Rocky Mountain Slayer 50 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.45/5 (11 Reviews)

From out-the-door, last-minute local ripping to sunrise-to-sundown backcountry epics, the Rocky Mountain Slayer's ready for your dirty pleasure. With a pedal-friendly riding position, efficient suspension, and a stiff chassis matched to a playful, downhill-savvy geometry, you'll conserve energy on the up and confidently rage down no matter where you ride.

Submitted by Bug with a haircut

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2013

Strengths:    Super snappy and responsive with lots o shock but still pedals really well.

Weaknesses:    Had issues with fox shox but they fixed it.

Bottom Line:
This bike is more like riding a spaceship than a bicycle. The suspension feels great, nice and squishy on the downhill but feels nice and firm on the uphill with the propedal on. It corners really well for a 160 I think it's the low bottom bracket. Some people complain they wack their pedals but I haven't had this problem it's easy to adjust your riding style to this anyway and it's worth it for how well it handles. You can really throw it around and manual easily or being considering the weight, and like the previous reviewer said you really don't notice the weight. I things the geometry totally cancels the weight factor. I'm reviewing the 2012 which may be a little different and in my option has a much better component pack and is an insane deal if you can still find one around. Also I put a gravity dropper on mine which is really a huge improvement for my riding since I don't really do much shuttle. I do ride occasional downhill trails and the bike feels super solid and never under equipped. Badass bike.

Duration Product Used:   About a year

Submitted by Matt

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2013

Strengths:    Quick, snappy, firm yet plush, it's named Slayer! Solid component spec

Weaknesses:    Might be a shade over 30 pounds, but its a 170 mm bike and it defiantly hide its weight well. Came with 750 mm wide bars, crazy I find those narrow.

Bottom Line:
I have only one ride on the '13 Slayer and my initial impression is that this bike rips! Acceleration is quick and snappy, responsiveness is great, a firm yet plush ride and the bike just loves being pushed and buried into any berm in sight. It climbs very well for a 170mm travel bike and is incredibly more playful than my 2012 Nomad(sold), likely a result of shorter chain stays(0.7 inches shorter). On a side note the ease of setting up the Rock Shox suspension is so simple and felt great on the 1st go-round. Take what I say with a grain of salt, I have only one ride, but I have ridden a few bike and know what feels good.

Submitted by Samson PK

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2012

Strengths:    Solid build-excellent handeling and cornering, very well engineered solid linkage.

Weaknesses:    Ardent tires aren't the best in wet and muddy trails but who complains about tires anyway.

Bottom Line:
After 15 years of riding mountain bikes I can honestly say this is an excellently made bike. I can't say enough about the handling and the plush ride, it just floats over the tough stuff but still snaps around corners. It's been a very solid feeling and dependable bike so far, albeit I've only had it for a couple if months. I'd be surprised if anything major went wrong though, it's an increadably stout build, frame and linkage. Really sweet well engineered bike!

Similar Products Used:   Specialized enduro

Submitted by Albe

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2012

Strengths:    Bike is good riding up and down. Strong bike

Weaknesses:    No weakness now

Bottom Line:
this bike is riding great for every type of riding. Long XC riding is really comfortable and pedals excellent with very smooth feel but superior in rough downhill. Holds strong in any conditions and very dependable. Allows me to go much faster than previous bikes. Excellent value, looks attractive and rides powerful. Great bike highly recommended.

Submitted by avishade

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2012

Strengths:    Ride, looks, price

Weaknesses:    A few minor mishaps but great customer service.

Bottom Line:
The bike charges. Its super fun to ride, it bombs down, rails corners and airs like a champ.That's to be expected from a bike built like this, but its really surprising how well it climbs. Its super smooth and doesn't loose traction and will manual over anything. The headset broke and the front hub was loose, but the headset was warrantied by the shop and the hub just needed the bearings pressed in all the way. The RM customer service for the wheel was great, super simple with a fast response which is really important for me since there isn't a rm dealer within 100 miles from me so I had to deal with them directly and they don't typically do that. The bike is so fun to ride and well built that I dont consider these few early mishaps. Also these 2012 bikes are CHEAP. I just saw the 2013 models and they don't look as good with the grey paintjob and the components aren't nearly as good. Go for a 2012, they are the sh!t!

