Pivot Cycles Mach 5.7 Carbon All Mountain Full Suspension

The name is appropriate; by that we mean the "mach" part. All we can think of is how fast we could ride this bike, and the Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon is more ready to rip than ever before. Imagine taking a half pound from the frame weight of the alloy version of this bike. Make it stiffer too. That's exactly what Pivot Cycles did. And while the 145mm (5.7") dw-link rear suspension works as beautifully as ever, the frame is far more attractive than the alloy model, with its sweeping curves and smooth tube junctures. Pivot has taken advantage of the latest molding technology to get the frame weight down to 5 pounds with the rear shock. This means that sacrificial internal molds get used to provide better compaction of the laminate and to create a smoother inner surface. All of this adds up to a stronger and lighter bike without the wrinkles and excess resin that used to plague intricate monocoque layups. While the front triangle is noticeably smoother, the rear end is where you'll see the greatest differences in design attributable to the use of carbon. Instead of two struts connecting the set and chain stays, there is but one on the left side. And there isn't a seat stay bridge either. These changes help to increase the mud clearance over the alloy Mach 5.7 frame. We always like that. Up front it gets the same tapered head tube, and it allows Pivot designers to shape a massive down tube for steering stiffness.Out on the trail, the Mach 5.7 Carbon glides over rocks, roots and ruts, yet still remains firm while hammering out of the saddle. Firm, efficient pedaling and serious bump compliance? It's possible to have both thanks to the dw-link suspension with its anti-squat characteristics. When you're on your bike, the center of mass is somewhere near your belly button. Every time you accelerate (ie. pedal forward), this mass shifts rearward, loading the rear suspension. The dw-link counteracts this transfer to minimize your impact on the rear suspension.This is why Pivot is able to get such a lightly damped tune on the Kashima Coated RP23 rear shock from Fox. With the dw-link controlling unwanted suspension squat, the lightly damped shock can respond with ultra-sensitivity to the demands of the trail. As a result, the Mach 5.7 Carbon is capable of soaking up big square edged hits and minute trail chatter alike. Perhaps the best trait of dw-link rear suspension is how well it absorbs bumps while climbing at low speeds. This means more comfort and better traction. The Mach 5.7 Carbon has a flatter spring curve than the Mach 5. So even though the difference in travel between the two bikes is fairly small, the 5.7 has a plusher ride and a more bottomless feel at the end of the stroke.There are a few other details that emphasize the efforts towards optimizing frame stiffness. One of the easiest to see is the BB92 pressfit style bottom bracket. The extra width in the shell does two things -- 1) It allows the frame designers to connect a massive downtu

Submitted by Craig a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2014

Strengths:    Very light weight for a almost 6 inch travel bike. Climbs like no tomorrow!!!

Weaknesses:    Have had a issue with one of the bearings on the lower DW link wearing out faster than normal

Bottom Line:
I am a 57 year old mountain biker but ride pretty hard. Come from a back ground of racing off-road motorcycles in enduro and hare scrambles for many many years. So I like a bike that will turn on a dime and slice thru twisty trail. When I we a chance to jump over a rough spot I will take it. This bike is perfect for it. When it comes to going up this bike is like cheating. The younger guys I ride with thing I am and animal going up hill but it is really the bike that gives me the advantage. I rode a Mach 5 for several years before I got the 5.7 and was having a hard time spending $5000.00 plus dollar for up grade. Called Pivot and talked to a rep and he assured me I would be amazed at the difference. Boy was he right!!! It is so much more smoother. I ride with others that have 29ers and have ridden them and just can't get into the lazy feel of a 29er. You can carry so much speed on this bike that the advantage of rolling over trail junk easier that you get on 29er is not a issue. Bottom line, if you can spend this kind of money for a mountain bike you will not be sorry!!!!!! I did have a issue with a creak that developed when pedaling hard up hill that I thought was the bottom bracket but after taking it apart and lobbing several time and not fixing the problem I took thr lower DW link off and found one of the bearing was bad. It was. A easy and cheap fix and have not had a problem since. Awesome bike! Period

Favorite Trail:   Tsali NC, brown county indy

Duration Product Used:   1 1/2 years

Purchased At:   Competitive cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Titus motolite. Pivot Mach 5. Mongoose team caannan.

