Pivot Cycles Mach 5.7 All Mountain Full Suspension

There is riding for fun, and there are fun rides. These are two very different things. The Pivot Mach 5.7 is a bike that makes every ride fun, even if you take your riding seriously. It's no secret either. This is a bike that's won Bicycling Magazine's Editor's Choice Award for Best 26" Trail Bike, against stiff competition we might add. What it does for you is offer 145mm (5.7") of dw-link rear suspension that glides over rocks, roots and ruts, yet still remains firm while hammering out of the saddle. And it provides active braking -- meaning the suspension can still cycle while modulating the brake -- providing you unparalleled control in the sketchiest of terrain.Firm, efficient pedaling and serious bump compliance? It's possible to have both thanks to the dw-link suspension with its anti-squat characteristics. When you're on your bike, the center of mass is somewhere near your belly button. Every time you accelerate (ie. pedal forward), this mass shifts rearward, loading the rear suspension. The dw-link counteracts this transfer to minimize your impact on the rear suspension. This is why Pivot is able to get such a lightly damped tune on the Kashima Coated RP23 rear shock from Fox. With the dw-link controlling unwanted suspension squat, the lightly damped shock can respond with ultra-sensitivity to the demands of the trail. As a result, the Mach 5.7 is capable of soaking up big square edged hits and minute trail chatter alike. Perhaps the best trait of dw-link rear suspension is how well it absorbs bumps while climbing at low speeds. This means more comfort and better traction.Compared to the Mach 5, the Mach 5.7 has a few key differences that push it towards all-mountain capability. It has a more relaxed head angle, from 69? to 67.6? here. This makes the Mach 5.7 more stable at speed, and dropping into steep rocky chutes is a simple point-and-shoot affair. And because it's intended for steeper terrain, the head tube is a bit taller as well. Getting your bars higher will give you more control on the downhills, and if you're worried about the climbing position, we'd recommend a travel adjust fork. Problem solved. The Mach 5.7 has a flatter spring curve. So even though the difference in travel between the two bikes is fairly small, the 5.7 has a plusher ride and a more bottomless feel at the end of the stroke.Pivot frames are known for being stiff -- all the better as a platform for high performance suspension. They build the Mach 5.7 from hydroformed 6000 series aluminum tubing and 3D hollow aluminum forgings. The production processes for these raw materials both help to align and strengthen the grain structure of the alloy. It's stiffer than the Mach 5 in part because it gets bigger diameter tubes in the front triangle. The rear end also gets two c-shaped struts, one on each side. This adds stability so that the rear wheel tracks perfectly through gnarly technical sections of trail and through tacky, sweeping turns. A resultant bene

Pivot Cycles Mach 5.7 All Mountain Full Suspension Pro Review

A few years ago the American “boutique” brand was pretty easily recognizable when compared to many of the big brand offerings by the simple fact that domestic builders were literally building one-off frames in limited quantity and assembling them here on domestic soil. These days the world has gotten quite a bit smaller, figuratively speaking. Continue reading →

Submitted by Trail biker a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2012

Strengths:    TRACTION under every condition, eficiency, climbing on loose dirt, stiffnes to weight, plushness, cornering and downhill stability ( low bb). The Dw-link really does some magic, a bike with this travel should not climb so well!!

Weaknesses:    Nothing really, just personal preferences like tires and grips.. Tricky cable routing maybe...Really trying hard here...

Bottom Line:
I come from a XC background and wanted something burlier but without compromise in eficiency. I also wanted something for the long term and a bike that you can set it and forget it. The mach 5.7 delivered it all.

I have been riding the bike for 18 months now and the bike still amazes me on every ride! My friends say that riding the mach 5.7 is cheating. It simply has it all, great stiffness, traction and amazing cornering, climbs better than many 4" xc bikes, flyes downhill like bigger bikes and the weight is pretty acceptable, even for an ex XC Weenie.

I think the bike is perfect for those who like to log big miles on all kinds of terrain, the plush suspension really saves your legs on long epic rides. Overall I am very pleased wvith the bike and if it got stolen would definately buy it again, maybe in carbon this time!!

I got mine in black with red details and really like the match, dont get why ppl complain about the colours...

If you have the chance, demo it. I'm sure you wont be disapointed.

Favorite Trail:   you will never know it

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Giant anthem, Titus racer x, many others...

