Scott Ransom 30 All Mountain Full Suspension

• Seatpost: Scott RC
  • Spokes: DT Swiss Super Comp Black

Submitted by LifeGiver a Downhiller from Podolsk, Russia

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2010

Strengths:    ???????? ???? ?? ????????? ??????? ?? ????-??!

Weaknesses:    ????????????? ????? ??????? ????????

Bottom Line:
??? ??????????? ????! ??? ?????! ????? ?????? ? ??????? ????! ??? ??????????. ????? ????????????? ? ????????. ????? ????????????? ????????.

Favorite Trail:   Erino

Purchased At:   ChainReactionCycles

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose Black Diamond 2008, Atom Team Rider 2005, Stark Beat 2008, Santa Cruze VP-Free 2005

Bike Setup:   Sun DitWitch, X-9 rear, Stroker Trail, MZ 55 TST2

Submitted by FreakKit a Weekend Warrior from Québec, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2010

Strengths:    The equalizer and the rear shock design are very well built. This is a “heavy duty” bike than can take a lot a stuff and can still be able to go uphill. I like the geometry and rigidity of the frame.

Weaknesses:    The equalizer shock itself, you need to do a rebuilt directly from Scott and the cost is 100$ each time. The high pressure in the shock can destroy the seals if not use for a long period of time, like 5 month; remove the air if you store your bike. The Scott customer services do nothing to help, thanks to my great LBS!

Bottom Line:
I will not buy another Scott after this one; the exclusivity of the shock systems is more a weakness than strength. Now at my second rebuilt and I have a new problem with it, some creaking in the lock mode. I also have a lot a problem with the original forks, ATA 55 from Marzocchi, the forks was defect after 20 km and had been repair 3 times, replace completely 1 time and never performed well. I do not ride the bike hard; I do mostly XC and occasionally some drop like 4-5 foots max. When I buy the bike, Scott fail to replace the forks, everyone knew, including Scott, that this fork was very poor except me. Don’t trust anyone, do your homework well before buying something. I’ve got a replacement after taking legal proceeding, that mean time and money… Like my LBS say; this is the first time we have so much trouble with one bike. This bike had been at my LBS so often and for so long that you can see the shape of the bike on the wall! The funniest and sadness things at the same time, the bike only have 500 km! Of course, the bike is now for sale…

Favorite Trail:   East Burke, VT

Similar Products Used:   Scott Genius

Bike Setup:   Ransom 30 2008 L, Fox Talas 36 RC2 2010, Truvativ Stylo 32T with bash, Sram 11-34 980, Sram X9 short cage, chain Sram 991, Sram X7 shifter, Gravity stem 40, stock rim, tire, etc. Weight 33.65 lbs.

Submitted by gastonbx a Cross Country Rider from Buenos Aires, Argentina

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent frame, suspension system, and shock

Weaknesses:    Shock, pivots.

Bottom Line:
I have done XC circuits, downhill and everything in the middle with this bike. The handling is good, weight is proper, equalizer is amazing and useful.
Unfortunatelly, In one of the first rides (my fault) I took stairs really hard with rear shock locked, so main pivots (top and bottom of the shock) got bended and lightly loosen. Sadly here in Argentina, Scott importer does not import spares, so I'm still working to fix that.
Final words, the bike is excellent.

Favorite Trail:   Les gets

Purchased At:   Scott

Similar Products Used:   Specialized SX / SX Trail.

Bike Setup:   Domain 318 U-Turn, Mavic Deetrax, Juicy 7, SRAM X9, Hammerschmidt.

Submitted by bstana1 a Racer from Pittsburgh PA

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2009

Strengths:    This is a very strong bike. the equalizer shock control of the shock is great. it can do it all. the bike climbs really well. its a really great all around mountain bike. for downhill, and for cross country riding. I had no problems with the bike what so ever. plus scott customer service is the best.

Weaknesses:    Oh its the nicest moutain bike I have ever been on.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the all around mountain biker. great quality. runs great. no problems. can really take a beating. I have had this bike go off of 12 foot drops. It holds up really nice. and I can also take this bike out for a sunday joy ride with my wife. its a very versitile bike

Purchased At:   Big Band Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Kona stinky. GT Avalache. Cannondale(i dont even want to say because I paid more for this cannondale mtb, than I did for my ransom, and I am still stuck with this cannondale. its not even close in quality between the scott and cannondale. scott wins hands down. both the cannondale and the kona customer service is terrible. didnt fix my problems with my bikes. not without having to pay bike dollars. Scott really takes care of me. great warranty.

Submitted by woofdog a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2009

Strengths:    Nice handling bike, mostly. Adjustable travel make versatile bike, rear shock has worked really well for me. Some nice design detail.