Bike Setup:   Easton EA90XC wheel set. SRAM XO drivetrain with 10 speed. Fox shock and fork. FSA carbon bars, stem, and seat post. Comes in at under 26 pounds. Specialized fast track 2.2 tires tubeless.

Submitted by Lance David a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2013

Strengths:    Pedals like a XC bike but 150 mm and 67 head angle kills on the way down. Very light 26 lb for a long travel bike. Great suspension, especially the rear. One of the most agile, fun playful bikes I've ridden. Great component build. Tricon wheels Shadow Plus rear derailleur Kashima fork/shock XT brakes with finned pads, even the seat WTB is great.

Weaknesses:    Small 26 inch wheels. Really a double edge sword here. Less stable and not a good on smaller chunder, but more nimble. Not my favorite tire choice and should have come tubless on those great wheels.

Bottom Line:
I have a Superfly 29er carbon with carbon wheels. That is my benchmark for a fun nimble bike. I also have a Trek Scratch with Fox float talis 180 mm fork and 170 travel in the rear. My benchmark for going down. I have spent time on the Specialized 2012 Stumpjumber FSR 29er around Salt Lake and Fruita, great all around bike. I test rode a couple 27.5 bikes Intense Carbine and Giant Reign with 27.5 wheels. Then I test rode this and had to have it. Might even sell the other bikes. This bike is more agile than the Superfly, goes down almost as well as the Scratch (that 180 fork is outstanding) and pedals my XC loop almost as fast as my Superfly 1 hour 2 min vs 1 hour 4 min on the Pivot.
Here is my take on the wheel size and why I like this bike so much. 29ers roll over stuff better so you can use shorter suspension making them pedal better, in general. But you loose agility and when the going gets really rough you miss the suspension travel. 26ers can roll over stuff just as well if they have more suspension, but you loose pedaling efficiency. 27.5 felt very close to the 26 and not really gaining the advantage of the 29er.
So the Pivot Mach 5.7 has enough suspension to roll over everything and it is so light and so efficient pedaling that you can just power through the chunder on the way up. It's way agile and so light it accelerates well coming out of corners or up short steep climbs. I feel like everything is a trade off, bigger wheels vs agility. This bike strikes the perfect balance for me. It is light enough and pedals well enough with enough suspension that I don't feel the need for bigger wheels. And when it turns down, it is a real blast, railing courners, jumping off stuff, just playing with the trail like I can't on my Superfly or the Stumpy I have ridden.

Favorite Trail:   Crest trail in Big Cottonwood.

Duration Product Used:   3 weeks

Purchased At:   Go-Ride, Salt Lake C

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper FSR 29, Intense Carbine 27.5, Trek Scratch, Superfly 100 carbon.Giant Reign and ReignX

Bike Setup:   Stock with the addition of a KS LEV dropper post

Submitted by JD a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2013

Strengths:    THIS REVIEW IS FOR A PIVOT 5.7 CARBON WITH A 650B CONVERSION.
Strengths: Better bump roll over - smooths out the rough trails, allows faster speeds over the bumps, less hangup effect on bumps. Better stability and traction. Allows rider to rail corners/switch backs aggressively with more speed and confidence. 650b has slightly less rolling resistance than 26 inch wheels - so the science says - but not very noticeable - its nothing like the night and day difference when comparing 26 inch wheels vs. 29 inch wheels. 650b wheels on the Pivot Mach 5.7 C still feels flickable, quick, agile, and still has the fun factor of 26 inch wheels.

Weaknesses:    Slightly higher bottom bracket - I can feel it but it does not really compromise the handling for the worse. The bike feels just slightly twitchy because I think the chainstay length of the Pivot Mach 5.7 C is just a tad too short for 650B wheels, but of course the frame is designed around 26 inch wheels. Rear wheel clearance there is approx 4-5 mm of clearance between the tire and chainstay box section bridge.

