Pivot Cycles Mach 5 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.95/5 (57 Reviews)

The Pivot Cycles Mach 5 was made to perform during long days in the saddle. With a full 5.3" of travel, the Mach 5 is positioned right between our Mach 4 and Mach 5.7, making it the ultimate trail bike with the soul of a cross country rig. It's meant to cover the spectrum of 24 hour racing and all-day in-the-saddle rides, with the ability to devour technical descents.

Submitted by AkiliRonin a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2013

Strengths:    Feedback, Comfort

Weaknesses:    Front derailleur adjustment access

Bottom Line:
I only have good things to say about this bike. I am 5'10", 32" inseam, and athletic at 200 lbs (I run up hills for fun) I mention dimensions only to speak about the comfort of this bike. We all know riders with these dimension fit in the 'between' area as far as sizing goes. Pivot Mach 5 medium geometry fits me perfectly. Moving all this weight is not as easy as it looks. I have been out all day in the Northern California heat and the muggy Reinland Valley doing what a man of my stature considers 'tear-assing' around single track. I never end a rides on my Mach 5 with sensations of being over exhausted. The bike simply saves energy. I go distance, and push as hard as possible consistently. The experience of riding this bike is unparalleled in my experience thus far. A true companion for epics! Of course the DW link has much to add to this. Climbing is control here. Technical descents are simplified. The application on open wide dirt, hard pack, and fire roads does not seem uncharacteristic for this dual suspension machine. It really does it all, with great stability, feedback, and comfort.

One year of ownership and the only complaint I have is access to front the derailleur. This issue is brought up in many interviews. Regardless of that, my Mach 5 represents my instinct rather well. The torsional rigidity, weight and predictable strength of the frame bring expectations of longevity. I have not needed to make component upgrades from the stock purchase. (although, always changing pedals and saddle) From my perspective this is a great company with great vision and philosophy that makes great no-fluff bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Anything North of Santa Barbara

XR4 EXP rear
Time ATAC XS pedals

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2012

Strengths:    reliability, strength, speed, good looks

Weaknesses:    If the bike is not set up or ridden right it is unforgiving and will hurl you off.

Bottom Line:
This is a terrific bike, it can be a Cross Country racer or All Mountain Weapon, my feeling after 3.5 years of riding this bike, there is no in between, you set it up light or strong. Some days I hate riding it, other days it is magic ,the trail can either flow or be your enemy. If you are a new MTB rider dont buy this bike, if you are intermediate you will love it. I have found that you need to ride this bike aggressively, abuse it while railing a corner or smashing a hill then chuck it in the garage dirty after you have finished a ride, The bike will be ready again the next day after a few miserly drops of oil on the chain. If you want tough this is the bike you need. Honestly I cant think of another bike I want to ride as there are not many that are better than a Mach 5, technology has moved on from 2009 but not significantly enough to warrant a change to a new platform.

Favorite Trail:   Mad Butcher at Woodhill MTB Park

Duration Product Used:   3.5 years

Purchased At:   Bike Tech Mt Welling

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro

Bike Setup:   09 Fulcrum Red Metal 3, 09 Fox RLC talas and RP23, Avid Juicy 5, Shimano XT, SRAM X9

Submitted by SilverBACK

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2012

Strengths:    tracking, suspension feed back, responsive to all actions, push hard, DW Link

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
Just got this bike 2 days ago. It was old inventory in a Napa Valley bike shop. The owner was very decent on the pricing. So, the bike is dated, but unused/never demoed. I traded removed the shop dust on the Pivot M5 for some NorCal single track dirt. My life is different now. More to follow...

Submitted by Steve S.

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2012

Strengths:    The DW Link on this bike works incredibly well. The frame is also crazy stiff.

Weaknesses:    Two things to note on this frame:

First, the cable routing on this bike is one of the worst I have seen. The cable housing stop on my medium frame is so close behind the head tube that I had to use Nokon housings to make the bend. Also, as the rear swingarm moves through it's range it basically forces both the shifter housings and brake line to bow outwards...this ends up as an annoying "knock" on the inside of your calf as you pedal. The housings also rub through the paint as they move around over time.

Second, the position of the front derailleur is too high. The front der on this frame bolts directly to the frame. This is nice and clean, but you cannot adjust the position as a result. The front der sits really high off the 42T ring, which makes it drag when in the 22T granny gear.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, but Pivot definitely needs to spend more time on the cable routing and front der. placement on the bike. As far as I have seen, these same issues exist on the Mach 5.7 as well.