Bike Setup:   Xt with upgrades, 140mm fork.

Submitted by newagespeed a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2012

Strengths:    this really is a "no BS" do all bike...super stable because it is very predictable...super geometry with suspension to match

Weaknesses:    150 fork can make the front a bit twitchy on steep up-hills....we have the hills to prove that
mud shedding ability (or lack of) around the rear wheel suspension can make for a very long day if you ride deep mud with leaves, branches and all the other crud...actually ripped my rear derailleur bracket in half from the rear triangle being so jammed...carry a spare with your chain quick link!

Bottom Line:
This bike seamlessly blends the line between all-mountain and XC...given enough time to really let the bike run makes every ride better and better. From 30 foot tree trunk beams to 6 foot drops to tight rock gardens to fast single track to ski hills....this bike doesn't give a sh!t....if you can dare it the bike will get you through
Swapped out the 150 fork and CaneCreek adjustable headset (check out how many are on pinkbike...they truly suck IMO) and went back to tapered headset (Chris King is the best!) with 140 fox TALAS this time....climbs much better and is stiffer when steering with noticably less flex....oh, and Kashima does matter!
If you can put on some Formula R1's this bike becomes a trail missle with pinpoint control...with Easton Havens UST, 2X10 XTR and some other goodies I am down to 23 pounds....all that is irrelevant without a great bike to start...this bike is a great bike FROM the start!
My bottom bracket too is on its way out after just a year as per other review...I thank that writer for the suggestion of Enduro bearing and will go that route. I'll agree that for the type of riding "advertised" a press bearing may not have been ideal.
The bike is very predictable and will go right where you steer it despite a higher bottom bracket height. Most of that height is "lowered" when the rear is set for 25% sag as advised by Pivot. It really allows you to use weight distribution to get over/through everything as long as you let it go...the faster you attack the obstacles the better the bike handles them. Very well balanced bike and superb geometry and suspension. It does climb great but does take some getting used to the taller front end and slacker rake of the front fork...Having a TALAS fork with 140 mm and 110 mm options makes a huge difference and allows the day to be enjoyed going up and down the mountain...I enjoy working hard to get up ANY hill but am not a fan of struggling because the bike geometry is not suited. Having had a 19 pound Specialized Stumpjumper hard tail the Pivot may have an unfair comparison to go against. That said the Pivot does climb much better than my hard tail when standing up and over roots, rocks and any other obstacle that robs traction and momentum. The DW-Link really does work and bite the rear tire in to the ground with anti-squat geometry.
Had some friends try it while we rode Ellicotville and they all had some pretty big smiles on their faces with an evil "gleam" in their eyes...that says it all

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Submitted by Bob Engelhorn

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff, light, plush

Weaknesses:    Colors don't match

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my previous review. The bike is definitely a 5 star bike. It's light for a long travel trail bike, it's stiff laterally and is pretty plush in the original status. The Kashima coated RP23 is great, but I made it even better. PUSH is now working on these shocks and when I got it back from them, it was even more plush. I also added the Enduro needle bearings for the shock mountings and that made a difference as well. Combining the Kashima coating, the PUSH work and the shock needle bearings make for a really plush ride compared to the stock version.

My only complaint, which I got ripped for previously, is the lack of color conformity. For me, when I spend over $6000 for a bike, I want it to perform outstandingly well and look great. If you go to a World Cup race, guess what, the bikes look great and the companies try to match everything. I ended up buying a Pivot Lunch Box (black), because I was pissed at the fact that the colors didn't match. In my mind (and I know most people don't care about looks), everything should match. Now that I got the Lunch Box, everything is black and the bike looks great and performs really well.

Other than the color, there is one issue with the bike that I've run into. The pressed-in bottom bracket, in theory, is a good idea, but it lasted less than a year. The drive side was very rough so I ended up getting a RWC Enduro press-in bottom bracket instead of the Shimano version that Pivot uses. That solved that problem.

Overall, the bike is a great trail bike. I wish Pivot would get over the whole anti-squat issue and allow a longer travel fork, but right now I have a 150mm travel Revelation with a carbon crown (OMG, it's 5mm longer axle to crown, than the Fox 150) and a 2.4 inch Schwalbe Nobby Nic tire. That combination makes for a really nice front end. It still pedals really well, but the fat tire and longer axle to crown make for a really comfortable bike.

