Scott Genius 20 All Mountain Full Suspension

• 12.30 kg / 27.09 lbs

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by wipeout2008 a Cross Country Rider from Campbellton NB Canada

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2011

Strengths:    Versatile, very good all round bike(if you only have one bithe, this is the one). Light for 150mm travel, Good components. Tough. Great on climbs

Bottom Line:
    This review if for the 2009 Genius 40

This bike does everything well. I used it for 2yrs as my XC race bike now I use it mostly as my park bike. Was at first very twitchy doing DH. Put wider bars and now it rides great. To me if you only own one bike, this is it. It is very tough, never had any issues with it other then a broken derailleur hanger. I set up the front/back suspensions and have never had to touch them since. A bit tricky to set up but once you got it is sweet. A 4" travel the bike is stiff like a XC race bike and geometry is aggressive. Switch to 6" and geometry relaxes and the suspension front/back becomes much more mellow.

I highly recommend this bike for week end warriors, trail riders and all mountain riders, which is about 90% of us.

Favorite Trail:   Sugarloaf Park

Purchased At:   Pro X Sports

Similar Products Used:   Various Scott and other brands mostly XC bikes.

Bike Setup:   28" bars, ODI lock grips rest is stock.

Submitted by DIOGO a Weekend Warrior from BR - ES - CASTELO

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2011

Strengths:    I could pass the site of the store that you buy the bike?

Weaknesses:    I could pass the site of the store that you buy the bike?

Bottom Line:
    I could pass the site of the store that you buy the bike?

Favorite Trail:   BR - ES - CASTELO

Purchased At:   0

Similar Products Used:   I could pass the site of the store that you buy the bike?

Bike Setup:   I could pass the site of the store that you buy the bike?

Submitted by midas a Cross Country Rider from Greece

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2011

Strengths:    durable carbon construction that eats up trail "chatter", accelerates like no other, great pop for jumps

Weaknesses:    where to start? awfull rear shock (hard to set-up, no way to know how much travel you use, expensive to service, inconsistent performance, unreliable), too much travel for xc-racing, too nervous for all-mountain riding, little small bump compliance, slack seatpost angle.

Bottom Line:
    This is my review of the 2009 model of the Genius 30 as this is the nearest category for it.

I bought this bike believing it to be in the 'all-mountain' category as Scott descibed it at the time.
    It was so much better in almost every way than my previous Scott MC-40 that for the first months of riding it I was enthusiastic about it.
    It actually helped me progress with my riding, as it was enough confidence-inspiring to try my first drops, bunny hops, laying it into turns etc.
    BUT, as I started trading bikes with friends, I noticed that I was going much faster on their bikes, and that at the end of the ride they would always complain about how nervous the ride on the Genius was.

For my height, with the front fork set at max travel, the handlebars are 8cms lower from the seat, that alone indicates an aggressive racing position (but then, why the slack seatpost angle?).
    To cut a long story short, I think that the Genius is targeted towards a very specific target, ie a rider that needs a light long-travel race bike,
    for those races where there is technical riding involved - and for that I would suggest that you go for the higher models. (I did ride the 10 which is lighter & stiffer, now THAT is a bike with a purpose)
    The Genius design is half trail/half race bike, there are lots of better bikes for trail riding - every other bike I did have the chance to ride was more suited to it.
    Finally, I should mention that I have blown one shock pump (as you have to pump the shock at really high pressure each time before a ride) & two rear shocks and that DTSwiss each time replaced them under guarantee.

I'm not going to give it top marks because of the rear shock and also because of the poor rear-wheel traction. Does that matter to a XC-racer? you decide.
    Also, I think that for what it costs, you get a top quality frame plus a very good selection of components, so I'm giving it four chillis for value for money

Favorite Trail:   St. George's

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   older 'MC' version, Giant Trance, Giant Reign, Yeti 575, Spec Enduro SL, Turner 5Spot, 2010 Genius 10

Bike Setup:   Talas converted to Float 140 as the bike could not handle the 150mm setting, drivetrain 2x9 to suit my riding

2x9 conversion genius 20

i have a genius 20 2009 stock deore xt cranks Changing to a 2x9 setup vs my 3x9 current any suggestions what, how, what to use, not to use, tips..? thanks!Read More »

2012 Marin T3 XM8 or 2012 Scott Genius 20 ??

Well in short, i can get a killer deal on either bike through my work but was wondering if it was up to you guys what would you choose? I'm on the edge about the equalizer rear shock on the Scott but i also think that the Scott has more Carbon technology and strength into there frame than Marin, bu ... Read More »

What do yall think a 2010 Scott Genius 20 is worth?

Sorry to have to ask, but I honestly have no idea what the thing is worth. 2010 Scott Genius 20, almost bone stock. (everything but the seat, which will be a speed V) Looks like this: [IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab258/laxman2001/Fox%20Creek%20Chocolate%20Gulch%20July%203%202010/P10 ... Read More »

Fox 36 Talas 160mm fork on a 2009 Scott Genius 20

Howdy, Anyone here have any experience running a Fox 36 on a Genius? I realize that the extra 10mm of travel will change the geometry a bit but do you think it'd apply too much extra leverage on the head tube for AM riding? I'm not really looking to take any large hits with this bike but some ext ... Read More »

Genius 20 - Equalizer 2 Setup Tips?

I'm having one heck of a time getting the rear shock "dialed" to my liking on the Genius 20. Man does it take a whole lot of pressure and with the pull-style shock, it's hard to tell if I'm even getting the sag right. I'm following the chart on the side of the shock for my 175 lb riding weight. I ... Read More »