Submitted by vincegt a Weekend Warrior from San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2012

Strengths:    High Speed Ascending, Technical Descent, Smooth, Corners like its on rails

Weaknesses:    Low Speed Ascent

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It is my first full suspension rig, so with nothing to compare to except a Giant Trance which I borrowed for one ride, I'm a bit biased (it kills the Trance). Smooth suspension, never complains. I got whacked in the eye by a branch while on a steep rocky technical descent, and I cleaned it with my eyes closed thanks to the forgiveness of this suspension. Climbing the steeps is no problem if you're in shape, but low-speed cornering becomes an issue (maybe just me). Great all-around bike.

Purchased At:   It's A Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   XT/SLX 2011 FOX Float 140 2012 FOX RP23 w/ Boost valve

Submitted by nts550

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2011

Bottom Line:
This is my favorite bike ever!!! and I've ridden a lot of them.

Climbs great, descends better. I ride in muddy Welsh environments and this bike eats it up. Especially techy downhill...and even uphill. My build is a little heavy, so it's a fun bike, not a race bike. That said I could throw some lighter tires/wheels, parts and have an XC and Super D machine.

Similar Products Used:   lots: S-works epics, C-dale rush, Santa Cruz Blurs, 575, a couple 29ers, Enduro, Anthem 0, VT-0, lots of hardtails, Rocky Mountain Slayer

Bike Setup:   140mm Revalation, SRAM x-0, 2.4 tires Conti tires, Fulcrum wheels

Submitted by pominoz a Weekend Warrior from ACT Australia

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2011

Strengths:    I wanted an all-day bike that would take some abuse, let me have some mild DH fun and be light enough to make it easy to climb back to the top of the hill. The ability to adjust to varied trails and needed to keep me smiling. The Mach 5 does all that with no worries.

Weaknesses:    I honestly haven't found any.

Bottom Line:
I've had the bike for a year having moved from the Scott Genius. First impression was the additional bottom bracket/crank clearance which was welcome. Feels to me like I sit higher on the bike but makes for faster turning. Minimal bob with the DW link even when standing and quick acceleration.
I paid a great new price and it's a great bike!

Favorite Trail:   All of em

Similar Products Used:   Scott Genius MC30, Trek Y22!

Bike Setup:   Standard Pivot Mach 5 with full XT and DT Swiss X430 wheels

Submitted by Tim Rowse a Cross Country Rider from Steamboat, CO USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2011

Strengths:    Ok, I'm not one to submit reviews, but the Pivot Mach 5 was worthy of taking the time. I came from a Titus RacerX that I also loved. The Mach 5 is the logical step from the Racerx for those that want to step towards a longer travel trail bike. It's two bikes in one if you get an adjustable shock. Climbs really well when suspension is locked down and downhills with the slight feel of a DH bike when you open her up.

I highly recommend an adjustable front fork as the reviews that site "a wandering front tire" are accurate with the front shock fully opened. When I dial it down, the issue disappears.

Weaknesses:    Haven't really found any yet, just make sure to order an adjustable front shock.

Bottom Line:
I ride a lot in Steamboat Colorado, Lots of climbing, singletrack and all kinds of descents. I'm 5'9" 180 pounds and love the medium size.

Favorite Trail:   Huh? which one?

Purchased At:   Orange Peel Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Titus Racer x
Ellsworth Epiphany

Bike Setup:   details...details...$'s for grams...all the upper end technology works pretty well.

Submitted by Jorge a Cross Country Rider from Queretaro

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2011

Strengths:    Frame, Suspension, Design

Weaknesses:    Oversize bike. You have to ride it before purchase it. Painting; mine is a white/Grey and even a fly can make a scratch on it. I will recomend the anodized colors

Bottom Line:
The Pivot Mach 5 has all the good stuff that all the others have. The basic instinct of the Titus. The quickness response of the Yeti ASR5. The sharp and maneuverability of the Specialized Epic. But also the price include all the others and is too high. Does it worth? Once you are riding this beauty you forgot about it!

Favorite Trail:   Laguna de Servin

Purchased At:   Florida

Similar Products Used:   Titus Racer X 2008, Yeti ASR5 2009, Specialized Epic 2010

Bike Setup:   XT, XTR, Fox RP23, Carbon components

Submitted by Linda a Weekend Warrior from Traverse City, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2011

Strengths:    Climbs like a monster; NO bob, keeps a beautiful line, eats up ugly stuff with no complaint.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a less flimsy seat (see below)

Bottom Line:
Oh what a ride! I can't seem to wipe this goofy grin off my face! I ride my usual trails and when I reach the end, I'm just not ready to be done. Even the first time out, I discovered I could ride rugged descents so much more aggressively. If you get bored, just ride it faster. It only gets better.

I've gone over stumps,rocks, roots, stairs and train tracks and this bike has bumps for dessert. The bike just seems to stick, which I attribute to the rear suspension. I was constantly bouncing around in rock gardens, on my old bike, no matter how well I tuned it.