Weaknesses:    Frame cracked near lower shock mount, after about 30 rides. Rear suspension design is quite noodly, it flexes sideways which makes the bike feel imprecise while cornering. Kona Coilair is much more planted through the corners.

Bottom Line:
I like the versatility of this bike; it's quite easy to ride up hill and down. But I'm wondering which part of the frame is going to crack next.
I got a warranty replacement front triangle, but the design is the same as the one the broke (except they turned up the welder to get more weld metal where the last frame cracked). I would have been much happier if Scott had sent a later model frame, for which the design has been improved.
The combination of flexy rear end and cracked frame makes me regret that I purchased this bike; apart from that it's good!

Bike Setup:   Lyrik, juicy 7, X9

Submitted by mgsmith a Weekend Warrior from Newcastle, Northeast, UK

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2009

Strengths:    Good all mountain bike with three suspension travel settings controlled remotely from bar.

Weaknesses:    Rear shock blew on third ride. Bike is a little on the heavy side.

Bottom Line:
I bought mine as new stock from ebay but after just three rides the rear shock seals blew causing oil to leak into the air chambers. Scott clearly know this is a common problem because the service chap told me that they basically replace everything including the anti bob system and even the stickers at every service! All you get back of the original shock you send them is the housing basically making it a '09 unit.

Other than this I am very happy with the bikes ability to climb (despite its hefty weight) and descend like a fiend. The kit is pretty good that comes on it as standard, especially the fox van 36 forks (UK spec).

Despite my problem with the equalizer shock I do think it is a good idea. I have never used the full lock-out function but the 90mm setting is great for climbing and trail riding whilst the 165mm setting is amazing for the rough stuff.

Buy one if you don't mind a bit of a weight penalty on the way up for the amazingly plush ride back down.

Favorite Trail:   Glentress Black

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Cracken a Cross Country Rider from Bainbridge Island

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2008

Strengths:    I reviewed this bike 2 years ago, (Cris Ugles review, below). It is so very nice to be able to lock out and ajust travel on the rear shock, and it is nice to have such a hot looking bike.

Weaknesses:    Price and weight,and most significant apparent weld issues.

There are clearly some problems with the frame welds. I found posts in a couple forums after this weekends break, with failurs in the same two spots occurring with other Ransoms, including the carbon fiber 20. First I broke the rear triangle a few months ago, where the weld on the chainstay meets the pivot. And, now the frame broke at the weld just in front of the bottom bracket. I do not ride very aggressively, only small drops and hops, etc. always land soft and easy, out of saddle over roots, etc. Both breaks occurred while just cruising down nice wooded single track.

Bottom Line:
I love the bike, but am a little nervous about the reliability now. If either break had occurred while on an epic or hairy ride, it could have been catastrophic for me.

I was told in one of the forums (a Scott team rider) that the frame has been beefed up due to these problems. We shall see, I guess.

My local bike shop has been great, but it took a long time for Scott to get the new rear triangle (was warranty item) imported, nearly two months.

I do like the bike, but if I had it to do over again, I am not sure I would.

I have asked if I could have a loaner/demo bike while I wait, and so will know in the next couple of days what is happening, as pics of the break, etc. are sent to Scott.

Favorite Trail:   Upper Dungeness/Gold Creek

Purchased At:   Bainbridge Island Cy

Similar Products Used:   My old Raleigh M80, has been through more than this bike has and has never had any frame issues...

Bike Setup:   XTR crankset
Sram XO twist shifters and derailers
Adjustable seat post via lever on handlebars
carbon fiber Monkey lite bars
Kenda Blue Groove tires with Stans No-Tubes

Submitted by speedy_gonzales a Downhiller from Cheshire UK

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2008

Strengths:    Great all mountain/freeride bike, have used it for ultra fast and technical singletrack downhilling and full on alps downhill black runs, takes them all in its stride with poise and confidence.

Weaknesses:    Managed to snap the rear triangle where it meets the weld at the dropouts, am sending it back to Scott as it is metal fatigue, bike has only been used a dozen times :(

Bottom Line:
Excellent piece of kit, sucks it all up in its stride, shame about the frame snapping though :(

Favorite Trail:   Les Arcs Black 8

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles UK

Bike Setup:   V12 pedals and Maxxis High Roller Downhills (2.35), these tyres are simply excellent on this bike...

Submitted by Barney5s a Weekend Warrior from Mansfield. Nottinghamshire, UK

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2008

Strengths:    The 'All Mountain' tag suggests it's only for those who do the Megavallanche, but I've tried this on big drops, Rock gardens, singletrack etc in fact pretty much anything the UK has to offer, the range of travel and the ease of adjustment coupled with perfect geometry means this bike just laps it up.

Weaknesses:    Check your rocker links, I've ridden it pretty solidly over a range of surfaces for a sustained period and they need looing at, but thats the same with the speshes I've had.

