Scott Genius 50 All Mountain Full Suspension

2.5/5 (2 Reviews)

• Genius Alloy 6061 Custom Butted
  • hydroformed monocoque tubes with replaceable hanger
  • sealed aircraft bearings
  • 12.80 kg / 28.19 lbs

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by LiquidSpin a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2015

Strengths:    Frame and suspension. The frame is light yet durable. Well built in all aspects. Also the graphics and color choices were top notch for it's time back in 2012.

Weaknesses:    Spec's but can't really complain as this is the low end model. So it's going to come with low end specs. The rear shock from DT Swiss never gave me any issues. I'm a light weight though. I weigh 142lbs and the rear pull shock never let me down. However, it never felt smooth like Fox or Rockshox. I'm glad Scott collaborated with Fox and developed the Fox Nude rear shock. Overall improvement.

Bottom Line:
    After 3.5 years of riding many trails with this bike I can honestly say it's been a lot of fun. I can only imagine how much better my ride experience would have been if I could've afforded the Genius 10 model with all the top of the line spec's and much lighter Carbon frame. Alas, the 50 model wasn't bad at all. I made a few modification that made it all the better. By ditching the 3x10 drivetrain to a 1x10 (34t front and 11-40 rear) Adding lighter Spank Oozy rims and swapping the Avid Elixer 2's with Elixer 5's made the bike more capable and fun to ride. I've hit the bike park on this and rode everything from green trails to double black diamond trails. Of course I couldn't ride aggressive on black trails but it handled it well. Especially for a bike with a slightly steeper headtube angle (69 degrees I believe)

I felt very confident on the bike and at times I would ride pretty damn fast and get into situations where I kinda wish I had a better front fork. It comes with a Fox 32 150mm fork. It's fine for XC trails but you can tell it starts to come apart a little on rougher terrain at higher speeds. Flex is felt in rougher terrain and I believe a Fox 34 would have been great but at the time a 34 Fox fork wasn't even an option as it didn't exist in 2012. Basically it makes you a little uncomfortable.

This bike may now be outdated by modern bikes today but nevertheless this bike still handles like a champ. I've been riding with friends and fellow mtbr's on fancier rides and either kept up or blew right by them. OK, maybe it was due to me being in shape but still, my bike kept up and handled just about any trail I hit. A true testament in the Scott brand. They truly do make quality bikes.

I'm so impressed with my 2012 Genius 50 that I've now upgraded to a 2016 Scott Genius 710. That's how much this bike impressed me over the 3.5 stay with Scott and to get a bike nearly double the price of the old.

Favorite Trail:   Shaeffer Farms / Fountainhead

DMR Brendog Vault pedals
    Avid Elixer 5 brakes

Submitted by Vamtn a Weekend Warrior from Fredericksburg Va

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2012

Strengths:    Genius Shock, Frame geometry

Weaknesses:    That would be the Scott company itself. Horrible customer service and warranty.

Bottom Line:
    The bike and the Genius shock are incredible! I had doubts about the two stage lockout, but it really is engineered to work well. Sometimes better than my Fox RP23. The complete lock out is like a hard tail. This bike can really climb. Go back to full suspension and the 150mm travel is sweet. Takes a while to get it dialed in, but worth it once you do. I have two of these bikes. One for me and one for my son. Unfortunately the shock went out on mine the first ride - with less than four miles on it and in less than an hour. The Scott company dragged their feet on the warranty. Yes, it was eventually fixed. Overall, great bike - when it works. If not, good luck dealing with Scott. My LBS was terrific, but they can only do so much. 1 pepper because Scott warranty stinks. 5 peppers if they had actually done their job and for the design itself.

Favorite Trail:   Signal Knob - Fountainhead