Submitted by Guermo the Gringo

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2012

Strengths:    Climbing prowress, DH worthy, amazing parts spec for the money, well built and burly while maintaining a respectable weight. Looks pimp.

Weaknesses:    Nothing yet

Bottom Line:
I ride about 3 to 4 times per week on all types of trails. The first thing that really sold me on this bike is how easily I climbed a very technical local favorite. Normally its a crap shoot weather I make all the moves but first ride out I cleaned every move and found my self laughing all the way up. The rear tyre just stays glued to the ground and with the straigh-up seat tube angle, you get very little front wheel wander. Descending this monster takes some getting used to. The slack head angle and 6+ inches of travel make it almost too easy. I found myself riding like a moron and just going over everything instead of picking my lines....This isn't a bad problem to have. The build kit is phenomenal for the price too. Get one, you'll be more than pleased.

Submitted by Beefontaine a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2012

Strengths:    The ride

Weaknesses:    The price, the headset.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike. Everything about the way it rides from downhill handling and braking, to the uphill pedaling the bike rides super smooth and fun. Very efficient design that looks badass too. No extra junk and the tubing forms kind of look like bones which give it a pissed off look. super fun ride, a total bomber that pedals really well. The stock headset is junk, with a plastic topcup that broke after 2 rides, but was warrantied with an upgrade to the cane creek 40 so I can't complain much about that. You can get great deals on them at jenson and some other places right now but I still think 2500 is too much for a bicycle so I only gave it 4 chilis for value but it's a way better deal than anything else at this price.

Duration Product Used:   3months

Submitted by Gost tar a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2012

Strengths:    Handling, cornering, balance, climbing, braking, everything

Weaknesses:    There is no weakness in this bike.

Bottom Line:
This is by far the best bike in its class. It pedals better than most 150mm bikes and descends better than any other 160 bike I've tried and I rode quite a few before buying the slayer. It sticks to the ground like glue on corners and holds a line better than the rest. It's super stiff and the fox suspension is super smooth. The formula braking is superb. By far the best deal out there, if you can get your hand on one get it while you can, these bikes will get more expensive.

Bike Setup:   Slayer 50 stock

Submitted by Bigmarv a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2012

Strengths:    Big burly beast, handles anything. Awesome build. Climbs way better than other bikes with similar travel. Super durable so far. Makes you strong. It's called a slayer.

Weaknesses:    You might want to swap out the seat post or the stem to make the cockpit longer.

Bottom Line:
This is for the 2012 new smooth link not the older single pivot. Awesome bike. It's turned my balls to brass. The handling downhill is unbeleivable and its a great climber, way better then the enduro and norco that I've ridden. Haven't had anything fail or brake and I've been riding it for 8 months and I'm a big guy and I brake stuff. The cockpit might seem short depending on what you're coming from, but it's no shorter than a Santa Cruz bike or a lot of there on the market. I had to write this review because the last to reviewers are reviewing the old model and giving the slayer a bad rep. The old review about the customer service probably did something to void the warranty, I've always heard RM has great customer service. Can't fade the slayer.

Bike Setup:   Stock 50 2012

Submitted by leonwhitaker2000 a Cross Country Rider from Pineville, NC

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2009

Strengths:    Rides well, climbs well for a heavy bike, takes downhills incredibly. Super smooth in the rough stuff.

Weaknesses:    weak swingarm...but there is an updated one. a little on the heavy side. Raceface crankset that comes on it sucks. Ground clearance a little too low for me.

Bottom Line:
I've had two warranty issues and both were handles easily by Rocky. The frame broke at the seat post and they took care of it and were nice enough to give me a bigger frame size as the first one I purchased was too small for me. The swingarm broke and that was handled quickly as well, and they sent an updated stronger version. I suppose you could say that two frame breaks in two years is a problem, but not when the company takes care of it. Plus I consider the first one my fault for buying too small of a frame.