Rear Wheel Travel had to be reduced. I had my Fox Rear Shox rebuilt/modified - 5mm spacer to reduce the stroke/travel. The Stock Fox Rear Shock has a 2.25 inch stroke which allows up to 5.7 inch rear wheel travel. The modified rear shock with a 5 mm spacer - shock stroke is now reduced to 2.05 inches which now changes the maximum allowable rear wheel travel to 5.19 inches. The rear shock had to be modified to allow clearance between the rear tire and the back of the seat tube - otherwise the stock (unmodified) rear shock, if it were to bottom out, the tire would slightly rub against the back of the seat tube right at the point where the front derailleur cable guide is located.
Another weakness is limited tire choices in 650b and a rear tire larger than the 2.25 might not fit the rear - I have not tried any other tire size yet.
Due to modifications warranty issues can be voided.

Bottom Line:
I also own a Lynskey Ridgeline 29er Titanium Hardtail. I really like the performance of larger wheels, I think the advantages of a larger wheel are outweigh the slight extra weight gain - better traction, stability, less rolling resistance, better bump roll over and compliance, faster uphill and downhill.

The larger wheel advantage drove me to convert my Pivot 5.7 Carbon to a 650b - Im willing to try anything that might be better. Looks like Im going to keep my 5.7 C with 650b wheels, but when Pivot comes out with a 650B specific frame, (hopefully its carbon with 5.5 to 6 inch travel) Im going to get me one because im sure it will perform better that the 5.7 C.

The Pivot 5.7 C does have enough rear tire clearance with approx 4-5 mm of gap between the tire and chainstay bridge box section (this is with a 2.25 Schwalbe Racing Ralph tires). The Rear shock will need to be modified with reduced stroke/travel to prevent rubbing of tire against the seat tube if the rear shock where to reach full travel or bottom out. If you have a Fox fork (for 26 inch wheel) there will be enough tire clearance depending on tire size, with a 2.25 Racing Ralph I have 6-7 mm of clearance, though I might switch to a Schwalbe Nobby Nic and should still have enough clearance.

I believe the performance of the 5.7 C with 650b wheels is slightly improved and worth the $$ for the conversion. Its still a blast to ride. It did take some getting used to. The 5.7 C still retains its awesome performance: pedaling, acceleration, quickness, flickability, but with improved bump roll over, less rolling resistance (barely noticeable), better traction and cornering stability and most important of all the fun factor is still there. Downside is the slighty reduce rearwheel travel :( but I guess life as a mountain biker has it compromises with bike upgrades or modifications.

Sorry to Francis, Greg, everyone at MTBR, and users/visitors to MTBR. I was not sure where to post this review. Maybe there needs to be a section for 650b conversions.

Favorite Trail:   Laguna Beach/Aliso Viejo, Irvine Park/Santiago Oaks

Duration Product Used:   with 26 inch wheels (1yr), with 650b (1 month)

Purchased At:   Out of state Online

Bike Setup:   Modified Fox RP23 Rear Shock with modified stroke 5 mm spacer and modified ramp rate. Fox RLC Fork 140 mm (26 inch wheel version).
650b Wheels: Reynolds 650b alloy wheelset. Schwalbe 650b Racing Ralph Tires 2.25 Tubeless front and rear.

Submitted by DieagoA.Calderón a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2012

Strengths:    Travel-weight combination

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Absolutely versatile bike

I bought the version XT/XTR, and I’m amazed, my last bike before the Pivot was the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR (before that I had, trek cannodale and GT), and this bike is waaaayyy better, has more travel and the Dwlink system is great in the climbing sections, either technical or not. I’m from Ecuador and in our privileged biking geographic, this bike does everything great, especially in the downhill sections this bikes is very maniobrable and suck every obstacles in the road, sometimes you got too much speed and when the drops shows in the way, this bike laughs of them.
Amazing Very very recommendable.

Favorite Trail:   All in Metropolitano Park

Duration Product Used:   May 2012

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Cannondale, Trek

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR version

Submitted by MSU Alum a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2012

Strengths:    Does it all, well.

Weaknesses:    In the context of what I ride, none, though I may put a 180 disc up front.

