes 185F/160R rotors, Easton Havoc AM Wheels, WTB Mutanoraptor 2.24 with Stans, FSA Carbon Bars, Thomson stem, ODI Grips, Terry Ti Saddle.

Submitted by Adrian Campbell-Howard a Cross Country Rider from Cheltenham

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2006

Strengths:    Great Geometry, Looks and Weight

Bottom Line:
I am generally speaking a cross country rider who likes speed more then technical challenges, however every now and again a bit a challenge is necassary and on the various technical downhills (and odd technical climbs) this bike helps enormously. Downhills that I would never have attempted before seem easy now. The bike just rides over suitcast sized obstacles (granted I am still a little unsteady) but the bike does so much of the work for you. It really has changed the type of riding I look for. It climbs particularly well also for the type of bike geometry. Would be grateful for full lockout on the front forks though. My otherbike is a scott scale ltd so am very spoilt, both bikes are fabulous in their own respect. The scale holds it's own against many of my road riding friends on long weekend road rides.

Favorite Trail:   all of the lakes and south wales

Purchased At:   Leisure Lakes, Cheltenham

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Winston-Salem, NC

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight but stiff frame and long travel.

Weaknesses:    For large frame, bike still weighs close to 30 lbs...some may consider this too much.

Bottom Line:
This bike has forever changed the way I ride. I love technical trails but am not a "freerider". Previously raced in Adventure races and do quite a bit of road riding. My style for mountain biking has been more of the cross country type. But this bike, despite a mild weight penalty, costs me nothing in the climbs, but I gain tremendously in the downhills...additionally, I am now trying and successfully clearing technical obstacles that I would have never tried before. If you are a freerider accustomed to long travel, heavy bikes, this bike may not offer you anything new except a lighter platform...but if you are a cross county rider or racer looking for a more comfortable all mountain riding machine that will not hurt you on the climbs up, look no further than the Ransom Limited.

Favorite Trail:   Salem Lake

Purchased At:   Blackwater Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Previously owned 2003 Santa Cruz Blur with full XTR set-up.
Prior to that had 2001 Intense Tracer

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Jeremy Bennett a Cross Country Rider from uk

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2006

Strengths:    awsome bike to ride

Weaknesses:    non found yet

Bottom Line:
been mtb rideing for 20 years gone through a few bikes in that time,1st suspension bike had polymer as everything bikes have come on had Gt carbon bike many years ago but frame cracked so bit unsure about going back to carbon but technology has come on and after demoing ransom did not take long to go for another carbon bike(about 5 miles)
AWSOME BIKE

Favorite Trail:   Just love to ride

Purchased At:   liesure lakes

Similar Products Used:   cannondale geminie,orange, specialized,all good bikes,but ransom just feels so good

Bike Setup:   ransom ltd standard set up

Submitted by ATBScott a Cross Country Rider from Castro Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2006

Strengths:    Light for long travel - no-motion rear-end and room for a bottle cage to hold a light battery. Trick looks and great handling.

Weaknesses:    None found yet - will have to keep it under severe lock-and-key!

Bottom Line:
Had the chance to ride the LTD and it was very nice. I have held off on the driveline and brakes and will use my old XTR for a couple of months until I get to see the new XTR and then I may decide on going with SRAM. Like the X-0 RD, but not sure about the release trigger on the shifters. I like the XTR Dual-control with a traditional rear derailluer, so may stick with that. (Would kinda like the Avid Juicy Carbon brakes though...) Building as a long-travel, long-ride trailbike. 45-years old and no huge jumps for me - just want something fast and predictable. Test riding this is an expensive proposition - Frame goes for about $3200, will spend that on parts by the time I'm done. Hope I like the Pike, but the Maxle and the lock-out option sold me over going with the Fox 36RC2 (I DO like Fox stuff - they need something a bit less than the 36 but more than the standard TALUS I think - a 140mm TALUS RLC with a thru-axle would have had me on that in a heartbeat). Should have this together in a couple weeks - will report again after a month on the trails! Giving it a 5 for now, as it felt so good to make me drop cash for a frame to build. The full bike is well-spec'd - I just wanted to build something different!

Favorite Trail:   Can I have only one?

Purchased At:   Cyclepath Hayward

Similar Products Used:   Specilized Enduro, tested a number of other "long travel trail bikes"

Bike Setup:   LTD Frameset, Rockshox Pike 454 Air, Easton Havoc Wheels, Race Face bar, Thomson Stem, Mallet M pedals, '03 XTR equipment until I get to see the '07 stuff, then I decide between that setup or going with SRAM X-0/Avid kit.