Pivot Cycles Mach 5 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.96/5 (73 Reviews)

The Pivot Cycles Mach 5 was made to perform during long days in the saddle. With a full 5.3" of travel, the Mach 5 is positioned right between our Mach 4 and Mach 5.7, making it the ultimate trail bike with the soul of a cross country rig. It's meant to cover the spectrum of 24 hour racing and all-day in-the-saddle rides, with the ability to devour technical descents.

Submitted by AkiliRonin a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2013

Strengths:    Feedback, Comfort

Weaknesses:    Front derailleur adjustment access

Bottom Line:
I only have good things to say about this bike. I am 5'10", 32" inseam, and athletic at 200 lbs (I run up hills for fun) I mention dimensions only to speak about the comfort of this bike. We all know riders with these dimension fit in the 'between' area as far as sizing goes. Pivot Mach 5 medium geometry fits me perfectly. Moving all this weight is not as easy as it looks. I have been out all day in the Northern California heat and the muggy Reinland Valley doing what a man of my stature considers 'tear-assing' around single track. I never end a rides on my Mach 5 with sensations of being over exhausted. The bike simply saves energy. I go distance, and push as hard as possible consistently. The experience of riding this bike is unparalleled in my experience thus far. A true companion for epics! Of course the DW link has much to add to this. Climbing is control here. Technical descents are simplified. The application on open wide dirt, hard pack, and fire roads does not seem uncharacteristic for this dual suspension machine. It really does it all, with great stability, feedback, and comfort.

One year of ownership and the only complaint I have is access to front the derailleur. This issue is brought up in many interviews. Regardless of that, my Mach 5 represents my instinct rather well. The torsional rigidity, weight and predictable strength of the frame bring expectations of longevity. I have not needed to make component upgrades from the stock purchase. (although, always changing pedals and saddle) From my perspective this is a great company with great vision and philosophy that makes great no-fluff bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Anything North of Santa Barbara

XR4 EXP rear
Time ATAC XS pedals

Submitted by Trail biker a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2012

Strengths:    TRACTION under every condition, eficiency, climbing on loose dirt, stiffnes to weight, plushness, cornering and downhill stability ( low bb). The Dw-link really does some magic, a bike with this travel should not climb so well!!

Weaknesses:    Nothing really, just personal preferences like tires and grips.. Tricky cable routing maybe...Really trying hard here...

Bottom Line:
I come from a XC background and wanted something burlier but without compromise in eficiency. I also wanted something for the long term and a bike that you can set it and forget it. The mach 5.7 delivered it all.

I have been riding the bike for 18 months now and the bike still amazes me on every ride! My friends say that riding the mach 5.7 is cheating. It simply has it all, great stiffness, traction and amazing cornering, climbs better than many 4" xc bikes, flyes downhill like bigger bikes and the weight is pretty acceptable, even for an ex XC Weenie.

I think the bike is perfect for those who like to log big miles on all kinds of terrain, the plush suspension really saves your legs on long epic rides. Overall I am very pleased wvith the bike and if it got stolen would definately buy it again, maybe in carbon this time!!

I got mine in black with red details and really like the match, dont get why ppl complain about the colours...

If you have the chance, demo it. I'm sure you wont be disapointed.

Favorite Trail:   you will never know it

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Giant anthem, Titus racer x, many others...

Bike Setup:   Xt with upgrades, 140mm fork.

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2012

Strengths:    reliability, strength, speed, good looks

Weaknesses:    If the bike is not set up or ridden right it is unforgiving and will hurl you off.

Bottom Line:
This is a terrific bike, it can be a Cross Country racer or All Mountain Weapon, my feeling after 3.5 years of riding this bike, there is no in between, you set it up light or strong. Some days I hate riding it, other days it is magic ,the trail can either flow or be your enemy. If you are a new MTB rider dont buy this bike, if you are intermediate you will love it. I have found that you need to ride this bike aggressively, abuse it while railing a corner or smashing a hill then chuck it in the garage dirty after you have finished a ride, The bike will be ready again the next day after a few miserly drops of oil on the chain. If you want tough this is the bike you need. Honestly I cant think of another bike I want to ride as there are not many that are better than a Mach 5, technology has moved on from 2009 but not significantly enough to warrant a change to a new platform.