Bottom Line:
This is a 500 mile update. Still great, everything is staying solid. I have, over the years, recorded my climb times. I'm up in Park City, Utah, so the rides generally start at 7000 feet and end at 10,000. I'm 60 years old and this summer I've broken 6 (!) personal records...so far. I haven't had it to Moab, yet. I went from a 25 pound Yeti 575 to a 26 pound, stock (replaced the tires with a Nobby Noc front, Racing Ralph rear, tubeless) 5.7 carbon. I haven't noticed whether any of the colors are off, so I guess that hasn't been an issue, but now I'm going to check it out of curiosity. I have noticed that on the downhill, I'm going faster than on the Yeti at the same comfort level. Having a rear D with a clutch makes the bike very quiet, as well.

Duration Product Used:   500 miles of dirt.

Purchased At:   Go-ride SLC

Bike Setup:   Stock XT/XTR with 2.4 NN front and 2.35 RR rear.

Submitted by MSU Alum a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2012

Strengths:    Climbing, descending, level, turning, not turning sitting in my garage looking pretty!

Weaknesses:    My downhills have become dangerously fast!

Bottom Line:
I came off a Yeti 575 (2005) with a "Push'd" RP3 rear and Revelation 120-150 front, set up tubeless on Stan's rims at a weight weeny-ish sub 25 pounds. I'm 60 years old and get 700 or 800 miles of trail riding in a season in Utah. I replaced the 24 tooth with a 22 tooth up front, as much of my riding is above 9000 feet and I'm no spring chicken. The Pivot comes in at an even 26 pounds. I'm told the bike (including the stock wheelset) is extremely stiff, which would explain the sense that power transfer is instant and efficient. The steering is rock solid; goes where you point it and not easily deflected from it's course. I record my ride times, as I try different tires, pressures, etc. My old best time for a short local climb was 47:39, 2 years ago. I've beaten this time twice in the last few weeks, once riding it in 46:30, and once in 46:55, so I'm pretty happy with the bike! The suspension is more smooth, small bump compliant and bottomless feeling (by far) than my Yeti and there is no bobbing, even with propedal off (which is where I keep it). It likes to be ridden in more of a "high torque" style rather than a "spinning" style. On this bike, if it feels like I should be one gear easier, I'm in the right gear (hope that makes sense!). The XT M785 brakes are a definite upgrade from the Hayes Stroker Carbon brakes on my Yeti. The bars are 680 Vs. 660 which I like, though I clipped a few objects the first couple of days! I went from SRAM twist grips to XT shifters with no problems. I'm using the XTR Shadow Plus (clutch) on the rear with the clutch always engaged...love it! I'd recommend that or a type II SRAM on the back, as the clutch system is great. Very quiet. Great bike. Looks much better in person, than in pictures...more subtle than pictures would suggest on the colors, labels, etc. At the 1 month point I have about 200 miles of trail riding on the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Sweeny's/John's, Park City, Utah

Duration Product Used:   one month

Purchased At:   Go-Ride, Salt Lake C

Similar Products Used:   Yeti 575, Ibis Mojo SLR, Giant Reign.

Bike Setup:   This bike is the stock XT/XTR with a 2.25 Schwalbe Racing Ralph (TL, snakeskin, pacestar) on the back at 24 PSI and a Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4 (same, but trailstar) on the front at 22 PSI, running both tubeless. The rear cassette is 12-36 and the front chainrings are 22 (I replaced the 24 tooth)-32-42

Submitted by 3dean a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2012

Strengths:    Incredible bike. Climbs better than the xc bike I had (RM 70 msl carbon that was stolen; bought 5.7 as replacement) and descends for me like Pivot Firebird (which I had and traded in to get my wife a 5.7). The Firebird was probably more than I needed given my skills (limited), but in terms of going down, the Mach 5.7 feels basically like a super light Firebird. I don't know how Pivot does it. Best of both words. I can ride up and down terrain that I couldn't clear before.

Weaknesses:    I put on Nobby Nics instead of the stock Kendas.

Bottom Line:
If you want a 26 inch bike that feels like an xc going up and goes over roots and rocks like a long travel trail bike going down, this is it. Once I rode the Mach 5.7 carbon, I realized I wouldn't ride any other bikes, so quickly got over my stolen RM MSL 70 (which I really liked) and traded in my Pivot Firebird, which I had planned on keeping as a second bike but realized I wouldn't use because I don't do anything downhill that the 5.7 can't handle, and the 5,7 is 10 lbs lighter. They will have to crawl over my dead body to steal this bike.