Bottom Line:
I was sceptical about the ransom, since the main mags over here didn't seem to offer much of a review and when they did firmly categorised it as a freeride/all mountain bike, however having read the reviews here I went for it. The only thing I would say is dump the Juicy 5s, they can't take the stick from the riding you will undoubtedly do when you take the bike out. You will be surprised at the handling wether or not you coming down from big travel or stepping up, but in good way the geometry means it rides lighter than its is.

Ride all day on no matter what, get the ransom.

Favorite Trail:   Ladybower loop Peak Dist, or Penmachno

Purchased At:   Sherwood Pines

Similar Products Used:   Specialized enduro pro 03/04, Specialized Stumpjumper S-works 06,

Bike Setup:   Sunline V2 Bars, DT Swiss 5.1 rims with Hope Pro 2 hubs, Xt hollowtech cranck with Middleburn rings, Xt shadow rear mech, Shimano SLX discs.

Submitted by Corin Healy a Weekend Warrior from Wellington, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2007

Strengths:    Light and easy to pedal. Climbs, Corners and Descends well. The remote lockout/travel adjustment is awesome.

Bottom Line:
For a long time I was skeptical of All Mountain bikes, I had a bike for DH and a bike for XC both with their positives and negatives. I've taken this bike on a number of rides and it has surprised me. It climbs, corners and descends very well. I've done smallish drops and jumps without any problem. I'd recommend this bike to someone who wants a bike that can do a bit of everything. Not suitable if you are an XC racer or want a big huck machine. I was concerned about getting a bike with a proprietary shock, this has not been a problem at all.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Variety of XC and DH hardtails and full suspension bikes.

Bike Setup:   Got the frame online and bult the bike up with the following...Drivetrain mainly SRAM X9 components, Shimano XT Crankset, Marzochi All Mountain forks, YD Open brakes. Truvativ 60mm stem and Riser Bars. Alex Adventurer Rims.

Submitted by Sam Brodribb a Downhiller from Whistler, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2007

Strengths:    I've been riding this bike pretty solidly in the Whistler bike park. The adjustable rear travel on the fly is great for all day trails, and being able to adjust the front travel is a massive bonus for cross country. The original spec of the bike is pretty solid.
The overall look of the bike is great aswell!

Weaknesses:    I'm using this as a park bike, so the SOS rims got trashed first day of use - changed to MTX's. Some people who ride my bike feel that the air shock is not plush - but I come from a hard tail, so I'm stoked with the stiffer rear end. I've found that my Juicy 5's make a lot of noise when they get wet.

CHECK THE REAR SUSPENSION LINKAGES BEFORE AND AFTER EVERY RIDE!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
This bike has been through the hardest that Whistler bike park has to offer (Freight Train, A-Line, Dirt Merchant etc...) - and with the addition of the above parts - the bike has held up brilliantly!

I'm sure many of you who are looking at this bike are not planning on using it as an aggresive all-mountain/light freeride bike, but it is handling the conditions beautifully. And the best part is that I can take it out for a day of trail riding with my XC buddy's too!

IMPORTANT NOTES:

* check the frame linkages before and after every ride - the first few weeks, the axel in the pivot point above the bottom bracket would slide slightly each ride. I did not notice this till it was almost too late and luckily re-adjusted it before the axel had come out. I don't have this problem any more, but it's worth mentioning that I had trouble with this the first 3-4 weeks!

* If you're thinking on putting on a E-Thirteen DRS chain guide - note that the chain guide is designed to fit from the bottom bracket - not ISCG mounts on the frame! For it to fit you need to get a slightly wider bottom bracket.

BOTTOM LINE:
This bike is pretty much perfect for all day trail riding out of the box. If you're looking at doing some more aggresive riding then with a few changes, the bike can handle some pretty intense riding!

IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY, BUY THIS BIKE!

Favorite Trail:   Freight Train

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Hooked up by scottusa

Similar Products Used:   Specialized SX Trail, Giant Reign

Bike Setup:   Stock apart from :
Rims: MTX's (Urban camo)
Guide: E-Thirteen DRS (NOTE NEW BOTTOM BRACKET NEEDED FOR THIS!)
Pedals: Crankbrothers 50/50's
Tires: Maxxis Minion 2.5"
Chain: SRAM powerlink

Submitted by Philip Hosty a Weekend Warrior from Aberdeen, Grampian, Scotland

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2007

Strengths:    Solid frame, fantastic forks, superb engineering detail everywhere - each bolt has the torque written beside it (Germans!), great for tweakers, upgrade path to sub 30lb (if you have the $$$$), Scott customer service.

Weaknesses:    Bottle mount is a joke, non-standard seatpost dia (34.9mm) requires shims to use most other posts (i.e. Mav Speedball)

Bottom Line:
Instantly gives you the confidence to try bigger and badder stuff as soon as you get on the saddle. Fox 36 is just sublime and makes the front end feel so stiff you feel you can roll over anything. Weight is excellent (33lb) for the travel and with a few tweaks you can get very close to the Ransom Ltd weight of 29.9lb with XTR etc (the alu frame is only 0.5 lb heaver than the carbon one).

