Scott Ransom 10 All Mountain Full Suspension

• Rims: Sun S.O.S Disc 28mm wide / eyelets
  • Tires: Scott Stroke 26 x 2.35 Kevlar Bead 127 TPI / Superlight Compound

Submitted by babaloo a Cross Country Rider from Slovenia

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2011

Strengths:    Wonderful bike, great included gear, for me - perfect geometry, light for what it is, great looks.

Weaknesses:    Rear shock, if it breaks. Otherwise I LOVE the rear shock and the easy adjustments!

Bottom Line:
First: I am not a racer. I am (IMHO) an above average amateur mtb rider (I can jump and I go downhill quite fast). I ride on mountains/bigger hills 99% of the time (no paved roads for me - I don't like riding in traffic).

I love everything about this bike. Ever since I have it, I am ALWAYS tempted to go out for a ride! And when I go, I enjoy it immensely. And that's the point of having such a bike. It keeps me in shape and makes it FUN!

I am amazed on each ride how this bike handles the obstacles (tree roots, holes,....), it takes away the bad parts of riding and keeps the good ones! :)
Maybe, there are better bikes on the market, but I really haven't spent a second thinking about it.

Ah, and regarding the weight of the bike: it's VERY light! I never think about having a lighter bike. After all, I am riding to keep in shape, not trying to be faster for 0,1s. And I have yet to see somebody climb faster...

If you can afford it, get it! You won't be sorry, I guarantee!

Bike Setup:   SRAM X-9, Lyrik Solo Air, AVID Elixir 5 185, Selle Italia NT1

Submitted by mark a Weekend Warrior from Littleborough, lancs

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2009

Strengths:    this bike is a true all rounder. stomps down any techical descent the peak district has to offer yet still light enough to do the grizedale challenge on.

Weaknesses:    pivot bushes instead of bearings. also, torque the pivot bolts and they come loose, tighten em a bit more and the suspension has stiction.

Bottom Line:
this bike is truely amazing, it gives me the confidence my norco used to but is still light enough to do a days riding to somewhere remote. its not without faults though, the suspension design lets it down, with needle bearings or shanked bolts that could be tightened properly, the suspension would really come alive. also the lyric fork doesn't get full travel. 2 chilis for value because there aren't any performance gains from the carbon frame, 4 for overall because its a phenominal piece of kit but still room for improvement.

Favorite Trail:   ladybower. twar. mbr. stainburn

Similar Products Used:   norco six one. specialized sx. marin wolf ridge. santa cruz bullit. specialized big hit.

Bike Setup:   stock apart from mavic sx wheels and some carbon bars.

Submitted by Scott Martin a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, California, USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2007

Strengths:    Good weight for the cush travel (about 6&1/2" & currently weighs in at 32lbs). Excellent manufacturer & dealer support on warranty stuff.

Weaknesses:    I wore out the seals on the rear shock in 9 months. High pressure required at rear shock(400+psi). Stock rims & tires in 06 were on the weak side for a heavy rider (around & above 200).

Bottom Line:
While the honeymoon period is over, I still love this bike! The fun factor is there (although pricey). I had some trouble with the rear shock but Scott came through for me. I kept the added brain shock intalled after I received my replacement because I liked the uncluttered bars (minus remote). The bottom bracket is set relatively low which makes for great cornering, but occasionally allows the big ring to hit logs & stuff. I Plan to dump the big ring & add a low profile bash guard for added clearance. This bike has been my ticket to getting in shape & adding excitement to my week. If you are looking at this bike you should also check out the Specialized Enduro for a good comparison.

Favorite Trail:   soquel/demonstration/brail

Purchased At:   The Off Ramp

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz vp free, Specialized Enduro, Intense 6.6

Bike Setup:   Swapped rear shock for Specialized/Fox brain, Tubeless mavic, Formula Oro Puro brakes, Maveric speedball post, Odi lock-on grips, Crank bro acid1 peds.

Submitted by Scott Martin a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, California, USA

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2006

Strengths:    Great travel, weight & value. Very versatile bike for lots of different riding (xc, single track & light downhill).

Weaknesses:    Carbon frame chips slightly on underside of bb (factory protection doesn`t extend over bb), but nothing structural yet.

Bottom Line:
Once you get the fork & shock dialed in, the ride is perfect. Nice laid back geometry for confident & fast riding, yet still agile enough for good technical climbing(I can clean most stuff that might have been a struggle on my old xc). If you weigh over 200 lbs, this might not be the bike for you (rear shock specs only to 195). Add some lizard skin protectors to protect the bb. I didn`t like the stock front tire on downhill turns & swapped it. Through bolt axel on the Fox 36 makes flats a drag so I swapped for air lock tubes. This is a truly innovative bike that makes you look forward to weekends & after work rides.

Favorite Trail:   Stevens Creek Canyon

Purchased At:   The Off Ramp

Similar Products Used:   Demod Santa Cruz vpfree, previous bike was a Specialized xc pro.

Bike Setup:   Amazing as stock

scott ransom 10 carbon

I have bought a Scott ransom 10 carbon. I need to adjust the rear equaliser as the previous owner was 16 stone and I'm 12. Do I need a specific Scott equaliser pump??Read More »

cannondale moto 1 vs scott ransom 10

very interested in an all mountain bike that i can travel with and do some technical climbs and downhills with but also is good enough for single track. i would like to hear any feedback you guys have because these two bikes aren't very accessible around here in wisconsin.Read More »

2006 Scott Ransom 10 - thoughts?

Ok, so I pulled the trigger on a new 2006 Scott Ransom 10 large and am wondering if anyone else either has or has ridden this bike? I have a CR1 roadbike and love it. Some things have come up and I might have to sell it. Is it worth the money? I have a 2000 Trek 8500 now that does everything I ... Read More »

Brand New SCOTT RANSOM 10 - any takers?

I have a 2006 SCOTT Ransom 10 (large) on order - it will be here Friday. Some things have come up and I can't afford to keep it (it costs more than my car...hehe). First $5000 takes it. Retail is $5799 [email]wishiwasflying@gmail.com[/email] check it out at [url]www.scottusa.com[/url]Read More »

Ransom 10 or Ransom 20 - which is better value for money

I was thinking about one of those, however they are both quite expensive. It came down whether Ransom 10 is worth those extra bucks or it is just gimmick and Ransom 20 should do the job. So what do you people think about that? Is it really worth paying more at the beginning?Read More »