Orbea Rallon 30 All Mountain Full Suspension

• Chain: Shimano HG74
  • Wheels: Shimano XT

Submitted by Blake P. a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2012

Strengths:    CC acceleration and braking, flickability, very solid DH capacity

Weaknesses:    People complain about handlebars but I don't feel any softness and can clear some very tight tree sections. Pait chips by who cares? Less contact on the front wheel in big DH sections.

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike from a 2011 demo fleet, so it is hard to say about value. I like the value for what I paid anyway. Can't complain considering the tech that you get - top flight fork, dialed rear suspension, nice wheels, light components that have been incredibly solid and steady except for worped rotors, and a beautiful frame. I am psyched whenever I get on a technical section to have a light bike with massive travel and great climbing ability at 29.5 lbs. I liked a 29 Stumpy that I rode once but I can really flick this bike and weave when the rocks present themselves in chunky sizes, as they do on 75% of any ride you get into here in AR. You really get an overall package I think, with acceleration and braking, very solid DH capacity - be careful, you will fly and have a tendency to be in more of a CC position until you get accustomed to leaning on back. Careful on the front brake, esp. in 150mm setting on the fork. Maybe that is the only drawback I see in the 26 setup here... less contact on the front wheel in big DH sections. Work the rear brake and the rear geometry and you can carve tight turns at speed, which IMHO makes a fun CC experience. The Rallon gives you fun in the flats and climbing, but then you have the plushness you are looking for right there when you need it, even in Pro Pedal and the 130mm setting on the fork. 130 is the best position by far for all but the very steep and deep runs.

I know there are sections where you could have had a better roll over those particular rocks on a 29er, but I think that balances out with 1) damn good suspension for most sections and 2) the ability to pick a line to handle the terrain. For me that is what it's all about anyway.

Favorite Trail:   Eureka Springs, Lost Ridge