Purchased At:   Sagebrush Cycles, Be

Similar Products Used:   RM 70 MSL (liked this bike a lot!)
Pivot Firebird
Demoed Santa Cruz Blur

Bike Setup:   24 lbs with: SRAM xx drivetrain (shifters, crank, rings, chain, cassette rear derailleur, XO front derailleur) Shimano XTR (race) brakes, DT Swiss Carbon 1350 wheels, Nobby Nic Evo tires (2.35 front, 2.25 rear), Pivot WTB seat, Azonic platform pedals, Thomson Masterpiece seatpost, Ritchey WCS 260 stem, Truvativ noir40 bar

Submitted by mrjoshua

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2012

Strengths:    Mountain Bikiing. Almost all kinds, almost anywhere

Weaknesses:    Um...let's see....cleaning the pivot/bb area is a bit challenging. Honestly that's about it.

Bottom Line:
Owned the aluminum Mach 5.7 last year and it is/was awesome, but when the carbon hit the stores my inner geek beat out my logical side,and, well, it almost always does. Definitely better than the AL: Lighter, stiffer yet more compliant, and a much more lively feel on the trail. There are currently only 3 or 4 six-ish inch travel carbon "superbikes" that are in this league: Ibis Mojo SLR, Yeti SB 66, of course this Pivot, and if you're into 29ers, the Santa Cruz Tallboy LT C has got to peg your drool meter.I have ridden the Ibis, (very nice but feels a little more XC/Marathon than trail) the Tallboy NON LT version (nice, but I am not a 29er), but not the Yeti so feel unqualified to comment. Take out a loan, buy a cheaper truck, or otherwise do whatever it takes to own this fantastic "quiver of one"

Submitted by mckinley99 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2012

Strengths:    Climbing in or out of saddle, rear wheel traction, small bump compliance, ability to ride through rough terrain at speed while seated and in a higher gear than any other bike I've ever been on. Feeling of total braking and handling control while descending. DW Link rear suspension is awesome it lives up to all the hype and more. Rigid frame, drives like on rails.

Weaknesses:    Kenda tires are quite heavy, my XTR build was 26.0 lbs after changing the rear tire to a Racing Ralph and changing the grips the bike weighed in at 25.0 lbs yesterday. Although the digital scales were different I believe both were accurate.

Bottom Line:
I've rode the 5.7 Carbon in Moab and British Columbia, Canada on very technical trails. The bike just plain makes you a better rider, my friend says my technical ability has tripled. It is a beautiful thing when the bike just goes where you want with little or no complaints. My wife asked me after a week what I thought of the bike and I just smiled and said "Stellar". If you are a person who wants the best all mountain bike on the market this should be one of your top choices. Believe the reviews they are true this bike makes a really good rider do great things. It flies down hills where before I thought my old bike was going to fall apart the Pivot feels solid and true to the line I pick. Often I just ride over the rocks while still seated where before I had to pick my way through them. Bottom Line "Awesome Bike".

Favorite Trail:   3 Blind Mice, Penticton, BC

Purchased At:   Sage Brush Cycles, B

Similar Products Used:   Giant Reign (previous bike)

Bike Setup:   XTR Build

Submitted by Budo Dave a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2012

Strengths:    The bike is really light. Power transfer feels just about right and the suspension keeps the bike nice and planted. I feel really comfortable on this bike and can't wait to get more aggressive with it.

Weaknesses:    6'-0" tall and I'm on a large. I have wide shoulders so I put a wider bar and not it feels perfect. I also changed out the grips because they felt cheap and the sat was too narrow for my backside. Overall just 3 minor adjustments and now it's perfect.

Bottom Line:
Was originally interested in a Santa Cruz Carbon Blur but stumbled upon these at a demo. This bike felt more nimble than the blur and the stumpjumper and just seemed more fun. Couldn't pass up the 15% off discount either. Great bike and a lot of fun!

Purchased At:   The Path Bike shop

Submitted by Sokchon Yi a All Mountain Rider from Seoul, Korea

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2012

Strengths:    Give 6++++ not 5, Frame is excellent with down tube design, carbon finishing, handling, head angle with 150mm folk. Specially I'm very impressed for down tube design. It gives to me a sense of stability when I'm riding. Excellent finishing of carbon frame with printings and eggshell than I thought with pictures before I got. Handling is perfect.nobody can complain for this handling.