In any case, I'll still give it 5 stars because after all of my modifications, it looks great and performs great.

Submitted by Roadking1962

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2012

Strengths:    Efficient suspension design, great geometry, rugged frame.

Weaknesses:    Can be pricey. Color choices.

Bottom Line:
Love this bike! The suspension design really works. It's smooth and very efficient, no pro pedal needed even on climbs. The bike doesn't ride like it's a 6 inch travel bike but when you need it, the travel is there. The through axels at each end really stiffen the bike up as does the beefy headset. The bike handles like it's low to the ground yet I get less pedal strikes than I did on my prior bike. No regrets on my purchase.

Submitted by markokenya a Weekend Warrior from san francisco / marin

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2011

Strengths:    Precise steering
Great descender
Great clibmer

Weaknesses:    can be twitchy until you're used to it: let the bike roll, stay off the brakes;
chain clang quite a bit but who cares

Bottom Line:
This bike is the bomb! I'm getting more confident each ride. I had a Blur LT and loved it, but this climbs better, descends more precisely and handles switchbacks with nicer balance. All in all it's easier to have lots of confidence with this bike. Very stiff, very precise, very true.
I moved down from a large to a medium frame and also to a shorter stem, making the cockpit pretty cozy - but I'm already more used to it and able to make some stuff where I used to put a foot down on the BLT.

Favorite Trail:   tamarancho

Purchased At:   California Bike n Be

Similar Products Used:   Blur LT

Bike Setup:   Lyric U Turn 160 / XT / don't yet have my XT brakes

Submitted by Ride or Die a Weekend Warrior from Eugene, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2011

Strengths:    Since I have only been riding this frame for a short while, I am still working on figuring out all of the true strengths it has. I can say that compared to my Enduro frame it is lighter, more efficient at pedaling and has to be one of the best all mountain bikes I have ever ridden. I do have it build a little more for aggressive riding with a Talas 36 on the front which adds a little extra weight, but really helps on the downhill.

Weaknesses:    I can say this bike does not have too many weaknesses, but to be truly honest I really wish they designed it with a practical water bottle holder position. The bottom of the bottom down tube I feel is pretty useless. The new Carbon version fixes this issue by having 2 mounts. Unfortunately I could not afford the Carbon version.

Bottom Line:
I can say this bike lives up to all of the hype that many other riders have stated. The DW suspension is amazing with the use of the Fox RP23. The first time out on this bike was pretty amazing and re assuring that I made the right decision to switch from my Enduro to the Mach 5.7. Extremely efficient with the capability to rip the downhill. If you are reading this review and deciding if you should purchase a Mach 5.7, I would say go for it and don't think twice! Ride on. :-)

Favorite Trail:   Too Many to choose from

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   2010 Specialized Enduro, Intense 5.5, Trek Ex 8, Yeti 575

Bike Setup:   Aluminum Mach 5.7, Dity 747 bars, Ouri Grips, X9 Shifters, XO Rear Der., XT Front Der., SLX 2X9 cranks with Bash guard, Specialized Command Post, Rocky Mountain Carbon front hub with Maxis 317 Wheels, XT Rear Hub with Maxis 317 Wheels, Fox Talas 36, FSA 70mm +/- 6 degree stem.

Submitted by ags a Weekend Warrior from Ramapo, New York

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2011

Strengths:    -Suspension design is fantastic. Nice job DW!
-Look and finish are top notch

Weaknesses:    -Still looking

Bottom Line:
For the longest time I was a proponent of the Horst Link 4-bar (FSR) design. Then I got a Giant and thought their Maestro was almost as good and even climbed better. Now that I have a Pivot 5.7 I realize the DW Link is the best of both. Maybe even better! Of course a great bike design is crucial and Pivot has hit the mark. My Mach 5.7 climbs like a 4" travel XC bike and bombs down the trails like a 7" travel freeride bike. This bike is fantastic and worth every penny.

It's taken me 3 rides to dial in the sag and suspension settings but now it rides like nothing I've ever owned.

Favorite Trail:   Ringwood

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   -Giant Trance XO
-Specialed SX Trail
-Intense 6.6

Bike Setup:   2012 XT with FSA components and Mavic ST wheels

Submitted by JonathanJ a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2011

Strengths:    Great peddling bike, loves to climb. Light. Great suspension.
The suspension is amazing.

Weaknesses:    Price else have not found.