Climbing is amazing. I read previous reviews about how this bike climbs and have to admit I was skeptical that any full suspension bike could deliver as described. Unbelievable. The suspension on this bike gives when needed and stays as stiff as a hard tail up hills. The front end is a little light and I've pulled it off the ground on steep ascents, but it's more a matter of sloppy riding and the need to position myself a little differently on the bike.

I was originally looking at the Mach 4, but am glad to have that extra inch and a half of travel up front on the Mach 5. As I read in another review, it inspires confidence on the downhill, and I found that really to be true, especially after being accustomed to worrying about ending up over the handlebars on my old bike. I feel my riding position on the bike overall is part of the reason. The other thing I read was that this was a nicer ride for long days in the saddle, and I completely agree.

I'm 5.5 and went with the small frame, but was concerned after I read other reviews that suggested the frame size ran large. At first I was indeed worried it was a bit big, but as I ride it, it feels absolutely perfect. I think my first impression that it was large was because I wasn't used to a front fork with that much travel (the old bike having less than 4 inches of travel)

I do see a few modifications in the cards...
I got the XT build and am pretty happy with it, although I think in time I will upgrade the drive train to deliver a crisper shift. I did manage to pull the seat off the brackets the second time out (bailed on some spooky terrain that this bike could have easily taken!). I've never had that happen on a bike before. The seat has a flimsy plastic frame which attaches to the seat bracket; it flexed just right and popped off when I jumped off.

Finally, I'll take a couple of inches off the handlebars. The bars on my old bike measured 22 inches and I got used to being able to take tight squeezes between trees. I find the 26-inch bars that came on it to be far longer than needed, and I've already misjudged my margin for error a couple of times and scuffed bar ends.

All in all, I say it's a phenomenal bike. I would happily make the same choice again. You can't go wrong with this one! Great job, Pivot!

Favorite Trail:   North Country Trail, VASA, out the back door

Purchased At:   Brick Wheels

Similar Products Used:   Trek OCLV full suspension, SRAM 9.0/XT

Bike Setup:   Pivot XT build

Submitted by racrdan a Weekend Warrior from SoCal

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2011

Strengths:    Incredible rear suspension that works wonders. Solid feeling, great climber. RP23 shock works great.

Weaknesses:    none that I can think of..

Bottom Line:
This bike has made me a better rider from climbing to downhill. The best part about the Mach 5 for me is that it holds the line where you want to go, very confidence inspiring. It's a solid ride. Climbing on the Mach 5 is a treat. I've read where others say that the front end is pretty light in technical sections, that's true for me aswell but I don't think it's a big deal and doesn't effect the way I climb. I have a small water bottle that fits fine in my Medium frame. For value, I have to give it 5 chilis because you can buy the frames for $1400 new and for what you get that's a smokin' deal. 5 chilis for my overall, it is truly an outstanding bike...

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore, Cheseboro

Purchased At:   ebay barely used

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR Enduro

Bike Setup:   XT,SLX,Sram X9

Submitted by shawnstar a Cross Country Rider from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2011

Strengths:    Very Stiff suspension on the climb, The adjusdtable rp23 onthe rear makes any downhill doable. Very stiff rear triangle, stock build responds beautifully.

Weaknesses:    I will never be as good as this bike

Bottom Line:
This bike is sweet, much better than my last bike. The people over at Pivot Cycles are great, they build exceptional quality bikes. I also recommend Motion Makers, they have exceptional knowledge of the bikes and offer great service!

Favorite Trail:   Greens Lick

MAVIC CROSSRIDE
KENDA NEVEGAL

Submitted by playplay350 a Weekend Warrior from Canberra, ACT,Australia

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2011

Strengths:    too many to list, this is just a fantastic bike. Fun Fun Fun

Weaknesses:    little hard to clean, not really a weakness

Bottom Line:
I would recommend this bike to anybody looking for a bike that does just about anything you throw at it. The DW Link works a treat, it's like sitting in a lounge chair.

Favorite Trail:   Stromlo

Similar Products Used:   Giant Trance, IBIS Mojo

Bike Setup:   XT Build including XT Rims.

Submitted by woodsrider300 a Weekend Warrior from Winchester, KY

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2011

Strengths:    The best do-it-all bike I have ridden yet!!!!

Weaknesses:    A little hard to clean in the rear suspension linkage. Well, I had to come up with something.

Bottom Line:
I will keep it short because there is only one way to describe this bike. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! I rode the Motolite for 5 years before the Pivot and thought you could not get better. WRONG!!! I am a 50+ year old rider and ride everything from fast smooth trail to very technical single track and this bike is at home on it all. The rear suspension is amazing!!! You won't be sorry if you buy one. BOTTOM LINE.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali NC