Rocky Mountain Slayer 70 All Mountain Full Suspension

• Head Set: FSA Orbit
  • Seat Post: Race Face Deus
  • Saddle: SDG Grand Prix

Rocky Mountain Slayer 70 Pro Review

Rocky Mountain’s goal for the latest iteration of their famed Slayer bike line was to create a world class All-Mountain/Enduro/DH adventure cycle machine. Easy to pedal, light weight, and fantastic on the downhills. Did they meet these goals? To achieve this, Rocky Mountain needed to design the latest Slayer from a clean slate. The engineers at Rocky Mountain chose a slightly modified four-bar platform for the suspension. Continue reading →

Submitted by Taylor a Racer from Denver,CO

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2007

Strengths:    Plush suspension, good descender,

Weaknesses:    Not a very good clmber and I've had a couple problems with the XT components, thats about it

Bottom Line:
Ive been racing with this bike for over a year now and have loved it. It isnt a very good climber, but it makes up for it in its dowhilling capability. I bought this bike used in great condition when I needed a race bike quickely and have yet to be dissappointed. Overall this is a reliable bike that can take almost anything you throw at it.

Favorite Trail:   any of them

Purchased At:   Used

Bike Setup:   All stock except for grips and tires

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2006

Strengths:    components, frame build quality, overall package, light overall weight for a 5+5 inch travel bike (sub 29 pounds), XT discs are excellent, Deus cranks are super-stiff, RP3 is fantastic, Vanilla 130RLC is heaven now that I have the right spring in it.

Weaknesses:    stock tires (boat anchors).

Bottom Line:
I'm 6'0" and weigh about 220 with my gear. This is my "play bike". I loved my last ride (Palomino), but it spent a lot of time in the shop with broken parts. Being a big guy and an aggressive XC rider, I figured it was time for stronger equipment.
I first rode a Slayer at a demo day at Kelso. I rode many bikes that day and the Slayer was the only one I liked better than my Palomino and it really put a smile on my face. I fluked upon it as I rode this while waiting to test ride an ETS-X. he test bike had Serac 2.1 tires on it.

I bought my actual bike a month later off e-bay, and after my first ride on local trails, I thought I had made a mistake. I couldn't climb and it felt like the bike wouldn't roll. I read some reviews and immediately swapped out the tires to the Fires. This transformed the bike completely. The bike climbs extremely well for what it is, and descends like a dream (compared to my prior bikes). Overall, I feel I can ride trails that I wouldn't have dared to try on my Palomino for fear of breaking it or myself.
You won't win any XC races on this one, but if you are looking for a relaible bike for all day epic rides and all types of trail riding, this may be the bike for you.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   2003 Klein Palomino Race Disc,

Bike Setup:   Large 2005 Slayer 70, stock with the exception of a Specialized BG saddle, Crank Brothers Candy pedals, Panaracer Fire XC 2.1 tires. Under 29 pounds

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, Colorado

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2006

Strengths:    It's a Rocky Mountain... nuf said there. Got a great price that included a complete rider evaluation and bike fit. Thanks Sports Garage!

Weaknesses:    Shimano components

Bottom Line:
My racing days are over and I have been looking for a full suspension bike for sometime now. I've been borrowing friends full suspension bikes for years... and to be honest, I was never really that impressed with the offerings. I started doing my homework and researched everything I could. Then I started shopping around and demo'ing everything I could. I fell in love with the Slayer. The bike fit me perfect... It immediatly felt like an extension of my body... I didn't have to think about the bike! I just rode! The shop I purchased the bike from was clearing out the 05's... So I got a great price. Plus, I rode the new '06 Slayer and thought it was a bit of an overkill on the travel/freeride feel. I liked the '05 better. I think if your not looking for a race bike, want at least 5" of travel and want a bike that can climb and stick to the trail like velcro, the Slayer is an easy choice.

It's only been about 3 months and about 500 miles... but so far everything is has been great except for the common Shimano component gremlins. I will be slowly upgrading all worn out Shimano components to SRAM, which should be in another 6 months! I will say this, the XT Disk brakes are really amazing, the best disk brakes I've ever used. Great feel/power and reasonably light.

The Fox RP3 is worth the extra money for those out there that have the choice. It's very tuneable, reliable and plush. The indents for the ProPedal lever suck, but I guess for '06 Fox have fixed this problem. My old bike has a Fox Talas fork, which I love. But I'll be honest, I really like this Vanilla RLC 130 on the Slayer. I've been very surprised how well this shock works throughout the full range of travel. Ramps up nicely and never feels harsh, unlike my Talas at times.