Bottom Line:
This is my first LT bike. The bike is very light and stiff and strong. Very easy to control down hill and in tight turns I do recommend!!!!!!

Purchased At:   Single Track Israel

Similar Products Used:   Gary fisher cake 1.

Bike Setup:   2X10 XT, XT brakes, XT wheels, KS950i seat post.

Submitted by mustleaveplanet a Weekend Warrior from Cairns, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2011

Strengths:    Light, Stiff, DW Link makes square-edge hits feel non-existant, Amazing climber (Propedal really isn't even needed), Awesome descender too. The frame comes with Shimano XT bearings already pressed into the BB90 bottom bracket- nice!

Weaknesses:    ISCG mounts for a chainguide would be nice (Pivot does sell a clamp on adapter) and If i was to be really finicky i'd say the cable routing is abit messy around the shock and swing arm? not really anywhere else it can go though!!

Bottom Line:
The first impression I had was that the Mach 5.7 sat really low in it's sag. Having said that, the Pivot doesn't blow through it's travel as much as one would expect- It's not a free-rider (Thats what the Firebird is for) but it's definately aggressive trail-ride capable. The DW Link suspension is so smooth over rocks and exposed roots that it makes even the most supple forks up front feel relatively harsh! Suspension is fully active under brakes (another DW link selling point). This bike LOVES to climb; The front stays planted and the traction is phenomenal. Virtually no bob- Propedal isn't needed unless you're riding on the road. Unlike Iron Horse's DW link, Pivot's link really ramps up at the end of it's travel on the Mach5.7 so it's still easy to bunnyhop without that "dead" feeling. The 67degree head angle inspires confidence on techical decents and makes for stable high speed cornering. Pivot's bikes tend to err on longer wheelbase per frame size but it feels perfect to me. It's pretty much bang-on all round! I got this as a frame to replace my trusty 08 SC Heckler and I'm not regretting it. I've always liked the simplicity of a single pivot, but now i'm sold on the virtues of a well designed linkage frame. Definately try one out if you're on the market for a new ride.

Favorite Trail:   Black Snake, Caterpillar or anything fast and flowing

Purchased At:   The Bike Shed Mortda

Similar Products Used:   Transition Covert, Specialized Pitch Pro, Santa Cruz Heckler

Bike Setup:   Small frame (i'm 5'5), Rock Shox Revelation XX, Hope Hubs and Brakes, Shimano XT 1x10, Stans Arch Rims

Submitted by Vega77 a Weekend Warrior from Golden, CO

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2011

Strengths:    Amazing technical climber, incredible pedaling efficiency, very stable and plush descender, very stiff

Weaknesses:    Rarely the chain drops off of the front in very rocky terrain

Bottom Line:
This is an incredible bike for those that want to be able to conquer long technical climbs, and more importantly, bomb steep technical descents. It's a perfect bike for the rocky trails of Colorado's front range. I had a float 140 on it for the first few months, which worked well, but I got the itch to slacken it out a little more. The float 150 has been even better. The 67.1 degree head angle with the 150 is a perfect balance. There is still no front end wander on even the steepest climbs and the slacker front has really allowed me to barrel through rock gardens with confidence. I came off of a Motolite most recently, and the 5.7 is a much better all around bike. I demoed the Ibis Mojo 3 times on my local trails and really wanted to pull the trigger, but it just wasn't as stable at speed and didn't climb technical ups as well. My only knock is the chain has dropped a few times (maybe 3 or 4) off of the front on fast rocky descents. I may have to look into a chain guide.

Favorite Trail:   Whatever I'm riding

Purchased At:   Golden Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Titus Motolite, Ibis Mojo SL, Yeti 575, Santa Cruz Heckler, Cannondale Jekyll, Ellsworth Epiphany, Rocky Mountain Altitude

Bike Setup:   Fox float 150 fork, XO 2x10 drive train and brakes, DT swiss Tricon 1700 wheels, Easton Haven carbon bar, Race Face Turbine 70 mm stem, KS i950 remote dropper post, Kenda Nevegals 2.35/2.1

Submitted by WaState a Weekend Warrior from Kirkland, WA

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2011

Strengths:    It's light, stiff, pedals well and has a much plusher suspension than the Mach 5.