If you ditched the forks for some 32s or Pace Fighters you can get sub 28lb.

Expensive at list RRP - but only an idiot would pay that. Get an 06 or wait till end of season.

Just make sure you either take it back to the dealer after a coupleof hundred miles to get all the nuts tweaked or do it yourself as my discs came loose (maybe geting too hot and those downhills!!)

Favorite Trail:   Kirkhill / Pitfichie

Purchased At:   Cycvibes

Similar Products Used:   Spesh Enduro (2004), Marin East Peak (2004), Giant Trance 3 (2006)

Bike Setup:   Stock apart from pedals (V12s), saddle (Spesh BG), handlebar (Truvativ Team Carbon). Also added Blackspire Dewlite C4 (and replaced 32T for 36T).

Submitted by Cris Ugles a Cross Country Rider from Bainbridge Island, WA

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2006

Strengths:    Adjustable travel on the fly, lock out. 4 inches, or 6 inches by a small lever on the handle bar, very nice.

Front shock, Fox talus 36 also adjusts 4 inches to 6, just need to reach for it.

A rock solid ride, very good climber with the seat post angle and length of chainstays on geared for this.

Weaknesses:    Heavy bike and expensive bike.

Worth the money for a strong big rider. I love it, but I am 225 pounds and 6 foot 3 1/2. Yes, five pounds lighter than three months ago thanks to keeping up with everyone else on this wicked machine

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike to help bring me to tne next level in my riding and immediately I made big gains in my riding confidence and skill.

This is a very nice performing and extremely good looking bike. It gives confidence on the downhills and still can climb well.

Locking out the rear shock instantly when needing to eliminate that extra bitof bob while climbing is fantastic. I find myself flicking the shock into lock, to 4 inch travel and into 6 inch travel a lot while riding, it is so easy and make such a difference in handling the varied terrain that all mountain riding offers.

Scott has some areas to work on most notably the anti-bob while rear shock is set for travel and the weight of the bike. Most of the 6 inch travel bikes have the same handicap.

All bikes have their weaker points and these are pretting easily dealt with, while the advantages are worth it all regardless if you work on the weight, etc.

It maybe heavy but the geometry and adjustable shocks are allowing me to climb some steep stuff that I could not on any other bike before this.

Feeling the burn (I am 50 this year) and still cranking.

Favorite Trail:   lower Big Quilcene, Mount Muller, upper Dungeness

Purchased At:   BI Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Kona King Kikapo, Raleigh M 80, short rides on various others.

Bike Setup:   Stans No tubes and what a differnce that makes! Sram XO twist grip shifters and rear derailer, 980 cassette, 990 chain and xtr front derailer, xtr external bearings crank. Monkey carbon fiber DH bar, Thompson stem, ergo grips.Gelissimo seat-my old comfy.

Submitted by Cris Ugles a Weekend Warrior from Bainbridge Island

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2006

Strengths:    I am 6 ft 3 1/2 and weigh in at 230 lbs. Trying out an extra large frame. I believe this bike will climb those steeps better than others which turn into unicycles when I an on the steep steep stuff, the seat tube angle is more verticle, chainstay longer, etc. It is so very nice to be able to lock out the rear shock instantly with the flip of a switch, and also being able to go from 4 inch to 6 inch travel, all instantly with the flick of the handle bar mounted lever.

Weaknesses:    Very expensive bike, and heavy at 33 ibs off the shelf. Had some problems; chain came off twice, on the inside and wow does it wedge in there, Very difficult to pull it out. Also, even with the stable platform shock getting a lot of pedal bob unless locked in hard tail mode. I know this stuff can be adjusted, am just not familiar enough... So am bringing the bike back into shop and have them adjust front derailer, the stable platform, etc. and then will try the bike again. I did not make my steep climb which I consider THE test, but that was due to chain coming off, etc. Will try it again, I did not get the unicycle feel a much as I do on others on the steep part that I did make.

Bottom Line:
I am going to try this again and will report back. I may buy it, I will try my steep climb again and hpoefully make it up.

So will report back...

Favorite Trail:   Oddfellows, Blakely Harbor, Grand Forest, Quilcene, etc.

Purchased At:   Bainbridge Island Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Kona King Kickapoo (sp?, and my old faithfull M-80 Raleigh.

Bike Setup:   Stop Ransom 30. Some very big heavy and fat tires on it 2.34, if I buy it I will change these to lighter 2.10 tires, also the I will upgrade the crank and front derailers which are all entry level Shimano. I like the sram XO shifter, just used to them and so that would be a nice change out as well.