Rocky Mountain Slayer 30 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

If you can only buy one AM rig and youTrend moreTowards DHThenThe Slayer isThe bike for you. The designers at Rocky Mountain were lookingTo pushThe evolution ofThe AM category by creating a lightweight, yet durable bikeThat could climb as well as it could rip downhill. Using creative design features such as a light, strong, integrated rocker pivot, 2 piece bottom bracket shell and using an e-type derailleurThat bolts ontoThe swing arm,The designers at Rocky Mountain were ableTo create aTruly AL

Submitted by Ace

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2012

Strengths:    2012 version climbs as good or better than any hardtail I have ever riden. It is also quick, nimble and strong in the decents. Love the RP2 rear shock, I was a sceptic that the propedal setting would actually do anything but it performed beautifully.

Weaknesses:    Head set sucks, it came lose and cracked the top cap so I upgraded to the cane creek 40 like what is on the slayer 70. All round cheaper parts than the 50 and 70.

Bottom Line:
You may have to upgrade some parts (marzocchi doesn't have the best track record in my books) on it later on but it is an excellent bike and performs like an all mountian bike should.

Submitted by 5bravobravo a Cross Country Rider from Mesa, Az,USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2010

Strengths:    Bought this bike used, it is extensively upgraded. Bike is light enough to ride XC, beefy beyond compare...Climbs like a goat, handles tight technical rocky terrain very well..

Weaknesses:    A little heavy, but pretty light in its class, not bad at all for what it can do.

Bottom Line:
All around the most incredible bike I have ridden. I can clear amazing obstacles with it, and scream down the rough hills with confidence. Frame appears indestructible and the linkage is slop free and smooth...I will ride this bike until it is used up..

Favorite Trail:   Twisted Sister

Purchased At:   All over

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR, Titus Quazi-Moto, Sette Ace,

Bike Setup:   DT swiss 5.1 wheels with 340 hubs, SRAM X9 drivetrain with SLX cranks, RC3 shock and Marz fifty five fork, RMB stem, thompson elite post, crankbros acid pedals.Kenda nevegal 2.35 front, excavator rear.

Submitted by Frankie591 a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2009

Strengths:    rear suspension is bottomless, eats up every drop I am willing to try

Weaknesses:    stock fork would be garbage, was replaced with a float 36 RC2

Bottom Line:
Great all-mountain bike for the money. Sacrifice a little on the climbs, but more than makes up for it with its dh ability. Funnest bike I have ever ridden, hands down.

Favorite Trail:   Vapour

Purchased At:   private sale

Similar Products Used:   giant anthem

Bike Setup:   36 float RC2, synchros wheels, minion dhr rubber, thompson post, ea50 cockpit, scott dh stem

Submitted by Slayer_JJ a Downhiller from Tucson Az

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2008

Strengths:    Durrable, comfort, smooth, good components

Weaknesses:    None than I can think of

Bottom Line:
wow. It started out stock, but with a few minor upgrades, i'm not affrait to go anywhere on this thing. Its still light enough for a trail bike. Freeride and downhill feel so good on this bike. It feels bottomless with the suspension set up. Its gonna be hard for me to find anything comparable.

Purchased At:   Arizona Cyclist

Bike Setup:   Nothin too much stock. I'm rinning a 66 RC3, fox 5.0 coil, mavic dee tracks, and kenda excavatorts', mrp world champion with a 38 tooth.

Submitted by Chuck a Weekend Warrior from Longmont, CO

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2008

Strengths:    Pretty much everything except the fork

Weaknesses:    Fork

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money - best all around bike I have ever ridden. A bit heavy but I sense that will come in handy on the big downhills. The frame is rock solid, shifting is lexus like, very nimble.

Favorite Trail:   Kokopelli