Favorite Trail:   Mad Butcher at Woodhill MTB Park

Duration Product Used:   3.5 years

Purchased At:   Bike Tech Mt Welling

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro

Bike Setup:   09 Fulcrum Red Metal 3, 09 Fox RLC talas and RP23, Avid Juicy 5, Shimano XT, SRAM X9

Submitted by newagespeed a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2012

Strengths:    this really is a "no BS" do all bike...super stable because it is very predictable...super geometry with suspension to match

Weaknesses:    150 fork can make the front a bit twitchy on steep up-hills....we have the hills to prove that
mud shedding ability (or lack of) around the rear wheel suspension can make for a very long day if you ride deep mud with leaves, branches and all the other crud...actually ripped my rear derailleur bracket in half from the rear triangle being so jammed...carry a spare with your chain quick link!

Bottom Line:
This bike seamlessly blends the line between all-mountain and XC...given enough time to really let the bike run makes every ride better and better. From 30 foot tree trunk beams to 6 foot drops to tight rock gardens to fast single track to ski hills....this bike doesn't give a sh!t....if you can dare it the bike will get you through
Swapped out the 150 fork and CaneCreek adjustable headset (check out how many are on pinkbike...they truly suck IMO) and went back to tapered headset (Chris King is the best!) with 140 fox TALAS this time....climbs much better and is stiffer when steering with noticably less flex....oh, and Kashima does matter!
If you can put on some Formula R1's this bike becomes a trail missle with pinpoint control...with Easton Havens UST, 2X10 XTR and some other goodies I am down to 23 pounds....all that is irrelevant without a great bike to start...this bike is a great bike FROM the start!
My bottom bracket too is on its way out after just a year as per other review...I thank that writer for the suggestion of Enduro bearing and will go that route. I'll agree that for the type of riding "advertised" a press bearing may not have been ideal.
The bike is very predictable and will go right where you steer it despite a higher bottom bracket height. Most of that height is "lowered" when the rear is set for 25% sag as advised by Pivot. It really allows you to use weight distribution to get over/through everything as long as you let it go...the faster you attack the obstacles the better the bike handles them. Very well balanced bike and superb geometry and suspension. It does climb great but does take some getting used to the taller front end and slacker rake of the front fork...Having a TALAS fork with 140 mm and 110 mm options makes a huge difference and allows the day to be enjoyed going up and down the mountain...I enjoy working hard to get up ANY hill but am not a fan of struggling because the bike geometry is not suited. Having had a 19 pound Specialized Stumpjumper hard tail the Pivot may have an unfair comparison to go against. That said the Pivot does climb much better than my hard tail when standing up and over roots, rocks and any other obstacle that robs traction and momentum. The DW-Link really does work and bite the rear tire in to the ground with anti-squat geometry.
Had some friends try it while we rode Ellicotville and they all had some pretty big smiles on their faces with an evil "gleam" in their eyes...that says it all

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Submitted by Bob Engelhorn

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff, light, plush

Weaknesses:    Colors don't match

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my previous review. The bike is definitely a 5 star bike. It's light for a long travel trail bike, it's stiff laterally and is pretty plush in the original status. The Kashima coated RP23 is great, but I made it even better. PUSH is now working on these shocks and when I got it back from them, it was even more plush. I also added the Enduro needle bearings for the shock mountings and that made a difference as well. Combining the Kashima coating, the PUSH work and the shock needle bearings make for a really plush ride compared to the stock version.

My only complaint, which I got ripped for previously, is the lack of color conformity. For me, when I spend over $6000 for a bike, I want it to perform outstandingly well and look great. If you go to a World Cup race, guess what, the bikes look great and the companies try to match everything. I ended up buying a Pivot Lunch Box (black), because I was pissed at the fact that the colors didn't match. In my mind (and I know most people don't care about looks), everything should match. Now that I got the Lunch Box, everything is black and the bike looks great and performs really well.

Other than the color, there is one issue with the bike that I've run into. The pressed-in bottom bracket, in theory, is a good idea, but it lasted less than a year. The drive side was very rough so I ended up getting a RWC Enduro press-in bottom bracket instead of the Shimano version that Pivot uses. That solved that problem.

Overall, the bike is a great trail bike. I wish Pivot would get over the whole anti-squat issue and allow a longer travel fork, but right now I have a 150mm travel Revelation with a carbon crown (OMG, it's 5mm longer axle to crown, than the Fox 150) and a 2.4 inch Schwalbe Nobby Nic tire. That combination makes for a really nice front end. It still pedals really well, but the fat tire and longer axle to crown make for a really comfortable bike.

In any case, I'll still give it 5 stars because after all of my modifications, it looks great and performs great.