Weaknesses:    - cable route around seat post : sometimes the cable hit my leg when I have pedaling. of course I fix this problem with cable tie temporary but need get permanent solution.
- No badge in head tube. I need a badge for my bored head tube such as al. 5.7.

Bottom Line:
Finally I got the Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon. This means that if the frame is not good to me, I can't say that, but this frame is excellent to me, I can say that because I had to waited for this frame during 6 monthes. This frame is giving to me a confidence for better descent and uphill in Korea Mountains.

Purchased At:   Mailbike, Pivot Kore

Similar Products Used:   Ibis Mojo SL, HD

Bike Setup:   Fox talas 150, Magura MT-8 brake, Crank brothers wheelset, XTR crank with shifters and derailers

Submitted by belgae1970 a All Mountain Rider from Newbury Park, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2012

Strengths:    This bike is light (27.5 lbs), but not that much lighter than my Motolite (28lbs). Slack headtube angle. Very active suspension. DW link works once it is set up correctly in tandem with the fork pressure.

Weaknesses:    Front end too light? Coming off an El Guapo with the heavier 160mm Talas fork the bike feels like a toy in comparison. Only time will tell how this bike holds up in the gnarlier sections. This is the only part where I have held off so far, otherwise the bike excels.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding MTBs for the last 8 years now and have owned a number of full suspension bicycles. Over the years I've put in the time and pain to become a better rider always pushing the envelope to see what I can get away with. That ended 2 years ago when I tore my AC joint and at 40 cannot as easily recover from my stupidity. At that point I was riding my 2009 Motolite, but my riding style required a bike that had a little more margin of error. So when I demoed the 6 inch Titus El Guapo at the beginning of last year, I had to have one. In over a year of riding I only had one fall in a season of aggressive riding. Never the less at 32.5 lbs the bike although a champion climber is not as flickable as I would like.

Last December, just like Dj who put in the first review, I demoed the 5.7 Carbon as a lark with 2 friends in SoCal, not intending to buy anything, but knew instantly that this bike could be a lot of fun. Even though I had just built a new bike at the beginning of the year and I try to go at least 3 seasons before getting a new one I was encouraged by my beautiful wife to order a new frame (I'm twice lucky).

I now have 5 rides on it in a little over a week. I built it by transferring all my motolite parts, so essentially although the bike is light, it is not significantly lighter than the motolite. It could be stiffer than the motolite, but I've never been a good judge on any succinct differences responsible. For me differences show up in what the bike lets me get away with and there the 5.7 really shines. I essentially wanted a lighter El Guapo and that I got in spades. The margin of error is the same, so that I can push this bike to extremes. 3, 4 and 5 foot drops are a pleasure and don't have to be executed with perfection so there is room to go higher without fearing a crash. It took me 5 rides to perfect the set up (fork pressure, shock pressure, stem length) but I now have it where it rides uphill very well (something that the EG with CCDB even with the additional weight excels at as well). The DW link difference is there as well. I tend to mash the pedals and the motolite under heavy pressure tended to cause a lot of bobbing that is absent in the 5.7, rocky sections are now a pleasure and don't sap my strength.

Having ridden the EG for the last year the only issue I have going back to the 5.7 is how light the front end is in comparison. Going through rock gardens at speed with the suppler 150mm fork will need getting used to, but it is so much more agile that it those circumstances a change in direction is altogether possible.

Like Dj, I want to give kudos to the Pivot demo team. Dj covered most of what I could say as well. I will add that the addition of a female with riding experience was a definite plus for those women that might enjoy the sport. I happened to see the Specialized Demo that was held on Sunday the19th in Newbury Park and although they had as many bikes, no women were to be seen to assist with bike fittings.

Ultimately, these toys of ours are not cheap and a luxury. As such they are nice to have but not essential. A level of guilt at my extravangance is ever present especially in the times we live in. Therefore, when building a new bike I always feel pressure that it ultimately be worth it, that the end result is a bike whose qualities are a noticeable improvement, not an emptier wallet. From my perspective, even after only a week of riding, the Pivot 5.7 Carbon is indeed worth it to me.