Weaknesses:    The color of the anodized bolts and lower link do not match. They are supposed to be red, but the link is not the same color as the bolts. They aren't radically different, but the colors don't match

Bottom Line:
I previously owned a Mach 5 and while it got great reviews from most people, I didn't like it. The extremely short head tube, steep head angle and stiff rear suspension didn't make the bike feel comfortable. It climbed really well, but it just felt like I was going over the handlebars every time I went downhill. It was a nice bike, but it wasn't built for me so I sold it.

I then purchased a Santa Cruz Carbon Blur LT and I liked it better than the Mach 5, but it still wasn't perfect. The Blur is stiff, great looking and I've had no issues with it, but the VPP2 isn't very plush. I was looking for a trail bike that had a slack head angle, plush rear suspension, yet still pedaled well.

The Mach 5.7 seems to meet those requirements. They lengthened the head tube, slackened the head angle, lowered the bottom bracket, gave it slightly more travel, made it plusher, yet it still pedals really well. Granted, I've only had one relatively long ride on the bike, but it was very impressive. The ride had steep climbs, roots, rocks and fun, fast descents and the Mach 5.7 handled the trail with ease.

Even Pivot calls it a trail bike, not an all-mountain bike, but unless you're a jumper or extreme freerider, this bike will handle most situations. Fully built up, the bike weighs in at 26.3 lbs.

Because I'm impressed with the bike, I'm selling my carbon Blur, so if anyone is interested, let me know.

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Downhill Zone

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Carbon Blur LT, Santa Cruz Butcher, Santa Cruz Nomad, Ellsworth Moment, Titus Switchblade, Titus Quasi-Moto, Ventana LaBruja, Ventana El
Ciclon

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Revelation 150, SRAM XO shifters, rear derailleur, Shimano XTR front derailleur, cranks, pedals, Thomson stem and seatpost, Stan's Arch rims, Sapim C-Xray spokes, Hadley hubs

Submitted by MTBike911 a Weekend Warrior from Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2011

Strengths:    Quiet, solid, and just plain fun to ride. DW*Link!!

Weaknesses:    None. Frame performs as advertised. Little Expensive, but other boutique frames cost more (Ellsworth, Turner, etc)

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a new ride after throughly enjoying my 04 Jekyll 1000. After taking a trip to California and demoing a Pivot Mach 429 from the guys at Topanga Creek, I was sold on a Pivot. I returned home to South Florida, gave the guys at Topanga Creek a call, and had them hook me up with a Mach 5.7.

After taking that first ride... all i can say is I have no regrets. The Mach 5.7 has to be the stiffest full suspension frame I have ever ridden. The trails here in South Florida are riddled with roots and rocks and this bike handles it all with ease.

After 6 solid months of riding almost 4-5 times a week, this frame has held up considerably well. The pivot points are nice and quite and other than cleaning out the seat tube area once or twice.. no creaks. Too bad i can't say the same for the Fox Float. I have already had to send it in for warranty issues (creaking crown).

If you are on the fence on whether or not to purchase a Pivot, the best advice I can give is go demo one... you will be glad you did.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Topanga Creek Bicycl

Similar Products Used:   Previous Bike: 2004 Cannondale Jekyll 1000.

Bike Setup:   Large Mach 5.7 Frame (White), Fox Float FIT 150mm 15QR, Custom Mavic XM819 with Criss King front and DT Swiss 240s 10mm Rear, XT shifters, brakes, front and rear derailleur, SLX Crank, Candy 3 pedals. FSA KForce Bar, FSA SL-K Stem, Thompson Elite seat post, WTB Rocket V Race Saddle, ODI Rogue grips, WTB Wolverine 2.2 front UST, Specialized The Captain rear UST. Approx 28 lbs.

Submitted by k1rider a Weekend Warrior from Minneapolis, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2011

Strengths:    This bike is incredibly responsive and agile. Like everyone else the climbing is superb, when you drive into the pedals you actually feel like you're on a hardtail. Coming from riding a Spesh Epic this is a no comparison step up in efficiency not to mention the huge addition to a plush ride that even soaks up minor trail noise like small roots and rocks. Last point, by siting in the suspension, I'm carving berms and corners better then I have in the past.

Weaknesses:    At this point, nothing beyond cost. *Though I think the industry as a whole needs to move towards remote operated shocks and forks

Bottom Line:
Have never spent better money. Brought a whole new joy to riding.

Favorite Trail:   Rock Lake, WI