I'll write a follow up in the next 6 months and give you all a better long term evaluation. In the meantime... ride my friends!

Favorite Trail:   Impossible to pick just one!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Sports Garage

Similar Products Used:   Giant Reign, Yeti 575, Specialized StumpJumper 120, Kline Palamino

Bike Setup:   Full Shimano XT, Disk Brakes, Race Face, Maxxis, Fox Vanilla RLC, Fox RP3, Upgraded Mavic Crossmax Wheelset, Upgraded Saddle.

Submitted by Tariq a Weekend Warrior from Santa Barbara, CA

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2005

Strengths:    Suspension, components. THis bike is plush, my downhill riding has already improved.

Weaknesses:    none yet. it may take some time getting used to the XT shifter/brake combo

Bottom Line:
best bike I've ever ridden, I was a little bit worried spending close to $3K on a bike, but after riding it the money was well spent.

Favorite Trail:   Romero Canyon

Purchased At:   Supergo

Submitted by Ken B a Racer from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2005

Strengths:    This bike is best for Epic rides. Long days of single track, big climbs where you earn killer descents. I'm an xc racer and this is my "fun bike". Lots of plush travel that climbs better than a hard tail on steep, uneven terrain. The Fox Float RP3 in the rear stays active. I run it on Pro Pedal for single track, double Pro Pedal for the climbs, and wide open on the way down. If you are looking for an all day fun ride, this is an awesome bike.

Weaknesses:    It does not clean itself? Oh, it does not have a bottle opener like the Santa Cruz Heckler…

Bottom Line:
If you love to go down, but want to earn it, this is your bike. 30 lbs of plush 5" joy.

Favorite Trail:   Surveyor’s Ridge, Hood River, OR

Purchased At:   Gregg's Greenlake Cycle

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by steve a Cross Country Rider from salt lake city, utah, usa

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2005

Strengths:    nice geometry
nice looks
nice components

Weaknesses:    ugly seat

Bottom Line:
This thing is a Cadillac. Shimano haters won't like the component mix (all XT) but I do. Swapped out the stock Raceface Deus crankset for XT...based largly on the reviews the Deus suffered here!!! The riding position is kinda stretched out like a Gary Fisher and is quite comfortable, and when I stand up the pedal bob is negligable. Everyone tells me this is a "really nice bike," and I'm starting to believe them!!! Also 5 chilis for Cyclepaths in Tahoe (Ca.)!!!! These guys rock...they didn't gripe when I had them unbox this thing to swap out the crankset. I highly recommend this bike shop!!!!

Favorite Trail:   any and all

Purchased At:   Cyclepaths (Lake Tahoe, Ca.)

Similar Products Used:   Kikapu Deluxe
Klein Attitude

Bike Setup:   stock except XT crankset

Submitted by hatake a Weekend Warrior from Denver, Colorado

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2005

Strengths:    Time proven 3D linkage (a type of 4-bar) absorbs the big hits in a very plush manner. Confidence building excellent handling even in a rock garden with the Fox shocks. ProPedal rear shock has no lock out, but noticeable reduction in the bob when engaged. Very stiff frame, not to mention beautiful graphics. With full XT components with Dual Control (except crankset), this is a steal deal.

Weaknesses:    If I dare say, a mixed combination of a heavy seat, and downhill specific tires with other light components has a puzzling effect - maybe it's not for a long trail ride. That’s not the bike’s weakness, however. Some may think this is a heavier set (29.2 lb), but this bike isn’t intended for a cross country racers. So far, after miles and miles of single tracks, and 4 thousand vertical feet up/down, sometimes in the rock garden, I haven't found a weakness.

Bottom Line:
4-bar suspension works beautifully, even under braking. Propels uphill like a champ (as long as you are willing – remember, this is not a racer bike) especially with ProPedal engaged. I had Manitou Black Elite with 120mm travel, but Fox is way superior to those cheap plastic garbage. It utilizes all length of the travel, so you’ll get an honest 130mm travel, which is essential in rock-infested downhill. Combined with a flawless components (drive train, brakes, shock, folk), it makes one of the best trail bikes around. Price advantage is another factor – all this for $2,200? You must be an insane biker to turn away from this machine!

Favorite Trail:   Argentina Pass