Favorite Trail:   Bearclaw Poppy

Purchased At:   Newbury Park Bike Sh

Similar Products Used:   Titus Motolite 2006 and 2009. Titus El Guapo 2010. Gary Fisher Cake1 DLX. Gary Fisher Hifi. Specialized Stumpjumper.

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT Brakset. I9/DTSwissEX5.1 rear, ZTR Arch/Hope front. Fox Talas RLC 150 Fork. Chris King Inset Headset. Thomson Stem 110 mm. Gravity Carbon 710mm Handlebar. Ergon GA1 Clamp on Grips. Shimano XTR 10 speed Rear Derailleur w/ XT 10 speed shifters, XT Front derailleur (bolt on). Shimano XT 10 Speed Cassette. XTR Pedals. WTB Bronson Race Rear, WTB Mutanoraptor 2.24 Front TCS Tires. WTB Rocket V Saddle with Ti Rails. Thomson SeatPost with Thomson seatpost clamp.

Submitted by Dj a Cross Country Rider from Southern California

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2012

Strengths:    Light - 5 pound frame weight in size small. Fast with efficient pedaling dynamics and Smooth - active/plush suspension due to DW-Link. Fox RP23 rear shox with tuning options and Kashima Coating. Stiff and very stiff. Looks - I like the matte carbon finish - I have the frame with the blue accents. Climbs like a goat, just as well as my Mach 4 but better than my Titanium hardtail. Descents are fun on this thing - I look for the roughest ugliest lines because it just plows through without hesitation - point and shoot - this bike will cause accelerated erosion to rock gardens. Wheels stay planted - eats up rough terrain climbing and descending while holding its line. Can hit tight corners and switch backs well with good stability, control and traction.

Weaknesses:    Expensive, but price is similar or less compared to other bike companies carbon trail bike offerings. A lot of blogs and forums mention different opinions about the graphics - love it or hate it - but blogs and forums can be a lot of BS. First off, the frame looks way better in person vs. pictures seen on online, catalogs, magazines, etc. Pictures don't do justice of how the bike looks in person. The graphics are ok, but I don't mind the graphics because I don't plan on entering my bike in a beauty contest, bike show, nor use it to pick up chicks - my wife likes that one, and nor do I care about turning heads on the trail. I do think the Pivot name on the bike is a bit over stated (I counted 10 times). I would personally prefer a simple minimalistic look of a plan matte carbon finish with just a white outline Pivot name/logo on the down tube, head tube badge logo and of course you gotta include Dave Weagles DW-Link logo somewhere on the frame. I can't think of any performance weakness.

Bottom Line:
I was coming off the 2011 Pivot Mach 4 which is a good xc/trail bike which I used for 8 months, but I wanted more travel, more plush suspension, slacker head tube, i also wanted a light weight carbon trail bike that pedaled well. When Pivot came up with the Mach 5.7 Carbon I was anxious to try it. Pivot had 2 Demos on Nov/December 2011 in Southern California, I went to both of them and test rode the Mach 5.7 Carbon. After the 1st demo I was totally sold, so I ordered one on November 2011 and waited up till early February 2012 to finally get my hands on it, I built it up myself, moved all the components from my Mach 4.

This bike is light. I mean you can flick it, whip it, jump it, throw it around - I mean its pretty quick, responsive and nimble. It accelerates fast. Minimal to no Pedal bob. The suspension is plush and buttery smooth through its travel most likely because of the Kashima coating, DW- Link design, and Fox RP23 shock. This bike can handle steep rough rocky climbs without the front end lifting off and no front end wandering. Awesome front end and rear end traction. With the 5.7 Carbon, I was able to easily ride through rough technical terrain that I used to sometimes put my foot down or hike a bike when I rode the above mentioned XC/trial bikes. Descends with confidence. Active suspension with good small to big bump compliance. Tracks the trail well no matter how twisty or technical. Carbon helps dampen the trail chatter, carbon is stiffer/lighter, and the ride of a carbon bike is less fatigue on my body vs. my aluminum Mach 4.