Submitted by SilverBACK

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2012

Strengths:    tracking, suspension feed back, responsive to all actions, push hard, DW Link

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
Just got this bike 2 days ago. It was old inventory in a Napa Valley bike shop. The owner was very decent on the pricing. So, the bike is dated, but unused/never demoed. I traded removed the shop dust on the Pivot M5 for some NorCal single track dirt. My life is different now. More to follow...

Submitted by Roadking1962

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2012

Strengths:    Efficient suspension design, great geometry, rugged frame.

Weaknesses:    Can be pricey. Color choices.

Bottom Line:
Love this bike! The suspension design really works. It's smooth and very efficient, no pro pedal needed even on climbs. The bike doesn't ride like it's a 6 inch travel bike but when you need it, the travel is there. The through axels at each end really stiffen the bike up as does the beefy headset. The bike handles like it's low to the ground yet I get less pedal strikes than I did on my prior bike. No regrets on my purchase.

Submitted by Steve S.

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2012

Strengths:    The DW Link on this bike works incredibly well. The frame is also crazy stiff.

Weaknesses:    Two things to note on this frame:

First, the cable routing on this bike is one of the worst I have seen. The cable housing stop on my medium frame is so close behind the head tube that I had to use Nokon housings to make the bend. Also, as the rear swingarm moves through it's range it basically forces both the shifter housings and brake line to bow outwards...this ends up as an annoying "knock" on the inside of your calf as you pedal. The housings also rub through the paint as they move around over time.

Second, the position of the front derailleur is too high. The front der on this frame bolts directly to the frame. This is nice and clean, but you cannot adjust the position as a result. The front der sits really high off the 42T ring, which makes it drag when in the 22T granny gear.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, but Pivot definitely needs to spend more time on the cable routing and front der. placement on the bike. As far as I have seen, these same issues exist on the Mach 5.7 as well.

Submitted by vincegt a Weekend Warrior from San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2012

Strengths:    High Speed Ascending, Technical Descent, Smooth, Corners like its on rails

Weaknesses:    Low Speed Ascent

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It is my first full suspension rig, so with nothing to compare to except a Giant Trance which I borrowed for one ride, I'm a bit biased (it kills the Trance). Smooth suspension, never complains. I got whacked in the eye by a branch while on a steep rocky technical descent, and I cleaned it with my eyes closed thanks to the forgiveness of this suspension. Climbing the steeps is no problem if you're in shape, but low-speed cornering becomes an issue (maybe just me). Great all-around bike.

Purchased At:   It's A Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   XT/SLX 2011 FOX Float 140 2012 FOX RP23 w/ Boost valve

Submitted by markokenya a Weekend Warrior from san francisco / marin

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2011

Strengths:    Precise steering
Great descender
Great clibmer

Weaknesses:    can be twitchy until you're used to it: let the bike roll, stay off the brakes;
chain clang quite a bit but who cares

Bottom Line:
This bike is the bomb! I'm getting more confident each ride. I had a Blur LT and loved it, but this climbs better, descends more precisely and handles switchbacks with nicer balance. All in all it's easier to have lots of confidence with this bike. Very stiff, very precise, very true.
I moved down from a large to a medium frame and also to a shorter stem, making the cockpit pretty cozy - but I'm already more used to it and able to make some stuff where I used to put a foot down on the BLT.

Favorite Trail:   tamarancho

Purchased At:   California Bike n Be

Similar Products Used:   Blur LT

Bike Setup:   Lyric U Turn 160 / XT / don't yet have my XT brakes

Submitted by nts550

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2011

Bottom Line:
This is my favorite bike ever!!! and I've ridden a lot of them.

Climbs great, descends better. I ride in muddy Welsh environments and this bike eats it up. Especially techy downhill...and even uphill. My build is a little heavy, so it's a fun bike, not a race bike. That said I could throw some lighter tires/wheels, parts and have an XC and Super D machine.

Similar Products Used:   lots: S-works epics, C-dale rush, Santa Cruz Blurs, 575, a couple 29ers, Enduro, Anthem 0, VT-0, lots of hardtails, Rocky Mountain Slayer

Bike Setup:   140mm Revalation, SRAM x-0, 2.4 tires Conti tires, Fulcrum wheels

Submitted by Ride or Die a Weekend Warrior from Eugene, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2011

Strengths:    Since I have only been riding this frame for a short while, I am still working on figuring out all of the true strengths it has. I can say that compared to my Enduro frame it is lighter, more efficient at pedaling and has to be one of the best all mountain bikes I have ever ridden. I do have it build a little more for aggressive riding with a Talas 36 on the front which adds a little extra weight, but really helps on the downhill.