This is my first Trail Bike that has more than 4 inches of travel. Im used to bikes that are XC oriented - 4 inch suspension, hardtails, steep head angle, light weight, etc. So Im used to bikes that are fast, quick handling, climb well, pedal efficient and light weight - the Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon has all of those ride characteristics plus a lot more making it a more versatile trail bike capable of handling a variety of terrain.

Pivot Customer Service is A+: everything from the phone calls, emails and demo rides (the Pivot guys at the demos rides were very helpful to a lot of experienced mtn bikers who wanted to test ride the bikes, but what I thought was more awesome was how they helped and treated a lot of novice mtb riders and even some roadies who wanted to try out the mtn bikes - many of whom were not sure what type of bike to try). Pivot even gave away T-shirts at the demos if you test rode a bike. Pivot answered all my emails in a timely manner. Even the man himself, Chris Cocalis emailed me back re: my concern about the integrated in molded post mounts for the rear disc brakes. When I was in the middle of building up my bike w/ grease n dirt on my hand some of which got smothered over my iphone, Pivot was able to answer my questions about building/setting up my bike. Thanks Pivot, Keep up the good work and keep making awesome bikes. It wont surprise me when they come up with a Carbon Mach 4, 429 or maybe 529, and Firebird - The DW-Link w/ eccentric pivots looks interesting.

Favorite Trail:   Laguna Beach/Aliso Viejo - Rock It Trail

Purchased At:   From an online retailer

Similar Products Used:   Pivot Mach 4 2011. Titus X. Titus Racer X. Turner Flux. Everti Titanium Hardtail. GT I-Drive XC. Gary Fisher Sugar 1. Specialized FSR. GT Zaskar Hardtail. Demoed Santa Cruz Blur Carbon XC and Blut LT Carbon. I've ridden hardtails, single pivot bikes, FSR suspension, GT IDrives, and demoed VPP bikes. DW - Link works best for what I want out of a ride - pedal efficiency with active/plush suspension.

Bike Setup:   Formula The One Disc Brakes 2011. Mavic CrossMax ST Wheelset 2012. Fox Fork RLC 140. Chris King Inset Headset. Race Face Turbine Stem 100 mm. Easton Carbon Riser Handlebar. Ergon GA1 Clamp on Grips. Shimano XTR 10 speed Rear Derailleur w/ XT 10 speed shifter and SRAM XO Front Derailleur w/ XO Shifter ( I couldn't decide between XTR or SRAM XO so I use both because I roll and shift like that). Shimano XT 10 Speed Cassette. Crankbrothers Candy SL Pedals. Specialized Captain Tubeless Tires. WTB Rocket V Saddle with Ti Rails. Thomson SeatPost with Thomson seatpost clamp.

Bike weight: 25 pounds.

woohoo. I just order Pivot Mach 5.7 carbon.

woohoo. I just order Pivot Mach carbon 5.7 bike with XT mountain pedal, rockshox rev seat post, tubless tires. The price is $5200+ tax. I think it is a good deal. What do you guys think ? I just post my kidney for sale on Craiglist.Read More »

Loose lower link on Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon

Servicing a friends Pivot the other day and the lower suspension link has some serious play in it. Before I pull it all apart are these user serviceable bearings, does pivot sell a replacement kit, or are there any aftermarket options that are superior? Pretty surprised really as he is a newer rid ... Read More »

Questionable Mach 5.7 Carbon For Sale on Pinkbike

There is a "too good to be true" deal on Pinkbike for a 5.7 Carbon. It's in the NC area. Complete 2012 bike with Sram X9-X0 for $1695. Posted in the Road Bike section. [URL="http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1342953/"]Here[/URL] is the link to the post. Just thought I'd post here in case someon ... Read More »

Carbon frame durability (Mach 5.7)

Hi All, I'm pondering pulling the trigger on a Mach 5.7 frame, possibly carbon. I like the anodized finish which I realise Pivot do on their aluminium frames, (my 2 year old 5Spot looks pretty much as new). I like the way they don't buff up like a painted/clearcoated frame. Can anyone commen ... Read More »

Mach 5.7 carbon reliability

I'm looking for information about the mach 5.7 carbon reliability. Does anyone had problem with this frame? If yes, what happened? thanks! FloRead More »