Weaknesses:    I can say this bike does not have too many weaknesses, but to be truly honest I really wish they designed it with a practical water bottle holder position. The bottom of the bottom down tube I feel is pretty useless. The new Carbon version fixes this issue by having 2 mounts. Unfortunately I could not afford the Carbon version.

Bottom Line:
I can say this bike lives up to all of the hype that many other riders have stated. The DW suspension is amazing with the use of the Fox RP23. The first time out on this bike was pretty amazing and re assuring that I made the right decision to switch from my Enduro to the Mach 5.7. Extremely efficient with the capability to rip the downhill. If you are reading this review and deciding if you should purchase a Mach 5.7, I would say go for it and don't think twice! Ride on. :-)

Favorite Trail:   Too Many to choose from

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   2010 Specialized Enduro, Intense 5.5, Trek Ex 8, Yeti 575

Bike Setup:   Aluminum Mach 5.7, Dity 747 bars, Ouri Grips, X9 Shifters, XO Rear Der., XT Front Der., SLX 2X9 cranks with Bash guard, Specialized Command Post, Rocky Mountain Carbon front hub with Maxis 317 Wheels, XT Rear Hub with Maxis 317 Wheels, Fox Talas 36, FSA 70mm +/- 6 degree stem.

Submitted by ags a Weekend Warrior from Ramapo, New York

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2011

Strengths:    -Suspension design is fantastic. Nice job DW!
-Look and finish are top notch

Weaknesses:    -Still looking

Bottom Line:
For the longest time I was a proponent of the Horst Link 4-bar (FSR) design. Then I got a Giant and thought their Maestro was almost as good and even climbed better. Now that I have a Pivot 5.7 I realize the DW Link is the best of both. Maybe even better! Of course a great bike design is crucial and Pivot has hit the mark. My Mach 5.7 climbs like a 4" travel XC bike and bombs down the trails like a 7" travel freeride bike. This bike is fantastic and worth every penny.

It's taken me 3 rides to dial in the sag and suspension settings but now it rides like nothing I've ever owned.

Favorite Trail:   Ringwood

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   -Giant Trance XO
-Specialed SX Trail
-Intense 6.6

Bike Setup:   2012 XT with FSA components and Mavic ST wheels

Submitted by JonathanJ a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2011

Strengths:    Great peddling bike, loves to climb. Light. Great suspension.
The suspension is amazing.

Weaknesses:    Price else have not found.

Bottom Line:
This is my first LT bike. The bike is very light and stiff and strong. Very easy to control down hill and in tight turns I do recommend!!!!!!

Purchased At:   Single Track Israel

Similar Products Used:   Gary fisher cake 1.

Bike Setup:   2X10 XT, XT brakes, XT wheels, KS950i seat post.

Submitted by mustleaveplanet a Weekend Warrior from Cairns, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2011

Strengths:    Light, Stiff, DW Link makes square-edge hits feel non-existant, Amazing climber (Propedal really isn't even needed), Awesome descender too. The frame comes with Shimano XT bearings already pressed into the BB90 bottom bracket- nice!

Weaknesses:    ISCG mounts for a chainguide would be nice (Pivot does sell a clamp on adapter) and If i was to be really finicky i'd say the cable routing is abit messy around the shock and swing arm? not really anywhere else it can go though!!

Bottom Line:
The first impression I had was that the Mach 5.7 sat really low in it's sag. Having said that, the Pivot doesn't blow through it's travel as much as one would expect- It's not a free-rider (Thats what the Firebird is for) but it's definately aggressive trail-ride capable. The DW Link suspension is so smooth over rocks and exposed roots that it makes even the most supple forks up front feel relatively harsh! Suspension is fully active under brakes (another DW link selling point). This bike LOVES to climb; The front stays planted and the traction is phenomenal. Virtually no bob- Propedal isn't needed unless you're riding on the road. Unlike Iron Horse's DW link, Pivot's link really ramps up at the end of it's travel on the Mach5.7 so it's still easy to bunnyhop without that "dead" feeling. The 67degree head angle inspires confidence on techical decents and makes for stable high speed cornering. Pivot's bikes tend to err on longer wheelbase per frame size but it feels perfect to me. It's pretty much bang-on all round! I got this as a frame to replace my trusty 08 SC Heckler and I'm not regretting it. I've always liked the simplicity of a single pivot, but now i'm sold on the virtues of a well designed linkage frame. Definately try one out if you're on the market for a new ride.

Favorite Trail:   Black Snake, Caterpillar or anything fast and flowing